NFL Season: 2020-2021

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: NFL Season: 2020-2021

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:53 pm
Steelers are planning to sign Dwayne Haskins...
I've been thinking about this acquisition that the Steelers apparently made and I'm just shocked :confused:

As regimented and orderly as that team is that just goes against all logic. They must have got him for a huge discount and there must be at least a dozen "escape clauses" in that contract. This is going to be most interesting for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:41 pm
My favorite Superbowl pairing whould be Chiefs vs. Packers.
What do you think?
That's been my favorite choice since the season began. The very first Superbowl in the 66-67 season was the Chiefs vs the Packers.

And I'm talking about the Packers team with HOFers Bart Starr QB and Head Coach Vince Lombardi. The Chiefs had HOFers Lenny Dawson QB and the legendary Hank Stram as head coach for the Chiefs. It would be so cool to see the Chiefs vs Packers II. I can only imagine all the pre-game hype and history that would lead up to the game if that were to happen. We'll know come late Sunday Night 01-24-21.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:32 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I've been thinking about this acquisition that the Steelers apparently made and I'm just shocked :confused:

As regimented and orderly as that team is that just goes against all logic. They must have got him for a huge discount and there must be at least a dozen "escape clauses" in that contract. This is going to be most interesting for sure.
That's all I can figure as well Joe :(
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:32 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

As for a discount, I am pretty sure the Steelers got a good deal. The market hasn't "settled" for backup QBs yet, so it is hard for Haskins to use comparable deals as leverage (not that he has much leverage given his antics). Plus there is plenty of upside in Haskins. Everything breaks right, you have Ben's replacement, or at least somebody to keep the team competitive until a new QB is ready. Sometimes a change of scenery helps the player reach their potential. It's only a one-year deal, and there's no such thing as a bad one-year deal.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would take Haskins over Rudolph any day
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:48 am
Really?
Not me. Rudolph is a good kid with a great attitude.
I would much rather have Rudolph to work with..
I just dont think Haskins has what it takes to lead a pro team.
I would love to be proved wrong though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Really?
I agree with you on that one MAC. And I've seen constant improvement every time I've watched Mason Rudolph play. And I still believe 100% of what he said in that disgusting Myles Garrett fiasco :mad: . Garrett lied to save face and that's all there is to it and used a potentially lethal weapon at that :mad:

But Mason Rudolph is far from being trash. I think with more experience he could do well.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MacLaren wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Really?
I think Haskins has a higher upside skills wise and that Tomlin can unlock that. Mason seems like a nice guy but I think he's pretty much reached his ceiling. I guess we will know the answer here in a few years.
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:36 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Really?
I think Haskins has a higher upside skills wise and that Tomlin can unlock that. Mason seems like a nice guy but I think he's pretty much reached his ceiling. I guess we will know the answer here in a few years.
Gosh, thats the problem, isn't it?
Ya know, if any coach can reach him, maybe its Tomlin?
I tell ya though, Mike ain't about no b.s.
Haskins better come ready to work his arse off and be a professional. Gonna be interesting for sure.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:34 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Really?
I agree with you on that one MAC. And I've seen constant improvement every time I've watched Mason Rudolph play. And I still believe 100% of what he said in that disgusting Myles Garrett fiasco :mad: . Garrett lied to save face and that's all there is to it and used a potentially lethal weapon at that :mad:

But Mason Rudolph is far from being trash. I think with more experience he could do well.
No doubt, thats Church Joe!!
No way ever did Rudolph lie about the Garrett situation!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's OFFICIAL Sir Patrick will play this Sunday!!! :cool: It may not guarantee victory but it will sure make it a much higher mountain to climb for the Bills :cool:

I just heard it over the Radio from the KC Power & Light district and the mood there is total elation!! This will be a most interesting game come Sunday evening. I wouldn't miss it for the world :)

I also heard that we are getting Sammy Watkins back as well :cool: He was a huge weapon in last year's run.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Just got more news over the radio>> They have now declared that Clyde Edwards-Helaire will also be released to play this Sunday against the Bills :cool: I just hope that CEH, Darrel Williams and LEVeon Bell all play a ferocious game of "Running Back By Committee This Sunday 01-24-21.

They also said that Tyreek Hill looked great in practice. Hill and Kelce both need to have career games this Sunday :cool:

It's also high time that our back up tight ends participate in a big way as well.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wow, really? I totally didn't see that coming! I thought they were going to play Chad Henne in the AFC Championship, with a chance to go back to the Superbowl for the second year in a row, for sure!

Really though, Mahomes was always going to play in this game. In the past, he has relied a lot on his mobility and I think their biggest concern right now is actually his toe injury. It was clearly bothering him against the Browns.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

:D
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

As much as I like the Chiefs as the better team, I gotta go with home team and cheer on the Bills! Funny, all these years all the Bill's fans around here have driven me nuts with "this is the year" talk and kind of made me not like the Bills. This team this year though, is something different. It was fun watching them progress throughout the season. Good for all the fans to FINALLY have a team to get behind and cheer for!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't wait for Sunday these games will be awesome!
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:28 pm
Wow, really? I totally didn't see that coming! I thought they were going to play Chad Henne in the AFC Championship, with a chance to go back to the Superbowl for the second year in a row, for sure!

Really though, Mahomes was always going to play in this game. In the past, he has relied a lot on his mobility and I think their biggest concern right now is actually his toe injury. It was clearly bothering him against the Browns.
I wasn't completely 100% convinced that Mahomes would pass the concussion protocol. Because I wasn't for sure who was going to give him the green light or say that he couldn't go. There's really no predicting these doctors because they are always running "Law Suit" scared for the most part.

But with all of the side pocket sarcasm aside I'm glad that you're happy about the situation Brother Mushroom :D

If you were here in KC I would treat you to a high caliber Kansas City Bar BQ dinner just to show you my good will :D

Probably good that neither one of us has to take a "polygraph" test huh :D

It's all GOOD Bro, It's all Good :) And it's for sure good knowing who will be throwing laser beams to Hill and Kelce on Sunday :) I just hope they're on their game and that they catch those high powered passes. They've been known to drop the ball in these playoff games before :o
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:47 pm
As much as I like the Chiefs as the better team, I gotta go with home team and cheer on the Bills! Funny, all these years all the Bill's fans around here have driven me nuts with "this is the year" talk and kind of made me not like the Bills. This team this year though, is something different. It was fun watching them progress throughout the season. Good for all the fans to FINALLY have a team to get behind and cheer for!
Of all the playoff games thus far I've got to admit that this Chiefs vs Bills game is one I for sure don't want to bet any serious money on. Both teams are hitting on 7 to 8 cylinders and both have shown good defense in the past two games as well.

I said it early on in the Post Season>> ANYTHING!!! and I Do mean ANYTHING!!! can happen in the playoffs. Even though it's been a few years back I do remember when the Raiders went all the way from being the botton tier wild card team to the 1980-81 Superbowl. The really under-rated Raider QB Jim Plunkett who hardly no one knew anything about pulled off one of the biggest upsets in Superbowl history and won it decisively over Dick Vermeil and the Philadelphia Eagles.

Again ANYTHING can happen in the Post Season.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Now that is interesting that you bring up that alleged toe injury. Because Deion Sanders actually quit football at one time over a bad toe injury he had>> I think it was when he was playing with Dallas because it has been a few years. A lot of people don't realize how debilitating a toe injury can be. I've seen some really tough guys in my days be sidelined from all kinds of toe injuries. I've had surgery on 3 of my toes in the past 18 months and I'm here to tell all of you first hand it brought tears to my eyes on two occasions during the after-surgery healing process. After both surgeries they were really slow healing too. It's no joke folks!! Because toes have a lot of nerve endings and can be extremely painful and very annoying while recovering.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:36 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Really?
And I won't argue that. I'm sure Haskins has natural skills for the game. After all look how good he did in college. But MAC is so right about his attitude and and his lack of discipline. Haskins has thumbed his nose in the face of those who could have been really helpful to him ( mainly his coaches). I'm sure as the chair I'm sitting in that Ron Rivera hated to let him go. But Ron Rivera being one of the players from that 85 Chicago Bears team under Mike Ditka knows very well how much that "overall attitude" and being a "team player" plays into the game of NFL football.

Haskins also needs to be mentored by a journeyman QB that has paid his dues>> Big Ben could play an important role there for sure. He needs to also come down off his high horse to realize that football is very, very much a team sport and that no team solely depends on one guy alone. And until he embraces that mentality and is willing to learn from experienced mentors he will unfortunately will continue to be a "loose canon" until he's forced to grow up a bit.

I truly wish the best for the guy. However I have a funny feeling that Mike Tomlin will probably have a long talk with him before allowing him to grace a Steeler's uniform. Tomlin is the type of guy that could help to put an end to the childish antics that Haskins has yet to get over. I elect to take a "wait & see" on Mr. Haskins. And I'm not going to hold my breath very long either.