Please educate me on Flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Please educate me on Flashlights

Post by ChrisinHove »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:05 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 pm
Aren’t Surefire shock resistant for weapon mounting?

I do like the P60 format. It seems much less popular now, but the Lego-ability of the format giving me the option of top drawer LED drop-ins and batteries in budget but robust bodies has been an absolute winner for me.

Having said that, my latest is a soda can style, 12 LED 4x18650 Eagtac so I can light up whole rooms (and elevations!) for survey photographs. It’s a beast.
Some of them were shock resistant back in the high pressure incandescent bulb days. With LEDs it's a matter of potting the electronics rather than shock isolating the bulb. I've not seen Surefire advertising potted electronics, but Malkoff and some other more boutique brands do.

I like the P60 Lego capability too, but the design is showing its age. The P60 bodies were designed to isolate heat, and let the high pressure bulbs stay hot, which they like. Those bodies aren't good at carrying heat away from the light module, which LEDs need. I'm still rocking a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff drop-in, and I have an EagleTac SporTac drop-in on the way for it.
I been using a Sportac 2 mode triple for a while now in a Solarforce host. Excellent.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I still like Surefire because I like to support "Made In The U.S.A." companies. Also Surefire has dependability like few others I've used over the years. I had a couple of Fenix models at one time but they just weren't as durable as Surefire. Also Surefire's customer service is very similar to Spyderco's incredible customer service. They have been incredibly good to me over the years. Oh they are pricey but they are not a "Throw Away Item" at all. I've got one of Surefire's E2D Defender models that I've had for 8 years and it's still an awesome illumination tool.

The Cheaper flashlights I've heard consistently good stuff about are Fenix, Four Sevens and the LED Maglites. Most all of them are LED as of late. I also recommend to get a unit with rechargeable batteries. All of my Surefire models run off of "123 A" batteries and they are small and compact and recharge quickly. I've gotten all my rechargeable batteries and chargers from Surefire because I also find their accessories to be high quality as well.

Yeah I sound a little biased but it's just like when I made Spyderco my favorite knife company>> quality just wins out everytime with me especially when the companies have great customer service.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 pm
I still like Surefire because I like to support "Made In The U.S.A." companies. Also Surefire has dependability like few others I've used over the years. I had a couple of Fenix models at one time but they just weren't as durable as Surefire. Also Surefire's customer service is very similar to Spyderco's incredible customer service. They have been incredibly good to me over the years. Oh they are pricey but they are not a "Throw Away Item" at all. I've got one of Surefire's E2D Defender models that I've had for 8 years and it's still an awesome illumination tool.

The Cheaper flashlights I've heard consistently good stuff about are Fenix, Four Sevens and the LED Maglites. Most all of them are LED as of late. I also recommend to get a unit with rechargeable batteries. All of my Surefire models run off of "123 A" batteries and they are small and compact and recharge quickly. I've gotten all my rechargeable batteries and chargers from Surefire because I also find their accessories to be high quality as well.

Yeah I sound a little biased but it's just like when I made Spyderco my favorite knife company>> quality just wins out everytime with me especially when the companies have great customer service.
Suerfire doesn't make their own batteries and chargers. Surefire lost my business when everyone else in the industry blew right past them with single 18650 battery support. Surefire resisted rechargeables for years because they didn't want to cut into selling the SF branded Panasonic CR123A batteries. They still offer very few lights with 18650 compatibility. The batteries you have are voltage limited LiFePo chemistry which has limited capacity. When Surefire decides to quit resting on their laurels and optimize their entire lineup for standard 3.6 volt rechargeable lithium batteries, rather than ripping customers off, I'll pay attention to them again. The C2 I have was picked up in trade. It had been bored out to handle the wider 18650 battery, and cerakoted a color that I really liked. As long as there are P60 drop-ins that light can stay up to date.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Suerfire doesn't make their own batteries and chargers. Surefire lost my business when everyone else in the industry blew right past them with single 18650 battery support. Surefire resisted rechargeables for years because they didn't want to cut into selling the SF branded Panasonic CR123A batteries. They still offer very few lights with 18650 compatibility. The batteries you have are voltage limited LiFePo chemistry which has limited capacity. When Surefire decides to quit resting on their laurels and optimize their entire lineup for standard 3.6 volt rechargeable lithium batteries, rather than ripping customers off, I'll pay attention to them again. The C2 I have was picked up in trade. It had been bored out to handle the wider 18650 battery, and cerakoted a color that I really liked. As long as there are P60 drop-ins that light can stay up to date.

123A or 18650 doesn't matter all that much in the smaller pocket sized lights...

Especally when using rechargeables.

My SF's use 123A's and my Streamlight PROTAC HL5-X uses 2x 18650's, but that's not pocket size so...

I also have the rechargeable 123A's along with a good supply of the SF 123A's..

They are just flashlights in the end, as long as they do the job and last and or can take a beating if they have to all is good.

Other than that it's not a big deal or anything to geek out on IMO..

There are much more interesting and much more complex things to think about than a flashlight.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

123A or 18650 doesn't matter all that much in the smaller pocket sized lights...

My SF's use 123A's and my Streamlight PROTAC HL5-X uses 2x 18650's, but that's not pocket size so...

They are just flashlights in the end, as long as they do the job and last and or can take a beating if they have to all is good.

There are much more interesting and much more complex things to worry about than a flashlight.
Then why don't you see yourself out of this thread and let those of with experience with a wide variety of lights help the OP? Surefire is great if you're Military or LE, need a light to compliment your carry handgun, or otherwise need a duty type flashlight. For general flashlight stuff, they suck. For some applications, quality of light emitted, lower modes that won't blind you, and the ability to use the light hands free are much more important than being able to kick the light down a flight of concrete stairs while you're chasing some teenager through the parking garage where you're the mall cop.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:11 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

There are much more interesting and much more complex things to worry about than a flashlight.
Then why don't you see yourself out of this thread and let those of with experience with a wide variety of lights help the OP? Surefire is great if you're Military or LE, need a light to compliment your carry handgun, or otherwise need a duty type flashlight. For general flashlight stuff, they suck. For some applications, quality of light emitted, lower modes that won't blind you, and the ability to use the light hands free are much more important than being able to kick the light down a flight of concrete stairs while you're chasing some teenager through the parking garage where you're the mall cop.

SF's can be used hands free without any problem so... ;)

At least the ones I have can anyway.

General flashlight stuff is what exactly?

Must be some special new kinda of general flashlight stuff that is somehow different than it was for the past 60+ years. ROFL

I have been using flashlights for the better part of 50 years....

So what's your point?

Flashlights are not a new invention, they have been around for a very long time.

Someone might need to see something if it's too dark so they turn on the flashlight, it's not complicated. That's what I do anyway, same as I have for the better part of 50 years. Pretty simple and straight forward to turn on a flashlight if it's too dark. I mean I don't even have to think about it or get out the slide rule to figure out how to do it.

Or use a lighter if they don't have one.

Kinda like if the room is dark and you flip the light switch to turn on the lights...
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:

I think so too. :)

Like Spyderco, CRK, Randall etc. quality.

No real need to over think the simple things IMO.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

cbrstar wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 am
My friend showed me his little Olight i1r 2 and I was blown away. I couldn't believe something so small could be so bright, run for so long, and was rechargeable! Not only that it was cheap to buy. I had to have one.

Well I ended up buying a Olight S2r Baton 2 instead as Amazon was having a flash sale for $60 cdn and I love it. Perfect size, and the moonlight mode runs for a insanely long 60 days. It's so awesome that I ended up also buying the St Patrick's day limited M2R Pro and i1r2 pack. ($110 cdn)

But here is the kicker. I was was in my local Canadian Tire, and they had a Tzumi Alpha "rechargeable/cell phone charger" 200 lumens on clearance for only $12 cdn. I bought it with the idea to give to my Dad so that he at least has a rechargeable flashlight.

I tested out the Alpha against my M2R Pro tonight. Now don't get me wrong the fit and finish of the Alpha is poor, the run time isn't nearly as good etc. But it was actually lighting up my yard really good! And it was throwing the light just about as far as the MR2 that has the 1800 lumens!. I was really shocked.

Tl:Dr. I read not to get caught up in lumens, so what are other qualities that you should look for in the quality of brightness etc. Does the type of bulb matter?

Thanks guys!
Just buy a Suerfire or a Streamlight. Everything else sucks, and if anyone disagrees Ankerson will drag this thread into a thread about how Surefire is the greatest flashlight ever and all other brands crumble to dust at the mention of the name Surefire, just like he did in the last flashlights thread we had. Forget learning about things like tint, color temp, CRI, UI, and various battery types. You don't need to know about any of that. Just get an effing Surefire.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve never handled a SF so cannot comment.

All I can say is that - for me - after 3 decades of daily inspections of very dark places, LEDs then 18650 cells were the game changers.

I can understand why integral charging is increasingly popular, now, but stupidly complex UI’s and constant drain switches are a real turn off.

Having said all that, I do enjoy flashlights at home and walking/camping that I wouldn’t tolerate for work (just the same as knives).
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I generally carry an Olight S1R Baton for the convenience, but I really like the high CRI light, materials and design of my Peak LED Solutions copper Eiger.

I have another Peak on my shortlist to get eventually - probably a Logan or El Capitan.

Any other Peak LED Solutions fans here?

https://www.peakledsolutions.net
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 am
I’ve never handled a SF so cannot comment.

All I can say is that - for me - after 3 decades of daily inspections of very dark places, LEDs then 18650 cells were the game changers.

I can understand why integral charging is increasingly popular, now, but stupidly complex UI’s and constant drain switches are a real turn off.

Having said all that, I do enjoy flashlights at home and walking/camping that I wouldn’t tolerate for work (just the same as knives).

The LEDS are great compared to what the old lights were like, large difference.

They have come a very long way haven't they? :D

Remember those silver ones with the red tops from long ago that everyone seemed to have with that slide switch. LOL

Had to shake them or beat on them to get them to work half the time.

I do think that some things have crossed the line into gadget/fiddle toys however so I agree.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have been looking at a Mechforce EDC light. Is it worth the nearly $200 price tag??
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't know Mechforce at all, but I have a high price tag flashlight (this one: https://darksucks.com/collections/alpha-flashlights) and I've been extremely happy with it. I'd say it was worth the price tag for me. That Mechforce light looks like it's packing a lot of nice features (although how much would you spend to fill all this tritium vial slots?), and if I was in the market for another high end flashlight I'd definitely be looking at that one.

As an aside, I have been EDCing the Surefire Stiletto that ripped off the Spyderco clip for a month or so now, and I really like the form factor (and the clip) but I find the placement of the clip relative to the controls annoying, and because of my carry location (clipped to a cargo pocket) I very frequently (maybe 5 or 6 times most days) find that the light is turning itself on in my pocket. The activations with tends to move inward against things in my regular pocket (behind it) and get turned on. The clip really needs to be 4-way so users can move it around to fix things like this.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

IMO the best EDC/general purpose 18650 flashlight on the market right now is the Lumintop FW3A. It has 2800 lumen turbo (with Cree cold white), runs Anduril, and is available in a range of anodized aluminum colors as well as Ti, Cu and SS bodies. The FW3A has a number of customization options, including choices of LEDs, optics and short tubes for smaller cell types.

The Emisar D4 line has similar attributes to the FW3A, but the FW3A wins for me because it has a metal tail switch instead of a silicone side switch, and has a more slender form factor with a good pocket clip.

The FW3A is on sale on Amazon right now for $43, and includes a genuine Samsung 35E 3500mAh cell.

willc

Post by willc »

51931C7D-69A6-4318-8BC5-649A98C8718F.jpeg
The Emisar D4 V2 is probably my most carried light at the moment.
I really like how much power it has for such a small light.

I also have a Emisar D1S that is a nice compact thrower and if I need something bigger I go with my Astrolux FT03.
Really these are more light than I normally ever need but they are fun.

Not too long ago I thought my 3D cell Maglite was the ultimate but now the newer leds and lithium ion batteries have given us some awesome new lights.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

willc wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 pm
Not too long ago I thought my 3D cell Maglite was the ultimate but now the newer leds and lithium ion batteries have given us some awesome new lights.
I still have my 3D cell Maglite. When I first got it years ago I was amazed by how bright it was. Now it doesn't even come close to the tiny little lights I have. Only reason I kept it in my car was in case I need to whack someone with it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

jdw wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:30 am
I have been looking at a Mechforce EDC light. Is it worth the nearly $200 price tag??
ZeroAir seems to think so. He says they compare to much more expensive lights - https://zeroair.org/2019/01/04/mechforc ... ht-review/.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 pm
willc wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 pm
I still have my 3D cell Maglite. When I first got it years ago I was amazed by how bright it was. Now it doesn't even come close to the tiny little lights I have. Only reason I kept it in my car was in case I need to whack someone with it.

Even the newer LED Maglites are only 625 Lumens so a lot of the newer EDC size lights are brighter than that.

That's not even getting into the full sized lights.. At 3,500 Lumens or so for the better ones they are very bright.

But that's not to say they are useless however, they still do the same thing they did all along.

They are still good enough for most people who want a full sized light.

And D-Cells are avaiable just about everywhere, could be a good thing in an emergency.

So it's not a bad thing to have a few D-Cell lights around.