What's Cookin'?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cambertree

Re: What's Cookin'?

Post by Cambertree »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:10 am
Cambertree wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:58 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:52 am
It is. Well, kinda.

Reminded me of a funny story from when I was a banquet chef...

I doubt it would go over well on here. Kristi might be upset.
Yeah, comfort food like that seems to be universal, just with different names sometimes.

Most bakeries here will have small ones available hot for peoples lunches.

Ha, now you’ve got me curious! Well, since you brought it up, feel free to PM me if you want to share the tale. :)
I'll give it some thought, It's pretty hardcore. I'll have to write it out, omit some info and I might be able to share it with you.

I will say this, the culinary industry was(is) full of some crazy people.

You might sleep better, not knowing. ;)
No worries. I like reading Bourdain and other cookery writers, and my girlfriend has worked both front and back of house, so I’ve heard quite a few funny and crazy culinary stories.

And the bar for being offended in Australia seems to be higher than the US, in general. It’s not at all uncommon to hear CEOs and politicians and other public figures use four letter words in public speaking, to choose a random example. ;)

But yeah, if it takes too long to write out, that’s cool, don’t worry about it. :)
benben

Post by benben »

280EE797-0E8E-4326-84B4-CFCCD268543E.jpeg
29068BB0-F016-4853-AE6D-C268CD3E5411.jpeg
66AAA697-2C79-4331-A954-0B69735E4143.jpeg
MEAT!! My family loves these little country style boneless ribs.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yum!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Chicken Caprese, quick and easy!

Extra Points:
What am I eating in this picture(not pictured)?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Is that a red dyed hot dog?
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

odomandr wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:49 am
Haha, no. It's a red chili pepper from my garden.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 am
odomandr wrote:
I thought it was a kind of radish!

What kind of chilli is that? I somehow ended up with over a hundred plants last season!

Two seasons ago I focused on the superhot varieties. This last season I went more for taste and a wide variety of regional types.

Some of my favourites at the moment are the Rocoto and Manzano Capsicum Pubescens species from the southern part of South America. They’re really crunchy and juicy and tasty with a unique kind of heat that stays at a pleasant level for quite a while.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:31 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 am
odomandr wrote:
I thought it was a kind of radish!

What kind of chilli is that? I somehow ended up with over a hundred plants last season!

Two seasons ago I focused on the superhot varieties. This last season I went more for taste and a wide variety of regional types.

Some of my favourites at the moment are the Rocoto and Manzano Capsicum Pubescens species from the southern part of South America. They’re really crunchy and juicy and tasty with a unique kind of heat that stays at a pleasant level for quite a while.
Plain old Thai chili pepper. I also have Cayenne, Bell and Jalapeno this year. Last year I grew Jalapeno, Chili, Bell, Serrano and 7 Pot Douglah. Had too many house projects this year to do a real garden and then surgery slowed me even further. But, I had to atleast grow some peppers and herbs.

So, is anyone going to be able to win the extra points? :p

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:25 am
Plain old Thai chili pepper. I also have Cayenne, Bell and Jalapeno this year. Last year I grew Jalapeno, Chili, Bell, Serrano and 7 Pot Douglah. Had too many house projects this year to do a real garden and then surgery slowed me even further. But, I had to atleast grow some peppers and herbs.

Nice selection. Yeah tbe Thai chillis are probably the most commonly used ones here in Australia.

I still haven’t managed to find Serranos here, and I’ve been looking out for New Mexico Hatch chillis as well. (We don’t call them peppers here.)

Ugh, the 7 Pots are my nemesis. I haven’t tried the Douglah, but I made the mistake of sampling a 7 Pot Brain Strain one morning out in the garden on an empty stomach. Oh, it was like taking a swig from a crucible of molten steel! :eek: It laid me low for a good couple of hours with cramps! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I can’t think of what you’d be eating with that, cos chilli goes with everything, lol. :)

Vanilla ice cream? :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Nice selection. Yeah tbe Thai chillis are probably the most commonly used ones here in Australia.

I still haven’t managed to find Serranos here, and I’ve been looking out for New Mexico Hatch chillis as well. (We don’t call them peppers here.)

Ugh, the 7 Pots are my nemesis. I haven’t tried the Douglah, but I made the mistake of sampling a 7 Pot Brain Strain one morning out in the garden on an empty stomach. Oh, it was like taking a swig from a crucible of molten steel! :eek: It laid me low for a good couple of hours with cramps! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I can’t think of what you’d be eating with that, cos chilli goes with everything, lol. :)

The chili is in vinegar ;)

Yea these were hardcore, you could cut them open and slosh the oil around inside. I use them to make pepper sauce. I can send you some Serrano seeds if you would like. They are the ultinate pepper for salsa, super crisp flavor.

Here's a few pictures of the 7PDs and what became of them.

ImageImage

-Thomas Jefferson
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I'm not sure what happened with our peppers this year. We have about two dozen jalapenos that just now are coming out..... We had a windy day outside as seedlings that stunted them I think. No bell peppers, no poblanos not a single habaneros....I'm sad about that. Then tomatoes popped up in the beds the peppers are in and took off while the pepper plant is barely a foot tall
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

odomandr wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:35 am
I'm not sure what happened with our peppers this year. We have about two dozen jalapenos that just now are coming out..... We had a windy day outside as seedlings that stunted them I think. No bell peppers, no poblanos not a single habaneros....I'm sad about that. Then tomatoes popped up in the beds the peppers are in and took off while the pepper plant is barely a foot tall
My Jalapenos acted similarly this year. They just now started fruiting for real.

Very weird. The rest of them are doing alright. Although my tomatoes didnt really like where I planted them. Next year I am going to do them all in individual containers, that way I can experiment and see where they like it best at.

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Funny looking back at the evolution of peppers......Jalapeno & Serrano, Habanero & Scotch Bonnet, Thai chili peppers. Now you have all these boutique demons like the Ghost & Reaper peppers, and even hotter than those now! I know where to draw the line.......Habanero peppers are that line for me, and actually they're the upper level of that line!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:03 am
Cambertree wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

The chili is in vinegar ;)

Yea these were hardcore, you could cut them open and slosh the oil around inside. I use them to make pepper sauce. I can send you some Serrano seeds if you would like. They are the ultinate pepper for salsa, super crisp flavor.

Here's a few pictures of the 7PDs and what became of them.

ImageImage
Ah, ok. That’d be a nice vinegar for making salad dressing with.

I tried putting a fresh Ghost pod into a bottle of Stoli and leaving it until the colour leached out if it. It made great Bloody Marys.

Well, I thought so... I don’t know why everyone else who tried it complained the next day... :rolleyes: :D

Those Serranos sound great for salsa, I’ll PM you.

Awesome looking Douglah pods. Are they a chocolate variety?

Yeah, I use the superhot varieties mainly for sauces as well.

Here’s an older pic with some Thais, Cayennes, Carolina Reapers, a White Ghost and a 7 Pot Brain Strain, about to be made into a fresh Caribbean style Peppersauce.

odomandr

Post by odomandr »

We got snowfall today. Picked all my tomatoes yesterday in the mid day darkness of forest fire smoke before the freeze.... Today warranted beans and corn bread. Slow cooker had the house smelling great and the wife got home and made the cornbread....

Hate having boxes of green tomatoes on the table waiting to ripen but better than no tomatoes at all in January
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Going to be smoking peppers this weekend to have for the winter. My jalapenos, habaneros, anaheims, serranos and whatever else that my buddy drags over from his garden. Smoked then chopped or ground and put in Mason jars and sealed up.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

E76AE2BD-2DCB-45D5-9941-032C3A081A8B.jpeg
Fresh caught mangrove snapper ceviche, delicious!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

M Sea wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:33 pm
E76AE2BD-2DCB-45D5-9941-032C3A081A8B.jpeg
Fresh caught mangrove snapper ceviche, delicious!
Yum!
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Chicken, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, mushrooms. I love this griddle
Spydergirl88
M Sea

Post by M Sea »