What has become of Bladeforums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Re: What has become of Bladeforums?

Post by The Meat man »

potoole1971 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:06 am
I am a former USMC officer and a graduate of the Hass School of Business (very grateful to have had that opportunity). I am working with a manufacturing company who hired me to do market research in the knife and tool industry, looking to break into the knife and blade market. I gathered a huge amount of information, became pretty fascinated with knives in general, and joined many different forums and organizations, learning and sharing information and the love of knives. I posted ONE, I repete ONE, comment on Blade Forum, and was immediately targeted by one of the "Gold" members, telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, didn't understand knives, didn't understand business, or money, etc. Completely out of the blue.

I (stupidely) identified myself, my adademic credentials, my military background, and the quantity of market research I was involved in, and let him? know that I did indeed know what I was talking about, and that I didn't appreciate his interaction. I was immediately attacked by other senior and "Gold" members, you know, the "Active since 2007" and "9056 posts" guys, who insulted me, told me I didn't understand business, money, knives, etc. I (stupedly) let them know they were being arrogant and disrespectful, and that I was pretty sure I had more education than they did, esp since I graduated from a world-class business school with a background in supply chain management and international marketing (yea it was childish but felt good in the moment :) ) and called them out for being rude to a new member and the overall unprofessionalism on Blade Forum I was experiencing. My account was closed and I was banned by the end of the day. Blade Forum is a weird cultish "club", with dated information and very territorial and not cool folks. I was surprised and disapointed.
Hi potoole, Welcome to the Forum!

That's too bad and disappointing. Thankfully you rarely see that sort of behavior over here. Sal sets a great example for us. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

potoole1971 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:06 am
I am a former USMC officer and a graduate of the Hass School of Business (very grateful to have had that opportunity). I am working with a manufacturing company who hired me to do market research in the knife and tool industry, looking to break into the knife and blade market. I gathered a huge amount of information, became pretty fascinated with knives in general, and joined many different forums and organizations, learning and sharing information and the love of knives. I posted ONE, I repete ONE, comment on Blade Forum, and was immediately targeted by one of the "Gold" members, telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, didn't understand knives, didn't understand business, or money, etc. Completely out of the blue.

I (stupidely) identified myself, my adademic credentials, my military background, and the quantity of market research I was involved in, and let him? know that I did indeed know what I was talking about, and that I didn't appreciate his interaction. I was immediately attacked by other senior and "Gold" members, you know, the "Active since 2007" and "9056 posts" guys, who insulted me, told me I didn't understand business, money, knives, etc. I (stupedly) let them know they were being arrogant and disrespectful, and that I was pretty sure I had more education than they did, esp since I graduated from a world-class business school with a background in supply chain management and international marketing (yea it was childish but felt good in the moment :) ) and called them out for being rude to a new member and the overall unprofessionalism on Blade Forum I was experiencing. My account was closed and I was banned by the end of the day. Blade Forum is a weird cultish "club", with dated information and very territorial and not cool folks. I was surprised and disapointed.
Welcome potoole1971! You won't have those kinds of issues here. A lot of here are also members on BF. So not everyone is bad over there. I have seen some pretty bad attitudes there though. That's one of the reasons I usually stick to the Spyderco section at Blade Forums. It's basically run by the same people that run this forum. I don't go on BF much lately anyway
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I go over to BF occasionally, but Potoole, I agree with your assessment. It is not the same as it used to be. There are still a lot of good people over there, but some of the powers that be need to go away. They would not be tolerated over here. We have a nice, peaceful bunch and even occasional spats between longtime members is ironed out rather nicely. Over here, we can disagree with someone and do it respectfully. We have all sorts, here. We have PhD's, Master's degree holders, bachelor's degree holders from well known and not well known schools, as well as people without any higher education. We have knife makers and metallurgists. We have doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, firefighters, factory workers, laborers. We have people who have been places and done things and all sorts of wonderful folks that make this a rich place.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
desert dude

Post by desert dude »

Hello:
I am a newbie to this forum and a few others. I found bladeforum and lurked for awhile and decidhsed to join. To my surprise after literally months of emails to moderators I couldn't get my password reset. I gave up and here I am. I found one moderator trying to reset my pw but that went nowhere. So forget them and I hope to contribute when I can.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear desert dude:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:50 pm
I go over to BF occasionally, but Potoole, I agree with your assessment. It is not the same as it used to be. There are still a lot of good people over there, but some of the powers that be need to go away. They would not be tolerated over here. We have a nice, peaceful bunch and even occasional spats between longtime members is ironed out rather nicely. Over here, we can disagree with someone and do it respectfully. We have all sorts, here. We have PhD's, Master's degree holders, bachelor's degree holders from well known and not well known schools, as well as people without any higher education. We have knife makers and metallurgists. We have doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, firefighters, factory workers, laborers. We have people who have been places and done things and all sorts of wonderful folks that make this a rich place.
I don't go over there much anymore other than the Randall Knives Forum once in a while. That part is very good and a great source of info on Randall Knives.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

desert dude wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:46 pm
Hello:
I am a newbie to this forum and a few others. I found bladeforum and lurked for awhile and decidhsed to join. To my surprise after literally months of emails to moderators I couldn't get my password reset. I gave up and here I am. I found one moderator trying to reset my pw but that went nowhere. So forget them and I hope to contribute when I can.
Welcome to the Forum . I hope you enjoy your stay here , there are a lot of great members here and I personally respect their views . They even put up with me and that is asking a lot ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ACutAbove

Post by ACutAbove »

Interesting. Glad I found this topic, I was banned from BF this week without even posting! Apparently for "Spam" a couple hours after registering.

Anyway, here and bushcraftusa looks much more inviting amd fit with my (modest) collection of spyderco, fallkniven and barkrivers.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ACutAbove wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:50 am
Interesting. Glad I found this topic, I was banned from BF this week without even posting! Apparently for "Spam" a couple hours after registering.

Anyway, here and bushcraftusa looks much more inviting amd fit with my (modest) collection of spyderco, fallkniven and barkrivers.
Welcome to the Forum ! Hope you enjoy your stay . Number of knives doesn’t matter to me in the least . Off Topic has a dedicated thread for BRK so you won’t be lonely . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:49 pm
The only thing I do on Blade Forums is buy and sell.
This guy gets it.

It has it’s uses :winking-tongue
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:46 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:49 pm
The only thing I do on Blade Forums is buy and sell.
This guy gets it.

It has it’s uses :winking-tongue
:cheap-sunglasses
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have an account there, but haven't posted. I can see why many say it's a trainwreck.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Same here. I was banned for talking back too. Vulgar display of power!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:38 am
Same here. I was banned for talking back too. Vulgar display of power!
Two of the best albums EVER in your username and last sentence :cheap-sunglasses
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Danke

Post by Danke »

Blade Forums is fine still. Nothing better than seeing clowns get shown the door for talking when they should have been listening.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Danke wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:47 pm
Blade Forums is fine still. Nothing better than seeing clowns get shown the door for talking when they should have been listening.
That's hilarious, tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know.

They attack you for talking about knives over there in almost every other thread, and many times, it's the same guys.

I was attacked for saying that I had more than $20,000 in knives. I have the knives alright and they demanded to see pictures of them. When I did not produce the pics, they started to talk about me in Whine and Cheese(or whatever it's called) which spilled over to the regular forum where I was verbally attacked by several ne'er-do-wells.

I never applied to be a member again. It reminds me of a hard core, seedy, filthy dirty dive bar where the regulars beat on folks for ordering a simple drink.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:18 pm
Danke wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:47 pm
That's hilarious, tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know.

They attack you for talking about knives over there in almost every other thread, and many times, it's the same guys.

I was attacked for saying that I had more than $20,000 in knives. I have the knives alright and they demanded to see pictures of them. When I did not produce the pics, they started to talk about me in Whine and Cheese(or whatever it's called) which spilled over to the regular forum where I was verbally attacked by several ne'er-do-wells.

I never applied to be a member again. It reminds me of a hard core, seedy, filthy dirty dive bar where the regulars beat on folks for ordering a simple drink.

I think I remember that, or hearing about it.

The old saying goes as follows.

Pictures or it didn't happen. ;)

If someone asks for photos and you don't post them they will never believe you. It is the internet so there is some proof needed here and there.

Personally I never cared what people said about me in W&C... And that is NEVER.

We all know what opinions are like. :squinting-tongue
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:38 pm

I think I remember that, or hearing about it.

The old saying goes as follows.

Pictures or it didn't happen. ;)

If someone asks for photos and you don't post them they will never believe you. It is the internet so there is some proof needed here and there.

Personally I never cared what people said about me in W&C... And that is NEVER.

We all know what opinions are like. :squinting-tongue
The knives are valuable to me and 80% of them are still in their original boxes. I'm not going to take 100+ knives out of boxes and take half baked images of them to post on the Internet. I posted what knives that I had, listing every one of them. I buy them because I like them and have them to use if the occasion ever comes up. They are primarily self defense weapons, not cheap garbage. They have accrued 20% in value over the last 5 years. If I sold them I can now get what I paid for them at least, I am pretty sure of that. None will be sold, they are either being passed down to nephew and niece or given to the USMC where they can be put to use.

The opinions bugged me a bit, but the management and admins were the worst, they support the attacks on people by turning a blind eye to the instigators. I still go to the site every week or so, and it's the very same accts over and over again attacking people for talking about knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Danke

Post by Danke »

Love dive bars!
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I never had a problem on Blade Forums. To me, it’s like a big city. Stay out of certain neighborhoods if you don’t want trouble. I stick to the main knife discussion boards and stay out of anything off topic. I’ve actually found most members to be pretty friendly and respectful.