Smart Phones

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Ankerson »

Got the case in today. :cool:

Phone Rebel Crystal Case.

Front side of the Phone Rebel and Otter Symmetry.

Back Side...

Showing the shock absorbers here, they are blue.

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I just recently upgraded my iPhone 6 to.... an iPhone 7.
The 6 got to where it just wouldn't pick up a cell signal anymore, and deplete the battery in just a couple hours constantly searching.
The main thing I notice about the 7, it's significantly faster than the 6.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:51 pm
The 6 got to where it just wouldn't pick up a cell signal anymore, and deplete the battery in just a couple hours constantly searching.

You got it new?

Should last you for a few years or until it runs out of updates... Not sure when that will be, when Apple will stop supporting it..
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 pm
jpm2 wrote:

You got it new?

Should last you for a few years or until it runs out of updates... Not sure when that will be, when Apple will stop supporting it..
I needed something quick and didn't want to spend $1k, got it used for $100 but seems to be like new... maybe refurbished?
Hopefully apple will keep updating it a couple years.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

You got it new?

I needed something quick and didn't want to spend $1k, got it used for $100 but seems to be like new... maybe refurbished?

Should be Ok for a couple of years I think, just keep an eye on it to see once the updates stop..

I believe it's going to be SEPT 2022....
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:51 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

You got it new?

Should be Ok for a couple of years I think, just keep an eye on it to see once the updates stop..

:) That's a pretty specific date, had to look it up... 5 years after being discontinued. Makes sense and sounds good to me.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:00 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:51 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

You got it new?

:) That's a pretty specific date, had to look it up... 5 years after being discontinued. Makes sense and sounds good to me.

The way Apple makes their products is they over spec them for the current time they are made thinking 5 years down the road. Unlike the other makers IPHONES are still good long after their release....
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I still use an iPhone 6s Plus.

I’m a heavy user and haven’t found a need to switch up. The upcoming iOS 14 evidently purrs on it, so I suppose I’ll keep on keeping on.

I simply adore what this phone can do for me. I’m content to replace batteries and Otterbox cases ‘tIl the cows come home.

My Apple ecosystem does not extend beyond my phone and an iPad Pro. I run various flavors of Linux and also have a laptop with Windows 10 for some legacy software I need for my never-ending book.

If I have one complaint about iOS devices, it’s the need for iTunes to transfer music I’ve ripped. I use Evermusic Pro as a workaround. I refuse to load iTune’s on my Windows machine; the app simply kills Microsoft performance, and I have no interest in creating a virtual machine for it.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:06 am
I still use an iPhone 6s Plus.

I’m a heavy user and haven’t found a need to switch up. The upcoming iOS 14 evidently purrs on it, so I suppose I’ll keep on keeping on.

I simply adore what this phone can do for me. I’m content to replace batteries and Otterbox cases ‘tIl the cows come home.

My Apple ecosystem does not extend beyond my phone and an iPad Pro. I run various flavors of Linux and also have a laptop with Windows 10 for some legacy software I need for my never-ending book.

If I have one complaint about iOS devices, it’s the need for iTunes to transfer music I’ve ripped. I use Evermusic Pro as a workaround. I refuse to load iTune’s on my Windows machine; the app simply kills Microsoft performance, and I have no interest in creating a virtual machine for it.

Must be a pretty old or slow PC if Itunes does anything to it.

I have it on mine for updates and backups for my IPHONE and IPAD and it does nothing to it at all.

It's like it's not even there.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If iTunes has become more well-behaved (haven’t used it for several years since I changed an old Dell laptop to Debian), OK, but once burned, twice shy...
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:54 am
If iTunes has become more well-behaved (haven’t used it for several since I changed an old Dell laptop to Debian), OK, but once burned, twice shy...

Laptops were pretty pathetic in general until not very long ago really. My IPAD Air 3 has more power than most laptops even today other than the high end models...

But yea if you were running it on an older laptop I can understand. I also remember what ITUNES used to be like when the 1st IPHONES were out... But then most PC's were actually pretty anemic (The ones most people would buy anyway) so who knows... It did fine on my higher end gaming desktop back then, but the laptop not so much....
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Just gotta come back here and say y'all, I recently purchased a new phone on a whim because it was a good deal. It is a Oneplus 7 Pro. I cannot begin to tell you how nice the upgraded 90mHz refresh rate is on this phone. The display is gorgeous and infinitely smooth, the phone is wicked fast (Snapdragon 855 octacore processor, Adreno 640 GPU, UFS 3.0 storage and 12gb of RAM), stereo speakers, innovative camera designs. Absolutely adore this phone and it outperforms the iPhone 11 Promax in graphics tests which is honestly pretty insane. Has the company's fast charge system which in my experience gets the battery from 15-100 percent in about 45 mins. I paid $550 for it out the door. If anyone asked me to recommend them a super high performance android phone that just checks all the boxes, it would be this one.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ethan wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:56 am
I have a Samsung Note 9 and I bought this mobile two or three months ago but I am thinking of upgrading from Samsung to iPhone but I don't understand which model I should take in iPhone because I have been using it for a long time. iPhones are very different from Android phones. Please suggest which iPhone model I should take that meets my needs.

Depends on what you want to do with it really.

Watch a few Iphone 11 and maybe 11 Pro reviews and see.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

One thing that kind of bugs me these days are people fussing about new cellphone prices. Most companies make cell phones in different price ranges these days. If somebody has to have the latest and greatest then they should be willing to pay the premium to have it. I know some of the older members here might remember the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X. It sold for $3,995 in 1984 and that is equivalent to almost $10,000. You can find cell phones in that price range even today but they are generally standard cell phones that are customized by certain companies with precious metals, gems and other luxury materials. In my opinion we are getting one **** of a deal since we can buy smart phones (AKA Pocket computer) cheaper than you could buy a cell phone that only made phone calls. Looking at performance, computers and smart phones are much more powerful than Super Computers of the past which is crazy when you really think about it. Technology has advanced very fast in such a short amount of time. I think the next decade we will see some amazing advancements in computers and smart phones. I love new tech, retro tech and comparing them in different ways. I did upgrade my iPhone 6s to a iPhone SE 2020. Cool thing is the iPhone 6s still holds up really well in my opinion. I do plan to upgrade to the 5.4" iPhone 12 "Mini" when it's released. I hope they keep the smaller smart phones around since I hate a big phone. One type of phone I wish I could find was a basic phone that that can make calls, text, has a physical keyboard, everything resistant, non color energy efficient screen, have a decent size battery while keeping the overall size of the phone very compact. I would buy 2 or 3 of those to keep on hand when I go into the bush or somewhere I don't want to be distracted and will be gone for a extend period of time. Basically it would be my perfect field phone. Would anybody else be interested in something like that?
vivi

Post by vivi »

My purchasing habits have been to buy non-chinese flagship Androids from a year or two ago. You can get them new, off contract, no strings attached for $200-400. I get a new one maybe every 3 or 4 years. Main reason I upgrade is the camera. For example my last phone had one lens. My current one has a regular lens, wide angle and macro lens. Its also waterproof and has another 1,000mah battery capacity.

I'm weird in that I tend towards custom ROMS, and I never touch anything google. On my current phone I don't have any google apps installed, have never used the play store, and never sign into a google account even through a web browser. I install customized ad blockers on web browsers most people have never heard of. I download apps from f-droid, github, sourceforge and and the developers home pages.

I've used iphones in the past but its a much bigger headache modding them to get the flexibility even stock android offers, much less custom operating systems. If you want a phone that "just works" out of the box I see the appeal. Apple phones also tend to have very nice cameras, which I can appreciate.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with itunes software. Last time I used it, if I wanted to add one song to my phone from my pc, I had to re-sync my entire 5,000+ song playlist, and it took longer than dragging and dropping the same songs to a USB drive through my file browser. Turned me off apple real quick.
:unicorn