Smart Phones

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:23 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm
prndltech wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:15 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:03 pm

An IPAD, especially the new ones are very powerful and could/can replace a standard computer for a lot of people. Even some gaming computers with the new IPAD AIR and PRO.

And with the IPAD AIR and PRO they have a keyboard that you can get so that really turns them into a laptop.

Yeah mine is 2-3 years old and it’s not the pro model... I ain’t very fancy!

With Apple you really don't need to buy a new anything until they stop supporting it, and that's a good thing.
True, I’ve had both for 2-3 years and still running fast and strong.

You will have them for awhile yet before they stop supporting what you have.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve still never owned a smart phone. My mobile is still a flip phone I bought back in 2006. And that was only my second cell phone after my first, which I bought in 2001. I rarely use it, and only carry it in case of emergencies.

My only “computer” is my iPad.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

prndltech wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:49 pm
I don’t have a computer, I have no need for one. I have an iPhone 8 And an iPad and will use them till they don’t work and then I’ll buy another. I bought my house on my iPhone, did everything on it up until I had to actually go in and sign papers.
We are polar opposites.

I bought my Samsung phone for work. I use to install PC's, and banks of servers, routers, and switches. The co I use to work for had me at a different site almost every day. Some days I have to drive to work, and others I took the train and elevated in Chicago to get where I was going. I needed to communicate with them on the job and use the map function to get where I needed to go. After my heart attack and open heart surgery, they quit calling me for work. I got rid of the carrier for the phone and just use it now and then now through a WiFi router.

I use my desktop computer all day every day. It's a Dell Alienware Area 51 with a 30 inch monitor. I watch 5hrs of TV a week at most. I like the large monitor for watching MotoGP, NHL, YouTube videos and reading the news.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have HTC wildfire for 7 years and I was ok with it. It was old, beat up, but to be honest, I did not use most of the fuctions at all, just calling, texting and listening for MP3.
After I met my current GF, I realized that I cant even install Viber or Whatsapp to my old phone, because of old OS. So I bought some ASUS and I am ok with it. I can call with it, browse Spyderco forum, listen to music and chat with other people. It was like 140 €, and to be honest, I will never spend more then 200 € on phone. Priorities I guess.
I just cant understand when my students have iPhones for 600-1000 €! (of course, they parents bought them). That is just nuts.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 pm
I’ve still never owned a smart phone. My mobile is still a flip phone I bought back in 2006. And that was only my second cell phone after my first, which I bought in 2001. I rarely use it, and only carry it in case of emergencies.

Jim

My Flip Phone I had for 10 years and it's getting ready to break, got cracks in it.... Like break in half....

I needed a new phone anyway so.....
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

My Flip Phone I had for 10 years and it's getting ready to break, got cracks in it.... Like break in half....

Yup. I know I’ll have to replace it sooner or later (more likely sooner). I’ve been thinking that for almost a decade now. But somehow mine keeps soldiering on.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Yup. I know I’ll have to replace it sooner or later (more likely sooner). I’ve been thinking that for almost a decade now. But somehow mine keeps soldiering on.

Jim

So I have the IPHONE 6 and it's great. (I don't live on my phone)

Will replace that one when I have to, when it stops getting updates.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I have a Iphone 6s. I was hardcore Android and PC for year’s. I swore I would never buy a Iphone or anything Apple. Well my android phone broke I didn’t have a lot of money. My wife at the time needed a new phone as well so she went to get us phones. She came back with two IPhone 6s. Didn’t take long before I was hooked. Next thing I know I have a Ipad. Next will be a Macbook Pro 13”. All i can say is their products feel quality and so far hold up like they are quality. I understand why people take about the Apple Ecosystem now.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

After six years of using a Samsung Galaxy S3, I have currently switched to the Galaxy M30s and I can't be happier. I also tried Apple iPhone 6 a few years ago, but iOS didn't warm me up.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am
I have a Iphone 6s. I was hardcore Android and PC for year’s. I swore I would never buy a Iphone or anything Apple. Well my android phone broke I didn’t have a lot of money. My wife at the time needed a new phone as well so she went to get us phones. She came back with two IPhone 6s. Didn’t take long before I was hooked. Next thing I know I have a Ipad. Next will be a Macbook Pro 13”. All i can say is their products feel quality and so far hold up like they are quality. I understand why people take about the Apple Ecosystem now.

Yes, their products are VERY well made and they do last.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Note 10+ and love it. I usually skip every other generation, been a note user since the 4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am

I think the funniest things about watching reviews on Apple stuff is how little even the reviewers know about technology and what things cost or should really cost.

I mean they really have no idea at all from what I have been seeing.

Everyone who had been around awhile knows Apple products generally cost a little more, it's always been that way so nothing has changed there. Apple is a hardware seller and always has been, they give the OS away and support it. So in general the hardware is very good as is the overall quality of the products.

Well the people doing the reviews aren't old enough to even realize that part, not even remotely close...

Hearing them talk about the difference between a 60 Hz display and 120 Hz displays on the IPADS is extremely funny. They really don't understand how much more expensive the 120 Hz panels are. And we are talking about good high quality panels here.

And the keyboards for the IPADS, .... OMG!!!!! Hear them crying about $150 for a Smart Keyboard for the IPAD and the Pencil for $99 like the whole world is ending.... There are less expensive options out there however.

Then there is the storage cost... Going from the entry level storage to the higher end options.... Not really bad at all IMO for what you are getting, but they cry like babies over it. It's NOT that much of a difference, not really. And it's integrated storage, not just some SSD that some like to compare the prices too. There is a MASSIVE difference in real cost between the two on the hardware end for the manufacture.

And it just goes on and on... It's like they think Apple should be giving their products away for free from the way they talk.

They are talking about technology here and Apple, but they just don't really understand the complexity of that and what they are talking about.

The good thing is there are some people who do actually know what they are talking about when getting into the tech and what does what and what people would actually need etc. They are much more realistic also as in get X from the start or they may run into real problems later or have to upgrade to a higher end product.

It says a lot if someone can get an IPAD and then can still use that said IPAD 6 years later and it still does well.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I recently upgraded to a galaxy s10 plus, from a galaxy s8. Before that it was an LG g3, a galaxy s3, the Sony Playstation phone (Xperia something... Loved it! But no support... So disappointing!), and an HTC something was my first android.

I only upgraded from my s8 because the screen was broke. (for about 2 years!) and the battery was going out. Almost 4 years with it, still have it and use it for some things. Love this s10 plus though.

I won't touch an apple product. If I have to put another program on my computer to load files on something then it doesn't get used. But if someone else likes it and has other Apple gear that's great! That's why they make different things!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:33 am
I recently upgraded
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Bloke wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:55 am
soc_monki wrote:
I recently upgraded

What can I say? I like to get my money's worth! :D
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The day I upgraded - May 22 was a good day :D
Got all this for free with my Samsung S10+
It was $200 of store merchandise.
I was pretty lucky overall, as those were the last Otter Case and Portable Battery they had in the store. And, that was the last day for the $200 worth of store merchandise.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:55 am
soc_monki wrote:
I recently upgraded
Bloke, I was seriously considering an iPhone so that we could FaceTime until they offered all that free stuff :D
But.....did you see in this thread, that there are other ways we can chat?? :D :cool:
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I had an iphone 6S for over 4 years and it worked just fine.. still does.. except it got to the point where the battery would only last about half a day before needing a charge and less if I actually needed to use it for something (maps, geocaching, music, etc), which was a pain. I probably could have just gotten a new battery, but I believe the 6s is next on the block to lose support from apple.. so about two weeks ago I upgraded to the new iphone SE 2020. Does all the same stuff my 6s did.. and a lot of cool new things (wireless charging!!.. sorcery!).. and I get about 2 days out of a charge if I don't use it a lot. It's essentially the "base model" iphone, but it has all the features that I need and it has the newest "chip," so I figure it should be "update-able" for the foreseeable future. I plan on running it into the ground as long as it remains a supported model and the battery hold ups.. And the best part is that it costs less than half the price of the other fancier iphone models.

I'd highly recommend the new iphone SE if you're like me and "good enough is all you need."

Also.. I've had my cellphone plan through Consumer Cellular for the past 4+ years. My plan costs $29 a month for 3 gigs of data, unlimited texts, and 250 min talk. I bought the new phone outright, so the plan will stay at $29/month. I get some laughs when I tell people I have Consumer Cellular, but the service is great as far as cell reception goes, easy to use, customizable based on your data needs.. and wayyy less expensive than most other plans (switched from verizon and will never go back..). People usually stop laughing when I tell them what my plan costs haha. I'd highly recommend Consumer Cellular as well if you're looking to save some money. Haha I can't wait until I'm old enough to get the AARP discount on my plan! Only 15 more years!

:)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 am
I had an iphone 6S for over 4 years and it worked just fine.. still does.. except it got to the point where the battery would only last about half a day before needing a charge and less if I actually needed to use it for something (maps, geocaching, music, etc), which was a pain. I probably could have just gotten a new battery, but I believe the 6s is next on the block to lose support from apple.. so about two weeks ago I upgraded to the new iphone SE 2020. Does all the same stuff my 6s did.. and a lot of cool new things (wireless charging!!.. sorcery!).. and I get about 2 days out of a charge if I don't use it a lot. It's essentially the "base model" iphone, but it has all the features that I need and it has the newest "chip," so I figure it should be "update-able" for the foreseeable future. I plan on running it into the ground as long as it remains a supported model and the battery hold ups.. And the best part is that it costs less than half the price of the other fancier iphone models.

I'd highly recommend the new iphone SE if you're like me and "good enough is all you need."

Also.. I've had my cellphone plan through Consumer Cellular for the past 4+ years. My plan costs $29 a month for 3 gigs of data, unlimited texts, and 250 min talk. I bought the new phone outright, so the plan will stay at $29/month. I get some laughs when I tell people I have Consumer Cellular, but the service is great as far as cell reception goes, easy to use, customizable based on your data needs.. and wayyy less expensive than most other plans (switched from verizon and will never go back..). People usually stop laughing when I tell them what my plan costs haha. I'd highly recommend Consumer Cellular as well if you're looking to save some money. Haha I can't wait until I'm old enough to get the AARP discount on my plan! Only 15 more years!

I have Consumer Cellular and AARP. :D

My plan is $28 a month with the 3 gigs of data.

Unlimited talk and texts.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 am
DSH007 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 am

I have Consumer Cellular and AARP. :D

My plan is $28 a month with the 3 gigs of data.

Unlimited talk and texts.
Hahah, great minds right...

Then you probably also know how easy CC makes it to update your device.. Can't go wrong with that new SE..

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..