Long shot question: anyone wear Russell Moccasins?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
blendergasket

Long shot question: anyone wear Russell Moccasins?

Post by blendergasket »

I'm not a hunter (yet) and not on any hunting forums, so I figured I'd ask here in case anyone has experience:

I'm really fed up with paying $150 - $200+ a pop for good, minimalist waterproof hiking shoes and boots only to have them wear out or fail in just a few months.

Has anyone used Russell Moccasins? I am interesting in 3 season use in the PNW, likely sticking with trail runners in the summer and using them in fall winter and spring. My goal is finding boots that hold up well for on and off trail hiking in terrain from groomed trail to mossy rainforest to rocky alpine terrain.

I'd be adding microspikes/possibly kahtoola crampons/and using them with snowshoes in the winter/high country.

I have heard generally great things about the boots, but have read about issues people have with the process and initial fit.

Does anyone have experience with these? Thank you!
Monty

Re: Long shot question: anyone wear Russell Moccasins?

Post by Monty »

They travel to a number of events, you need to meet them at one and have your foot measured and fit for the shoes. For the price I would not order an off the shelf pair but a fitted pair is very nice.
Bill1170

Re: Long shot question: anyone wear Russell Moccasins?

Post by Bill1170 »

I got a pair of Russel lace up shoes in suede leather with rubber soles at age 17. I wore them often until I outgrew them in my mid 40’s due to “middle age foot spread.” I had them resoled at least once (I’m very easy on outsoles), and the uppers were still good when I passed them on. The quality was outstanding. I believe I sent them a tracing of my feet along with circumferential measurements at several places. This was in the mid 1970’s.