Straight razor shaving

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pancake

Straight razor shaving

Post by Pancake »

Just did my 3rd shave with a razor. It's a slippery slope. It's something very different comparing to ,, normal,, shave with multi blade disposable cartridge razor and shaving foam in a tube.
You need time and patience. But man, it's so satisfying! Pre shave routine, building shaving lather ( I am not very good at it) and shave itself.

It is not for everyone, but if you are thinking about it, give it a try.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JD Spydo

Re: Straight razor shaving

Post by JD Spydo »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:00 pm
Just did my 3rd shave with a razor. It's a slippery slope. It's something very different comparing to ,, normal,, shave with multi blade disposable cartridge razor and shaving foam in a tube.
You need time and patience. But man, it's so satisfying! Pre shave routine, building shaving lather ( I am not very good at it) and shave itself.

It is not for everyone, but if you are thinking about it, give it a try.
I have a couple of straight razors myself. I was initially drawn to them because of my obsession with different types of sharpening. I had joined a forum/website that was known as www.straightrazorplace.com" From what I was told they changed their web address recently but you can still pull them up by default by using that URL.

I used to frequent the place quite often but kind of lost my enthusiasm for it. But there is a gold mine of great information about the use of straight razors and how to sharpen and maintain them on that website.

There was recently a thread over at the General Discussion part of the forum asking Sal and Spyderco to put out a Spyderco version of a straight razor. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it ever comes to pass. They are a completely different shaving tool no question about it. The one I use is a "Thiers Issard" that was made in France. I bought it through "www.garrettwade.com back in 1999 in special promotional they were running at the time. I've had two straight razor fans tell me it's a really nice piece. And Straight Razors are making a noticeable comeback in the past 2 to 3 years.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

New web address is https://sharprazorpalace.com
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I started shaving with a straight razor a few weeks ago, wish I had started sooner. I actually like to shave now.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

I uses an EJ Chatsworth DE safety Razor.. I used to shave with a straight (heck that's now me auld gaffer taught me how to shave when I was a fuzzy faced youth). I Use Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving cream, slick, and works up a great lather. My brush is a badger hair one..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

flasharry wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:03 pm
I uses an EJ Chatsworth DE safety Razor..
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I"ve worn a full beard for over 20 years now but I learned to shave with a straight and did throughout my military career. I still have 5 or 6 razors, coticle stones and strops just in case i decide to go slick faced again...(ain't happening). I've taught a few intrepid souls how but most are scared of 4in of razor sharp steel near their throat.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hey Bloke, I thought that I was going to look like that after first shave, but no cut so far :D but it is only matter of time.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:11 pm
flasharry wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:03 pm
I uses an EJ Chatsworth DE safety Razor..
Speak for yourself "BLOKEster" :D It ain't that hard to use a straight razor once you get the hang of it. Heck I nick myself worse with throw-away razors than I do with a straight razor :rolleyes:

Straight Razors are truly making a comeback here in the USA. We have a store here in KC, MO at the Country Club Plaza ( super elite shopping district) called "The Art Of Shaving" and they are selling straight razors in the $300 to $400 price range and they are doing very well sales-wise from what I'm told.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I have a full beard and shave with a straight. There is nothing like a single edge for wiping away longer whiskers. The multi blades clog up pretty quick trimming around the edges.

Go on, stick your neck out....
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

I still have my Dorko Straight... its an oldie, but its been cared for..

Other razors I have and use:
EJ Chatsworth

Gillette 50-s Slim adjustable:

1940's Tech:
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

flasharry wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:10 pm
I still have my Dorko Straight... its an oldie, but its been cared for..

Other razors I have and use:
EJ Chatsworth

Gillette 50-s Slim adjustable:
Hey thanks for the history lesson "FlashHarry :) They have all those types of shaving razors at that store I mentioned earlier i.e. "The Art Of Shaving" at the prestigious Country Club Plaza Shopping district here in KC, MO USA. But when one of the sales people at "The Art Of Shaving" told me how many high dollar straight razors they were selling weekly I was blown away.

But the manufacturers of these modern day disposable razor items have shot themselves in the foot for the most part. Which is making people look at items like straight razors which will last indefinitely if taken care of. Straight Razors aren't the only personal care tool we are going to see make a huge comeback.

I was lucky because about 3 years ago I was given a brand new, still in the clampack, Gillette Sensor Razor with about 300 replacement razor inserts. That should make me good for the next 10 years I'm certain. Especially when an old buddy of mine showed me how to resharpen those throw away inserts. I'm getting about 15 to 23 shaves with each razor insert that way and I dip them in mineral oil after each use to prevent rust and corrosion. I had one of those inserts last me about 30 shaves since learning how to strop and resharpen those razor inserts. And it's not that hard or time consuming either.

You can do the same thing to those Bic ThrowAway razors too.. People are just going to have to learn to be more resourceful in these hard economic times. Because shaving equipment ( including shave cream and after shave) is just going through the roof with the rising prices of this gear.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Price for one set of multi-blade cartrige was one of few factors that I want to try shaving with razor. Like 20 € for 5 blades?! And I go thru one blade pretty quickly (I shave like every 3 days and I really dont like any snagging while shaving). Another reason was, wet shaving is just sexy. Its one of those old school ways that give the same result as a modern way.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'm starting to figure out this straight razor shaving.
It appears proper honing, stropping, angle, direction, and pressure all play a role in getting a close, smooth, no-nick, no-tug, irritation free shave.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Again with the skyrocketing prices of these disposable razors and with these razors with disposable inserts they are going to kill their own market>> If they haven't done already as it is.

Straight razors do give an extremely close shave ( if done right) and a good unit will literally last decades. Once you buy all your tools and accessories you don't have hardly any cost at all after that. I know one guy who even makes his own coconut/olive oil soap that he uses instead of a high dollar shave cream.

I think we are going to see a complete renaissance in the shaving market within the next two to three years. I've heard recently that Boker and J.A. Henckels both have some nice straight razors. I would love to see a couple of USA knife companies come up with some decent straight Razors. A friend of my late dad had a Keen Kutter straight razor that he used from the 40s all the way till he died in the late 90s. My dad told me that he even made his own strops. Let's face it a lot of this modern day crap in the consumer markets isn't what it's cracked up to be. :(
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I agree, price for a cartridge razors is way too high. For comparison, a pack of 10 DE blades are like 1,5€, a pack of 4 Gillette Fusion is 17€!! Like what?
One good straight razor is a lifetime investment.
Even DE razor is way more economical in a long run comparing to cartridge razor. Right now I am temping to buy a DE razor . ..
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

One trap to making sure multiblade cartridges persist, is that the TSA won't let you fly with a straight or DE blade in the cabin. Plus the airlines sort of encourage a carryon anyway so paying 50 USD just to fly with a favorite lifetime razor seems less frugal.

From a green perspective you aren't throwing plastic and steel into the landfill where they won't degrade. I looked online and found 100 pack DE blades for as low as 6 pennies each. And not a bad brand either. With a little care they will last longer than you might think.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:27 pm
I agree, price for a cartridge razors is way too high. For comparison, a pack of 10 DE blades are like 1,5€, a pack of 4 Gillette Fusion is 17€!! Like what?
One good straight razor is a lifetime investment.
Even DE razor is way more economical in a long run comparing to cartridge razor. Right now I am temping to buy a DE razor . ..
The profit margin for shaving gear ( men & women) has literally exploded in the past 10 years or so. Which is why I'm leaning away from replaceable razor cartridges. The prices had to get up in the stratosphere before most people took serious notice of it. Even a high priced straight razor is making more sense than a Gilette or Schick throwaway apparatus.

Sometimes convenience is way overpriced and in many cases convenience has huge disadvantages attached to it.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

While I have exactly ZERO experience with a straight razor, but I've been using a Double Edge for many years. When I travel, I'll still bring one of those cartridge razors and a can of aerosol shaving cream. It's truly awful to go back. It's like applying paint remover to my face, and then scraping it off with a cheese grater.

Top shelf blades off Amazon are about a nickel apiece. I started with a beginner's grade handle, but eventually graduated to a very nice Japanese stainless steel handle. It gives a closer shave with less chance of abrasion. It was pricey, but will last the rest of my life. Shaving soap is another luxury. Wife was surprised when she spent thirty bucks on one bar of soap. But I explained that it's awesome and will last over six months.

Did I mention how close a good razor can shave? It's been more than once when I give someone a hug and the response is "Oooh, you have smooth skin!" I'm in my 50's, so it's the last thing I'd expect to hear. Generally, I don't have the knowledge of other men's faces, nor do I care to learn. But if someone more knowledgeable says my shaving regimen is the bomb, I'll believe it. So guys, if you don't use good shaving tools for yourself, do it for the ladies.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:48 pm

The profit margin for shaving gear ( men & women) has literally exploded in the past 10 years or so. Which is why I'm leaning away from replaceable razor cartridges. The prices had to get up in the stratosphere before most people took serious notice of it. Even a high priced straight razor is making more sense than a Gilette or Schick throwaway apparatus.

Sometimes convenience is way overpriced and in many cases convenience has huge disadvantages attached to it.
If you are thinking about DE razor, then just do it. All you need is razor, DE blades, brush and shaving cream/soap, and this whole could be obtained for like....maybe 60-70USD? You can buy quality and not so expensive products that can last a good long time. There are loads of info out there, just do a quick search.
One thing that is necessary to invest is time. You need time with every shave and you need time to learn the technique. I read on forums that guys shaved once with DE razor and then quit, because it was not that convenient then multi blade cartridge. Well guess what,when you are doing something for the first time, it is not going to be very good.
If you drive all your life automatic transmission, then first ride with manual is going to be pretty bad. But once you get the technique right, manual transmission is no worse to automatic.