Bicycles? The latest, The Best?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Bicycles? The latest, The Best?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm going on an extensive trip to the Missouri Ozarks toward the end of this Summer of 2020. Where I'm going I won't need vehicular transportation for the 40 days I'll be there but some type of "all terrain Bicycle would be nice. Back in the day when I was an avid distance runner I also cross trained with a 12 speed racing bike and I really enjoyed it for years. Haven't had a bicycle in quite some time now but I'm now in the market for one and I really am overwhelmed with the broad selection of bicycles that are out there on the market.

I think I would like to have a high quality mountain bike for several reasons. A good friend of mine who moved out west years ago really swore by his "SPECIALIZED" brand mountain bike and the last time I spoke with him ( about 3 years ago) he was still recommending to me to get a SPECIALIZED mountain bike.
We have a dealer here where I live who sells SPECIALIZED mountain bikes as well as a huge selection of other types of bicycles as well. But I will consider and look into any recommendations.

In the past 10 years I've had knee replacements as well as a shoulder replacement and I've completely lost touch with the bicycle market. I think that a "mountain bike" with a big gear selection is right up my alley for a lot of reasons. I have a huge lake close to where I live that has lots of nice trails where I could also ride locally the year round. So any recommendations you all might give me would be appreciated. And we can talk about bicycles in general with their advantages and disadvantages.
Ankerson

Re: Bicycles? The latest, The Best?

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:03 am
I'm going on an extensive trip to the Missouri Ozarks toward the end of this Summer of 2020. Where I'm going I won't need vehicular transportation for the 40 days I'll be there but some type of "all terrain Bicycle would be nice. Back in the day when I was an avid distance runner I also cross trained with a 12 speed racing bike and I really enjoyed it for years. Haven't had a bicycle in quite some time now but I'm now in the market for one and I really am overwhelmed with the broad selection of bicycles that are out there on the market.

I think I would like to have a high quality mountain bike for several reasons. A good friend of mine who moved out west years ago really swore by his "SPECIALIZED" brand mountain bike and the last time I spoke with him ( about 3 years ago) he was still recommending to me to get a SPECIALIZED mountain bike.
We have a dealer here where I live who sells SPECIALIZED mountain bikes as well as a huge selection of other types of bicycles as well. But I will consider and look into any recommendations.

In the past 10 years I've had knee replacements as well as a shoulder replacement and I've completely lost touch with the bicycle market. I think that a "mountain bike" with a big gear selection is right up my alley for a lot of reasons. I have a huge lake close to where I live that has lots of nice trails where I could also ride locally the year round. So any recommendations you all might give me would be appreciated. And we can talk about bicycles in general with their advantages and disadvantages.

Oh yeah, they are for the most part the best.

Also look at Cannondale and compare. :)

I doubt the basics have changed too much, you still are paying for the frame. :)

Make sure you really check out what hardware is on the model you choose, good be really good or not so much depending.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:10 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I doubt the basics have changed too much, you still are paying for the frame. :)

Make sure you really check out what hardware is on the model you choose, good be really good or not so much depending.
Yeah I know that the derailleurs, brakes and other hardware items really help determine how well the bike will perform. I'm wondering if "Campy" equipment is still available? I'm going down to chat with this local dealer when they open up again. They don't seem to sell any discount, third world made trash>> no they seem like a real bicycle pro shop for sure.

I had a buddy years back who had one of those Cannondale, all aluminum frame bikes. I've used their clothing line a lot over the years. I don't see their stuff around like I did years ago.

Also the two SPECIALIZED models I looked at were in the $350 to $450 range. I know I'll have to invest about a $100 in a really good lock as well.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:24 am
Ankerson wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Yeah I know that the derailleurs, brakes and other hardware items really help determine how well the bike will perform. I'm wondering if "Campy" equipment is still available? I'm going down to chat with this local dealer when they open up again. They don't seem to sell any discount, third world made trash>> no they seem like a real bicycle pro shop for sure.

I had a buddy years back who had one of those Cannondale, all aluminum frame bikes. I've used their clothing line a lot over the years. I don't see their stuff around like I did years ago.

Also the two SPECIALIZED models I looked at were in the $350 to $450 range. I know I'll have to invest about a $100 in a really good lock as well.

I used to bike a lot too, I built my own.

Cannondale frame with Campagnolo C-Record hardware, road bike. And a Cannondale frame and Shimno hardware for the mountain bike.

I don't know anything about that price range you are talking about.. :confused:

Just a good derailleur would run more than that.

I was thinking more in the $2,500 range and up as you said the best.... And you get into the good hardware and light weight frames.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Cannondale frame with Campagnolo C-Record hardware, road bike. And a Cannondale frame and Shimno hardware for the mountain bike.

I was thinking more in the $2,500 range and up as you said the best.... And you get into the good hardware and light weight frames.
Well these two SPECIALIZED mountain bikes I looked at in the $350-$450 price range looked pretty rugged to me. They told me that they would warranty either one of those bikes for 2 years. Now if you're racing competitively I could see spending that type of money. But just to ride in the local hills and to use the bike to get around here in the town I'm living in those two models looked great to me. But I haven't finished looking yet either.
Most of the stuff that RIP-Mart and the other discount stores sell is so crappy I wouldn't even consider anything like that. I'm sure that if I were riding competitively that would be another story. But I think I'll be able to get something in the $400-$500 range and still have a bike that will be quite adequate for what I'm going to use it for.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:49 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Well these two SPECIALIZED mountain bikes I looked at in the $350-$450 price range looked pretty rugged to me. They told me that they would warranty either one of those bikes for 2 years. Now if you're racing competitively I could see spending that type of money. But just to ride in the local hills and to use the bike to get around here in the town I'm living in those two models looked great to me. But I haven't finished looking yet either.
Most of the stuff that RIP-Mart and the other discount stores sell is so crappy I wouldn't even consider anything like that. I'm sure that if I were riding competitively that would be another story. But I think I'll be able to get something in the $400-$500 range and still have a bike that will be quite adequate for what I'm going to use it for.

It's really not just racing... ;)

With your injuries etc you might want to look into something that is light weight.

The lighter the better really, those steel frames are heavy and can take a toll on a person depending. That is what you are going to get in that price range so beware.

Better that than getting one that is too heavy and end up not using it anymore or having to trade up later.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm at that stage where a good bike would do my knees a ton of good. Huffy just isn't cutting it anymore! 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Donut

Post by Donut »

The last company I worked at, I heard a few people talking about some good bikes that you can order and assemble and save yourself quite a bit of money.

Wish I would have gotten the name. I should probably search the internet to see if I can find it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
benben

Post by benben »

**Fully rigid hardtail, no front suspension?
**Hardtail with a front suspension fork?
**Full suspension bike / frame?

Steel frames offer a more compliant ride than a rigid aluminum frame, aluminum has zero flex or give. If you do go the mountain bike route, take advantage of the newer 29” or 27.5” wheel sets, they roll over rough stuff much better than 26” wheels. The newest frames offer the boost rear which has wider chain & seat stays, on a 27.5” (650B) frame you can run up to 2.8 and 3.0 tires. Those high volume tires are in itself like having (some) suspension.

I’ve been toying with the idea of building me a steel 27.5” wheeled hardtail with a 140mm front fork. I’m 55 but I still love riding rough, technical, root filled single track, if I don’t go with a steel frame, I’ve been looking at a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame. With mountain bikes.....the skies the limit!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JD Spydo wrote:
I have a huge lake close to where I live that has lots of nice trails where I could also ride locally the year round. So any recommendations you all might give me would be appreciated.
It sounds like this summer's trip could be an excuse to buy yourself a toy that you'll be able to enjoy at home, year 'round.

I ride--a lot. You mentioned that you have experience from ten years ago. Forget all that. EVERYTHING has changed since then: frame geometry, frame materials, drivetrains, brakes, wheel diameters, hub widths, tire widths, suspensions, saddles, seatposts. The difference between a modern mountain bike and one from ten years ago is like a Spyderco Shaman in REX 45 vs one of those folding knifes at the checkout counter at Harbor Freight. Also prepare yourself for the fact that bikes are more expensive today than they were a decade ago.

You mentioned Specialized. They make good bikes. My last bike was a Specialized S-Works Epic. I had fun on it, but I'm done with them. They used to be the big dog. All their parts were proprietary, but they had a huge nationwide network of stores. Then one day they tore up the agreements with nearly all their dealers. It was a shifty trick to pull on the dealers, but customers were also left out in the cold because most bike stores couldn't get parts. It's personal with me.

I ride an Ibis. They make great bikes at a premium price. Another brand at the top of my list is Pivot. It's another boutique brand that you pay handsomely for. Trek and Yeti also make great bikes. Trek is a big company, so you can find some smokin' deals. BUT... since you're a new guy reentering the game, you should take a serious look at Giant. They build great bikes, they have a huge distribution network, and they have great support. They're big enough that their prices are lower than their boutique competitors.

You mentioned gears. You're going to want 1x12. Everything else is last year. I like Sram, but Shimano is good. You'll probably want to go with 29" wheels. Full suspension, of course.

There are three basic "styles" of mountain bikes, for the most part. "Cross country" is somewhat passé, as "trail" style bikes have become so versatile. A "trail" bike is going to be middle of the road, and the best for most trails you'll encounter. "Enduro" style bikes are going to have slacker geometry, more travel and are better suited to handling big chunk, but not as easy to ride on easier trails. I'd steer you toward something in the middle. It will give you most fun for your buck.

If you have any GOOD bike stores nearby--I know it might be hard at this time to figure out what constitutes good--ask them to demo a bike. By "demo," I mean take it out for the morning on the trails. Riding around the parking lot doesn't tell you much.

I could type more, but I suspect by now everyone has scrolled on to a thread about knives. If you have any more questions, just ask.

EBBB5AD7-1A70-4757-948C-92668EF4EB8F.jpeg
benben

Post by benben »

Great post RustyIron! And you’re right, this game has seriously evolved!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
I have a huge lake close to where I live
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:50 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
I have a huge lake close to where I live that has lots of nice trails where I could also ride locally the year round. So any recommendations you all might give me would be appreciated.
It sounds like this summer's trip could be an excuse to buy yourself a toy that you'll be able to enjoy at home, year 'round.

I ride--a lot. You mentioned that you have experience from ten years ago. Forget all that. EVERYTHING has changed since then: frame geometry, frame materials, drivetrains, brakes, wheel diameters, hub widths, tire widths, suspensions, saddles, seatposts. The difference between a modern mountain bike and one from ten years ago is like a Spyderco Shaman in REX 45 vs one of those folding knifes at the checkout counter at Harbor Freight. Also prepare yourself for the fact that bikes are more expensive today than they were a decade ago.

You mentioned Specialized. They make good bikes. My last bike was a Specialized S-Works Epic. I had fun on it, but I'm done with them. They used to be the big dog. All their parts were proprietary, but they had a huge nationwide network of stores. Then one day they tore up the agreements with nearly all their dealers. It was a shifty trick to pull on the dealers, but customers were also left out in the cold because most bike stores couldn't get parts. It's personal with me.

I ride an Ibis. They make great bikes at a premium price. Another brand at the top of my list is Pivot. It's another boutique brand that you pay handsomely for. Trek and Yeti also make great bikes. Trek is a big company, so you can find some smokin' deals. BUT... since you're a new guy reentering the game, you should take a serious look at Giant. They build great bikes, they have a huge distribution network, and they have great support. They're big enough that their prices are lower than their boutique competitors.

You mentioned gears. You're going to want 1x12. Everything else is last year. I like Sram, but Shimano is good. You'll probably want to go with 29" wheels. Full suspension, of course.

There are three basic "styles" of mountain bikes, for the most part. "Cross country" is somewhat passé, as "trail" style bikes have become so versatile. A "trail" bike is going to be middle of the road, and the best for most trails you'll encounter. "Enduro" style bikes are going to have slacker geometry, more travel and are better suited to handling big chunk, but not as easy to ride on easier trails. I'd steer you toward something in the middle. It will give you most fun for your buck.

If you have any GOOD bike stores nearby--I know it might be hard at this time to figure out what constitutes good--ask them to demo a bike. By "demo," I mean take it out for the morning on the trails. Riding around the parking lot doesn't tell you much.

I could type more, but I suspect by now everyone has scrolled on to a thread about knives. If you have any more questions, just ask.

EBBB5AD7-1A70-4757-948C-92668EF4EB8F.jpeg

Yes, things have changed a lot since I was riding over 20 years ago. :eek:

I was actually checking out and thinking about a Mountain bike not too long ago myself so I was looking into it.

Was mainly to get around better for my photography since walking long distances is painful for me.

Things have gotten much more costly as you said, looks like something in the $2,500 range seems to really be the sweet spot. Can get a composite frame and 29" tires and with good hardware. Drop too much below that and the weight really goes up a lot and the quality of the hardware really starts to drop.

$2,500 isn't too bad, a good high quality lens costs about that much so. :)

But the high end is much higher than it really used to be, looks like one could spend $15,000 on a mountain bike without much trouble these days. :eek:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I wanted a steel frame for a build that I will probably never finish. Anyways I went with Surly.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I own both Trek and Specialized, neither has ever let me down.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:15 pm
I hadn't heard of or seen a TREK bike in quite some time. When I was doing a bit of racing and distance running in the 80s & 90s there were a lot of TREK bikes back then. I raced with a TAKARA 12 speed with Suntour and Schimmano equipment.

I'm wondering what you all might think of these carbon fiber frames. Yeah it's been a while since I did any serious biking.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:50 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Hey thanks for the great rundown RustyIron. I will say up front that my competitive days are in the history books for sure. I would just want to ride for exercise and fun. I like the fact that most Mtn Bikes have really low gears making it relatively easy to go up steep hills. It seems like most Mtn Bikes tend to absorb shock better than most other bikes>> also being able to handle rough terrain.

I'm now taking a look at some of these carbon fiber frames. It may be more than I want to spend ( $450 to $550 max). But so far the SPECIALIZED bikes in that price range I've been checking out at my local dealer seem to be what I'm looking for. But I'm sure going to look at a lot of them before I lay down some cash.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
I have a huge lake close to where I live
Dude you better be careful doing that around those Salt Water Crocidiles :eek: But I bet those outback deserts would be a great place to take an all terrain type bike. You just don't give up do you BLOKE :D ????
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:15 pm
I hadn't heard of or seen a TREK bike in quite some time. When I was doing a bit of racing and distance running in the 80s & 90s there were a lot of TREK bikes back then. I raced with a TAKARA 12 speed with Suntour and Schimmano equipment.

I'm wondering what you all might think of these carbon fiber frames. Yeah it's been a while since I did any serious biking.
I ride an OLD (2001-02) Trek carbon fiber mountain bike and other than tires and an occasional tune-up (Primarily front shock rebuilds and recently a gel-padded seat) I just ride the crap out of it. My Specialized is an almost as ancient Rockhopper and it is just as durable.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I road raced bicycles for more than two decades in the 80's and 90's. I own a steel framed Serotta and paid around $2,000 for all of the things that I got with the basic frame.

I'm not in to it much now.

Back in the 2000's I think Schwin(NOT the Paramount division) and Treck were bought by the Chinese. Just dropping some info. I do not know who owns any of the companies any more.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/