edc backpacks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ladybug93

edc backpacks

Post by ladybug93 »

i have tried multiple backpacks from camelbak to maxpedition to hiking day packs. i’ve yet to find the perfect bag for my edc. what’s everyone’s favorite and why?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BG-ThatsMe

Re: edc backpacks

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

Tom Bihn Luminary 15

Very nice shape, holds a large amount of stuff for a 15L pack and the straps are the most comfortable that I have used.

All of the organization pockets/access are discreet and the bag disappears on your back. It loads easily, has an outside access laptop compartment (that pulls double duty if you don’t carry one), is made in Seattle with quality materials and is guaranteed for life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a mid sized backpack put out by Victorinox. Not sure who made it but it's well made and I really like it when I go hiking in any wilderness area. It seems like Victorinox has a really fine line up of great items.

I love all the Maxpedition gear but it does have a lofty, high price attached to it. Not sure what kind of quality that North Face has in this present time. But at one time they were known for quality. But as many North Face items that I see anymore has me suspect.

OFF GRID magazine about 3 issues ago had a great article on many of the newer backpacks. That's one of the very few survival type magazines I even read anymore. OFF GRID and the BACKWOODSMAN are the only two I bother with at this time.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I have a 5.11 Rush 12. I have had it for several years, to carry my stuff at work and I have to say that I am very happy with it. The quality of the materials is noticeable, especially the zippers...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I use a Mountainsmith Tour, which is a shoulder bag, that makes for simple on-and-off, as when shopping (...remember shopping?!).

It has a built-in padded belt should I need to be arms-free and optional strapettes for better distribution of weight.

For longer everyday carries, I have a Timbuk2 Q.

I’m thinking about a 5.11 Moab 10 Sling Pack for my wife’s go-bag. If necessary, I can mount it on my Rush 72 go-bag.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have a basic Jansport backpack. It covers my daily needs. I'm currently in the market for a hiking backpack.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I have several for different uses....I prefer Victorinox, Swiss Gear and Maxpedition for carry use. I build first aid gear bags out of Jansport bags and have them in the vehicles, barns and stashed around here and there.

I've tried several others but the quality control has been spotty.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Check out Vertex. I have the Commuter Sling and am really impressed with it. I have it set up to accommodate my Glock 36, extra clip, and a few Spyderco Knives plus other everyday carry items. The weaponry is optional, just my personal choice. The Bags are very well made and I enjoy the sling as opposed to the traditional backpack (of which I have a few Bugout Gear Products Backpacks).
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

A $15 Eddie Bauer 20L Stowaway was a revelation for me. It's super light and great for a minimalist day hike/trip. I have a more bags than I can count, but I use one of the EBs every time I can get away with it. A surprisingly great number of features, including a loop on the shoulder strap for a hydration tube, internal pocket for a laptop/hydration reservoir, gear tie downs, mesh side pockets that haven't stretched out, packs down into it's own pocket...

At $15, it's not much of a gamble to try. I've been abusing mine for a few years and it still looks pretty much like new. I've given them to more than a few people as gifts and they now have pretty much the same feeling about it.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/82300168?s ... color=Camo
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Tom Bihn Synapse 19. Made in the U.S.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

I bought a Tasmanian Tiger Essential pack L a few months ago. Very sturdy, well built, and surprisingly roomy for a sub-20L pack.
Since it's 'military'-themed, it has Molle all over and helps a lot. I carry it to work every day, and have rarely been found wanting for space. The new ones seem pretty neat too, I however am not a fan of laser-cut Molle.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I quit toting backpacks when I was overseas in the Army. If the Four Seasons has these items on their room service menue I'll look into it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I pretty much carry a backpack everywhere. That Eddie Bauer one looks like a nice travel daypack. I may have to grab one and check it out.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ThomC wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:39 am
I carry it to work every day, and have rarely been found wanting for space.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Bloke wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:21 pm
ThomC wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:39 am
I carry it to work every day, and have rarely been found wanting for space.
How else could I carry my collection of essential EDC items ?
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:18 am
A $15 Eddie Bauer 20L Stowaway was a revelation for me. It's super light and great for a minimalist day hike/trip. I have a more bags than I can count, but I use one of the EBs every time I can get away with it. A surprisingly great number of features, including a loop on the shoulder strap for a hydration tube, internal pocket for a laptop/hydration reservoir, gear tie downs, mesh side pockets that haven't stretched out, packs down into it's own pocket...

At $15, it's not much of a gamble to try. I've been abusing mine for a few years and it still looks pretty much like new. I've given them to more than a few people as gifts and they now have pretty much the same feeling about it.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/82300168?s ... color=Camo
Just ordered two. What a deal for such a smart design.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Woot.com has Swiss Gear backpacks/daypacks listed under the Computer header on their site if anyone is interested.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

This is an interesting thread. I've always used Jansport booksacks but I'm looking around for something different. Also I can confirm that Eddie Bauer makes great inexpensive bags (I've used the duffel bags).
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

5.11 Rush Moab 10 for almost 5 years now. I can't really give much opinion on other bags because this is my first and only unless you count my old Jansport backpack from high school that still gets used to haul ammo and gun stuff to the range. I prefer a sling bag because it's easier on my shoulders. I really don't carry them as much as they lay in the passenger seat on my vehicle, but for 5 years now I haven't left home without it. It did start to come unstitched in one spot on the sling, but I figure after the use I've put it through it was acceptable and easy enough to sew up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 pm
5.11 Rush Moab 10 for almost 5 years now. I can't really give much opinion on other bags because this is my first and only unless you count my old Jansport backpack from high school that still gets used to haul ammo and gun stuff to the range. I prefer a sling bag because it's easier on my shoulders. I really don't carry them as much as they lay in the passenger seat on my vehicle, but for 5 years now I haven't left home without it. It did start to come unstitched in one spot on the sling, but I figure after the use I've put it through it was acceptable and easy enough to sew up.
i’ve never really liked sling bags because it hurts my shoulder more to carry over only one instead of distributing the weight (i also play guitar and my left shoulder gets knotted up sometimes). but, thinking about it, my backpacks are always too small because i always want to stuff more into them. maybe if i had a smaller pack that would be more uncomfortable when overpacked, maybe i’d stick to actual edc items. i can always have a larger bag with everything else that i leave in the car. now you have me looking at a sling bag.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C