NFL Season: 2020-2021

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: NFL Season: 2020-2021

Post by MacLaren »

Well, I really hope Brees will be back next season.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tom still got it... Brees doesn't. #ringsoverrecords
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Tompa Bay lined up in victory formation! Love to see it!!!
-Nick :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gonna be very hard for Tampa to defeat Green Bay at Lambeau, especially so if the weather is rotten.
Just my opinion...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 pm
Gonna be very hard for Tampa to defeat Green Bay at Lambeau, especially so if the weather is rotten.
Just my opinion...
I agree, but...Tommy has also played in some poor weather games in his career! Excited for this one.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:47 am
MacLaren wrote:
Just my opinion...
I agree, but...Tommy has also played in some poor weather games in his career! Excited for this one.
True that!
Its the rest of Tampa that worries me - minus Gronk of course :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Just my opinion...
I hope it's replay of the "ICE BOWL" of 1967. When the Dallas Cowboys took on the Green Bay Packers led by the immortal Bart Starr & Vince Lombardi. It was way below zero and a couple of the players had life long problems because of playing in that temperature.
Yep!! I hope it's ICE BOWL #2. Check out the ICE BOWL if some of you are not aware of it. There are YT videos on it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:08 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 pm
I can't believe the Browns just let CHAD HENNE beat them... :eek:
Hey our back up QBs aren't trash dude. Even our third string Matt Moore isn't bad either.

But I gotta admit it sure didn't go down the way I would have thought.

But it's gonna be a battle Royale against the Bills. It ain't gonna be easy any way you cut it.
They might not be trash but they're not Patty Mahomes! With Mahomes not being in that game, that was the Browns best opportunity to take that game. The door was wide open for them! As unfortunate as it is, Mahomes leaving that game was THE break the Browns really needed to take advantage of.
OH I totally agree with you on that. Yep that was better than winning a huge lottery when the Chief's snagged Sir Patrick in that 2017 Draft. I just hope Patrick didn't suffer a season ending injury or concussion. It looks good so far from what I've heard.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The N.O. Saints: Change Needed now!!!
I just read an article about the Saint's recent heartbreaking loss. You could also add "inexcusable" to that list of comments that the media has made since the conclusion of last night's game.

The Saint's have blown it in so many super important games that it's past time for them to fire Sean Payton and the rest of his staff as well. With the awesome talent that team has and then they continually blow it year after year you've got to cut your losses short.
Payton's resume just stinks by any standards. His one Superbowl victory is now in the "ancient history" sector. It just can't be argued at this point any longer.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

These current coaches have only won 1 Superbowl as a head coach: Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, John Gruden, (Doug Pederson is currently unemployed) ... It's harder than it looks to win 2 Superbowls.
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:04 am
These current coaches have only won 1 Superbowl as a head coach: Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, John Gruden, (Doug Pederson is currently unemployed) ... It's harder than it looks to win 2 Superbowls.
Absolutely agreed!
And, Tomlin has NEVER had a loosing season.
I'm telling ya, it's been dam hard to win a Super Bowl with Tom Brady & Bill Belichick around the last 20 years!
For the last 20 years, everything went thru Foxboro or The Patriots in the Super Bowl...
9 Super Bowl appearances and untelling how many playoff appearances......
The only exception to that list would be Pete Carroll imo. He Absolutely should have won 2 Super Bowls in a row. That goal line pass he called will FOREVER be a.mystery to us all lol... but will be forever a gift to all Patriots fans :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:04 am
I'm not talking about any of those other coaches you mentioned. I'm specifically talking about Sean Payton and his inexcusable handing of that Saint's team particularly in the past 2 to 3 years. His post season performances have been terribly disappointing when you've got Drew Brees at QB and not to mention that powerhouse Running Back Alvin Kamara>> and with those two guys that's the best you can come up with :confused: :confused:

No my point isn't about coaches winning multiple Superbowls it's about an extremely lackluster performance and it goes on year after year>> you can even go back to "bounty-gate" which should have gotten a coach kicked out of the NFL. I rest my case for now. It's time for new leadership in New Orleans
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Why is Sean any different from Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh or Pete Carroll? All haven't won a Superbowl in awhile, and yet are still employed?
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:10 am
Why is Sean any different from Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh or Pete Carroll? All haven't won a Superbowl in awhile, and yet are still employed?
True but I haven't heard of any of those guys caught up into corruption like Mr. Payton has with "Bounty Gate". And if any coach in the entire NFL had serious expectations it would be Sean Payton. He had arguably one of the top 3 QBs in the league as well as rock solid defense>> A running back that teams would drain the bank for and a fanbase that is probably only second to the Chiefs.

For what he has had at his disposal and for what he has produced with all those resources there's been an "F" or at best a "D" on his report card for 3 years running now. Hey if they are going to fire Marty Schottenheimer who that year had a 14-2 season with the San Diego Chargers then why shouldn't the Saints be looking for another coach to have a shot at it?

Hey if I'm wrong then tell me why??? That's about as fair as I can get.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

All I'm saying is he's really no different than the other coaches I listed... Look at the great teams Carroll and Tomlin have had. I am no fan of Sean I'm just saying he's no better or worse than the other Superbowl winning coaches. I would like to see what he could do for the Texans as their head coach.
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey guys get a load of this: it just came over Fox Sports News that Myles Garrett ( of all people :rolleyes: ) told the media that no Brown's teammate was "head-hunting" in response to the injury-concussion that happened to Sir Patrick Mahomes :eek:

Oh REALLY!!! a guy who just a little over a year ago did a criminal assault on the football field when he took a "helmut" and deliberately hit Mason Rudolph in the head with it >> which could have resulted in a super serious injury or in a remote chance might have caused death. In other words we're supposed to take the word of a guy who was suspended for the 2019 season for doing what could be called a "criminal act" :rolleyes:

Really!!??? he's now the spokesperson for the Browns after all of that :confused: :confused:

You can't make this kind of stuff up :confused:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

As good as the Chiefs players are, Reid has been keeping up with the times in terms of using analytics to put his team in the best position to win. Here’s but one example. It's hard to quantify how much a coach contributes to a team victory (after all, it's the players on the field who do the bulk of the work), but the decision about punting is pretty cut and dry.

It also shouldn't come as a surprise that the Seahawks are the worst team in this regard. Russell Wilson had his best season, but Carroll fired the OC and lamented that the team didn't run enough. Looking at the numbers, you stand a better chance by passing more than running the ball when looking at Super Bowl winners. I'm no expert, but it sounds like the Seahawks struggled because they couldn't make adjustments to their passing game when opposing teams dropped their second safety back into coverage.

We saw this in baseball; well respected managers clung to the old school mentality that gave them their previous success. But when the game is changing around you, the old ideas and strategies don't always hold up. The best coaches and front offices adjust to the game as it is, not pretend that the game is being played as it once was. Again, it's hard to properly quantify the impact of Reid, but I think there is a growing amount of evidence that he (and the GM) are open to these new ideas. As long as Reid & Co. stay at the forefront, he will have a competitive advantage. This won't guarantee victory, and the rest of the league will catch up eventually.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well P_atrick I'm going to be flat out honest with all of you here. When the Chiefs first got Andy Reid back 2012 we were coming off probably theeeee worst season ever with Romeo Crennel as head coach. Thank GOD they flushed him immediately!! It was probably about the darkest time in team history. Mr. Crennel has proven to be a great defensive coordinator over the years but his time as a head coach with Cleveland, KC and the Texans is quite evident that he doesn't have the skill to be one.>> CASE CLOSED on Romeo Crennel

But I slowly but surely started seeing some profound changes in the Chief's team from the players to the front office for the past 3 years. It was when the Chiefs made Brett Veach the GM is when things really started to fall in place in a great way. Between Andy and Brett Veach we have gotten Mecole Hardman, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Frank Clark, Tyrann Mathieu and L' Jarius Sneed just to name a few>> But when we got Patrick Mahomes to add to that bunch it was without a doubt the best Chief's roster move I've seen since Lenny Dawson was our QB. And that's going back a few days.

When Brett Veach was installed as GM it's been nothing but super positive since that day. He was the final ingredient in a the possible making of a premier team in the NFL. It hasn't been this good since I can remember.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Time Travel Tuesday :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:47 am
Time Travel Tuesday :D
Yeah the 72 Miami Dolphins were the only UNDEFEATED team ever. Oh I know a couple of teams went without a loss during the regular season but those guys won all the pre-season games and went all the way to the Superbowl undefeated. I'm not sure that would even be possible to do in this era with the better defenses, salary caps and several other issues that might make that impossible at this time in NFL history.

Also I think they were still on a 14 game season at that time too. It was a completely different era all together. But you can't take away from what they did. It's a real shame that Mercury Morris ( their RB) got in bad trouble and did a lot of prison time after his career. They didn't help with head injuries like they do now. Again it was a completely different era.