Smart Phones

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Ankerson »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 am
DSH007 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 am
I had an iphone 6S for over 4 years and it worked just fine.. still does.. except it got to the point where the battery would only last about half a day before needing a charge and less if I actually needed to use it for something (maps, geocaching, music, etc), which was a pain. I probably could have just gotten a new battery, but I believe the 6s is next on the block to lose support from apple.. so about two weeks ago I upgraded to the new iphone SE 2020. Does all the same stuff my 6s did.. and a lot of cool new things (wireless charging!!.. sorcery!).. and I get about 2 days out of a charge if I don't use it a lot. It's essentially the "base model" iphone, but it has all the features that I need and it has the newest "chip," so I figure it should be "update-able" for the foreseeable future. I plan on running it into the ground as long as it remains a supported model and the battery hold ups.. And the best part is that it costs less than half the price of the other fancier iphone models.

I'd highly recommend the new iphone SE if you're like me and "good enough is all you need."

Also.. I've had my cellphone plan through Consumer Cellular for the past 4+ years. My plan costs $29 a month for 3 gigs of data, unlimited texts, and 250 min talk. I bought the new phone outright, so the plan will stay at $29/month. I get some laughs when I tell people I have Consumer Cellular, but the service is great as far as cell reception goes, easy to use, customizable based on your data needs.. and wayyy less expensive than most other plans (switched from verizon and will never go back..). People usually stop laughing when I tell them what my plan costs haha. I'd highly recommend Consumer Cellular as well if you're looking to save some money. Haha I can't wait until I'm old enough to get the AARP discount on my plan! Only 15 more years!

:)

I have Consumer Cellular and AARP. :D

My plan is $28 a month with the 3 gigs of data.

Unlimited talk and texts.
Hahah, great minds right...

Then you probably also know how easy CC makes it to update your device.. Can't go wrong with that new SE..

:)

Yes, very easy. :)
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 am
Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am
I have a Iphone 6s. I was hardcore Android and PC for year’s. I swore I would never buy a Iphone or anything Apple. Well my android phone broke I didn’t have a lot of money. My wife at the time needed a new phone as well so she went to get us phones. She came back with two IPhone 6s. Didn’t take long before I was hooked. Next thing I know I have a Ipad. Next will be a Macbook Pro 13”. All i can say is their products feel quality and so far hold up like they are quality. I understand why people take about the Apple Ecosystem now.

I think the funniest things about watching reviews on Apple stuff is how little even the reviewers know about technology and what things cost or should really cost.

I mean they really have no idea at all from what I have been seeing.

Everyone who had been around awhile knows Apple products generally cost a little more, it's always been that way so nothing has changed there. Apple is a hardware seller and always has been, they give the OS away and support it. So in general the hardware is very good as is the overall quality of the products.

Well the people doing the reviews aren't old enough to even realize that part, not even remotely close...

Hearing them talk about the difference between a 60 Hz display and 120 Hz displays on the IPADS is extremely funny. They really don't understand how much more expensive the 120 Hz panels are. And we are talking about good high quality panels here.

And the keyboards for the IPADS, .... OMG!!!!! Hear them crying about $150 for a Smart Keyboard for the IPAD and the Pencil for $99 like the whole world is ending.... There are less expensive options out there however.

Then there is the storage cost... Going from the entry level storage to the higher end options.... Not really bad at all IMO for what you are getting, but they cry like babies over it. It's NOT that much of a difference, not really. And it's integrated storage, not just some SSD that some like to compare the prices too. There is a MASSIVE difference in real cost between the two on the hardware end for the manufacture.

And it just goes on and on... It's like they think Apple should be giving their products away for free from the way they talk.

They are talking about technology here and Apple, but they just don't really understand the complexity of that and what they are talking about.

The good thing is there are some people who do actually know what they are talking about when getting into the tech and what does what and what people would actually need etc. They are much more realistic also as in get X from the start or they may run into real problems later or have to upgrade to a higher end product.

It says a lot if someone can get an IPAD and then can still use that said IPAD 6 years later and it still does well.

In the last 10 year’s I have had three $1500 -2000 HP laptops. I tried to do everything I could do to make them last. **** my older Brother went to college for computers and works for a Government contractor. He has went through numerous windows based pc’s over the year’s as well. While both of us did what we could to make them last they just never seemed to last and most of them just felt cheaply made. If I spend $2500-3000 on a Macbook Pro like I want and it last me 10 years or more I would call that a bargain. Not to mention how well my other Apple products seamlessly integrate with each other and they feel solid and quality. Also once you learn the Iphone, Ipad and computer’s you realize how intuitive the layout and functions are. I’ll pay more for a product that in my opinion is better quality and last longer. Also I am thinking about upgrading to the 2020 SE myself. It’s very close to the same size as my 6s which is a big deal to me. I hate a big phone more than anything.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:19 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 am
Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am
I have a Iphone 6s. I was hardcore Android and PC for year’s. I swore I would never buy a Iphone or anything Apple. Well my android phone broke I didn’t have a lot of money. My wife at the time needed a new phone as well so she went to get us phones. She came back with two IPhone 6s. Didn’t take long before I was hooked. Next thing I know I have a Ipad. Next will be a Macbook Pro 13”. All i can say is their products feel quality and so far hold up like they are quality. I understand why people take about the Apple Ecosystem now.

I think the funniest things about watching reviews on Apple stuff is how little even the reviewers know about technology and what things cost or should really cost.

I mean they really have no idea at all from what I have been seeing.

Everyone who had been around awhile knows Apple products generally cost a little more, it's always been that way so nothing has changed there. Apple is a hardware seller and always has been, they give the OS away and support it. So in general the hardware is very good as is the overall quality of the products.

Well the people doing the reviews aren't old enough to even realize that part, not even remotely close...

Hearing them talk about the difference between a 60 Hz display and 120 Hz displays on the IPADS is extremely funny. They really don't understand how much more expensive the 120 Hz panels are. And we are talking about good high quality panels here.

And the keyboards for the IPADS, .... OMG!!!!! Hear them crying about $150 for a Smart Keyboard for the IPAD and the Pencil for $99 like the whole world is ending.... There are less expensive options out there however.

Then there is the storage cost... Going from the entry level storage to the higher end options.... Not really bad at all IMO for what you are getting, but they cry like babies over it. It's NOT that much of a difference, not really. And it's integrated storage, not just some SSD that some like to compare the prices too. There is a MASSIVE difference in real cost between the two on the hardware end for the manufacture.

And it just goes on and on... It's like they think Apple should be giving their products away for free from the way they talk.

They are talking about technology here and Apple, but they just don't really understand the complexity of that and what they are talking about.

The good thing is there are some people who do actually know what they are talking about when getting into the tech and what does what and what people would actually need etc. They are much more realistic also as in get X from the start or they may run into real problems later or have to upgrade to a higher end product.

It says a lot if someone can get an IPAD and then can still use that said IPAD 6 years later and it still does well.

In the last 10 year’s I have had three $1500 -2000 HP laptops. I tried to do everything I could do to make them last. **** my older Brother went to college for computers and works for a Government contractor. He has went through numerous windows based pc’s over the year’s as well. While both of us did what we could to make them last they just never seemed to last and most of them just felt cheaply made. If I spend $2500-3000 on a Macbook Pro like I want and it last me 10 years or more I would call that a bargain. Not to mention how well my other Apple products seamlessly integrate with each other and they feel solid and quality. Also once you learn the Iphone, Ipad and computer’s you realize how intuitive the layout and functions are. I’ll pay more for a product that in my opinion is better quality and last longer. Also I am thinking about upgrading to the 2020 SE myself. It’s very close to the same size as my 6s which is a big deal to me. I hate a big phone more than anything.

Oh, I used work on Computers and MACs and did for a long time. :)

Both in the field and over the phone.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Mike Slayer wrote:

That's the thing about other manufacturers vs Apple. Apples products will last because they are built with high quality parts. Others use inferior parts that will last long enough, but you will have to get a new one in 5 years max. Caps, resistors, chokes, the pcb itself... All engineered to be good enough and that's about it. Which is why I build my computers. You come out cheaper and your components are higher quality and last (such as my 10 year old pc at home that is still going strong).

I don't like apple for personal reasons so I will never own their products but they do work and work well.

I did just buy myself a cheap gaming laptop though. Being on the road sucks without entertainment, and my kindle fire just wasn't cutting it. Now I can do work, game, and watch whatever I want. Will it last a long time? I don't know, we will see. I'm happy with it though, and have another stick of ram coming for it so I can get that dual channel goodness going!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:18 am
Mike Slayer wrote:

That's the thing about other manufacturers vs Apple. Apples products will last because they are built with high quality parts. Others use inferior parts that will last long enough, but you will have to get a new one in 5 years max. Caps, resistors, chokes, the pcb itself... All engineered to be good enough and that's about it. Which is why I build my computers. You come out cheaper and your components are higher quality and last (such as my 10 year old pc at home that is still going strong).

I don't like apple for personal reasons so I will never own their products but they do work and work well.

I did just buy myself a cheap gaming laptop though. Being on the road sucks without entertainment, and my kindle fire just wasn't cutting it. Now I can do work, game, and watch whatever I want. Will it last a long time? I don't know, we will see. I'm happy with it though, and have another stick of ram coming for it so I can get that dual channel goodness going!

When people buy an OEM PC they get what they get.

Some are better than others as far as parts go, but they all cut corners on parts.

I also build my own and put in the highest quality parts I can so they last.

I still have an old 2005 Dell Laptop and it does still work today... Although it's slow....

But an IPAD, especially the new ones like the Air and PRO are better than MOST laptops.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I finally bought an iPhone SE just before they went disco. Bought it because it was small.

I only use it when I go out since there's no public phones anymore.

I take more pictures than make calls.

I had two iPod Touch (trainers) before that.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 am
Just a head's up for any desk top builders out there. I recently updated an old win7pro to windows10pro using a new ssd and a clean install of a downloaded iso file (v1909) for a thumbdrive.

I installed with the "I don't have a license option" and with the internet ethernet cable disconnected. It did a full install without requiring signing up for a Microsoft account.

When it finally started to bug me about activating windows, I gave it my old Win7 OEM Builder Disk key code and it was accepted.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

shunsui wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 am
Ankerson wrote:
Just a head's up for any desk top builders out there. I recently updated an old win7pro to windows10pro using a new ssd and a clean install of a downloaded iso file (v1909) for a thumbdrive.

I installed with the "I don't have a license option" and with the internet ethernet cable disconnected. It did a full install without requiring signing up for a Microsoft account.

When it finally started to bug me about activating windows, I gave it my old Win7 OEM Builder Disk key code and it was accepted.
You can also get the product key through command line as well, you can Google the commands. I had to do this once when a friend bought a used laptop and the other guy couldn't remember the password and I don't know what they ended up doing but the stupid thing wouldn't even work when they were done. Ended up just telling windows to do a wipe and reinstall, and then pulled the product key after that to activate it.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to touch a computer lol!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 am
shunsui wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 am
Ankerson wrote:

You can also get the product key through command line as well, you can Google the commands. I had to do this once when a friend bought a used laptop and the other guy couldn't remember the password and I don't know what they ended up doing but the stupid thing wouldn't even work when they were done. Ended up just telling windows to do a wipe and reinstall, and then pulled the product key after that to activate it.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to touch a computer lol!

80% of computer problems are between the chair and the keyboard.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

shunsui wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:18 am
I finally bought an iPhone SE just before they went disco. Bought it because it was small.

I only use it when I go out since there's no public phones anymore.

I take more pictures than make calls.

I had two iPod Touch (trainers) before that.
I like my IPAD Air. :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interesting thread. I programmed my first digital computer in 1964 whilst in the Navy training on the Mk-84 Polaris ICBM, the submarine launched ballistic missile program. We learned to program in machine language (octal, or base-eight) and later in assembler. I have fixed them, torn them apart and modified them and trouble shot more than I can remember. Skipping over the long and tortuous wreckage of the PCDOS, MSDOS and CP/M and their Mad Hatter, Rube Goldberg Uncle Windows (in all of its mutations) I won’t even consider a non-Apple product.

In spite of jeers from my Blackberry toting IBM colleagues I bought the first iPhone on the third day after it was released. Could not get near the Apple store any sooner. Same with the iPad. Now, I will be 78 this year and have a large iMac for the household, a first generation iPad Air and an iPhone 11. My wife uses an iPhone 6 and she is no tech wizard. Our daughter uses an iPhone 8 and MacBook Pro for her business and our son, a licensed neuropsychologist uses an iPhone 10, a MacBook Pro and an iPad.

The great thing is that we are all part of the Apple eco system. FaceTime over WiFi, Air Drop files, photos, etc directly to each other, share calendars, collaborate on work documents are only a few of the advantages.

Someone mentioned difficult security operational issues. What’s that? Once set up, which is easy to do, newer iPhones and iPads can use fingerprint recognition or face recognition and will remember the user names and passwords of other websites as well

Now, I’m looking to move my Air along after six years and get an iPad Pro.

Gotta love it,
!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am
Interesting thread. I programmed my first digital computer in 1964 whilst in the Navy training on the Mk-84 Polaris ICBM, the submarine launched ballistic missile program. We learned to program in machine language (octal, or base-eight) and later in assembler. I have fixed them, torn them apart and modified them and trouble shot more than I can remember. Skipping over the long and tortuous wreckage of the PCDOS, MSDOS and CP/M and their Mad Hatter, Rube Goldberg Uncle Windows (in all of its mutations) I won’t even consider a non-Apple product.

In spite of jeers from my Blackberry toting IBM colleagues I bought the first iPhone on the third day after it was released. Could not get near the Apple store any sooner. Same with the iPad. Now, I will be 78 this year and have a large iMac for the household, a first generation iPad Air and an iPhone 11. My wife uses an iPhone 6 and she is no tech wizard. Our daughter uses an iPhone 8 and MacBook Pro for her business and our son, a licensed neuropsychologist uses an iPhone 10, a MacBook Pro and an iPad.

The great thing is that we are all part of the Apple eco system. FaceTime over WiFi, Air Drop files, photos, etc directly to each other, share calendars, collaborate on work documents are only a few of the advantages.

Someone mentioned difficult security operational issues. What’s that? Once set up, which is easy to do, newer iPhones and iPads can use fingerprint recognition or face recognition and will remember the user names and passwords of other websites as well

Now, I’m looking to move my Air along after six years and get an iPad Pro.

Gotta love it,
!

I thought it might be something different to talk about.

And the new ones (IPAD Air and IPHONE 6) play well with my PC also. :D

ITUNES installed on the PC.

Not exactly a bad thing. :cool:

The really cool thing is if I am on my IPAD and I get a call etc on the IPHONE I can answer it on my IPAD.

Don't even have to touch the IPHONE. :cool:

Battery life on the new IPAD AIR 3rd Gen is excellent.... Can use it for 8 hours straight actually doing stuff with no problem.

With the new IPOS 13.5 it works very well and even running full sized programs and webpages it's quick and smooth.

The Apple pencil is a must buy. :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

IPAD AIR 3rd Gen with Smart Keyboard.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Man, Smart Phones are pretty awesome.
I love being able to put YouTube vids or whatever is on my phone right onto my t.v. ( Samsung Note 10 + )
Also like being able to control the lighting in my house.
Haven't done that yet, but I will. Having Android and Apple Auto are another great thing. We live in some pretty cool times, minus the recent happenings here lately.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

We bought our kids iPods for travel (and wow, 13 hours with kids is so much easier when they have devices to distract them), and now both of them have saved up their money and bough iPads and apple pencils. It's really a phenomenal piece of technology. I'm really astonished at how much artwork they are doing with them. Amazing, versatile devices, that aren't just being used as miniature TV substitutes.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 pm
I love being able to put YouTube vids or whatever is on my phone right onto my t.v. ( Samsung Note 10 + )
Haven't done that yet, but I will. Having Android and Apple Auto are another great thing. We live in some pretty cool times, minus the recent happenings here lately.

That and the IPHONE works with my GPS so it's hands free.

GPS is also voice activated and controlled.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:42 pm
MacLaren wrote:

That's nice.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:11 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:42 pm
MacLaren wrote:

That's nice.

Still have my old Garmin 765 GPS, still works fine, updated it yesterday to the latest maps and software. It is getting pretty dated still though and bouncing around in the back of my truck for the past 10 years.

Got the new Garmin DriveSmart 55, that's the one that is voice activated etc.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Went ahead and got an IPHONE 11 since the IPHONE 6 will be out of updates anyway, it's time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:36 pm
Went ahead and got an IPHONE 11 since the IPHONE 6 will be out of updates anyway, it's time.
Congratulations!