Make sure you disinfect

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Make sure you disinfect

Post by Doc Dan »

Make sure you disinfect everything before bringing it into your home. We even disinfect shopping bags outside and disinfect everything inside of them, as well.

If not, you risk bringing the virus inside to live with you and infect someone.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Re: Make sure you disinfect

Post by Doc Dan »

https://youtu.be/kGQEuuv9R6E

Here is a good video showing just how easy the virus spreads.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

You aren't kidding!

We do wipe some things down with a bleach solution before they go in to a refrigerator or on a shelf. If it goes in to the freezer, I tell everyone to wash their hands after handling anything in case we missed it.

The dog here eats chicken breasts and it is prepared though boiling for 30 minutes. I always wash my hands after handing meat because the lines that they run are loaded with people carrying the coronavirus.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I may be in the minority here but, in my opinion, the real pandemic is a pandemic of fear. I'm not saying you should not practice good hygiene and take sensible precautions like washing hands and cleaning surfaces after handling raw meat. But you should have been taking those same precautions your entire life. Unless you live with someone who already has other life threatening conditions, are in close proximity to such a person for prolonged periods of time, or are in close proximity to someone with an active case of COVID-19, taking disinfection to extraordinary levels is silly. Same goes for wearing masks. That might make sense in the supermarket, in church, or while visiting a hospice, but I see folks in my development wearing one while walking alone with their dog or just for exercise. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As far as I can tell, masks don’t prevent spread of the virus, but they do make people feel a little better. I’m not sure that’s such a bad thing.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is very rural around here and we have had very very few confirmed cases. I have a bottle of hand sanitizer in my truck and I wear a mask at the supermarket. Other than that I am just not too worried about this. I honestly think that I already had it a couple of months ago. Life goes on.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Even here in NY they've said they don't find it necessary to disinfect groceries, but obviously to do so if you feel the need. My county has started the first phase of reopening this weekend...we're all ready for it. Just can't get complacent and still play it smart and safe.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

In an attempt to keep this thread from getting locked, here's some levity:

(OK, it's fairly condescending, but not as much as the average Twitter or Reddit post I see most days.)

I'd add to the above that, just as making people wear pants won't stop you from smelling them, masks aren't a perfect solution for some diseases. (E.g. measles, which lingers in infectious doses in the air for hour.) But the vector for spreading this virus that we're 100% certain about is droplets, and just about any mask will catch those.

My wife says wearing a mask is "dehumanizing." I've worn masks for many of my jobs, including farm work, autobody painting, grinding knife handle material, and the demolition phase of home renovations. I agree that they're annoying, but I think "dehumanizing" is an overstatement.

I don't disinfect groceries anymore, but I do carry a bottle of soapy water and wash my hands in the parking lot before getting back into my vehicle. If I'm using my phone for a grocery list, I wash that too.
—Daniel Jackson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Love the one illustration. The video should have been graphic enough.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 am
In an attempt to keep this thread from getting locked, here's some levity:

I love it ... :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:15 am
I may be in the minority here but, in my opinion, the real pandemic is a pandemic of fear.
Yup. It's a bunch of hooey. The number of deaths attributed to coronavirus is a LIE. The CDC is counting deaths where the deceased MIGHT have had coronavirus or where the deceased DID have coronavirus but died of something unrelated, such as a heart attach or stroke. That crosses the line and is no longer just shoddy data acquisition. It's phoney data collected to support a fallacious premise.

You will NOT see me dressing up in silly costumes to appease the media and politicians hoping to gain power at the expense of others. You WILL see me going out, keeping the public safe, and our country operational. For those who want to stay locked in their dimly lit hovels, that's their decision. I'm comfortable with that, as long as they don't try to impede the rest of us from living our lives in freedom.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Make sure you disinfect everything before bringing it into your home. We even disinfect shopping bags outside and disinfect everything inside of them, as well.

If not, you risk bringing the virus inside to live with you and infect someone.

YUP, exactly.. :)

I wipe everything down.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

This is veering into a political discussion quickly, but in a good-faith attempt to stay within the bounds of what's allowed here:

The world is filled with people who respond to the news by panicking when they perceive a threat, and people who respond to those people (not to the threat directly) with apathy or sarcasm.

Today, it's the threat of a new virus making one group terrified. But not long ago, there was a national uproar in the U.S. over the threat of illegal immigration. For the most part, the people whose concerns about border security were sarcastically dismissed by the rest of the country are now leading the sarcastic dismissal of the official pandemic response.

I don't read major headlines anymore, from reporters on either side of the political spectrum. Stories are blown out of proportion, and I can hardly tell what the real news is without reading between the lines in three different sources.

The weasles in office here in California are working hard to patronize the concern trolls at major news outlets. But not long ago we had a similar degree of "I'm part of the solution, and my critics are the problem" on different issues from governors on the opposite end of the spectrum.

It's important that we all understand the degree of risk presented by our own geography, demography, and professional activities. If I were a shop owner in New York City, I would want to open up my shop again, taking careful precautions. In Oklahoma, the precautions would be less strict.

I think voluntary, anonymous contact tracing is an excellent idea wherever we live, since people move around so much and there is so much opportunity for an outbreak when people are caught unawares.

I know people who live in central Washington where a church choir rehearsal resulted in 40+ infections and two deaths. My church has a younger, less-vulnerable population than that one, but some of us are in contact with elderly relative's on a regular basis. We shouldn't be afraid of death, but if I can find out quickly and efficiently that someone I was standing beside is a likely virus carrier, I would avoid seeing my wife's grandfather for two weeks as a precaution.

Sensible precautions are available to us. Sadly, the whole debate about the efficacy of the lockdown (and the never-ending evasive responses to questions about when it should be lifted) has paralyzed the country more than the virus could have.

Be sane, be civil, and stand up for the truth in some way that doesn't mock or dehumanize the person who disagrees with you. That's the only way out of this mess where we're better off than we were in January.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Keeping a level head here and looking at the FACTS as in proven scientific FACTS here.

I don't care about politics, at all or anything else that would be deemed so as it pertains to this.

This is a National Heath problem, World Wide Heath problem actually.

We are all in the same boat in reality so we all have to follow the guidelines so we all can get back to normal sooner than later.

Fighting against the science is just going to drag things out longer and force more lockdowns as more outbreaks start to happen.

Counter productive in the end.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:05 am
This is veering into a political discussion quickly, but in a good-faith attempt to stay within the bounds of what's allowed here:

The world is filled with people who respond to the news by panicking when they perceive a threat, and people who respond to those people (not to the threat directly) with apathy or sarcasm.

Today, it's the threat of a new virus making one group terrified. But not long ago, there was a national uproar in the U.S. over the threat of illegal immigration. For the most part, the people whose concerns about border security were sarcastically dismissed by the rest of the country are now leading the sarcastic dismissal of the official pandemic response.

I don't read major headlines anymore, from reporters on either side of the political spectrum. Stories are blown out of proportion, and I can hardly tell what the real news is without reading between the lines in three different sources.

The weasles in office here in California are working hard to patronize the concern trolls at major news outlets. But not long ago we had a similar degree of "I'm part of the solution, and my critics are the problem" on different issues from governors on the opposite end of the spectrum.

It's important that we all understand the degree of risk presented by our own geography, demography, and professional activities. If I were a shop owner in New York City, I would want to open up my shop again, taking careful precautions. In Oklahoma, the precautions would be less strict.

I think voluntary, anonymous contact tracing is an excellent idea wherever we live, since people move around so much and there is so much opportunity for an outbreak when people are caught unawares.

I know people who live in central Washington where a church choir rehearsal resulted in 40+ infections and two deaths. My church has a younger, less-vulnerable population than that one, but some of us are in contact with elderly relative's on a regular basis. We shouldn't be afraid of death, but if I can find out quickly and efficiently that someone I was standing beside is a likely virus carrier, I would avoid seeing my wife's grandfather for two weeks as a precaution.

Sensible precautions are available to us. Sadly, the whole debate about the efficacy of the lockdown (and the never-ending evasive responses to questions about when it should be lifted) has paralyzed the country more than the virus could have.

Be sane, be civil, and stand up for the truth in some way that doesn't mock or dehumanize the person who disagrees with you. That's the only way out of this mess where we're better off than we were in January.
Well said.

Jim
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Deacon wrote:
I may be in the minority here but, in my opinion, the real pandemic is a pandemic of fear. I'm not saying you should not practice good hygiene and take sensible precautions like washing hands and cleaning surfaces after handling raw meat. But you should have been taking those same precautions your entire life. Unless you live with someone who already has other life threatening conditions, are in close proximity to such a person for prolonged periods of time, or are in close proximity to someone with an active case of COVID-19, taking disinfection to extraordinary levels is silly. Same goes for wearing masks. That might make sense in the supermarket, in church, or while visiting a hospice, but I see folks in my development wearing one while walking alone with their dog or just for exercise. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Once again sir, if you ever decide to publish a newsletter or do a podcast commenting on current events I would be a subscriber.

The virus is "much ado about nothing"...a 98.54% survivability rate last time I checked. Questionable accounting in the actual deaths directly attributed to the illness, the media playing Chicken Little 24/7/365 inducing panic in the public and amplifying every hicccup into an earthquake. This is not a disaster...public health wise or any other way. Certain states gaming the reporting system to increase their federal funding and imposing dictatorial edicts is much more worrisome.

If we don't get back to work and crank up the economic engine soon then you will see a real national disaster.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:10 pm
The Deacon wrote:

Once again sir, if you ever decide to publish a newsletter or do a podcast commenting on current events I would be a subscriber.

The virus is "much ado about nothing"...a 98.54% survivability rate last time I checked. Questionable accounting in the actual deaths directly attributed to the illness, the media playing Chicken Little 24/7/365 inducing panic in the public and amplifying every hicccup into an earthquake. This is not a disaster...public health wise or any other way. Certain states gaming the reporting system to increase their federal funding and imposing dictatorial edicts is much more worrisome.

If we don't get back to work and crank up the economic engine soon then you will see a real national disaster.

98.5% is not exactly true. ;)

You have to go by closed cases vs the deaths currently and that is a 21% death rate to actually be accurate.

That number will likely go down over time however, but nobody will know what that number will actually be until it's over.

That 1.5% number they love to throw around counts a lot of cases that are still active and don't have an outcome yet.

So even under the best case it's not even remotely accurate.

The final numbers will be based on closed cases vs deaths once it's over.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is nowhere near 21%. You are fear mongering again.

It is 1.5% now and when we finally test everybody for antibodies and realize how many people in the country have already had it we will realize that the rate is even lower. A study in NY state showed that of a pool of tested individuals that 12.3% of them had the antibodies to prove that they had recovered from it already. That was for the state of NY. In NYC 19.9% of the population had antibodies already. By the time widespread testing is done it will be even higher than that. When we find out how many people have actually had it for sure we will most likely see that the death rate was very low.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:07 pm
It is nowhere near 21%. You are fear mongering again.

It is 1.5% now and when we finally test everybody for antibodies and realize how many people in the country have already had it we will realize that the rate is even lower. A study in NY state showed that of a pool of tested individuals that 12.3% of them had the antibodies to prove that they had recovered from it already. That was for the state of NY. In NYC 19.9% of the population had antibodies already. By the time widespread testing is done it will be even higher than that. When we find out how many people have actually had it for sure we will most likely see that the death rate was very low.

Going by current data, as in FACTS as in real numbers it is 21% currently.

I don't care what you want to believe.

The data says what it is.

That's real data back up by science.

Once it's over I am sure that number will be smaller, but we won't know what that number will be until it's over.

I don't enjoy being called a fear monger either for the record, that's freaking BS and insulting.. :mad:

Especially when I have real data to back it up, real facts.

Insulting another member is against forum rules.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun May 17, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:42 pm
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:10 pm
The Deacon wrote:

98.5% is not exactly true. ;)

You have to go by closed cases vs the deaths currently and that is a 21% death rate to actually be accurate.

That number will likely go down over time however, but nobody will know what that number will actually be until it's over.

That 1.5% number they love to throw around counts a lot of cases that are still active and don't have an outcome yet.

So even under the best case it's not even remotely accurate.

The final numbers will be based on closed cases vs deaths once it's over.

They will never get a correct, actual death rate because of over reporting (report it as COVID and you get more federal money) and the cremation requirements in place now that mandate disposal of the corpse within 24 to 48 hours in most cases. The CDC already admitted to counting "almost" everything as a COVID death, Colorado just admitted to skewing the numbers, and several other states have been caught doing it. Since money is involved I trust no numbers published ....especially in states with cash flow problems. Is that cynical...yes it is, but unfortunately due to the already discovered falsehoods it is probably correct.

Is it dangerous...yes, but mostly for the elderly or those with pre-existing serious health issues. Of which I am one...3 strikes against me but my fear level is considerably less than most here.