NFL Season: 2020-2021

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: NFL Season: 2020-2021

Post by MacLaren »

The first Super Bowl I really remember watching was the Oakland Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles.
That's prolly why I don't remember Bill Kenney
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm 30
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:40 pm
The first Super Bowl I really remember watching was the Oakland Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles.
That would have been the 1980 Superbowl and Bill Kenney was on the Chief's Roster at that point. I vividly remember that Superbowl as well. Jim Plunket was the Raiders QB and one of my all time clutch favorites. Dick Vermeil who was coaching the Eagles at that time was sort of favored to win that one>> and Ron Jaworski was the Eagles QB. That was a very interesting Superbowl.

The Raiders came all the way from a wild card slot to win it all that year. No Bill Kinney was in the NFL in a Chief's uniform at that time. Also the Chiefs were doing so poorly during that time that they weren't getting hardly any press at all. It really wasn't until Marty Shottenheimer and Carl Peterson both turned the team around in 1988 and drafted Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith when the Chiefs got back on the radar screen. We had Steve DeBerg as QB until Peterson pulled off a miracle and got Joe Montana for the 92 & 93 seasons. The Chiefs have had respect since then.

And Bill Kenney after his career with the Chiefs became a real estate agent here in my home town of Blue Springs, MO later and was very popular in this town. It is incredible how much raw talent that Bill Kenney had. Had the Raiders or Cowboys gotten him I'm sure he would have been a household name.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm
MacLaren wrote:
That would have been the 1980 Superbowl and Bill Kenney was on the Chief's Roster at that point. I vividly remember that Superbowl as well. Jim Plunket was the Raiders QB and one of my all time clutch favorites. Dick Vermeil who was coaching the Eagles at that time was sort of favored to win that one>> and Ron Jaworski was the Eagles QB. That was a very interesting Superbowl.

The Raiders came all the way from a wild card slot to win it all that year. No Bill Kinney was in the NFL in a Chief's uniform at that time. Also the Chiefs were doing so poorly during that time that they weren't getting hardly any press at all. It really wasn't until Marty Shottenheimer and Carl Peterson both turned the team around in 1988 and drafted Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith when the Chiefs got back on the radar screen. We had Steve DeBerg as QB until Peterson pulled off a miracle and got Joe Montana for the 92 & 93 seasons. The Chiefs have had respect since then.

And Bill Kenney after his career with the Chiefs became a real estate agent here in my home town of Blue Springs, MO later and was very popular in this town. It is incredible how much raw talent that Bill Kenney had. Had the Raiders or Cowboys gotten him I'm sure he would have been a household name.
Wow. Very cool JD!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:22 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm
MacLaren wrote:

Wow. Very cool JD!
You see MAC you're overlooking some things. You seem to forget that I'm 66 going on 19 :rolleyes: and a somewhat immature 19 year old at that :D But I watched Superbowl #1 when I was 12 years old with Lenny Dawson as QB for the Chiefs and Bart Starr as QB for the legendary Green Bay Packers. The coaches were Hank Stram for the Chiefs and Vince Lombardi ( Lombardi trophy??) as coach of the Packers.
Then the Chiefs got their first Superbowl victory in January of 1970. When Lenny Dawson & Co went up against the heavily favored Minnesota Vikings and their QB was Joe Kapp.
I've truly been through the peaks and valleys of the Kansas City Chiefs team. the Chief's original owner was Lamar Hunt ( does that name ring a bell i.e. Lamar Hunt Trophy??) and they came to Kansas City from Dallas Texas of all places.

The rivalry between the Chiefs and the original Al Davis Oakland Raiders was an extremely bitter one for a long time. There was a time and it lasted quite a few years where it was truly dangerous for Raider's fans to come to KC to a game. It was also considered complete insantiy for Chief's fans to go to the Raider's home stadium for a game. I'm a kind of weird Chief's fan because I never really hated the Raiders like some Chief's fans still to this day do. It's the Broncos I've always hated :D

Even to this day Raiders and Broncos fans are not treated very well at ARROWHEAD :cool: I could add a lot more to this story but I don't want to bore my fellow Spyderco fans. But you can see that the Chief's have a much richer history than most people want to believe. Oh!! also when QB Bill Kenney was on the Roster we had another QB on that roster named Steve Fuller who was later traded to the Chicago Bears and was on the legendary 1985 Chicago Bears team and helped them when Jim McMahon was injured during that historic run. ( probably the best NFL team ever IMO). Yep Steve Fuller got a Superbowl Ring with the 85 Bears.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very cool JD!
You've have ALL the history with the Chiefs man!!
That's awesome.
Its also really cool that you've seen ALL the Super Bowls.
I'll bet you remember watchin Joe Namath shock the world, when the Jets defeated the Colts...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:22 pm
Very cool JD!
You've have ALL the history with the Chiefs man!!
That's awesome.
Its also really cool that you've seen ALL the Super Bowls.
I'll bet you remember watchin Joe Namath shock the world, when the Jets defeated the Colts...
I was a freshman in high school that year and me a couple of neighborhood buddies were hanging out that day playing basketball and we had a TV set out on the driveway watching it while we were playing all day. Most of us believed Joe Namath's prediction that he was going to pull it off. Because it was right about that time that the AFL football league was starting to garner some serious respect in both leagues at that time.

What really baffled me is that late in the game when the Colts QB Earl Morall was laying an egg and they had Johnny Unitas on the bench :confused: Well by the time the Colts got their head out of their back side the Jets with Joe Namath had already taken total control. It was still considered a huge upset because the Colts were coming in rated with the best defense in the NFL. I heard that Las Vegas lost a lot of money on that Superbowl. Because most people thought that Namath was all mouth. But he sure backed up his mouth.
It was one of the rare occasions that someone actually backed up their bragging. Namath predicted it and executed the victory as well. Namath had a running back named Emerson Boozer and they were great togeher. What was weird is when the Jets would come to Kansas City and play the Chiefs a few years after that victory the Chief's fans always applauded Namath. He was actually well liked here in Kansas City. I heard that him and Lenny Dawson were actually good pals with each other off the field. Namath did a lot of radio shows every time he came to town to play the Chiefs.

At that time Namath's victory was truly the biggest football upset I can remember during that time period. But it was only the very next year when the Chiefs beat the heavily favored Minnesota Vikings with QB Joe Kapp. Even most ardent Chief's fans I spoke to that weekend didn't give the Chiefs a prayer.

Ironically it was field goal kicker Jan Stenerud who was the actual hero of the game. It was extremely strange that for years Kansas City had two of the very best, Hall of Fame field goal kickers and they were Jan Stenerud and Nick Lowery.

Most sportscasters truly credited Jan Stenerud as the ultimate hero of Chief's victory of Superbowl IV.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Awesome! Cool story JD!
Man, I could go on and on with questions for you about past Super Bowls!
Thanx JD
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Hope everyone has a great NFL Sunday :cool: :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

just curious as to what game everyone is watching now?
In my area, I'm watching Carolina vs Tampa Bay
Then I have Jacksonville vs Tennessee
Then on CBS I have the Giants and Bears
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I get Carolina vs. Tampa Bay and Denver vs. Pittsburgh. I'm primarily watching the Carolina vs. Tampa game.
-Nick :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:29 pm
I get Carolina vs. Tampa Bay and Denver vs. Pittsburgh. I'm primarily watching the Carolina vs. Tampa game.
Cool. Was just telling the wife, that I wish we could get the Pittsburgh/Denver and Dallas/Atlanta game instead of Tennessee/Jacksonville and Chicago/New York games
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well The Chiefs game will start today at 3:25PM CDT>> so that will be at 4:25EDT for all you folks around the east coast. I'm really disappointed to see the Cowboys doing so poorly today. Maybe I was a bit premature claiming that McCarthy was going to be a good coach for the Cowboys. But on the other hand maybe he had a lot more repair work to do than I originally thought. I do think that Jason Garrett left the team in a terrible mess ( chemistry wise) for McCarthy when he took over.

Well it looks like the Bucs are going to do better than I thought. I'm still sticking with my prediction of the Chiefs winning by at least two TDs like they did with the Texans. The Chiefs since they've gotten Clyde Edwards Helaire have really gotten far more weapons to use now. I was optimistic about CEH but I will honestly admit that I didn't think he would explode this early in the season. I predict he'll have another 100 yard + game today. It should be a great afternoon :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Even though I picked Pittsburgh over Denver, I'm pulling for Denver to win this game!

Edit: Ah, well... that hope was short lived. :D
Double Edit: Very short lived... wow.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dallas!!!
Comeback for the AGES!!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DUMBEST play ever by the Falcons special teams!
Absolutely cannot believe they didn't jump on the ball!!
Spydiegirl!!!........this is CRAZY!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wow, Justin Herbert put up a very impressive first drive of his career! I missed the start of the game though, did something happen to Tyrod Taylor?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cowboys Win!! Cowboys Win!!
Dallas 40
Atlanta 39
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:34 pm
Oh man, sounds like a crazy ending! Wish I could've caught it. Brief recap of what went down?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:38 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:34 pm
Oh man, sounds like a crazy ending! Wish I could've caught it. Brief recap of what went down?
Falcons let the onside kick roll past 10 instead of jumping on it at any point... The ball was on the ground the whole time spinning they had multiple opportunities to grab it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb