Smart Phones

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:13 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:53 pm
I have a Samsung S7 Edge. It's fine for what I do.

My mom has an iPhone and all of the security features drive her nuts. She's probably going to trade it in for a new Samsung/Android phone. Here's the thing. If you work in business and need all the security, I think it's fine, it's just overkill for her.

I suppose it depends if they really need them or not.

These days one just really never knows and with all what people keep on their smart phones they may not be such a bad thing? :confused:
No, I think differentiation is excellent. I'm not wanted by the FBI or Interpol, and I've never worked anywhere where anything I knew or had access too was of national security. I think more security is always good too. But my mom is 80 and the tech drives her nutz.

I don't either these days and not for over 3 decades.

You could just adjust the settings for her to make it less of a hassle. :cool:

My Aunt is 73 and she loves her IPHONE and IPAD. :D
Hahahahahaha.... that means I'd have to handle an iPhone. :p

I'm half joking. She thinks she needs security and there's just the two of us here! Hahahahahahaha, she thinks she needs security, so have at it.

I've told my brother and mother my passwords to all of my devices, systems, and even Kindle. I have nothing to hide from my family. Now, if I find her on my PC, the only thing I'm going to say is, give me the password and login to your system so that I can use a computer.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

As a systems administrator I understand why businesses have security. It's part of their going concern. But, for me, I don't feel that I need it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Who I need security from are the companies that track me online. I have a secure computer and phone, and I use all of the security features available. But, I love my mom and brother. I'd give my life to protect them.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:08 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:13 pm

I suppose it depends if they really need them or not.

These days one just really never knows and with all what people keep on their smart phones they may not be such a bad thing? :confused:
No, I think differentiation is excellent. I'm not wanted by the FBI or Interpol, and I've never worked anywhere where anything I knew or had access too was of national security. I think more security is always good too. But my mom is 80 and the tech drives her nutz.

I don't either these days and not for over 3 decades.

You could just adjust the settings for her to make it less of a hassle. :cool:

My Aunt is 73 and she loves her IPHONE and IPAD. :D
Hahahahahaha.... that means I'd have to handle an iPhone. :p

I'm half joking. She thinks she needs security and there's just the two of us here! Hahahahahahaha, she thinks she needs security, so have at it.

I've told my brother and mother my passwords to all of my devices, systems, and even Kindle. I have nothing to hide from my family. Now, if I find her on my PC, the only thing I'm going to say is, give me the password and login to your system so that I can use a computer.

The IPHONES actually aren't bad to deal with, not like they used to be when they 1st came out.

But then Apple normally is pretty user friendly and always has been. It's been one of their strong points from the beginning. Microsoft has been playing catch up when it comes to that from day 1 and still is even today.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I have had a number of phones. I enjoy updating every year and a half or 2. I have had experience with smartphones from apple, motorola, ZTE, samsung, LG, Google and essential. Motorola is probably king of the budget phones, or at least they were up until samsung released their "A" series phones. Motorola has fallen behind in the last year or two. Samsung is essentially the king of android phones, but you pay a price in the actual dollar amount paid and the "bloatware" that comes pre installed on the phones. Google pixel hands down takes the best smartphone photos. iPhone is tops for video. Ill do a quick breakdown of which phones I think to buy for different purposes. I will leave out information on phone brands that aren't all that relevant anymore.

- Google pixel series: Buy this phone if you want a stellar photo camera and essentially stock android with no unnecessary apps. Dual speakers are also great for watching videos or playing games without headphones. Fast charging on all devices.

- Samsung Galaxy series: Best brightness, resolution and overall display quality of any mobile device. Period. Very solid camera performance on both pictures and video, but falls a touch short on both compared to pixels photos and iPhone video. Great build quality and beautiful design. Easy to find cases and screen protectors for the devices. Wireless and fast charging on most devices

- LG V series phones: V30 was the first smartphone to have an all glass camera lens setup and 10-bit color reproduction. This creates incredibly detailed and vibrant photos. All phones in this series have stellar performance for gaming, video watching and web browsing. Most V series phones still have headphone jacks with a HiFi DAC built in. Best wired audio quality, hands down. Newest phones have revamped external speakers are are probably the best phone speakers available right now. Displays are second only to Samsung and battery life is excellent. I currently have an LG V35 and I love it. Wireless and fast charging on most devices.

- Apple: If ease of use is big on your list, iPhone is most certainly at the top. Simple user interface and *relatively* intuitive gestures make the iPhone fairly easy to adapt to. iPhone's also have arguably the best video recording capability in the smartphone arena. Displays are solid, but not stellar. Build quality is excellent. Battery life in my experience has been fair, but nothing to write home about and unfortunately, you have to purchase a separate Apple charging brick to fast charge. External speakers are very good and probably second to the new LG speakers. iPhone 8, X and 11 all support wireless charging to my knowledge. Lastly, the apple ecosystem is a huge factor for some people when choosing a phone. If you already have all apple products, might as well have an iPhone too since it all links up so seamlessly.

- Huawei: I have limited experience with Huawei phones, but they receive very positive reviews. Stellar camera performance and fast processors for most tasks. They have some very funky but beautiful designs and colors available. Great battery life overall.

- Oneplus: Brand that came on the scene as a more budget friendly option with high end specs. Their phones have evolved into downright speed machines. The newest models can be had with 12 gigabytes of RAM and 256gb of incredibly fast internal storage. New pro models also have 90mHz refresh rate displays which makes for the smoothest functioning screens available. Oneplus also has warp charge which is the fastest smartphone charging system currently.

That pretty much covers most of the prevalent brands in the US. There are a few others that have a small stake in the market, like Xiaomi, but they're rather odd brands and devices. I enjoy tech a lot, so PM me if any of you have any questions you'd like to ask!
Last edited by Knivesinedc on Sun May 24, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Knivesinedc wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:48 pm
I have had a number of phones. I enjoy updating every year and a half or 2. I have had experience with smartphones from apple, motorola, ZTE, samsung, LG, Google and essential. Motorola is probably king of the budget phones, or at least they were up until samsung released their "A" series phones. Motorola has fallen behind in the last year or two. Samsung is essentially the king of android phones, but you pay a price in the actual dollar amount paid and the "bloatware" that comes pre installed on the phones. Google pixel hands down takes the best smartphone photos. iPhone is tops for video. Ill do a quick breakdown of which phones I think to buy for different purposes. I will leave out information on phone brands that aren't all that relevant anymore.

- Google pixel series: Buy this phone if you want a stellar photo camera and essentially stock android with no unnecessary apps. Dual speakers are also great for watching videos or playing games without headphones. Fast charging on all devices.

- Samsung Galaxy series: Best brightness, resolution and overall display quality of any mobile device. Period. Very solid camera performance on both pictures and video, but falls a touch short on both compared to pixels photos and iPhone video. Great build quality and beautiful design. Easy to find cases and screen protectors for the devices. Wireless and fast charging on most devices

- LG V series phones: V30 was the first smartphone to have an all glass camera lens setup and 10-bit color reproduction. This creates incredibly detailed and vibrant photos. All phones in this series have stellar performance for gaming, video watching and web browsing. Most V series phones still have headphone jacks with a HiFi DAC built in. Best wired audio quality, hands down. Newest phones have revamped external speakers are are probably the best phone speakers available right now. Displays are second only to Samsung and battery life is excellent. I currently have an LG V35 and I love it. Wireless and fast charging on most devices.

- Apple: If ease of use is big on your list, iPhone is most certainly at the top. Simple user interface and *relatively* intuitive gestures make the iPhone fairly easy to adapt to. iPhone's also have arguably the best video recording capability in the smartphone arena. Displays are solid, but not stellar. Build quality is excellent. Battery life in my experience has been fair, but nothing to write home about and unfortunately, you have to purchase a separate Apple charging brick to fast charge. External speakers are very good and probably second to the new LG speakers. iPhone 8, X and 11 all support wireless charging to my knowledge.

- Huawei: I have limited experience with Huawei phones, but they receive very positive reviews. Stellar camera performance and fast processors for most tasks. They have some very funky but beautiful designs and colors available. Great battery life overall.

- Oneplus: Brand that came on the scene as a more budget friendly option with high end specs. Their phones have evolved into downright speed machines. The newest models can be had with 12 gigabytes of RAM and 256gb of incredibly fast internal storage. New pro models also have 90mHz refresh rate displays which makes for the smoothest functioning screens available. Oneplus also has warp charge which is the fastest smartphone charging system currently.

That pretty much covers most of the prevalent brands in the US. There are a few others that have a small stake in the market, like Xiaomi, but they're rather odd brands and devices. I enjoy tech a lot, so PM me if any of you have any questions you'd like to ask!

Good info. :)

I do tend to lean towards the IPHONES for a number reasons over some of the others. Also more overall experience with them over the years so I am more used to them. That's my opinion however so I am sure others will have different ones. :)

Cross platform support is a big one, especially with other Apple Products. :cool:

All opinions are welcome and more than encouraged so maybe we all can learn something. :cool:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice post Knivesinedc
I was gonna say, I think most people really like what they started out with and are used to. Either Apple or Android in that way
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I've had IPhone for about a decade and a half. I upgrade every couple of years and can't fault them.

I really like FaceTime (audio) which allows me to talk to a few members here and other friends in different countries clear as a bell for the price of a little data. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bloke wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:21 pm
I've had IPhone for about a decade and a half. I upgrade every couple of years and can't fault them.

I really like FaceTime (audio) which allows me to talk to a few members here and other friends in different countries clear as a bell for the price of a little data. :cool:
Talk to all of them at once using Google Hangout or Google Meet (meet.google.com)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Xplorer wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:55 am
I have a Galaxy 10 and I've been very happy with it. My wife and both kids have I-phones and I prefer my Galaxy phone. I have all of the functionality that they have plus a better looking screen, and a better camera. If you consider going away from Apple I would definitely suggest a Galaxy phone.
I've had a few Samsung Galaxy phones and I've been very happy with them. I went to a S10 last fall and it's been great. My work phone is a iPhone 7 and it's ok but I'd never have one for my personal phone. My lady has a iPhone X and she like it. To me it feels like a brick compared to my S10
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:59 pm
Nice post Knivesinedc
I was gonna say, I think most people really like what they started out with and are used to. Either Apple or Android in that way

I remember the 1st IPHONE, what a PITA. LOL

Dealing with itunes and all of that all the time, was glad it wasn't mine.. :eek:

It was a new thing, smart phones so I suppose it was expected that it wouldn't be problem free.

Then I made the mistake of getting a Samsung Eternity for my 1st personal smart phone in 2009, what a total complete POS. :rolleyes:

I could write pages of why it sucked, but I won't other than it wasn't much better than a paper weight except for watching videos. :rolleyes:

So I went back to flip phones for along time after that, dealt with other smart phones over that time off and on.

Things did progress better as time went on.

So I went with an IPHONE and have the IPHONE 6 and it's fine. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:59 am
MacLaren wrote:
Nice post Knivesinedc

Dealing with itunes and all of that all the time, was glad it wasn't mine.. :eek:

It was a new thing, smart phones so I suppose it was expected that it wouldn't be problem free.

Then I made the mistake of getting a Samsung Eternity for my 1st personal smart phone in 2009, what a total complete POS. :rolleyes:

So I went back to flip phones for along time after that, dealt with other smart phones over that time off and on.

Ya know, back in the day I really preferred Motorola.
But, like you say things have changed a lot.
Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a phone that didn't do well.
Except, for that one LG that I had.
At any rate, I think its kinda hard to go wrong now a days.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 am
Ankerson wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Nice post Knivesinedc

I stayed away from smart phones due to issues and battery life etc.

I did keep up with the tech though because I knew I would eventually get one again.

Just waited until things really matured well to jump back in.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:09 am
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Nice post Knivesinedc

I did keep up with the tech though because I knew I would eventually get one again.

Smart move Jim
I think now is a pretty good time :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:24 am
Ankerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:09 am
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Smart move Jim
I think now is a pretty good time :)

Was that and I got the IPHONE 6 for nothing, and it's like brand new. My Aunt upgraded to a new IPHONE SE (2020) and sent me her old one. :D

And my flip phone wasn't going to last much longer anyway, cracks in it etc.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I don’t have a computer, I have no need for one. I have an iPhone 8 And an iPad and will use them till they don’t work and then I’ll buy another. I bought my house on my iPhone, did everything on it up until I had to actually go in and sign papers.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:49 pm
I don’t have a computer, I have no need for one. I have an iPhone 8 And an iPad and will use them till they don’t work and then I’ll buy another. I bought my house on my iPhone, did everything on it up until I had to actually go in and sign papers.

An IPAD, especially the new ones are very powerful and could/can replace a standard computer for a lot of people. Even some gaming computers with the new IPAD AIR and PRO.

And with the IPAD AIR and PRO they have a keyboard that you can get so that really turns them into a laptop.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:03 pm
prndltech wrote:

An IPAD, especially the new ones are very powerful and could/can replace a standard computer for a lot of people. Even some gaming computers with the new IPAD AIR and PRO.

And with the IPAD AIR and PRO they have a keyboard that you can get so that really turns them into a laptop.

Yeah mine is 2-3 years old and it’s not the pro model... I ain’t very fancy!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:15 pm
Ankerson wrote:
prndltech wrote:

With Apple you really don't need to buy a new anything until they stop supporting it, and that's a good thing.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm
prndltech wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:15 pm
Ankerson wrote:
prndltech wrote:

With Apple you really don't need to buy a new anything until they stop supporting it, and that's a good thing.
True, I’ve had both for 2-3 years and still running fast and strong.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006