Smart Phones

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Smart Phones

Post by Ankerson »

What does everyone have and or are you thinking about upgrading etc. ?

I have an IPHONE 6 32GB and it's fine for what I do. :)

Might get an IPHONE 11 or SE once the IPHONE 6 stops getting updates, currently on IOS 12.4.7.

Used to have a Samsung Eternity back in 2009, but went back to a flip phone, Samsung M360 in 2010. Due to poor battery life and browser etc.

Used the Samsung M360 flip phone until not long ago, actually has a few cracks in it, starting to fall apart it seemed. Not bad for a 10 YO phone.

Got the IPHONE 6 from a relative, and it looks brand new and with 100% battery health. :cool:
Xplorer

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Xplorer »

I have a Galaxy 10 and I've been very happy with it. My wife and both kids have I-phones and I prefer my Galaxy phone. I have all of the functionality that they have plus a better looking screen, and a better camera. If you consider going away from Apple I would definitely suggest a Galaxy phone.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Just get one of these:
article-2572081-1BFF919E00000578-241_634x475.jpg
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Xplorer wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:55 am
I have a Galaxy 10 and I've been very happy with it. My wife and both kids have I-phones and I prefer my Galaxy phone. I have all of the functionality that they have plus a better looking screen, and a better camera. If you consider going away from Apple I would definitely suggest a Galaxy phone.

I don't know what I will get next after the IPHONE 6 stops getting updates. Should be awhile yet so I have plenty of time to think about that later. :)

With the IPHONE 12's coming out later this year too so that puts more options on the table.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just upgraded to a Samsung Note 10 Plus
I love it
My wife has the Apple 11 Pro Max and she loves it.
But, I had before a Note 8 and loved it too.
Cool thing with the Note 10 Plus, is that I got $200 worth of free merchandise in the store!
I got my Otter Case, That liquid glass stuff to protect the screen, a portable battery, waterproof ear buds and a blue tooth ear buds set as well.
It was a pretty good upgrade!
I am with Sprint
Edit* A big factor as to why I went ahead and upgraded Friday was because that was the last day to receive the $200 in store merchandise, plus it was their last Note 10 Plus too.
But, I am so very glad I did upgrade!!
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun May 24, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:48 am
Xplorer wrote:

I don't know what I will get next after the IPHONE 6 stops getting updates. Should be awhile yet so I have plenty of time to think about that later. :)

With the IPHONE 12's coming out later this year too so that puts more options on the table.
I gotta say Jim, that if ya like watching videos or movies on your phone, then I think the Samsung Note 10 Plus or another Samsung 10 would be hard to beat. Also feel that in some ways and even my wife agrees, that the phone on my Note 8 was better than her IPhone 11. The camera on the Note 10 Plus is way better than the Note 8. So, ya may wanna consider that too.
But, as far as the camera goes in general, her IPhone 11 is awesome. Pretty much splitting hairs, but I would give the edge to both watching videos and pics to Samsung.
The iPhone 11 Pro Max is an incredible phone too though.
I just really prefer Samsung.
BTW, the battery life on this Note 10 Plus is freaking awesome!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Xplorer wrote:
Dude, we are in the same boat.
I love my Samsungs/Android
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:22 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Xplorer wrote:

I gotta say Jim, that if ya like watching videos or movies on your phone, then I think the Samsung Note 10 Plus or another Samsung 10 would be hard to beat. Also feel that in some ways and even my wife agrees, that the phone on my Note 8 was better than her IPhone 11. The camera on the Note 10 Plus is way better than the Note 8. So, ya may wanna consider that too.
But, as far as the camera goes in general, her IPhone 11 is awesome. Pretty much splitting hairs, but I would give the edge to both watching videos and pics to Samsung.

I mainly read things etc. on the phone if I happen to be out and waiting around for something.

Just normal things really, check email, browse the internet etc.

Not all that big of a deal really, I don't live on my phone. :)

But yes YT does work very well on the IP 6 if I want to watch a video.

If I really wanted and did a lot more I would just get an IPAD to get a much larger device if I was traveling or something like that.

Yes, I know I am boring, but I am used to a PC with a large 27" monitor. :o
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like iPhones because they play nice with my laptop (also an Apple product). The ability to take calls and answer messages from my laptop, share bookmarks, photos & files between them is fantastic. Currently have an 8, will upgrade at some point but it still works great. I do think that Portrait Mode is a great feature, and that's only on the newer ones.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:18 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Xplorer wrote:

I mainly read things etc. on the phone if I happen to be out and waiting around for something.

If I really wanted and did a lot more I would just get an IPAD to get a much larger device if I was traveling or something like that.

No, I totally understand.
And, honestly thats a good thing!
Heck, anything you choose should be just fine then Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:22 pm
I like iPhones because they play nice with my laptop (also an Apple product). The ability to take calls and answer messages from my laptop, share bookmarks, photos & files between them is fantastic. Currently have an 8, will upgrade at some point but it still works great. I do think that Portrait Mode is a great feature, and that's only on the newer ones.
Yeah, they really have come a very long way.

I do remember the 1st IPHONE, it wasn't mine, but I had to do a lot with it for the person.

Yes, they really have it down now and they really do work well even with a PC now, and that's good.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:25 pm
Ankerson wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

I won't get anything until I have to, once the IP 6 stops getting updates I will get something. :)

It would be more of a need than a want.

I don't need bleeding edge top of the line, so I figured an IP 11 or SE or maybe one of the IP 12's.

I save that for my PC, top of the line bleeding edge. :cool:

Will choose once I have to.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

I won't get anything until I have to, once the IP 6 stops getting updates I will get something. :)

I don't need bleeding edge top of the line, so I figured an IP 11 or SE or maybe one of the IP 12's.

That's the best way imo
I just do everything with the phone.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:38 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

That's the best way imo
I just do everything with the phone.

If I broke it down comparing my PC to phones.

My Graphics card (just the graphics card) costs as much as an IP 11 PRO MAX. I will get at least 3 or 4 years out of that before I might have to upgrade due to newer games etc. needing more performance.

My Monitor costs as much as an IP 11, but I will be using that monitor for a VERY, VERY long time. Longer than most people would go through 3 or 4+ smart phones.

My logic might not make since to some, but I would rather spend money on my gaming PC than a cell phone. :)

I think I get more for my money that way. :cool:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have a Samsung S7 Edge. It's fine for what I do.

My mom has an iPhone and all of the security features drive her nuts. She's probably going to trade it in for a new Samsung/Android phone. Here's the thing. If you work in business and need all the security, I think it's fine, it's just overkill for her.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

"Smart phones" are just another tool. I'm running a Samsung S8+ right now, previously it was a Note 3 then a Note 4....I'm contemplating going back to a Note because I used the S-pen a great deal.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:56 pm
"Smart phones" are just another tool. I'm running a Samsung S8+ right now, previously it was a Note 3 then a Note 4....I'm contemplating going back to a Note because I used the S-pen a great deal.

That's a good way to look at it IMO. :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:53 pm

My mom has an iPhone and all of the security features drive her nuts. She's probably going to trade it in for a new Samsung/Android phone. Here's the thing. If you work in business and need all the security, I think it's fine, it's just overkill for her.

I suppose it depends if they really need them or not.

These days one just really never knows and with all what people keep on their smart phones they may not be such a bad thing? :confused:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:13 pm
Naperville wrote:

These days one just really never knows and with all what people keep on their smart phones they may not be such a bad thing? :confused:
No, I think differentiation is excellent. I'm not wanted by the FBI or Interpol, and I've never worked anywhere where anything I knew or had access too was of national security. I think more security is always good too. But my mom is 80 and the tech drives her nutz.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:13 pm
Naperville wrote:

No, I think differentiation is excellent. I'm not wanted by the FBI or Interpol, and I've never worked anywhere where anything I knew or had access too was of national security. I think more security is always good too. But my mom is 80 and the tech drives her nutz.

I don't either these days and not for over 3 decades.

You could just adjust the settings for her to make it less of a hassle. :cool:

My Aunt is 73 and she loves her IPHONE and IPAD. :D