Dealing With Panic here in the USA?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Dealing With Panic here in the USA?

Post by Ankerson »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:12 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:29 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:15 pm
Jim I heard on Shortwave radio last night that China is claiming that the worst of the epidemic is pretty much over for them. If that is accurate then this panic should subside very soon. When the real percentages and real numbers finally come out I think most people are going to be amazed at how government and society over-reacted for the most part.

From what we hear here in Europe that is true. China did not have a single new infection for days now (just some people who have the Virus and came back to China from abroad).
They say though this was only possible by imposing massive lock downs and so on... who knows, I just can tell what I read and hear..

It does not seem too bad except in Italy and now also in Spain. In the North of Italy (being a neighbour country to mine) they really do struggle and it is quite a tragedy,

China had 45 new cases yesterday from what they reported...

There are still new cases in China everyday...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:14 pm
My best guess is that even if this lasts 18+ months, the panic will be over in 3 months. People may not be going back to work anytime soon, but hoarding will probably stop.
Oh the "hoarding" will stop all right>> because this morning when I went into that Hy Vee Grocery store this morning in Blue Springs, MO USA EArth people were buying stuff and spending money like "Out of Control Drunken Sailors" :eek: I could tell by everything I saw in people's grocery carts that they were hoarding for sure. I'm sure a lot of the food will go wasted. At some point we'll see looting and out of control panic set in on a worse level that it is now unless someone in power will take a Pro-active leadership role and try to calm people down for GOD's sake.
In a way I actually felt sorry for many of the people I seen early this morning at the local grocery store. Because if something really horrific happens I don't think very many people will handle it like mature adults. I bet many people's credit cards are already maxed out since the Virus Panic has set in.
Most of this panic that is going on here in this area is without a doubt generated by the MainStream News Media>> who ought to be completely ashamed of themselves for causing all this potential mayhem and worry.
I truly think most of this hoarding and paranoia is baseless and within a couple of weeks most everything will calm down.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

And China just reported another 39 new cases today so far.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:36 pm
Thanks for the update Ankerson. But do keep in mind that a lot of these numbers that are being thrown at us don't necessarily reflect the true scenario of what is really going down. During all of this media-generated panic I would like to know many of the real numbers and how they stack up against the actual numbers of deaths and severe illnesses. And compare them to vehicle fatalities and deaths from many other causes as well.

My late dad always used to say "Bad News Sells A Lot of Newspapers". And somehow I believe that all of this "bad news" is being over done and people need to just relax and think with a clear head.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:15 pm
From what we hear here in Europe that is true. China did not have a single new infection for days now (just some people who have the Virus and came back to China from abroad).
They say though this was only possible by imposing massive lock downs and so on... who knows, I just can tell what I read and hear..

Right, but as said: Seemingly those cases are all Chinese who came home from abroad and no one was infected inside China no more.
But that is just what I read in the news, could be true or totally not, I can't tell...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:41 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:36 pm
Thanks for the update Ankerson. But do keep in mind that a lot of these numbers that are being thrown at us don't necessarily reflect the true scenario of what is really going down. During all of this media-generated panic I would like to know many of the real numbers and how they stack up against the actual numbers of deaths and severe illnesses. And compare them to vehicle fatalities and deaths from many other causes as well.

My late dad always used to say "Bad News Sells A Lot of Newspapers". And somehow I believe that all of this "bad news" is being over done and people need to just relax and think with a clear head.
I know, never believed any numbers from China.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:55 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Right, but as said: Seemingly those cases are all Chinese who came home from abroad and no one was infected inside China no more.
But that is just what I read in the news, could be true or totally not, I can't tell...

Highly doubtful....
SG89

Post by SG89 »

One of the main issues is not enough icu beds, respirators and ventilators ... Not to mention you have all the "expected" illnesses like flu to deal with... It's not that covid19 is worse than the flu necessarily its that now you are asking the health care system to deal with everything they already deal with plus a new illness that not enough is known about that's also zapping all your resources...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Highly doubtful....
I guess so too... but since China obviously is able to close their makeshift hospitals and send masks, respirators (and even doctors) to Italy to help them out there, they must have it under control the one way or the other.

But if it is 100% true what China (or any state) tells - I can´t know.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am curious what the hindsight will be? Will we feel that crashing the global economy was worth it? Will we learn that we panicked and didn’t need too? Will we feel that we were the best versions of ourselves through this as we look back?

Hopefully we will know soon! :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:56 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Highly doubtful....
I guess so too... but since China obviously is able to close their makeshift hospitals and send masks, respirators (and even doctors) to Italy to help them out there, they must have it under control the one way or the other.

But if it is 100% true what China (or any state) tells - I can´t know.

I think most of it is propaganda, typical of Communist Governments and their struggle to maintain control.

I wouldn't believe much of anything they say.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would have more faith in any progress reports coming out of other highly-affected countries, like South Korea, than from China.

Jim
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
The decision we made with the previous thread was not due to ignorance. Our forum, even the Off-Topic area has rules and expectations. This forum also should be a place where people can come to escape the chaos, misinformation, and fear-mongering. Sal and I have discussed this, at length. There are plenty of places on the internet to have these discussions. If you want to discuss the panic, the theories, the conjecture - this is not the place for that.

Spyderco, as you've seen from various announcements, has taken a very proactive approach to this pandemic. Decisions have been made after extensive research and gathering information from relevant experts (not conjecture). We all have our own personal opinions, but just because someone has an opinion, doesn't mean it's true.

This thread is closed. And please don't assume to know what I or anyone at Spyderco think or know as it relates to this topic. This forum is still the Spyderco forum. It has a primary purpose and this isn't it.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.