Leatherman Raptor scissors - overpriced, or worth the price?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
archangel

Leatherman Raptor scissors - overpriced, or worth the price?

Post by archangel »

I'm thinking about getting a pair. Scissors can be very useful in every day situations, which is why I carry a ClipiTool as one of the two to three Spydies outside home, for which they are ok (to cut open or through packaging/ribbons and stuff). But in an emergency you need something else. I have no doubt the Raptor scissors are super in that case. But they are far from being cheap, too.

Who owns some, and who even got to benefit from carrying them? Sell'em to me! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
wrdwrght

Re: Leatherman Raptor scissors - overpriced, or worth the price?

Post by wrdwrght »

Just got the Raptor to round out my Go-Bag’s first-aid kit (which, having become rather sophisticated, now doubles as my home’s trauma kit).

Could simple shears have sufficed? Yup! But I’m a sucker for well-designed and superbly-executed multitools, and the Raptor is surely one.

In truth, however, the thing is overkill for the role I’ve given it.

It ought to be on the belt of every first responder, given the glass-breaking and seatbelt-slicing functions it can perform in addition to cutting away clothing to access a wound, or cutting bandages to size.

If you were to EDC the Raptor or keep it in your car, its cost would be as acceptable as the specialized Spyderco Assist, which I prefer in a non-medical situation.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own them. They're definitely nice, but plain old shears would work too.

I bought them to test for our emergency kits at work, and eventually just went with (much cheaper) shears for the kits (rather than buy 6 of the Raptors).
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's obvious (at least to me) that they were designed for the purpose of being carried either A) clipped to your clothing or B) to equipment you carry, allowing you to access them within seconds rather than having to dig them up first from inside a bag or so. Regular shears can't compete here, or can they? Maybe there's another product by a different manufacturer that I just don't know?

Yes, I'm no first responder, I have no professional need. Question is: what if...?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

archangel wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:11 am
It's obvious (at least to me) that they were designed for the purpose of being carried either A) clipped to your clothing or B) to equipment you carry, allowing you to access them within seconds rather than having to dig them up first from inside a bag or so.
We carry them inside drop leg emergency kits, so that functionality isn't useful in my application. In general, the first thing I do when dealing with an injury is open the kit (it's clamshell type opening) completely and lay it down so I have immediate access to everything inside.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I've gifted a few of them to folks...my 2 God-daughters, 1 is a paramedic and the other is an air-ambulance nurse as well as a couple to buddies who are US Navy Corpsmen. They all speak very highly of them and carry them daily. I myself just keep several sets of good quality EMT shears for my EDC bag and various first aid kits that I keep in vehicles and spots around the farm.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i keep them in my backpack with my first aid kit because i definitely don’t need instant access. i actually chose shears over getting something like the assist, which is what i wanted at first. if i was in a more dangerous environment, i’d probably carry it on my body, but there’s no need right now for that. so, realistically, a regular pair of shears can be had super cheap and would be just fine since they are just in my bag anyway.

i agree with other posts about being a sucker for a good design though. i think they’re cool and like that they have multiple functions. i think they’re definitely worth buying, especially if you find them on sale like my friend did last week for less than $35, but they aren’t really necessary. i’ve bought them as gifts for people too when i’ve found them on sale. it’s kind of a cool thing to have that most people don’t give much thought. in an emergency where i need to cut around another person, i’d much rather have the raptor in my hand than any sheepsfoot blade though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C

Post by 013 »

I always wanted to try the raptors, but the price has kept me away. I've been using countycomm's trauma shears for about 8 years & they work great. They're pretty affordable & they have three different sizes. (Also GITD)
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
archangel

Post by archangel »

The price really is high. But, once you hold them in your hands... I will carry mine on family trips, once we're out of COVID19 madness. It's good to be able to cut through clothing if need be, and I have no doubt the Raptor can do that.
Michael
SaltySalt

Post by SaltySalt »

I don't like Raptors: they are bulky, heavy, rust easily and expensive. They're for professional use (we are issued these at work).
Any 5$ shears will get the job done, especially then still new and sharp (not used often).
I use at EMT work my own RipShears, very happy.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why not buy the similar scissors issued to Army medics?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

013 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 am
I always wanted to try the raptors, but the price has kept me away. I've been using countycomm's trauma shears for about 8 years & they work great. They're pretty affordable & they have three different sizes. (Also GITD)
013, you win the award for creepiest avatar. I nearly struck my laptop's display.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.

Post by 013 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:43 pm
013 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 am
013, you win the award for creepiest avatar. I nearly struck my laptop's display.
Thank you.
I would like to thank Sal & crew for making this all possible.
I would also like to thank all the forum members for their unwavering support and acceptance into the family.
😁
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

every once in a while, they go on sale at random places. i have a friend that just recently picked some up for around $35. i got mine for about $45 and bought two more to give as gifts. i think they’re great. never used them in an emergency yet, but they ride in my backpack with my first aid kit.
favorite use: they make quick work of blister packaging. you know the stuff that’s really think and you know your knife is going to slip and end up in an artery? that stuff. it’s so satisfying to annihilate it with the raptor.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I carry the Leatherman Raptor at work—I pull double-duty as a Level 2 OFA alongside my usual job at the warehouse where I work—so I have a few years of experience using them in a professional capacity.

As a pair of medical shears, it is far and away more robust than the cheap shears that were originally issued to me. It's very good at cutting through thick fabrics and even thin panels of plastic and wood—I've used it to fashion expedient finger splints from tongue depressors.

A feature that doesn't get talked about enough is the ring-cutter. Hand and finger injuries are some of the most common cases I deal with and that ring-cutter is a game-changer for me. Much safer to use on the patient than, say, diagonal pliers. I'd go so far as to say that this is the one feature that keeps the Raptor in my kit—I would have long replaced it with a lighter and less bulky pair of quality trauma shears otherwise.

As for the other features, I don't find them super-essential. The ruler is very handy for documenting injuries when writing reports, but I imagine it isn't something your average person will regularly use. I don't think I've ever used the glass breaker or the strap cutter. I've used the oxygen tank wrench only once when I had to use an older oxygen tank (newer tanks have handles affixed to the valve).

The Raptor is quite bulky and heavy compared to other medical/trauma shears, and I tend to carry it in its holster, clipped to my toolbelt.

All in all, unless you have a definite need for one of its extra features (like I do for the ring-cutter), I wouldn't really recommend it over a quality pair of simple medical/trauma shears.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks ladybug93 and zuludelta for your posts and experiences!
Michael
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

after posting here, i ordered a pair of regular trauma shears and got them in the mail today. they seem strong and reliable, but i really think they are so much less versatile than the raptor. they’re less bulky and way cheaper, but i’d rather have the raptor.
current collection:
spyderco steels: