First symptom of corona virus

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

First symptom of corona virus

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Re: First symptom of corona virus

Post by ChrisinHove »

Considering the likelihood and extent of otherwise symptom free infections, and dearth of tests, this could be vital information.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Since there is some overlap between sense of smell and taste, both should be assessed. It is possible to affect both of these senses with an ordinary viral infection as well. Fever, exposure to exposed or positive people, or travel to endemic areas are still the first three symptoms on my ask list.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Stew (member here) is coming out of it & says he lost neither, just a metallic taste. Apparently some people lose both taste and smell completely as part of their symptoms.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, this is a verified indication. We should spread this around.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

In the news today:

“Should loss of smell and taste be added to the key symptoms to watch out for?

Experts say there's not enough evidence yet.
Public Health England and the World Health Organization have not added them to the list.

ENT UK, the body that represents Ear, Nose and Throat doctors, says it is not surprising that some patients with coronavirus might report these as symptoms, but they are not specific to Covid-19.
The King's researchers say loss of smell and taste might be useful extra symptoms to watch for, perhaps not on their own but alongside other important ones like cough and fever.

Lead researcher Prof Tim Spector said: "When combined with other symptoms, people with loss of smell and taste appear to be three times more likely to have contracted Covid-19 according to our data, and should therefore self-isolate for seven days to reduce the spread of the disease."
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

When I got it, my smell went strange but didn't disappear. My taste went weird - like how Stew's did above - metallic taste. It was like a hard flu mixed with a sinus infection with a nasty cough. The worst part was about a week into the illnesss the old stones started to ache like I was 13 again. I also had a significant ache in my brainstem. I'm telling you, I knew it wasn't flu when my stones started hurting. The other key indicator was that my dogs also got it. They had gastrointestinal issues, and a dry hoarse cough/wheeze. We think our python got it too, as she has some respiratory issues and vomited up her monthly rat for the first time in years.

It took the dogs about 3 days to clear symptoms. It took me about three weeks. It took the wife about 2.5 weeks. We're hoping our snake lives, but it's not promising.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

No work has equalled a little bit less frequent showers. Since I can tell I need one, I guess I'm okay for now.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I dunno, typically if you catch the common cold and are stuffed up you tend to lose your sense of taste and smell due to congestion.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

There might nit be congestion right away, just a change in the ability to smell.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

My nephew and his wife tested positive and are on the upswing. They got sick around 12th of March, both lost smell and taste but it's slowly returning.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049