What has become of Bladeforums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: What has become of Bladeforums?

Post by Doc Dan »

Let's try to get back on track, shall we? Kristi just closed another thread because it went waaaayyy out of bounds.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:09 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:05 am
I’ve had no personal problems as I ignore trolls etc. I just get tired of their constant arguments, ruffled feathers, snootiness, but most of all the lack of engaging content....boring.
IMO, there’s only so many ways, with only minor variations, that knives can be discussed. I was a member there not long after BF got started, and it was more exciting then because it was all new. Almost anything (but not 100%) that’s being discussed now has already been talked about a thousand times already in some form.

Jim
That's a great point Jim. Because Bladeforums had it's golden days for sure. I joined over there in Nov 2004 about 2 months after I joined here. Buying, Selling & trading were a lot better back in the old days. It's to the point now I won't even consider a trade unless someone is a Gold Member and has been there at least 3 to 5 years with a solid trading record.

Your points about a lot of subjects being gone over several times is true for sure. But like Ankerson said about the Sub Forums those can be interesting. Because in the past year I've taken more of an interest in Axes, Hatchets and other striking tools. You can usually spot the trouble making trolls and just simply not answer and avoid them. Don't really ever have to do that here at Spyderco.com though>> which is why I post here more often.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 am
James Y wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:09 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:05 am
I’ve had no personal problems as I ignore trolls etc. I just get tired of their constant arguments, ruffled feathers, snootiness, but most of all the lack of engaging content....boring.
IMO, there’s only so many ways, with only minor variations, that knives can be discussed. I was a member there not long after BF got started, and it was more exciting then because it was all new. Almost anything (but not 100%) that’s being discussed now has already been talked about a thousand times already in some form.

Jim
That's a great point Jim. Because Bladeforums had it's golden days for sure. I joined over there in Nov 2004 about 2 months after I joined here. Buying, Selling & trading were a lot better back in the old days. It's to the point now I won't even consider a trade unless someone is a Gold Member and has been there at least 3 to 5 years with a solid trading record.

Your points about a lot of subjects being gone over several times is true for sure. But like Ankerson said about the Sub Forums those can be interesting. Because in the past year I've taken more of an interest in Axes, Hatchets and other striking tools. You can usually spot the trouble making trolls and just simply not answer and avoid them. Don't really ever have to do that here at Spyderco.com though>> which is why I post here more often.

I enjoy the Randall and Busse sub forums, the Randall forum can be very informative. The SUPER MOD that runs it is extremely knowledgeable and active.

The Testing forum and others can be good or not depending on what is going on etc.

In short BF is massive with a ton of sub forums, something for just about anyone really.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hahahahahahaha, I told you! And somebody (NOT ME) just let them have it!!!!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/for ... w.1744316/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:46 pm

He was in Wine and Cheese, no wonder he had issues. LOL
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:53 pm
Naperville wrote:

They did the same thing to me...they would snipe, snipe, snipe, and bash everything I posted and finally I found out that there were like 5 to 10 of the miscreants in whine and cheese targeting me.

You cannot win on that board. Way too many troublemakers run the place.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:01 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:53 pm
Naperville wrote:

They did the same thing to me...they would snipe, snipe, snipe, and bash everything I posted and finally I found out that there were like 5 to 10 of the miscreants in whine and cheese targeting me.

You cannot win on that board. Way too many troublemakers run the place.

W&C and the Political forums are not the places to be on BF... ;)

The other forums are much better..
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I just ignore them and its fine. no need getting upset like that guy did.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The problem is that some escape whine and cheese into other forums. Here we do something about these characters
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

BF was a great place from '05 to around '14....I was offline for a while and when I returned most of my friends and favorite posters were gone to parts unknown...some were Mods. What replaced them have for the most part turned out to be self-important trolls, sad because of what the place use to be. It USE to be a font of blade knowledge and tons of fun....now, not so much.

I lurk there more than post because most of the populace over there just want to argue and crap on your posts, discounting any knowledge you bring to the table.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

What gets me is the lack of engaging content on most of the subforums. Some are okay. I am probably boring too, but if you start a conversation over there what results are responses that make me ZZZZZZZZ.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

People come and go from forums, including BF and here as well. I was one of the earlier members there (joined BF in late 1998, though my profile says 1999). Almost all of the members I remembered from the early years are gone. Some have passed away. Sadly, not long ago, one of the good guys, Charlie Mike, whose posts also happened to be very interesting, passed away around a year ago.

I frequent some of the forums there, though I tend to post infrequently. Mostly I frequent the multi-tools/multi-purpose knives forum. IIRC, the only posts I’ve made in the W&C forum were on some of the threads for posting music. Maybe another one about bad drivers. But mostly I stay away from that sub-forum.

TBH, there’s really only so many ways to discuss any subject before it starts becoming repetitive. Even knives. Sure, knives, steels, etc. evolve over time, but a knife is still a knife. It’s the same with other types of forums. I’ve been a member of a martial arts-related forum as long as BF, and members that posted there for years, including myself, are mostly gone. I only pop in there on rare occasions to update a soundtrack music thread I started years ago.

I joined this forum back in 2004, but mostly stayed away for 14 years, until late 2018. I don’t post a whole lot in the Spyderco General Discussion forum, because I feel others have more of value to contribute than I do. I’ve never even posted pics before.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:37 am
People come and go from forums, including BF and here as well. I was one of the earlier members there (joined BF in late 1998, though my profile says 1999). Almost all of the members I remembered from the early years are gone. Some have passed away. Sadly, not long ago, one of the good guys, Charlie Mike, whose posts also happened to be very interesting, passed away around a year ago.

I frequent some of the forums there, though I tend to post infrequently. Mostly I frequent the multi-tools/multi-purpose knives forum. IIRC, the only posts I’ve made in the W&C forum were on some of the threads for posting music. Maybe another one about bad drivers. But mostly I stay away from that sub-forum.

TBH, there’s really only so many ways to discuss any subject before it starts becoming repetitive. Even knives. Sure, knives, steels, etc. evolve over time, but a knife is still a knife. It’s the same with other types of forums. I’ve been a member of a martial arts-related forum as long as BF, and members that posted there for years, including myself, are mostly gone. I only pop in there on rare occasions to update a soundtrack music thread I started years ago.

I joined this forum back in 2004, but mostly stayed away for 14 years, until late 2018. I don’t post a whole lot in the Spyderco General Discussion forum, because I feel others have more of value to contribute than I do. I’ve never even posted pics before.

Jim

I joined BF in 2002...

Was on the computer tech forums much earlier than that... I used to be on another knife related forum before BF, but don't remember what it was and don't think it's still around either...
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:50 am
What gets me is the lack of engaging content on most of the subforums. Some are okay. I am probably boring too, but if you start a conversation over there what results are responses that make me ZZZZZZZZ.
This, exactly.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I haven't posted on BF in about 18 months. When I did it was mostly in the buy/sell subgroup. The traditional knife guys were always knowledgeable and friendly. Moods and egos didn't rear their ugly heads there like many of the other corners of BF. I have just always liked the mood here more than any other place on the internet.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm very active over on BF, mof, it's cannibalized most of my discretionary screen time I used to spend here :o ...

Didn't realize you were permanent banned Jim, that sucks ... somehow I missed it... :confused: ... anyways, I bet I can guess which mod dropped the hammer on ya without peeking, too. :rolleyes:

Busse sub-forum is, by far imho, the most friendly sub over there...besides the obvious choice ;)

Mainly because Jerry and Jaxx, et al have the same general philosophy as Sal about "house rules." Plus, most hogs do a solid job of self-regulating and rooting out the trolls.

But yeah, mod sass will have you walking the plank pretty fast-- regardless of if you're in the right, or not. Definitely not a democracy or republic over there.

And it's very obvious some subs are very clannish and some mods have their cadre of "pets" that hang on their every comment and will drop a "like :) " on their masters' posts faster than Marshal Matt Dillon can slap leather. Don't waste your time in those places with that type of mindless thralls.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

paladin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:09 pm
I'm very active over on BF, mof, it's cannibalized most of my discretionary screen time I used to spend here :o ...

Didn't realize you were permanent banned Jim, that sucks ... somehow I missed it... :confused: ... anyways, I bet I can guess which mod dropped the hammer on ya without peeking, too. :rolleyes:

Busse sub-forum is, by far imho, the most friendly sub over there...besides the obvious choice ;)

Mainly because Jerry and Jaxx, et al have the same general philosophy as Sal about "house rules." Plus, most hogs do a solid job of self-regulating and rooting out the trolls.

But yeah, mod sass will have you walking the plank pretty fast-- regardless of if you're in the right, or not. Definitely not a democracy or republic over there.

And it's very obvious some subs are very clannish and some mods have their cadre of "pets" that hang on their every comment and will drop a "like :) " on their masters' posts faster than Marshal Matt Dillon can slap leather. Don't waste your time in those places with that type of mindless thralls.

Especially in Political from what I have seen over the years... Much more FAR RIGHT radical points of views are entertained and it's plainly obvious. So it's generally best to stay out of there as a general rule... Very radical and every conspiracy theory that you can dream of to support it... And those are protected who are that way, those who aren't tend to be threatened.... Even some long time members get threatened...... ;)

Just using it as an example of what can and does go on, nothing more than that... And it really is THAT bad.... But people are warned before they enter however... I think they need a Super MOD to spend a lot of time in there for awhile to level things out.... There are some MODS and they are level headed that do try to keep a lid on things, but it's very hard and really doesn't work most of the time...

Like I said before the other forums do tend to be better in most respects...
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 pm
Especially in Political from what I have seen over the years... Much more FAR RIGHT radical points of views are entertained and it's plainly obvious. So it's generally best to stay out of there as a general rule... Very radical and every conspiracy theory that you can dream of to support it... And those are protected who are that way, those who aren't tend to be threatened.... Even some long time members get threatened...... ;)

Just using it as an example of what can and does go on, nothing more than that... And it really is THAT bad.... But people are warned before they enter however... I think they need a Super MOD to spend a lot of time in there for awhile to level things out.... There are some MODS and they are level headed that do try to keep a lid on things, but it's very hard and really doesn't work most of the time...

Like I said before the other forums do tend to be better in most respects...
The political forum sounds like a dandy place to be! guess i better get over there and start working on my ban!!

just kidding! i stay away from those types of discussions. they never turn out well!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pretty sure we will start to see BF members over here starting trouble due to this thread. There are good reasons why many forums ban "bash forum X" kind of threads. No one needs the hassle. If you know how they are over there, then you know how they will respond, so why keep poking them? But I'm not a mod here or anywhere, so carry on.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:50 am
Pretty sure we will start to see BF members over here starting trouble due to this thread. There are good reasons why many forums ban "bash forum X" kind of threads. No one needs the hassle. If you know how they are over there, then you know how they will respond, so why keep poking them? But I'm not a mod here or anywhere, so carry on.

It's not bashing the forum at all.

A lot of us here are active members on BF so we really do know how things are.

It's more of a warning of what to avoid and or be careful of over there.

People can get their feathers ruffled very fast depending on what sub forum they enter.

It's not like it is here. ;)

Put it this way, I read over my posts here before I submit it, on BF I don't worry about it too much...
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.