So, how are you staying busy during the lockdown?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

So, how are you staying busy during the lockdown?

Post by kennethsime »

Here in the Bay Area, we've been ordered to "shelter-in-place" since Monday, and the order has since been extended to the entire state.

My girlfriend and I are lucky enough to be working from home, so there's 8 hours/day taken care of. Other than that...
  • We've been cooking a whole lot and abstaining take-out or delivery.
  • We've cleaned the house a fair bit, washed the dog, etc
  • Went on a trail run this morning, was great to get outside.
  • Bought a couple of video games for Switch on sale, that was fun.
  • Sharpened all the knives in the house.
This evening I think the cabin fever has finally started to hit. We're watching Ghost Busters, and debating between drinking the beer we have vs. risking the outside world to get better beer.

So, if you're currently on lockdown, how're you keeping busy?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SG89

Re: So, how are you staying busy during the lockdown?

Post by SG89 »

Cooking, cleaning, organizing, sharpening knives, playing outside with my son
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Not on lockdown, and work at a hospital so still working.

That said we are minimizing contact.

Finally started watching the Expanse on Amazon Prime. Also have a few series on Netflix we are watching.
Got a book to read, with another on the way.
Renewed my premium time on World of Tanks video game
Also surf my favorite online forums.

Need to come up with some sort of exercise plan though. I use the hospital gym, but it's been closed.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been volunteering to help local people and businesses that are in a bind because of this arguable epidemic>> but that's another subject for another time. Here where I'm living in Suburban Kansas City, MO USA Earth we are doing well for the most part as a town/village/city/suburb. Most all of the stores have cut their hours in half and walking around town is almost like being an actor in an old Twilight Zone episode :eek: . Normally this town has borderline insane motor vehicle traffic but today I even crossed two major highways on foot that go through town with hardly no problem at all. That's not normal.

Normally local Police ( some of them I even know) who are normally friendly>> but lately they don't wave or visit the local businesses as they normally do but are acting like they are in a horrible hurry and look like they are really going about their day totally confused with worry and fear on their faces. Again it's like I'm stuck in an early 1960's episode of the TWILIGHT ZONE.

Also I can't hardly believe how clean the air is here :)
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

No lock-down for me here. The owner of my company's not closing we're absolutely forced to. So I'm still going to work Mon-Fri. Traffic on the expressway is fairly light. So at least the commute to work and back are a little easier.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Living in NY, unfortunately the hardest hit state in the US...we pretty much can't do anything besides go to the gas station or grocery store. I totally understand it, but extremely frustrating. We're very fortunate that my wife and I are both consider essential and are working. Our county has around 450,000 people. Of those, around 3,000 have been tested so far and there are 34 confirmed infected cases.

We've been doing a lot of spring cleaning, besides window washing. Going for bike rides, walks when it's warm enough. Saturdays were normally our lunch date and doing running around while my step daughter is with her father, it's turned into another work out day for me instead with everything being closed...which I guess is a good thing! Not feeling stir crazy yet, may clean out our vehicles tomorrow if the weather is ok.

We're all in this together as a nation, the less we interact and quicker the virus dies off, the quicker we can return to normal life!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We are not on lockdown but we are trying to be responsible.

I am essential and working as usual. My wife is a teacher so she is working from home and doing the homeschooling of my son. After that is some dinner and drinks at home. That keeps us busy during the week.

We have a small homestead so most of our free time is chores around the house since spring is coming. Tilling garden beds. Trimming fruit trees. Gonna clean the chicken coop today. I ordered more spores for shiitake logs so I need to cut down a couple small trees this weekend too. Also scored some used bee hives that I need to clean up and paint before my bees are ready for pickup in mid April.

I have been doing Some target shooting and plinking in the backyard as well. Ya know, in case we turn into zombies. :)

Kind of wish it was May first so I could go turkey hunting.

Basically still just hiding in the woods. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Self isolation keeps me here at home, being of high- risk I do my best to manage with pre- existing conditions; in these instances from years of exposure to asbestos working in drydock on the first U.S. Supercarrier, (built and launched in the '50s) in Philadelphia Naval Ship Yard as a torch flame cutter and welder in the early to mid 1980s of which moderate to at- times heavier exposure has given me asbestosis, as well from years working with very antiquated commercial / residential Heating / Ventilation in the civilian world. The condition is pre- cancerous ATM; I as well have onset of COPD and a history of lung- scarring pneumonia, spending days in hospital -- the worst almost gave me a 'dirt nap'.

So I've set the scene of being quite vulnerable to anything that attacks my respiratory and immune systems.
Also my being a Senior Citizen presents its own challenges! :eek:

=====================================================================================

Back on topic:

Fortunately, my home has lots of things to keep me occupied for the 'God Knows' time frame until I am able to 're- emerge'.

I work with a nice compliment of free- weights of which I had inherited from working four years at Bally's Total Fitness; another three at 24 Hour Fitness. I keep as fit as I can. ;)

Secondarily, my house is 1/2 performance / recording studio. I play guitars / basses and percussion, (have written, performed and multi-tracked three albums to date) and this lifts my spirits as well.

What is mainly confronting me now is fatigue and at times boredom resulting in extended naps during the day, but I try to remain vertical to the best of my ability so I can sleep soundly at night.

And there you have it.

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sure seems like a good time for some contributions here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86207

All this free time we all seem to have these days!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Working. I guess I'm considered essential personnel, as I'm an electrician working for a contractor who does govt work. Wondering if they are going to postpone our next outage though, considering they've been doing that quite a bit lately.

If I do get off for a little while I'll probably catch up on some reading, games, knife maintenance, playing with my son... Some movies maybe? Yard work possibly.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Not on lock down here yet.

Thinking about going to the lake today just to get out of the house for awhile.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not on full lockdown here yet but it's shutting down a lot of entertainment/food options so not much to do. I'm still working at the moment at least until they make people stop driving.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm a borderline recluse by nature, so pretty much the same ways I stayed busy before it. Romeo gets his 4 half mile walks a day and between those I spend way too much time on the computer, cook, eat, clean the house, play tug of war with him, and watch a show or two on Netflix. I also shop if I need to and, if the weather is nice, get the SLK out for a brisk drive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As of right now I've got at least 3 to 4 months of food supply. I've got enough potable, drinking water to last me till the end of the month when I'm finally going to get a new set of water filters for my Aquarain water filtering system ( very similar to the Berkey).

I've got the internet, TV and two phones that are operational. I told very good friends here in the area to get ready and about half of them literally laughed at me :rolleyes: I now wonder how long it's going to be before a few of them are going to be knocking on my door for help :rolleyes: Oh yeah they'll be here by the end of the week I'm certain of it. Then I'm going to rub in big time :D

I'm adequately armed but hopefully not in need of it. I've got many books, magazines and two hobbies to entertain myself with. I live alone at this time but I do look for panic riden friends to eventually show up. Yeah the ones that didn't listen to me. I've been pretty much in a preparedness mode for the past 4 to 5 years and have stocked up on most of what I need. I'm just worried how many of these people who are truly going to lose it mentally and what I'm going to have to be ready for in that scenario. But I'm hanging in and I hope to be able to help others.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 am
I'm a borderline recluse by nature, so pretty much the same ways I stayed busy before it.

Yes. Double high five 🙌

I'm a family man. My free time is usually spent with the wife and kids anyway. We ride bicycles on the weekends or sit at home and irritate each other. Not much has changed for us hermits lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:30 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 am
I'm a borderline recluse by nature, so pretty much the same ways I stayed busy before it.

Yes. Double high five 🙌

I'm a family man. My free time is usually spent with the wife and kids anyway. We ride bicycles on the weekends or sit at home and irritate each other. Not much has changed for us hermits lol.
A week ago we were anti social, now we are socially responsible. The hermit’s time has finally come!

-Sent from the woods
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nothing too much out of the ordinary. Just spending more time with my wife and two dogs and also a bit more time making knives.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

This is sort of interesting, and something positive you can do at home.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/foldi ... s-covid-19

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15633/co ... -home-race
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I'm one of the compromised old people. I can't do a **** of a lot with the jumping up and down crowd, but I''m still kicking. On oxygen 24/7 and all the other many med's. Lymphoma, 6 mos chemo and 30 days of radiation kind of did in my ability to run marithons, but how many do at 77? Life is a trial and some day you will also face the enevitable. I can only wish you the best.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tore down a wall partition in the garage that the previous owners "built". I have to stay busy or I will go crazy. Swinging a hammer always gets my mind right and calms me down.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb