Baseball is BACK!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Baseball is BACK!!

Post by MacLaren »

Looks like we have a 60 game season.
That works for me!! :D
I'm ready for some Braves games!! :D
SG89

Re: Baseball is BACK!!

Post by SG89 »

How do y'all feel about the new rules? Such as extra innings are to be started with a runner on 2nd base, a pitcher must pitch against at least 3 batters or until the inning is over, national league games will now have a designated hitter. I don't like the first rule and I'm fine with the second and third rule.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wooohooo!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 pm
How do y'all feel about the new rules? Such as extra innings are to be started with a runner on 2nd base, a pitcher must pitch against at least 3 batters or until the inning is over, national league games will now have a designated hitter. I don't like the first rule and I'm fine with the second and third rule.
My daughter plays college softball, we've been playing ITB (International Tie Breaker) in travel ball for years! I really don't care for it but it does speed up the ending of the game, which is usually what tournament director (and umps) want!

Usually the key to starting out putting a runner on 2B is where you are in your hitting lineup, makes a huge difference if you're at the top of your lineup and the opposing team has their 7 through 9 hitters coming up!

I'm just used to it in fastpitch, it's just not right in baseball, especially MLB baseball!
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:26 pm
Pitchers should be fresh & healthy after a 60 game schedule, should make for an interesting post-season!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:36 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:26 pm
Pitchers should be fresh & healthy after a 60 game schedule, should make for an interesting post-season!
That's a dam good point!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 pm
Good questions.
I don't think I like the first one either.
The 2nd is OK, and the last - its about dam time :D
benben

Post by benben »

I try to be a National League purest but they've needed the DH rule changed for about two decades now, at least two decades!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Anything to hurry play along, but I do like the strategic distinction the designated hitter has given the two leagues and would not have changed it.

I’ll take 60 games over none, but will remain worried that it’s too soon.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not like #1. I do like #2 and think it is long past due. #3 is so-so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've been clamoring for the DH in the NL forever! The other changes are fine with me, it does get a little monotonous swapping pitchers every batter.

Love to see my Dodgers back in action but I'm having a hard time getting excited about all of this. No March Madness, no cheating, no fantasy baseball, no Wildcat basketball...no disappointment :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've been hoping for a DH in the NL for a long time. It should definitely be a fun season! I'm just glad for something normal to return 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

The boys of summer (mid-summer) hit the fields tonight! Yankees/Nats and Dodgers/Giants :D

I truly didn't expect baseball to be back this year, nor did I think my Dodgers would sign Mookie so early... :p

Let's play ball!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Watching my beloved Cards play Pittsburgh right now! There is something about having baseball back that makes things feel like they're gonna be okay.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:43 pm
Watching my beloved Cards play Pittsburgh right now! There is something about having baseball back that makes things feel like they're gonna be okay.
Ugghhh...as a Brewers fan, you've dropped a few notches on my favorites list around here!! Just as bad as Pat being a Cubs fan! :p

I hear ya though, even though the Brewers were just televised here on ESPN...and lost to the Cubs, it was great to see some live sports. So bizarre without fans though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:57 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:43 pm
Ugghhh...as a Brewers fan, you've dropped a few notches on my favorites list around here!! Just as bad as Pat being a Cubs fan! :p

I hear ya though, even though the Brewers were just televised here on ESPN...and lost to the Cubs, it was great to see some live sports. So bizarre without fans though!
No. Nothing is as bad as being a Cubs fan. ;) ;) And don't hate me just because my home team happens to be one of the winningest teams in all of baseball history!

In one of the expo games they had cardboard cutouts of fans in the seats behind home plate - that was wierd! I think they should keep doing that, but make a joke out of it. Like put in cutouts of celebrities doing wierd stuff, or stick the whole muppet gang in the seats.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree! I bet the players would get a kick out something like that too. Heck, us as fans think it's weird looking at these empty stadiums, I can't imagine being an actual player. Home field advantage really doesn't have its benefits this year. Or watching Rizzo blast a homerun last night, all you heard was faint cheering from the Cubs dugout...and they were at home!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:25 am
I agree! I bet the players would get a kick out something like that too. Heck, us as fans think it's weird looking at these empty stadiums, I can't imagine being an actual player. Home field advantage really doesn't have its benefits this year. Or watching Rizzo blast a homerun last night, all you heard was faint cheering from the Cubs dugout...and they were at home!
My husband and I were just talking about that today (as we watched the Cards take home another win :D ). We both wondered if there'd be any real home field advantage this year since the players must get so hyped up from listening to their fans. Then again, maybe they learn to zone all that out and it's just the familiar field that gives them the advantage. It'll be interesting to see.

Edit: So they have been playing fake fan noises during the games - not sure if they're piping it into the stadium or if it's just on tv. My husband said when soccer first came back without any spectators, they didn't do that at first, but quickly realized they had to do it to cover up all the cussing and trash talking the players do on the field! 🤣
- Julia

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, my Braves are 1-1.
Pulled it out in 10 innings today.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I liked the pitchers hitting in the NL, but I realize that the game has evolved too much to expect pitchers to hit. I'll miss the days of the likes of Glavine and Smoltz being threats to go yard.

I like making relievers face three batters or get to the end of the inning. The figurative chess match was getting very close to becoming a literal chess match.

I'm not sure about the ITB rule. It was fun to occasionally get a long extra innings game on a night where I wasn't working the next day so I could stay up. But I also understand the need to keep younger fans engaged and better fit within TV time slots. It certainly made the ending of the Braves / Mets game exciting this afternoon.