What has become of Bladeforums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
murphjd25

Re: What has become of Bladeforums?

Post by murphjd25 »

Sparks a…well I’ll just leave it at that.
Josh
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm
**** I haven't been able to log in over there in well over a month. Spark changed the website and I forgot my password. ****, I was on there all the time for years.
Now, their password reset email will not work with Yahoo. I've asked what's going on and the last few time I've asked I've gotten no response. I've already asked about a possible refund for my GOLD membership if they can't get this issue with Yahoo fixed (and other .com's btw)
I wish someone could ask Spark for me what the **** is going on......I'm really frustrated about it and really pissed that he is igging me now.....
There is this issue here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/two ... t-20488946
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 am
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm
**** I haven't been able to log in over there in well over a month. Spark changed the website and I forgot my password. ****, I was on there all the time for years.
Now, their password reset email will not work with Yahoo. I've asked what's going on and the last few time I've asked I've gotten no response. I've already asked about a possible refund for my GOLD membership if they can't get this issue with Yahoo fixed (and other .com's btw)
I wish someone could ask Spark for me what the **** is going on......I'm really frustrated about it and really pissed that he is igging me now.....
There is this issue here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/two ... t-20488946
Thanx Jim. But, that's not it. Although it is an issue, just not mine.
They're having a problem getting yahoo.com ( and some other .com's) to accept emails from the website.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I follow a work related mail list that covers mail ops ( all the background stuff that makes email flow between servers, etc) and I can tell you the issue is very real and can be near impossible to get solved. The big email handlers (Yahoo,Microsoft,Google, etc.) have become very strict when it comes to accepting emails from smaller sources. Your server ( or its assigned IP number or block of numbers) can be blocked or rate limited for a variety of reasons. Some of which can be outside of your control. Getting the blocks removed is often difficult. It is claimed that all of this is to reduce SPAM, however the big email handlers have their own outgoing SPAM issues as well. Nobody ever said life was fair.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:05 am
I follow a work related mail list that covers mail ops ( all the background stuff that makes email flow between servers, etc) and I can tell you the issue is very real and can be near impossible to get solved. The big email handlers (Yahoo,Microsoft,Google, etc.) have become very strict when it comes to accepting emails from smaller sources. Your server ( or its assigned IP number or block of numbers) can be blocked or rate limited for a variety of reasons. Some of which can be outside of your control. Getting the blocks removed is often difficult. It is claimed that all of this is to reduce SPAM, however the big email handlers have their own outgoing SPAM issues as well. Nobody ever said life was fair.

Which is why I never use GMAIL, Yahoo mail etc.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Wow. I didn't know that.
But, I do know this, that "nobody ever said life was fair line doesn't apply to a paying customer.
You may lie down and take it, that's your business
Not me. They'll either lemme know what's going on or refund my money for that Gold Membership
If I never get back on that site, then that's fine. But, I will get my money back.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wow. I didn't know that.
But, I do know this, that "nobody ever said life was fair line doesn't apply to a paying customer.
Not me. They'll either lemme know what's going on or refund my money for that Gold Membership
If I never get back on that site, then that's fine. But, I will get my money back.
Sorry the "Nobody ever said life was fair" part was aimed not at you but at how the big email firms cause havoc for the little guys, but allow tons of spam out of their own systems. Because they are so big, no one can just do to them what they do to others. I should have been more clear.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:30 am
Yup add another former member just got banned for life for comments toward a brand of knife that I had negative experiences with. I got beat down for my opinion and told to basically shut up. Then I defended my post further which got me an infraction. I was told I had up to 5 more infractions before I was ultimately banned. So I had a snarky comment that followed and the pissed off moderator just clipped my wings....petty pieces of **** .....I actually laugh at that clown. I am actually glad , that place is toxic and not too friendly. It will ultimately save me money ....thanx blade forums !
Just a quick note.

The moderators get along with and communicate on a daily basis with the punks that actually run the site. If Blade Forums were ever to get rid of the 10 to 15 loudest and most rude characters of the site the ad traffic would drop 50%.

The best bet is to allow them to castigate you. Take the beatings like a good lemming. And of course by all means, shut up. Challenging one of the mods buddies is never going to go in your favor.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I have 200 infractions and a ban in bladeforums from back in like, 2013 or something. I never ever got along with the mods. hahaha. If I recall correctly, they were bashing on a maker, and I was on the makers side.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:43 am
JRinFL wrote:

Which is why I never use GMAIL, Yahoo mail etc.
Some isp's don't provide email service. Mine of 20 years is dropping ours in a couple weeks. That will leave me with just yahoo.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:52 pm
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:30 am
Yup add another former member just got banned for life for comments toward a brand of knife that I had negative experiences with. I got beat down for my opinion and told to basically shut up. Then I defended my post further which got me an infraction. I was told I had up to 5 more infractions before I was ultimately banned. So I had a snarky comment that followed and the pissed off moderator just clipped my wings....petty pieces of **** .....I actually laugh at that clown. I am actually glad , that place is toxic and not too friendly. It will ultimately save me money ....thanx blade forums !
Just a quick note.

The moderators get along with and communicate on a daily basis with the punks that actually run the site. If Blade Forums were ever to get rid of the 10 to 15 loudest and most rude characters of the site the ad traffic would drop 50%.

The best bet is to allow them to castigate you. Take the beatings like a good lemming. And of course by all means, shut up. Challenging one of the mods buddies is never going to go in your favor.
Bwahaha, I think you're mostly right, those dozen or so characters do generate a lot of traffic.
There's no less than 7 ad trackers on every page you visit there. Here there's ZERO.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

razorsharp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:21 pm
I have 200 infractions and a ban in bladeforums from back in like, 2013 or something. I never ever got along with the mods. hahaha. If I recall correctly, they were bashing on a maker, and I was on the makers side.
I don't think I ever said "boooo" to anyone for years, then because I had 80 knives and did not post a picture of my collection, the big mouths that the mods luv, started calling me a liar in Whine and Cheese and it spilled over to attacks in General. I found out about it and asked the **EDITED** if any of them wanted it meet up with me on the South Side of Chicago to debate the finer aspects of life.

Since they are all **EDITED**, they banned me. The site is a useless piece of #@$%^&*(!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:59 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wow. I didn't know that.
Sorry the "Nobody ever said life was fair" part was aimed not at you but at how the big email firms cause havoc for the little guys, but allow tons of spam out of their own systems. Because they are so big, no one can just do to them what they do to others. I should have been more clear.
Oh! I see. Thank you.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I’ve only been there for a couple of months. So far I haven’t seen any of the trouble that’s been mentioned here.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JRinFL wrote:
( or its assigned IP number or block of numbers) can be blocked or rate limited for a variety of reasons. Some of which can be outside of your control. Getting the blocks removed is often difficult.
True dat. I've been running a hosted web page for decades, back when it was truly an avant garde endeavor. Sometimes the hassles with the big dogs makes me want to just pull the plug and start using their email services.

Back to Bladeforums... I think I've only been banned once. Someone was asking about a product. I replied that it was a shoddy Chicom ripoff, and they would be much happier if they bought the original from the legitimate manufacturer. I was banned because "Chicom" is inflammatory political rhetoric. Later, I realized that the manufacturer or distributor of the Chicom product is an active member on Bladeforums. And later, I noticed one of the Golden Boys making disparaging comments about a Chinese product, with no apparent negative ramifications. But you know what? I don't really care. I'm still going to say what I want, when I want, but I'm just less inclined to interact over there.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I tried being a basic member there. I pretty much ended up dropping that place like a bad habit. For reasons already discussed by others and not worth bringing up again.

To be fair there is some good info on Blade Forums. But not enough for me to put up with their crap elitist members and mods.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I've been a member there for about 6 months now. It's not as nice as this place, but I haven't had any trouble or run into any idiots yet. Seems like most of the regulars there are decent folks.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:36 pm
I've been a member there for about 6 months now. It's not as nice as this place, but I haven't had any trouble or run into any idiots yet. Seems like most of the regulars there are decent folks.
There are indeed some good members, there. There are a bunch of spoiled brats of all ages that need their butts paddled, too. There is a lot of narcissism over there, too. I still chime in from time to time, but the environment is not as good as it was in years past.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
potoole1971

Post by potoole1971 »

I am a former USMC officer and a graduate of the Hass School of Business (very grateful to have had that opportunity). I am working with a manufacturing company who hired me to do market research in the knife and tool industry, looking to break into the knife and blade market. I gathered a huge amount of information, became pretty fascinated with knives in general, and joined many different forums and organizations, learning and sharing information and the love of knives. I posted ONE, I repete ONE, comment on Blade Forum, and was immediately targeted by one of the "Gold" members, telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, didn't understand knives, didn't understand business, or money, etc. Completely out of the blue.

I (stupidely) identified myself, my adademic credentials, my military background, and the quantity of market research I was involved in, and let him? know that I did indeed know what I was talking about, and that I didn't appreciate his interaction. I was immediately attacked by other senior and "Gold" members, you know, the "Active since 2007" and "9056 posts" guys, who insulted me, told me I didn't understand business, money, knives, etc. I (stupedly) let them know they were being arrogant and disrespectful, and that I was pretty sure I had more education than they did, esp since I graduated from a world-class business school with a background in supply chain management and international marketing (yea it was childish but felt good in the moment :) ) and called them out for being rude to a new member and the overall unprofessionalism on Blade Forum I was experiencing. My account was closed and I was banned by the end of the day. Blade Forum is a weird cultish "club", with dated information and very territorial and not cool folks. I was surprised and disapointed.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

potoole1971 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:06 am
I am a former USMC officer and a graduate of the Hass School of Business (very grateful to have had that opportunity). I am working with a manufacturing company who hired me to do market research in the knife and tool industry, looking to break into the knife and blade market. I gathered a huge amount of information, became pretty fascinated with knives in general, and joined many different forums and organizations, learning and sharing information and the love of knives. I posted ONE, I repete ONE, comment on Blade Forum, and was immediately targeted by one of the "Gold" members, telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, didn't understand knives, didn't understand business, or money, etc. Completely out of the blue.

I (stupidely) identified myself, my adademic credentials, my military background, and the quantity of market research I was involved in, and let him? know that I did indeed know what I was talking about, and that I didn't appreciate his interaction. I was immediately attacked by other senior and "Gold" members, you know, the "Active since 2007" and "9056 posts" guys, who insulted me, told me I didn't understand business, money, knives, etc. I (stupedly) let them know they were being arrogant and disrespectful, and that I was pretty sure I had more education than they did, esp since I graduated from a world-class business school with a background in supply chain management and international marketing (yea it was childish but felt good in the moment :) ) and called them out for being rude to a new member and the overall unprofessionalism on Blade Forum I was experiencing. My account was closed and I was banned by the end of the day. Blade Forum is a weird cultish "club", with dated information and very territorial and not cool folks. I was surprised and disapointed.
Thank you for your service!

After they shut my account down I never went back. I was attacked for not posting pictures of my knife collection to prove to the members that I owned knives. I still shake my head in disbelief. It is a cesspool over there.

Social media is controlled by the hard left and the long term incumbents of whatever silo you happen to be part of.

Raise your questions here and see what responses you obtain, they may give you a starting place for your research.