What has become of Bladeforums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Re: What has become of Bladeforums?

Post by The Deacon »

Have to admit that I almost never post on BF anymore and the only place I visit regularly is Whine & Cheese, for about the same reason I visit the monkey house at the zoo, to watch the monkeys fling poo at one another.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:31 am
Bladeforums is HEAVILY moderated and it is a free for all filled with toxic behavior.
I know a few pubs like that.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Pretty much the same for me. I restricted myself to the traditional sub forum, buy and sell traditional‘s which I did two or three times but by and large found the same people talking about the same stuff over and over and over. I didn’t see a lot of depth in terms of quantity of content relative to quantity.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I rarely go there now either. I got tired of the argumentative overly aggressive types who insist on dragging what should be good threads down into mud wrestling events. Some of those guys even question peoples values and morals for not showing sufficient outrage at knifemakers they disapprove of. It often doesn't pay to have a different viewpoint there.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:04 pm
I lurk over at bladeforums. I have been on several forums of different topics for years and always sense if your not part of "the good ole boys" you dont belong. I see that here also, just not as much
Sorry you feel that way about here! I find just about every senior member here to be pretty helpful and fair towards everyone. Most have a great sense of humor as well!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I haven't had a problem on this forum or bladeforums. I see some people over there being a little "nose in the air" with their attitude, but I've always had good interactions. The buck forum is nice, the spyderco forum obviously, and the benchmade forum. I've bought a knife from the exchange with no problems, went against the Ganzo lovers, etc. I think it's an OK place.

Love the forums here as well. I guess I'm just chill and easy to please lol!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve had no personal problems as I ignore trolls etc. I just get tired of their constant arguments, ruffled feathers, snootiness, but most of all the lack of engaging content....boring.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blade Forums isn't too bad, some of the sub forums can be interesting however depending, you really have to have a thick skin if you post in those.

Whine and Cheese and the Political sub forums are those for sure, enter at your own risk. I stay out of those as I just don't find them interesting personally most of the time.

General is more of a mishmash of everything, you get it all there so take it with a grain of salt.

They really don't care about your feelings so as I said THICK SKIN.

There are plenty of good people there, but there are also trolls as there are all over the internet and a lot of them do get banned on BF for trolling.

Some have strong opinions about things and they will make them known, remember it's the internet.

The Mods do a good job keeping things under control in such a huge forum.

NEVER talk back to a MOD on the forum, do it in PM, that is one of the fastest ways to get banned on BF.

Personal attacks are not tolerated either, keeping a level head is important.

I have been on Blade Forums for a VERY LONG time, since 2002.

The biggest thing is read the forum rules and don't break them, also the different sub forums have their own rules also.

Like most forums it goes through changes and stages with new people coming in etc.

If you stick around it can be good.

Jim
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 am
Have to admit that I almost never post on BF anymore and the only place I visit regularly is Whine & Cheese, for about the same reason I visit the monkey house at the zoo, to watch the monkeys fling poo at one another.
Gave me a good laugh. Thank you.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I mostly use it to buy and sell knives, and it's still my favorite place to do so. It may have gone down hill, but there are still a lot of good guys on there that enjoy messaging and trading knives. I also like browsing and sharing pictures. Other than a lurker Instagram account, I don't have any other social media so it's how I get my fill of knifey stuff. However, I almost never frequent the Spyderco subforum there because I like it here much better.

Most forums are full of trolls... We are all spoiled because this is possibly one of the best forums out there IMHO.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:05 am
I’ve had no personal problems as I ignore trolls etc. I just get tired of their constant arguments, ruffled feathers, snootiness, but most of all the lack of engaging content....boring.
IMO, there’s only so many ways, with only minor variations, that knives can be discussed. I was a member there not long after BF got started, and it was more exciting then because it was all new. Almost anything (but not 100%) that’s being discussed now has already been talked about a thousand times already in some form.

Jim
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

From the moment I got a computer and discovered online forums I've been active on mostly knife related forums

Knifeforums was my 1st and I made some life-long friends there on outdoor skill camps (PWYP) with members
Bladeforums was probably next
Spyderco forums was shortly after
Usual Suspects Network was next
Lastly was JerzeeDevil, but I probably haven't visited there in years.

I use to be more active on USN, but a few years back a lot of the makers I liked left for Instagram & other online media. There is still some good content there, it's just a lot less than I'm interested in. After that I started visiting Bladeforums more. Honestly I pretty much only visit General, Traditional, Fiddleback, Buck, Benchmade, and the Spyderco subforums. I keep a membership there because it's still one of the better places to sell/buy knives online.

I need to get my son to learn me on Instagram. One of my knifemaker friends is more active there. I've also seen some cool new knives from young makers that are only on Instagram.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Like some others, I used to be very active on Bladefourms but now rarely check it. I check this forum once or twice a day, BF I check once or twice a week. Too many trolls and I always felt like they had heavy handed moderators. Most of my time there was spent on the Spyderco sub forum and I feel like this forum is way more active so I just ended up spending most of my time here.
Gaston444

Post by Gaston444 »

When Cliff Stamp was banned I think the informational value of BF dropped, but maybe I shouldn't say that, since he was banned here too... *EDITED - Cliff Stamp has never been banned here. He is and always has been welcome on our forum. - TazKristi*

I have to say I did find their Busse subforum to be a nicer bunch of people, as the rest seems pointlessly confrontational... My biggest objection is the prominently pinned Ankerson ranking, which I think amounts to spreading misinformation. Newer more carbide loaded steels are ranked almost by date of introduction, newer=highest, or rarest most expensive=highest, and that really reflects the high level of anti-information that permeates BF. I did learn the rub nail to detect micro burr trick there, probably one of the most important of all for me, but that is about it. G.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow, didn’t know so many others felt similarly. The only time I go there is to check the Spyderco sub forum to find out why the Spyderco forum is down! And rarely to try my hand at a trade or post WTB. It just isn’t very welcoming. Maybe I suffer from too many choices there too. Decision fatigue?

One of my personal pet peeves about any forum is when the long timers jump a new member’s case for asking a question that every new member asks. I really don’t like overly modded fora; they stifle the natural flow of human interaction. I find some of the best threads are those that suffer permanent drift :cool:

I didn’t know Knifeforums went away. Hadn’t been there in a while. It also had its issues with the self appointed “elite” members. And boy don’t you cross the Bark River fans...

I also spend time on BushcraftUSA. I haven’t experienced much negativity there at all, but I stick to a small handful of places. I generally find folks are very supportive of each other and helpful to everyone. I started Bushclass with the idea I’d bring the kids along in the journey and use the platform as a refresher for me and a resource for teaching “bush” skills. For the most part we just do car camping, and backyard-craft.

I also spend some time on an archery forum that for the most part is filled with good people. But don’t you dare suggest you enjoy target shooting as opposed to bowhunting; and don’t talk about compounds at all. One of the mods there is heavy handed and blatantly rude when he deletes posts and “cleans up” a thread. He leaves more garbage behind with his commentary than he fixes. In spite of that the place is still worth visiting. I just avoid any of his posts.

I think Sal & Kristi do a fantastic job here. There doesn’t seem to be much moderation at all, and the mods are careful with their hammers. I’d say folks here are pretty well behaved and supportive too. A great place to meet in the ether. Thanks to all of you make this a place worth visiting and contributing!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here, at least it is engaging. Most of the content at BF is bland or nonsense. There are some knowledgeable people there I interact with, but a lot changed with the overhaul.

As I said, I ignore trouble makers. I quit a couple of sub forums because the place was too antagonistic. I still post a little, but not like before. Mostly, I just take a glance and go. Engaging in a real discussion is not going to happen as a general rule and I posit that it is because of the idiots.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm
Here, at least it is engaging. Most of the content at BF is bland or nonsense. There are some knowledgeable people there I interact with, but a lot changed with the overhaul.

As I said, I ignore trouble makers. I quit a couple of sub forums because the place was too antagonistic. I still post a little, but not like before. Mostly, I just take a glance and go. Engaging in a real discussion is not going to happen as a general rule and I posit that it is because of the idiots.

I don't do a lot there myself lately.

Waiting for things to get back to normal on the forum again.

I might look at a few sub forums like the Randall Forum so that's about it really.

I spend most of my time here. :spyder:

Was spending some time on a computer forum until a MOD overstepped and threatened me on the public forum. Stating facts back up by evidence in testing that went against what they wanted to believe as a fanboy... I did put him in his place and slammed him with tons of evidence and proven facts by professional testers... That didn't go over all too well though as facts don't matter to fanboys...

I called him out on it and was banned, then they reversed it... But the other MODS didn't like that so it wasn't long before I was banned forever. They all stick together you know...

I couldn't have any opinion on anything unless it followed theirs..... :rolleyes:

Was on that forum for over 12 years with no issues until that MOD overstepped.... New MOD with a big head.... Wasn't even on the forum that long either... A year or two maybe... ;)

If you think BF is over MODED too much, that's nothing compared to the computer forum...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It’s one thing to be a fan, it’s another to be blind.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:18 pm
It’s one thing to be a fan, it’s another to be blind.

That was my whole point.... LOL

It didn't go over well and I was banned forever.

I had been a MOD and SUPERMOD myself on other forums and I never saw anything go down like that before. :rolleyes:

It was BS forum politics.... :rolleyes:

The other computer forum I am on I don't even bother anymore as it's ran by fanboys and loaded with misinformation and trolling.

It got so bad I can't stand to read anything on there anymore.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sat May 16, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:52 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm

I don't do a lot there myself lately.

Waiting for things to get back to normal on the forum again.

I might look at a few sub forums like the Randall Forum so that's about it really.

I spend most of my time here. :spyder:

Was spending some time on a computer forum until a MOD overstepped and threatened me on the public forum. Stating facts back up by evidence in testing that went against what they wanted to believe as a fanboy... I did put him in his place and slammed him with tons of evidence and proven facts by professional testers... That didn't go over all too well though as facts don't matter to fanboys...

I called him out on it and was banned, then they reversed it... But the other MODS didn't like that so it wasn't long before I was banned forever. They all stick together you know...

I couldn't have any opinion on anything unless it followed theirs..... :rolleyes:

Was on that forum for over 12 years with no issues until that MOD overstepped.... New MOD with a big head.... Wasn't even on the forum that long either... A year or two maybe... ;)

If you think BF is over MODED too much, that's nothing compared to the computer forum...
LOL...I mod on a couple of firearm forums and contribute on several more, you want to see fanbois and purse-swinging fights you should visit some of them. But between the fanbois, self-proclaimed "experts on everything", anti-gun interlopers and just the occasional member meltdown it can get pretty bizarre at times.

And I know what you mean about computer forums, before I gave up on them I saw folks banned for liking the wrong components...seriously.

BF isn't "over-modded" but they do allow some folks over there to run amok with apparently no consequences.