When your LED TV goes bad in only 18 Months

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: When your LED TV goes bad in only 18 Months

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:18 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:38 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:27 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:12 am

I have actually had very good luck with TV's lasting normally.

Still have an LCD TV that is fine and it's over 10 years old and a Plasma TV that is even older than that and still good. And another LCD TV that I used as a computer monitor for over 10 years before it went bad...

I did have 2 TV's that were wasted due to power issues over the years.... But that wasn't the TV's fault....

It's just bad luck with this one....

You can't even buy a good Computer Monitor for $190 so there is always that.... ;)

Have to look up the actual TV Model # and see what you are actually getting for that $190.....

It is a sceptre 50" 4k...dont know the model number off hand, but it's a decent TV especially for the price. Our 1080p sceptre has been good as well, perfectly happy with it. I'm sure Samsung and Sony and whoever else have more powerful processors and effects, and more options to adjust, but you really can get a lot for very little these days.

If I can get the model number in a bit I'll post it up. About to get the munchkin to bed! :D

That's what I thought it was.

No legit professional reviews on them so.

However if you are happy then that's all that matters.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-50-C ... U/44829924

It's 199 now, still a deal imo. I don't worry much with professional reviews, and me and the wife can be cheapskates, but it's a decent TV!

I forgot that we do have a Samsung in the house. Our sons TV. Got it on clearance for 180 I think, 32" 1080 smart TV. The other ones have roku boxes on them since we don't have cable.

Professional reviews for electronics are very important for a number of reasons, especally these days.

They validate you are getting what you actually paid for, or not if that's the case.

They test the products to see if they perform as they are supposed to, or not.

They give real information on what the product actually is, specs etc from testing it. Some take the products apart and verify the different components.

They give comparison information of other products so people can make informed choices based on facts.

In general if a product doesn't have any Professional reviews it's normally a red flag unless it's just too new and then waiting until there is one is best.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Anyhow, new TV came today and is all setup and good to go. :)

Samsung Q60T 55" (QLED)

I did get the extended warranty on this one, just incase. ;)

Picture looks better on the Natural setting than the old one did on Dynamic, newer technology coming into play I guess.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

I'm sorry to hear your tv just quit after 18 months.Some home appliances now a days are not made to last.They only last a few years and die.In most cases the parts are either discontinued or extremely costly to replace.Leaving consumer no choice but to purchase new and that is how they make their record profits.

At home my 32" Sony LCD TV of over 10 years is still working.The same for my 15" Toshiba in the kitchen.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Found out today that I do have a protection plan on the TV that went bad.

Forgot that I did get one when I got it.

However they aren't doing anything now with everything being locked down like it is.

So getting a new TV was still the right move things being how they are now. Still going to be months before things open back up.

So the old one will get fixed or replaced by Best Buy once this is all over and things open up again.
Ldg

Post by Ldg »

I’ve always had good luck with vizio especially the older models from round 2012
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Update:

Contacted Best Buy this month like they told me to, they couldn't do anything back when I 1st called them back in April due to the restrictions of what was going on.

They are replacing the TV with a NEW ONE, straight trade out, and a newer model and one grade up to boot.

So it does pay to get the protection plan. :D

Suppose I will use this one to replace my very old Toshiba REZA 37", will be a major upgrade for that...

Will leave it in the box until I get around to to it, no real hurry as it's not my main TV I watch so..

Only thing was I have to get a new TV stand, the 55" won't fit on the old one.... But they don't cost much so.... :o

Like I said not in a hurry....
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:34 am
I thought I had it for 2 years, but it was only 18 months... :mad:
Bummer, dawg.
That manufacturer is crossed off my list. However, fret not. For how long is the warranty? It's not a well known fact, but some credit cards automatically tack another year onto manufacturer's warranties.

Or you can look at this as a blessing. You now have the opportunity to replace that clapped out old Samsung with a new state-of-the-art OLED.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:34 am
I thought I had it for 2 years, but it was only 18 months... :mad:
Bummer, dawg.
That manufacturer is crossed off my list. However, fret not. For how long is the warranty? It's not a well known fact, but some credit cards automatically tack another year onto manufacturer's warranties.

Or you can look at this as a blessing. You now have the opportunity to replace that clapped out old Samsung with a new state-of-the-art OLED.

Not interested in OLED at all.... I will not buy an OLED anything.... Phone/TV/Monitor etc.

Waiting for what will come after OLED... The technology will improve etc... ;)

Already have/bought a new TV in April (QLED) and the replacement from Best Buy is coming now in July also.

The VA and IPS panels are fine to me for TV's currently.

My Gaming monitor is still rated as one of the best gaming monitors on the market currently and it's an IPS panel....

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q..... Example of when they just do something right it's very hard to beat...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Another update:

The replacement TV under the plan that I was going to get isn't available anymore due to supply issues etc.

So I went ahead and upgraded to another QLED, the Samsung Q90T over my current Q60T that I am using now. Not too bad as I got a deal on it and with the money for the original TV subtracted from the cost it wasn't bad at all. It is a MUCH better TV than the Q60T all the way around also.

The Q60T will replace my very old Toshiba REZA 37" LCD, needed to replace it along time ago, but... :o

Hadn't really figured on replacing the 37" originally as under the plan I would have gotten a replacement TV. But due to COVID 19 nobody was doing anything about replacing anything then due to the lockdowns. Wasn't even an option at all then due to the lockdowns, I called so I know.

So I got the Q60T to replace the original 7K series, bought it as the replacement.

Now that things have opened back up, back in April they said to call back in July things are moving again. But with the supply shortages things are interesting.

So hopefully this will all be resolved here soon, the 3 month long issue with undue complications, all of this that would have been simple in more normal times.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Update,

All done, got the new TV yesterday and they took the broken one. :cool:

So it's been resolved, took longer due to Covid 19 lockdowns and just plan bad timing due to the virus and supply issues.

New TV is great. :D

So I got a $2K TV for $1K total prices due to the sales and the refund price of the bad TV. :D

So that timing worked out as the TV was on sale when I got it, and was a good sale.