What has become of Bladeforums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: What has become of Bladeforums?

Post by James Y »

:D

How many threads titled “Are CRK knives worth it?” does BF need?

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, I know.... LOL

Jim
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

James Y wrote:

Jim
Well, you've got to have a place for the people who have never even handled one to say that they aren't. I myself have never handled one, and have no idea if they would be worth it to me. Personally, they are too rich for my blood. Paying $200 for a Shaman stings, but it's such a good knife and I love it so I would do it again. They also go together easily and I have never had to fight it to get it centered, it just is. Therefore I don't have a desire for a CRK that costs 2x + or - more just because it goes together with no hassle.

One day I may handle and use one and it may change my mind. Who knows. At the moment I don't see a need.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
James Y

Post by James Y »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Well, you've got to have a place for the people who have never even handled one to say that they aren't. I myself have never handled one, and have no idea if they would be worth it to me. Personally, they are too rich for my blood. Paying $200 for a Shaman stings, but it's such a good knife and I love it so I would do it again. They also go together easily and I have never had to fight it to get it centered, it just is. Therefore I don't have a desire for a CRK that costs 2x + or - more just because it goes together with no hassle.

One day I may handle and use one and it may change my mind. Who knows. At the moment I don't see a need.
Fair enough. However, I have, on occasion, seen two separate threads, started virtually at the same time, or only a few days apart, started by different people asking that very same question. Unless it’s the same person trolling with two separate accounts.

Invariably, some fans will answer, “You’ve got to get one in your hands, then you’ll understand.”

Non-fans will invariably say, “No they’re not, because I can get four Spydercos or two ZTs for the price of one Sebenza, with its mere S35VN blade steel and bland looks.”

It should be easy enough for someone to just search the question on the forum, or google it, if they’re already aware of what CRKs are and their prices. The same question comes up all the time, and not always from new members, either.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:29 am
soc_monki wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Fair enough. However, I have, on occasion, seen two separate threads, started virtually at the same time, or only a few days apart, started by different people asking that very same question. Unless it’s the same person trolling with two separate accounts.

Invariably, some fans will answer, “You’ve got to get one in your hands, then you’ll understand.”

Non-fans will invariably say, “No they’re not, because I can get four Spydercos or two ZTs for the price of one Sebenza, with its mere S35VN blade steel and bland looks.”

It should be easy enough for someone to just search the question on the forum, or google it, if they’re already aware of what CRKs are and their prices. The same question comes up all the time, and not always from new members, either.

Jim

Jim,

Same with anything that costs MONEY and if it's more than $25 for a lot of people they just won't spend it on a knife, but will buy that newest (enter gadget here that costs $1000) and even stand in line overnight for it....

In the world were cell phones are over $1,400 for some, $65,000 Pickup trucks and $9 for a cup of coffee they will buy everyday $400 for a knife isn't really that much...

We see the same thing on the Computer forums.... OMG how much for that PSU ($150), I can't afford that, not in the budget, but will spend even more than the PSU costs for their mouse or keyboard and not even blink an eye... Gotta have that bling you know....

It's just the logic that some people have really... And it happens all the time....

I know people that will drive 10 to 15 miles out of their way to save a $1.00..... (Costs them more in gas than they saved)

But you just can't tell them anything....

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:13 pm
James Y wrote:
soc_monki wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Same with anything that costs MONEY and if it's more than $25 for a lot of people they just won't spend it on a knife, but will buy that newest (enter gadget here that costs $1000) and even stand in line overnight for it....

In the world were cell phones are over $1,400 for some, $65,000 Pickup trucks and $9 for a cup of coffee they will buy everyday $400 for a knife isn't really that much...

We see the same thing on the Computer forums.... OMG how much for that PSU ($150), I can't afford that, not in the budget, but will spend even more than the PSU costs for their mouse or keyboard and not even blink an eye... Gotta have that bling you know....

It's just the logic that some people have really... And it happens all the time....

I know people that will drive 10 to 15 miles out of their way to save a $1.00..... (Costs them more in gas than they saved)

Jim
Jim,

I’ve mentioned in forums many times: There are many supposedly “poor” kids out there who are running around in designer basketball shoes that cost about as much as or more than a plain-jane Sebenza. Now, whether they or their parents bought them with illicit money or not, who knows? But they’re shoes! Kids’ shoes, that aren’t even going to last long before they’re outgrown or worn out pretty quickly.

If I really plan to buy a luxury item, I’ll sacrifice other nonessential things, like snacks or drinks or whatever it is that I don’t really need. People would be surprised how much $5 here, $10 there, which don’t seem like much spread out, add up. The money saved (that would have been wasted) goes into a fund for that thing I want. Yes, even if it’s an $80 to $100 Spydie.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
soc_monki wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim
Jim,

I’ve mentioned in forums many times: There are many supposedly “poor” kids out there who are running around in designer basketball shoes that cost about as much as or more than a plain-jane Sebenza. Now, whether they or their parents bought them with illicit money or not, who knows? But they’re shoes! Kids’ shoes, that aren’t even going to last long before they’re outgrown or worn out pretty quickly.

If I really plan to buy a luxury item, I’ll sacrifice other nonessential things, like snacks or drinks or whatever it is that I don’t really need. People would be surprised how much $5 here, $10 there, which don’t seem like much spread out, add up. The money saved (that would have been wasted) goes into a fund for that thing I want. Yes, even if it’s an $80 to $100 Spydie.

Jim

Jim,

I don't have a problem with what people buy etc.

It's when they try and belittle (attack) others for buying some of the higher ticket items is when I have an issue... ;)

And THAT happens all the time... ;)

If someone wants something nice and is willing to pay for it then I am all for it. :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:52 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim
Jim,

Jim

Jim,

It's when they try and belittle (attack) others for buying some of the higher ticket items is when I have an issue... ;)

If someone wants something nice and is willing to pay for it then I am all for it. :)

Jim
True. My point about the basketball shoes is that if someone wants something bad enough, as long as it’s within the realm of possibility (and that includes a lot more than most people believe), they will find a way to get it, somehow, some way, if it’s really worth it to them. It’s really not unusual; you see examples of this principle in life every single day. The only question is, how much do you really want it (whatever “it” may be)?

As far as belittling others for buying high-end items (in this case, knives), most of it comes across as sour grapes. “Well, not everyone is rich or has that much disposable income to throw away on a $500 knife like you fanboys.” Meanwhile, the person who says that has literally thousands of dollars invested in dozens (maybe hundreds) of less-expensive knives. I’m definitely not saying that more expensive is better; I am saying that people buy what they like and really want. And what works for them. And if someone prefers lower-priced knives, more power to them. If someone likes higher-end, that alone does not make that person a spoiled snob, or even ‘rich’. It’s very likely the person has a modest income and made sacrifices in other areas in order to acquire the item.

I like knives that cost very little, and I also like the CRKs that I own (which aren’t many).

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:24 am
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:52 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim
Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Jim
True. My point about the basketball shoes is that if someone wants something bad enough, as long as it’s within the realm of possibility (and that includes a lot more than most people believe), they will find a way to get it, somehow, some way, if it’s really worth it to them. It’s really not unusual; you see examples of this principle in life every single day. The only question is, how much do you really want it (whatever “it” may be)?

As far as belittling others for buying high-end items (in this case, knives), most of it comes across as sour grapes. “Well, not everyone is rich or has that much disposable income to throw away on a $500 knife like you fanboys.” Meanwhile, the person who says that has literally thousands of dollars invested in dozens (maybe hundreds) of less-expensive knives. I’m definitely not saying that more expensive is better; I am saying that people buy what they like and really want. And what works for them. And if someone prefers lower-priced knives, more power to them. If someone likes higher-end, that alone does not make that person a spoiled snob, or even ‘rich’. It’s very likely the person has a modest income and made sacrifices in other areas in order to acquire the item.

I like knives that cost very little, and I also like the CRKs that I own (which aren’t many).

Jim

Jim,

I normally like to keep one CRK around to EDC, just one at a time. :)

Yeah, just because someone has something doesn't make them rich etc...

It just means they wanted it and found a way to get it. :)

But we see that whole attacking people all the time, rich, spoiled etc. when they have something...

I think it's sour grapes too. ;)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:44 am

Jim,

But we see that whole attacking people all the time, rich, spoiled etc. when they have something...

Jim
Jim,

It kinda reminds me (but only a little bit) of an incident I witnessed when I was living in Taiwan. It was on a bus during morning traffic. I had been on this driver’s bus many times before and never heard him say a thing. At one point we were stopped in traffic maybe 10 feet from the bus stop. A woman was standing at the rear door, waiting to get off. The woman called out to the bus driver, asking politely if he could open the door and let her out, since we were so close to the bus stop. She looked like a housewife.

He not only told her no, he went on a loud, angry rant. He said (in Mandarin): “You’ll get off when I let you off! This is MY bus!! You don’t tell me what to do on my bus! Who do you think you are?!? You must be a college graduate! College graduate! You think you’re better than me! But I’m stronger than you are! You may be a college graduate, but you’re on MY bus now, college graduate!”

The woman: “No, I was only asking...”

Driver: “Shut up, college graduate! Thinking you’re better than me. Well, you’re not!”

We finally moved the last few feet and he let her off. Afterwards, as he continued driving, he kept on ranting out loud for miles about college graduates thinking they’re better than him because he drives a bus.

Now, I’m certain this guy had many stressors in his life and was probably having an extra-bad day. I’m also sure there was a lot more going on than just a lady asking to be let off early. And I can understand his telling her to wait; it was probably a liability issue if she got hit by a motorcycle or something, if he let her off before the actual stop. But the general mentality (if not the exaggerated tone of it) comes to mind when some of the anti-CRK forumites on BF insinuate that CRK owners (or owners of other high-end brands) are a bunch of spoiled rich people. The assumptions and the bitterness are similar.

Well, I went a bit OT there...:)

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wow, this thread turned into the "Kids these days" and "Get off my lawn" thread.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:56 am
I don’t see how that’s accurate. Wow, this thread turned into the "Kids these days" and "Get off my lawn" thread.
That’s not really an accurate assessment. Who said it was about kids/young people? There are tons of older people who make incorrect assumptions about others on BF.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Fine, it has become the "someone is wrong on the internet!" thread. Similar idea, just not with an age bias.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

Well, the thread IS about what has become of BF, not what is right and rosy about it.

I was speaking of those who pass judgment (almost always with a negative bias) towards others based on the brand(s) of knife they buy, and therefore having incorrect or unproven assumptions about them.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:17 am
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:44 am

Jim,

Jim
Jim,

It kinda reminds me (but only a little bit) of an incident I witnessed when I was living in Taiwan. It was on a bus during morning traffic. I had been on this driver’s bus many times before and never heard him say a thing. At one point we were stopped in traffic maybe 10 feet from the bus stop. A woman was standing at the rear door, waiting to get off. The woman called out to the bus driver, asking politely if he could open the door and let her out, since we were so close to the bus stop. She looked like a housewife.

He not only told her no, he went on a loud, angry rant. He said (in Mandarin): “You’ll get off when I let you off! This is MY bus!! You don’t tell me what to do on my bus! Who do you think you are?!? You must be a college graduate! College graduate! You think you’re better than me! But I’m stronger than you are! You may be a college graduate, but you’re on MY bus now, college graduate!”

The woman: “No, I was only asking...”

Driver: “Shut up, college graduate! Thinking you’re better than me. Well, you’re not!”

We finally moved the last few feet and he let her off. Afterwards, as he continued driving, he kept on ranting out loud for miles about college graduates thinking they’re better than him because he drives a bus.

Now, I’m certain this guy had many stressors in his life and was probably having an extra-bad day. I’m also sure there was a lot more going on than just a lady asking to be let off early. And I can understand his telling her to wait; it was probably a liability issue if she got hit by a motorcycle or something, if he let her off before the actual stop. But the general mentality (if not the exaggerated tone of it) comes to mind when some of the anti-CRK forumites on BF insinuate that CRK owners (or owners of other high-end brands) are a bunch of spoiled rich people. The assumptions and the bitterness are similar.

Well, I went a bit OT there...:)

Jim

Jim,

I agree, there does seem to be a lot of "assumptions about people" and that does tend to trigger some and then the piling on starts, the mob mentality.

The really sad thing is that we aren't even talking about expensive items here in the grand scope of things. :rolleyes:

It's not like someone just got a $500,000 car or bought their 3rd Million Dollar vacation house someplace or just got a new 150ft Yacht..... Or a Private Jet... Stuff that actual rich (Wealthy) people buy..... Not just some random $400 item..... They could spend that much on eating lunch out. ;)

I mean what's $400 when looking at what MOST things cost these days?

Having a $400 item means someone is rich? :rolleyes:

I see the same thing on the computer forums, someone spends $20 or $30 more for something and they are all of a sudden rich or whatever... :rolleyes:

And people will argue with you FOREVER over budget no matter what, even if it's not exactly safe, they will still favor cheaper over safety almost every time.

That is a problem...

Jim
Last edited by Ankerson on Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Edited, quoted instead of edited.... :o
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Well, being old, somewhat mentaly challenged, but also blessed by having very deep pockets, I would like to add nothing to what may be a very dead end subject.
Elementalbreakdown

Post by Elementalbreakdown »

It goes beyond simple trolling on there. Even after months of ignoring, some of the sociopaths on the mentioned subforums actively monitor posts of people and desperately attempt to drag them back into pointless trolling situations. Truly weird stuff. There are a few that spend literally hours a day refreshing pages to see what trash talking and trouble they can start. These are grown men that spend thousands of hours a year engaged in actively antagonizing people. Pyschotic.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Elementalbreakdown wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:10 pm
It goes beyond simple trolling on there. Even after months of ignoring, some of the sociopaths on the mentioned subforums actively monitor posts of people and desperately attempt to drag them back into pointless trolling situations. Truly weird stuff. There are a few that spend literally hours a day refreshing pages to see what trash talking and trouble they can start. These are grown men that spend thousands of hours a year engaged in actively antagonizing people. Pyschotic.

Well in the world of Reddit and other assorted social media it's not surprising.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:23 pm
Jim,

I agree, there does seem to be a lot of "assumptions about people" and that does tend to trigger some and then the piling on starts, the mob mentality.

The really sad thing is that we aren't even talking about expensive items here in the grand scope of things. :rolleyes:

It's not like someone just got a $500,000 car or bought their 3rd Million Dollar vacation house someplace or just got a new 150ft Yacht..... Or a Private Jet... Stuff that actual rich (Wealthy) people buy..... Not just some random $400 item..... They could spend that much on eating lunch out. ;)

I mean what's $400 when looking at what MOST things cost these days?

Having a $400 item means someone is rich? :rolleyes:

I see the same thing on the computer forums, someone spends $20 or $30 more for something and they are all of a sudden rich or whatever... :rolleyes:

And people will argue with you FOREVER over budget no matter what, even if it's not exactly safe, they will still favor cheaper over safety almost every time.

That is a problem...

Jim
I don't care for arguments about what people buy, or what they may or may not have.

That said, sometimes I cannot figure out why people buy what they buy or collect. I just let it go.

We are on knife forums, and one persons obsession is going to be as unique as their fingerprint, interest in art or architecture.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/