How are you doing today?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Wartstein

Re: How are you doing today?

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:32 am
Really nice idea for a thread! :)

I´m doing fine. Here in Austria we can still go outside, but just on our owns (so not as a group or even just two together).
Wartstein do you know of popular Austrian YouTuber Survival Lilly?

https://www.youtube.com/user/alonewolverine1984
Actually, yes, but not too much...

Watched maybe three or four of her videos.
I am more into mountaineering and less into "bushcraft" these days.
When I was younger though I did a lot of that shelter building, sleeping in the woods, starting fires deliberately in pouring rain and so on - stuff.. ;) - here in Austria, but also in the North of Sweden, Norway and Finland and somewhen in the 90ies even in Alaska for some weeks.

But I did not know that "Survival Lilly" is obviously rather popular internationally... must have a funny accent for you, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:39 pm
Actually, yes, but not too much...

Watched maybe three or four of her videos.
I am more into mountaineering and less into "bushcraft" these days.
When I was younger though I did a lot of that shelter building, sleeping in the woods, starting fires deliberately in pouring rain and so on - stuff.. ;) - here in Austria, but also in the North of Sweden, Norway and Finland and somewhen in the 90ies even in Alaska for some weeks.

But I did not know that "Survival Lilly" is obviously rather popular internationally... must have a funny accent for you, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger... :D
Lilly is good at speaking English. Love her videos! I follow a few preppers, survivalists, and knife affis on YouTube.

Lilly was the first person to wear a respirator in public that I know of in my channels, and she gave me the guts to do it. It's pretty embarrassing at first but I just kept in mind that Lilly did it, and I was fine.

It's funny that peer pressure to NOT wear a mask is so powerful. This is a life or death decision for some folks. She is a champion leading the way for everyone else!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

PStone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:09 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 am
I've seen a lot of people post about morels, but I must admit...I don't know anything about them besides they are some kind of mushroom. Is there a certain way you prepare them to eat, or certain dishes that you add them to?
They’re seasonal Rick. That’s why people tend to post in clusters. Only around for a few weeks a year in the springtime, and can fetch as much as $100+ per pound! Also many ways to prepare them. The most common, and my preferred method, is to soak them in salt water for a bit(seasons them, and kills any unseen buggies), and then just sauté them in some butter. Some people batter and fry them. I like to serve mine with steak, or on a burger. They also have a sweet, nutty aroma when cooking them. One of my fav smells on the planet.
Still haven't found one in our woods, but any day now! Rick, morels tend to come back in the same spots each year, so every hunter has their trusted places they check first - and we keep them secret! ;) I love eating morels - sauteed in butter and served on steak is amazing, PStone! I also love them in omelets. But I love hunting for them even more than I love eating them. It's basically like a treasure hunt in the forest, and so much fun for adults and kids. Great excuse to be in the woods during a beautiful time of year when the trees are flowering and the underbrush is still thin. I just love it! We also hunt for Pheasant Back mushrooms this time of year, which are very different, but also quite tasty.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

PStone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:50 am
Omg! I cannot wait for our morel season to start here in IL. It is hands down my favorite thing to do. Been rough the last two years where I am, but this year is off to good start weather wise. I still have about two more weeks until they start popping up. As soon as I see some dandelions, I’m going out hunting. Here’s a pic from a decent day last year:

My mouth is watering!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

My day just got a lot brighter.

- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Well, I guess this weekend I may go take a walk in the woods on the outskirts of my neighborhood and see if I can find any of these things!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Had to order a new TV, my other one (2 years old) is already starting to have problems. :rolleyes:

It was being used 24/7 for the past 2 years though, until lately were I can shut it off at night.

Suprising to me as they normally last longer than this. Still have an older LCD that is over 10 years old and still fine.

It's starting to go though so... :rolleyes:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Rick, it might be a little early in your area. You probably have at least a month to go.

Sometimes all you see is the shroom lifting the leaf litter up. If you see that move the leaves and investigate.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 am
My day just got a lot brighter.

[ig] https://i.imgur.com/gLlW5ds.jpg [mg]
Nice find! Not too much longer before they start popping up here in New England. I've found a number of edible mushrooms on my property like chicken of the woods, maitake, pheasant back, and what I thought were honey mushrooms but haven't seen any Morels yet. I have my doubts that I ever will, I've covered the property fairly extensively over the years and have never come across any.
-Nick :bug-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:20 am
Had to order a new TV, my other one (2 years old) is already starting to have problems. :rolleyes:

It was being used 24/7 for the past 2 years though, until lately were I can shut it off at night.

Suprising to me as they normally last longer than this. Still have an older LCD that is over 10 years old and still fine.

My wife's 12 year old plasma that I bought her way back when is still going strong! A Visio. I hear people all the time say visios break more than any other TV, yet hers, and mine I bought refurbished not long after hers, have been great. We recently bought 2 Sceptre tvs, a 1080 50" for 200, and a 4k 50" for 190...great so far. Only got the 4k because of how cheap it was! Now her old TV is a monitor for her computer, like my TV is a monitor for mine! Haha!

My first lcd was a Samsung. It lasted maybe 3 years. So I tend to shy away from Uber expensive tvs. Or wait for the new models to start coming out, then snag an older one for spare change.

The cheaper ones may not have all the bells and whistles the expensive ones do, but they work fine for me. I am still perfectly happy with dvds... Although usually buy blurays because you can't avoid it with the dvd/bluray combo packs.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:45 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:20 am

My wife's 12 year old plasma that I bought her way back when is still going strong! A Visio. I hear people all the time say visios break more than any other TV, yet hers, and mine I bought refurbished not long after hers, have been great. We recently bought 2 Sceptre tvs, a 1080 50" for 200, and a 4k 50" for 190...great so far. Only got the 4k because of how cheap it was! Now her old TV is a monitor for her computer, like my TV is a monitor for mine! Haha!

My first lcd was a Samsung. It lasted maybe 3 years. So I tend to shy away from Uber expensive tvs. Or wait for the new models to start coming out, then snag an older one for spare change.

The cheaper ones may not have all the bells and whistles the expensive ones do, but they work fine for me. I am still perfectly happy with dvds... Although usually buy blurays because you can't avoid it with the dvd/bluray combo packs.

I do have an older Plasma 50" in storage.

The Samsung LED 55" is going bad for sure, have a new model coming to replace it.

I think it was just bad luck on my part...

I have had good luck in the past other than outside issues cooking the TV's.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:32 am
Well, I guess this weekend I may go take a walk in the woods on the outskirts of my neighborhood and see if I can find any of these things!
I agree with Darby, it's probably a few weeks early in the northeast. I'm in Missouri. But it never hurts to check, especially if it's been warm and wet in your area. The way I was taught, look first in areas that stay moist like around creek beds or around runoff ravines btw hills. But they'll grow in any sun-dappled section of woods, especially deciduous forests with Ash trees. Under leaves and ivy, too.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I may go poke around anyways, just to get away from this ever growing hunny do list! Thanks for the tips though everyone. We love mushrooms with our steaks too, as well as a chicken with cream of mushroom, rice, mushrooms dish...would be fun to substitute baby bella's with something different if possible.

-Rick
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I do love mushrooms! I wish I had some.

How am I doing? It’s a secret.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:39 pm
Lilly is good at speaking English. Love her videos! I follow a few preppers, survivalists, and knife affis on YouTube.

Lilly was the first person to wear a respirator in public that I know of in my channels, and she gave me the guts to do it. It's pretty embarrassing at first but I just kept in mind that Lilly did it, and I was fine.

It's funny that peer pressure to NOT wear a mask is so powerful. This is a life or death decision for some folks. She is a champion leading the way for everyone else!
Hi Naperville,

I just wanted to make clear: It was in no way my intention to mock Liliys Austrian accent, but rather mine/our Austrian (as fellow Austrians) accent that we probably share more or less with Arnold Schwarzenegger... ;)

Actually Lilly is more fluent in English than I am!!

What´s also cool about this Austrian woman: Well, just that there are really not that many women who run successfull prepper/survival channels, but she does! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 am
Hi Naperville,

I just wanted to make clear: It was in no way my intention to mock Liliys Austrian accent, but rather mine/our Austrian (as fellow Austrians) accent that we probably share more or less with Arnold Schwarzenegger... ;)

Actually Lilly is more fluent in English than I am!!

What´s also cool about this Austrian woman: Well, just that there are really not that many women who run successfull prepper/survival channels, but she does! :)
NO, I did not take it that way.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Feeling a little bummed today. My wife and I have been together for 7 years, my stepdaughter is 8. I'm an only child and was always on the wild side in my single years. I was single for around 3 years before we met, so naturally when we did and she had a 1 year old, I settled it down pretty quickly because I had a good feeling about this one right from the start!

We dated for 3 months and then the first holiday her and her daughter spent with me and my parents was Easter. My mom treated them like her own daughter and grand daughter right from the start. Easter is very sentimental to both my wife and mother. My wife was talking about it just last night, how great of a feeling that first Easter was and it's her favorite holiday as a family at my parents house.

I was talking to my mom this morning and she was saying some of the same things and how she so badly misses us and just wants and wants to get hugs and kisses and I could tell she was starting to cry.

Man, mom got me right in the feels this morning while I'm work. Hate seeing my main ladies feeling this way, because obviously there won't be a family dinner this year :(

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My boredom got the best of me and I decided to split some old pine stumps from a tree we cut down 4 years ago. Omg pine is tough. Plus I couldn't find my sledge to help it along. Got my heart rate up and worked some muscles that's for sure.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Went to the store early this morning, food...

A lot of people wearing masks and the store was cleaning the carts as they were used etc.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:00 am
Went to the store early this morning, food...

A lot of people wearing masks and the store was cleaning the carts as they were used etc.
That’s what they’re doing in the stores here, too. Right now, most people I see are wearing masks or scarves over their noses and mouths, because it’s the recommendation. I wear one of the basic blue paper masks I bought a while ago for gardening. It won’t stop the virus, but it’s a face covering to potentially protect others. I also wear vinyl gloves when I shop.

Oh, yeah, another store policy now is you can’t bring your own shopping bags in anymore, so you have to keep your bags in the car and bag your groceries in the parking lot.

But that’s OK. You simply make adjustments.

Jim