What has become of Bladeforums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: What has become of Bladeforums?

Post by Ankerson »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:52 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm
Here, at least it is engaging. Most of the content at BF is bland or nonsense. There are some knowledgeable people there I interact with, but a lot changed with the overhaul.

As I said, I ignore trouble makers. I quit a couple of sub forums because the place was too antagonistic. I still post a little, but not like before. Mostly, I just take a glance and go. Engaging in a real discussion is not going to happen as a general rule and I posit that it is because of the idiots.

I don't do a lot there myself lately.

Waiting for things to get back to normal on the forum again.

I might look at a few sub forums like the Randall Forum so that's about it really.

I spend most of my time here. :spyder:

Was spending some time on a computer forum until a MOD overstepped and threatened me on the public forum. Stating facts back up by evidence in testing that went against what they wanted to believe as a fanboy... I did put him in his place and slammed him with tons of evidence and proven facts by professional testers... That didn't go over all too well though as facts don't matter to fanboys...

I called him out on it and was banned, then they reversed it... But the other MODS didn't like that so it wasn't long before I was banned forever. They all stick together you know...

I couldn't have any opinion on anything unless it followed theirs..... :rolleyes:

Was on that forum for over 12 years with no issues until that MOD overstepped.... New MOD with a big head.... Wasn't even on the forum that long either... A year or two maybe... ;)

If you think BF is over MODED too much, that's nothing compared to the computer forum...
LOL...I mod on a couple of firearm forums and contribute on several more, you want to see fanbois and purse-swinging fights you should visit some of them. But between the fanbois, self-proclaimed "experts on everything", anti-gun interlopers and just the occasional member meltdown it can get pretty bizarre at times.

And I know what you mean about computer forums, before I gave up on them I saw folks banned for liking the wrong components...seriously.

BF isn't "over-modded" but they do allow some folks over there to run amok with apparently no consequences.

Oh I know, that's what basically happened to me on the computer forum.. LOL

I used to be in the computer industry..... :rolleyes:

Always used Intel platforms for my own systems and those I built for decades.

Mostly gaming computers...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

“Purse swinging fights” that made me chuckle!

I’ll never understand why people get so worked up over difference of opinion! Especially in areas of interest where individual ergonomics make such a huge difference in perception and experience.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:57 am
“Purse swinging fights” that made me chuckle!

I’ll never understand why people get so worked up over difference of opinion! Especially in areas of interest where individual ergonomics make such a huge difference in perception and experience.

Human nature... ;)
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:37 pm

AMD has seriously caught and passed Intel. They rested on their laurels and thought they couldn't be beat, but they got the laurels handed right back to them. I think they're finally really working to pull ahead again, but you can't deny the price to performance ratio of amd chips.

However my old (nearly 10 year old!) i5 2500 is still kicking hard! I need to build a new system but I don't need to. Got my wife's computer (amd based) working right finally, no fault of the cpu (6 core vischera), but the network driver had a memory leak.

Just ordered a laptop (gaming) since I'm working on the road. Also amd, and I can't wait to put it through its paces!

But really, you can use whatever components you want! I like to buy the best for a price point, I don't shy away from refurbished or slightly used. And I don't care about bleeding edge. Just want fun!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:02 am
Ankerson wrote:

AMD has seriously caught and passed Intel. They rested on their laurels and thought they couldn't be beat, but they got the laurels handed right back to them. I think they're finally really working to pull ahead again, but you can't deny the price to performance ratio of amd chips.

However my old (nearly 10 year old!) i5 2500 is still kicking hard! I need to build a new system but I don't need to. Got my wife's computer (amd based) working right finally, no fault of the cpu (6 core vischera), but the network driver had a memory leak.

Just ordered a laptop (gaming) since I'm working on the road. Also amd, and I can't wait to put it through its paces!

But really, you can use whatever components you want! I like to buy the best for a price point, I don't shy away from refurbished or slightly used. And I don't care about bleeding edge. Just want fun!

I normally build gaming machines, high-end..

Yeah AMD pulled ahead for now for production machines, Intel still owns gaming however.

The biggest issue I saw was cheaping out on the wrong components as in the ones that really matter the most. The platform parts, motherboard, PSU and CPU cooling. Cheaping out on the PSU can be and is dangerous, it's the last thing anyone should be cutting corners on.

I saw too many there were building dumpster fire computers.

That or ones that wouldn't even come close to the performance they wanted or thought they would get.

Like putting $20 tires on a stock car and trying to run in the Daytona 500.... Just way too many bad choices based on price normally and they will always get burned. With PC parts you do actually get what you pay for. The higher end parts cost more because they are actually better quality.

There are certain parts that are investments like the Monitor and the PSU, they will last a long time if they get good ones.

I normally don't keep anything more than 5 years as the main system platform wise.

3 years for graphics cards usually.

10 years for a PSU if it's a good one, best to replace after 5 - 7 years depending on what it is. They don't get better with age and when they start going bad they slowly fry the rest of the system. Best to replace them once the warranty expires or soon after.

I can't even begin to count how many Graphics cards and motherboards I have seen fried due to people getting cheap PSU's.

Monitors can last longer depending.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

We need to start a new thread for PC Building discussion. :D
I'm still running a 2500k as well, running at 4.2GHz for a decade now. Started with a 570, then jumped to a 1070 when I found one for a decent price.
My previous machine was built around an A64 2400+ that only died because of a failed surge protector. :rolleyes: I've had good experiences with both AMD and Intel, but I wouldn't buy at the top of either line.
—Daniel Jackson
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 am
We need to start a new thread for PC Building discussion. :D
I'm still running a 2500k as well, running at 4.2GHz for a decade now. Started with a 570, then jumped to a 1070 when I found one for a decent price.
My previous machine was built around an A64 2400+ that only died because of a failed surge protector. :rolleyes: I've had good experiences with both AMD and Intel, but I wouldn't buy at the top of either line.

I ran a I7 870 for about 8 years before I replaced it. That's the longest I ever ran a platform for my main PC. It couldn't keep up with the new GPU's anymore so it had to go.

Running a 9900K and 2080Ti etc, etc now. (Also have 7700K and 8700K and MB's and CPU's currently) (And GTX 1080 and GTX 1080Ti) The 8700K and GTX 1080Ti is my 2nd (spare) gaming machine. One of these days I will get around to putting the 7700K and MB in the other system that is 6 years old now...

Don't plan on having to replace it for a long time either.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I still have a 1999/2000-ish Dell running XP home. I need to office space that thing. Pushing electrons at my desk now in a supervisory position, I don’t want to touch a PC when away from work. If it can’t be done on my iPhone I just no longer care. Too many kids, too little time!
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

I'm still fairly active over at BF, mostly in the traditional sub, or The Porch as it's affectionately known as. BF was the first knife forum I signed up for, followed by here around two weeks later. I like the traditional and general sections as they're not as brand specific and the thread topics vary a bit more. I tend to stay away from some of the more "colorful" sections/threads, which probably adds to the positive experiences.

The Spyderco sub is my 3rd most active section there. Like here, I lurk/read/learn more and post less. I find it interesting that my number of posts here and in the Spydie sub over there are so close. I don't think that's a bad thing. I really enjoy the atmosphere and content more than I like adding to it :)
- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I used to visit the Traditional sub forum fairly regularly, but it seems to be overloaded with “lookit what I got” and a few who post loooong replies to other’s posts with comments like, “that’s a great stag, nice micarta, wow, excellent addition” and so forth. Once, quoting directly from Great Eastern Cutlery’s website defining their notion of what constitutes a “traditional” knife as having 1095 carbon steel, I got pounded and insulted so much that I just stopped going there..
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:01 pm
I used to visit the Traditional sub forum fairly regularly, but it seems to be overloaded with “lookit what I got” and a few who post loooong replies to other’s posts with comments like, “that’s a great stag, nice micarta, wow, excellent addition” and so forth. Once, quoting directly from Great Eastern Cutlery’s website defining their notion of what constitutes a “traditional” knife as having 1095 carbon steel, I got pounded and insulted so much that I just stopped going there..

Some do seem to have very strong opinions about things that's for sure.

I tend to stay away from those sub forums.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:13 am
soc_monki wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Yeah AMD pulled ahead for now for production machines, Intel still owns gaming however.

The biggest issue I saw was cheaping out on the wrong components as in the ones that really matter the most. The platform parts, motherboard, PSU and CPU cooling. Cheaping out on the PSU can be and is dangerous, it's the last thing anyone should be cutting corners on.

That or ones that wouldn't even come close to the performance they wanted or thought they would get.

Like putting $20 tires on a stock car and trying to run in the Daytona 500.... Just way too many bad choices based on price normally and they will always get burned. With PC parts you do actually get what you pay for. The higher end parts cost more because they are actually better quality.

There are certain parts that are investments like the Monitor and the PSU, they will last a long time if they get good ones.

I normally don't keep anything more than 5 years as the main system platform wise.

10 years for a PSU if it's a good one, best to replace after 5 - 7 years depending on what it is. They don't get better with age and when they start going bad they slowly fry the rest of the system. Best to replace them once the warranty expires or soon after.

I can't even begin to count how many Graphics cards and motherboards I have seen fried due to people getting cheap PSU's.

I don't usually build super high end. For my gaming needs, modest hardware works fine. I just upgraded my wife's graphics card to an rx 570 4gb, with the 6 core spu (although might up it to an 8 core...). Runs WOW great! And GTA 5. For about 700 bucks when built, it rocks. Mine was a little more due to the Intel cpu, but its still kicking hard.

Had to replace my psu, it popped but didn't take anything with it thankfully! Wife's has gone bad twice, first one just stopped after I added a few more fans. Warrantied it and got her a new one in the meantime. Have to warranty that one now, voltage regulator went out and it would shut down when starting a game. Put the one I had after warranty on the first one and good to go.

I upgraded from an HD 6850 to an R7 370 4gb for my computer. Working great. Guess you could call me a budget gamer.

I refuse to buy pre-built now. Upgradeability, more robust components, no proprietary junk, or cheap, weak power supplies. I offer to build for lots of people, but very few have taken me up on it. I built one for my mom, 450 with windows. Does everything she needs, no frills. Doubt you could find one half as good anywhere at that price.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:13 am
soc_monki wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

I don't usually build super high end. For my gaming needs, modest hardware works fine. I just upgraded my wife's graphics card to an rx 570 4gb, with the 6 core spu (although might up it to an 8 core...). Runs WOW great! And GTA 5. For about 700 bucks when built, it rocks. Mine was a little more due to the Intel cpu, but its still kicking hard.

Had to replace my psu, it popped but didn't take anything with it thankfully! Wife's has gone bad twice, first one just stopped after I added a few more fans. Warrantied it and got her a new one in the meantime. Have to warranty that one now, voltage regulator went out and it would shut down when starting a game. Put the one I had after warranty on the first one and good to go.

I upgraded from an HD 6850 to an R7 370 4gb for my computer. Working great. Guess you could call me a budget gamer.

I refuse to buy pre-built now. Upgradeability, more robust components, no proprietary junk, or cheap, weak power supplies. I offer to build for lots of people, but very few have taken me up on it. I built one for my mom, 450 with windows. Does everything she needs, no frills. Doubt you could find one half as good anywhere at that price.

I have never bought a prebuilt computer.

Always build my own.

I do a lot of research before picking components so it takes me time to pick out what I want to use.

I like to build rock solid machines because I don't like issues.

I like to turn up all the settings in game to the max and play. :D

I am very picky about the PSU, I only use Seasonic and their high end models. Currently Seasonic Prime Titanium in both gaming boxes and Seasonic X Series in the other one.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Always build my own.

I do a lot of research before picking components so it takes me time to pick out what I want to use.

I am very picky about the PSU, I only use Seasonic and their high end models. Currently Seasonic Prime Titanium in both gaming boxes and Seasonic X Series in the other one.
I didn't know you could build until I watched a buddy do it. Then I learned, and will never buy another pre-built. They are throwaway devices. Laptops you can't do much about, but for a desktop there is no contest imo.

I haven't tried seasonic psus, I will have to in my next build. Along with an ssd (nope, still haven't made the switch but they're getting really cheap now!) 1tb for around 100 bucks? Overkill really. Get a nice 256gb and then a 1 or 2tb hdd for storage.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Ankerson wrote:

Always build my own.

I didn't know you could build until I watched a buddy do it. Then I learned, and will never buy another pre-built. They are throwaway devices. Laptops you can't do much about, but for a desktop there is no contest imo.

I haven't tried seasonic psus, I will have to in my next build. Along with an ssd (nope, still haven't made the switch but they're getting really cheap now!) 1tb for around 100 bucks? Overkill really. Get a nice 256gb and then a 1 or 2tb hdd for storage.

Be careful when picking an SSD, very careful, go by price and you will get burned I guarantee it. ;)

Samsung makes the best ones, no contest there and they are rock solid and reliable.

They are all not the same believe me...

I don't have any regular HD's left, running all SSD's now in all 3 machines.

I have been running Seasonic PSU's for a long time now, they are rock solid...

BUT..

It's not just the brand name, it's the model that really matters, they all make low end trash, and that is all of them across the board. And yes they are complete garbage.

We call them PSU shaped objects.... And you really wouldn't want one in your system.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:58 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Always build my own.

Be careful when picking an SSD, very careful, go by price and you will get burned I guarantee it. ;)

Samsung makes the best ones, no contest there and they are rock solid and reliable.

BUT..

It's not just the brand name, it's the model that really matters, they all make low end trash, and that is all of them across the board. And yes they are complete garbage.

We call them PSU shaped objects.... And you really wouldn't want one in your system.
I was looking at western digital drives. I've always had good luck with them, but I use Samsung as well. I was told to stay away from Seagate, but that was many years ago so that may have changed.

Boards, I usually use msi. Graphics are sapphire, although I believe I've used msi there as well. Psus are usually evga, but after 2 going out in my wife's tower I may be going away from them. Good warranty support though... Lol
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:56 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:58 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Always build my own.

BUT..

I was looking at western digital drives. I've always had good luck with them, but I use Samsung as well. I was told to stay away from Seagate, but that was many years ago so that may have changed.

Boards, I usually use msi. Graphics are sapphire, although I believe I've used msi there as well. Psus are usually evga, but after 2 going out in my wife's tower I may be going away from them. Good warranty support though... Lol

EVGAs are actually good, but like I said it depends on the model. Don't ever use anything less than the G2 Series from them, they are all garbage.... Total trash... The G2's and above are good, very solid and reliable... Like I said it's not just the brand, it's the model that is extremely important.

I use AORUS MBs and EVGA GPUs.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

One more thing on PSUs.

Some listen to the wrong advice on both model and wattage. They get a low end or budget PSU and less wattage than was recommended... OH BOY......

There are more than a few people out there that will experiment with your money recommending parts they would never even think about putting their own machines. Believe me they are out there and more than just a few of them and they tell people what they want to hear.... ;)

What happens after that is nothing good. It might not happen right away, but it will happen.

Have seen plenty of people lose their whole systems because of it.

Some do get lucky, but that's not many, percentages are really fairly low on that.

I never tell someone what they want to hear, I always tell them the truth and try and point them in the right direction.

And if their budget is too low I let them know they need to raise it. That and recommend parts are more reliable than the ones they picked.

I at least try to get them setup with a stable platform to work from.

There are all kinds of things that can cause problems, and major problems when building a PC.

Lots of things to research and take into count before buying.

The VRMs on the motherboard is a big one, if they can't handle the load or the cooling isn't good and they overheat they will cause all kinds of headaches for people. Just because the MB maker says you can put X CPU on Y board doesn't mean that it's actually going to work properly or be stable. Especially when gaming and or overclocking.. CPU's pull a lot more wattage then the manufactures say they do, and that creates heat from both the CPU and VRMs. That's not even getting into the graphics cards and what they actually can pull, that affects the VRMs also.

Graphics cards are another one, there are different tiers of graphics cards even with the same GPU. The higher up you go the better the cooling, VRMs and the higher they are clocked. Too many people get burnt getting a low tier graphics card then they overheat and or don't even come close to the performance they expect. With poor cooling on the graphics card they throttle faster and forget overclocking one of those very much. They really run HOT, bigtime.... One really has to pay attention to what it is they are buying.

The worst part that I found when recommending parts is the person tells you one thing they are going to use the PC for then later on they actually use it for something else. Especially when you stay within a certain budget range.

Oh I am not interested in Overclocking or high end gaming. Then flip that around 180 degrees once they build it....

That is a nightmare.

I do realize people have budgets they need to be in and I try and stay within that range.

But they have to be honest with me what they are actually going to use the PC for and what they expect.

I do stay very far away from low end gaming systems however and will not recommend parts to build one.

That is my #1 rule.

Low end is like under $500, I won't even touch it. I don't want anything to do with them and won't attach my name to one ever.

I prefer to stay in the $1,000 range or higher realistically for a gaming machine when recommending parts.

Email or Internet box is fine, but they have to understand that's all it is. If they want to do more with it down the road it will be a major upgrade buying and replacing parts with higher tiered parts than they already bought the 1st time. I tell them upfront also....

PSUs are in very short supply now so I don't recommend building anything until that changes.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

The topic was "what has become of Blade Forums"

You have 5500+ posts and are derailing

If you and Soc start a computer thread, I promise I will follow to try and educate myself
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:09 pm
The topic was "what has become of Blade Forums"

You have 5500+ posts and are derailing

If you and Soc start a computer thread, I promise I will follow to try and educate myself

Trying not to derail too much, but it did go off track somewhat, partly my fault for sure and I did take it in another direction. :o

I don't have anything more to add as far as BF goes that hasn't already been said however.

They could find another host though as the forum does really slow down bad in the busy times.

A computer thread might be boring though, you think?

If you have any questions I would be glad to try and help if I can. :)

More of a hardware guy though personally and always have been. So I don't know everything, nobody really does, just have to know were to find the answers.

Start a thread or over PM, either way.