What makes me angry

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What makes me angry

Post by Doc Dan »

I get extremely bent out of shape over these thoughtless, narcissistic people who rush into stores and strip them bare, leaving nothing for the elderly and infirm. It’s a very great sin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Re: What makes me angry

Post by benben »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:37 am
I get extremely bent out of shape over these thoughtless, narcissistic people who rush into stores and strip them bare, leaving nothing for the elderly and infirm. It’s a very great sin.
Absolutely!! I'd like to just go to the grocery store and get the basics my family needs.........like two weeks ago!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They have "senior hours" over here that allows people over 60 to shop before the store opens to combat this
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:37 am
In my parents town (which is in nearly full lockdown now--just grocery stores and pharmacies open) the grocery stores have set up "senior hours" where only seniors are allowed to shop from 7-10am, and they re-stock separately for them. It prevents the most vulnerable population from having to contact the general population, and also prevents the younger and more aggressive from snatching up everything because they can race back their faster to grab it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am
They have "senior hours" over here that allows people over 60 to shop before the store opens to combat this
Yes, I’ve heard our area might do the same. Not a bad idea at all.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am
I heard about that, whoever came up with that is a real good person.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Hahaha.
Bud, go through a few hurricanes in Florida.
Not only do you get that but then you get looters in the aftermath... and everyone wonders why we love our guns.

I will say what gives me some faith is that after something like that, the number of people I see coming to help greatly outnumbers the number of people I see coming to hurt. (Of course a lot of those helpers are pulling a paycheck) Anyway, still like to defer to Mister Rogers, look for the helpers.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Similarly to others here.. This week our market opened Tuesday and Thursday from 7AM - 9AM exclusively for people 60 and over. Both days they re-stocked shelves just prior to opening. It was very helpful for my in-laws. I hope the market near you does something similar Doc.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It is great that stores are now doing this, but it is a great shame on our society that they have to do so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Libertarians would say that there is actually an argument to be made here for "price gouging". The knee jerk reaction is get a rope and hang'em. But hold on a New York minute.

The objective here is to prevent hoarding and get supplies to the people who need it while incentivizing manufacturers, distributors and retailers to make product available. Of course in a natural disaster when people need water, that's different. But even then a supplier can afford to give water to people without money if people with money pay up for it.

It's unrealistic to ask manufacturers to pay overtime, double overtime, triple overtime to keep producing around the clock without getting higher prices for the product. I mean the cost of most products is in providing time and place utility. Taking extra risk, working insane hours and delivering into the face of adversity deserves compensation from those who can afford it. Then it makes it possible for providers to use their discretion to help those less advantaged.

This came to me when gas stations on Galveston Island were accused of price gouging in the face of a hurricane. They took great risk to stay on the island and remain open. People only needed a few gallons to get off the island. The alternative would have been rationing. But I could be wrong. I often am.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am
Libertarians would say that there is actually an argument to be made here for "price gouging". The knee jerk reaction is get a rope and hang'em. But hold on a New York minute.

The objective here is to prevent hoarding and get supplies to the people who need it while incentivizing manufacturers, distributors and retailers to make product available. Of course in a natural disaster when people need water, that's different. But even then a supplier can afford to give water to people without money if people with money pay up for it.

It's unrealistic to ask manufacturers to pay overtime, double overtime, triple overtime to keep producing around the clock without getting higher prices for the product. I mean the cost of most products is in providing time and place utility. Taking extra risk, working insane hours and delivering into the face of adversity deserves compensation from those who can afford it. Then it makes it possible for providers to use their discretion to help those less advantaged.

This came to me when gas stations on Galveston Island were accused of price gouging in the face of a hurricane. They took great risk to stay on the island and remain open. People only needed a few gallons to get off the island. The alternative would have been rationing. But I could be wrong. I often am.

I would agree that what some would call price gouging is not always bad. At the same time, I think a distinction needs to be made between taking advantage of a need or shortage you had no hand in creating and creating a shortage, then taking advantage of it. The way I see it, gas station owners you mentioned were taking a risk to provide a needed service in a situation they had not created while the guys buying up every single bottle of hand sanitizer within driving distance of their homes created the shortage they intended to profit from. World of difference, in my eyes. But, like you, I could be wrong.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

On the brighter side of things, I heard a story about some compassion and humility today. 5 of us gathered in the street to briefly chat and have a beer this afternoon as the weather was nice. My jokester neighbor, though probably smart...brought out a tape measure to make sure we were all at least 6ft apart haha.

His daughter works at our local grocery store as a cashier. There is currently a limit of 1 gallon of milk per customer. A young man apparently tried to buy 3 gallons and she couldn't allow him to, the register doesn't allow the sale she said. He pleaded with her that he has young kids and needs the milk, even showing her his phone background with a photo.

She said there were 2 customers in line behind this guy. The lady behind him told him she would take one of the gallons, and to wait for her to be cashed out. Then the man behind her offered to do the same for the 3rd gallon! She said that made her day. He offered to give both customers money for the milk and neither one would accept it. I'm glad she shared that story with us, it was great to hear during these times!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That’s a great story. It is good to hear such things. Not everyone has lost his or her humanity.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050