Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by Ankerson »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:32 pm
But then... One of my brothers is a Physician, he thinks that everbody is totally overreacting. He is of rhe opinion, that if "we would not know about Corona virus we would not know" - meaning, that without all the dark scenarios and the hype, the Virus would just blend unnoticed into the regular flu... he also says, MORE people will die from all the restricions than would from the Virus WITHOUT the restrictions... I can´t tell what´s true. I am really not worried for myself or other rather healthy, strong, not too old people. But sure a bit for my old, and weakened mother.
I think the concern is the impact on the elderly, when we run out of hospital beds and especially when we run out of ventilators. In the USA, projections are that the hardest hit areas (even after sharing ventilators between patients) will end up with something like 5-7 extra patients waiting for each ventilator. That means the doctors will have to do battlefield triage, and essentially give up on the people who are least likely to recover and abandon their care. That's a really hard position to put a doctor in, having to choose who to let die. There are credible firsthand report from physicians in Italy (not just internet rumors that they are pretty much just not providing ventilators to patients over 62 years old, essentially letting them die. It's terrible, and unfortunately necessary, but if we all just stay home and don't freak out we can greatly reduce the chance of that happening here (by which I mean the USA). We have fewer hospital beds (per person) available than Italy, but we also have a younger population that's less likely to need them.

If we're all locked down for a month, then people who have inadequate food supplies are going to need help from their neighbors. Fortunately, I live in an area where the dominant religious group requires their members to stockpile a year of food, and most of them are willing to share with their neighbors, so I think that here (rural Idaho, one of the latest points on the curve, and also a place with a lot of normal personal space and a low population density), we are unlikely to see panic.

I definitely think that panic is the real enemy here. Stay calm, take reasonable precautions, and don't lose touch with your own humanity when others are in need. :)

True...

It would be a real shame to see people die needlessly. :(

I think the ones that are in denial now will be the biggest danger to others because they aren't going to have what they need once reality sets in.

Once the mitagation and other efforts to contain it start they will be the ones in total panic mode so we need to watch out for those people.

Hopefully they get the testing ramped up soon to were it needs to be so they know the real scope of how far it's spread etc.

Then they will have an idea of what they have to do and were they have to do it.

The faster they can get a handle on this the quicker they will be able to get it under control and the quicker we will all be able to get back to normal.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 am
...I think the concern is the impact on the elderly, when we run out of hospital beds and especially when we run out of ventilators. In the USA, projections are that the hardest hit areas (even after sharing ventilators between patients) will end up with something like 5-7 extra patients waiting for each ventilator.
One reason is because the medical care in the US is so intensely technologically and pharmacologically driven. People do not consider prevention (healthy diet and lifestyle) before they consider going to the system and asking for a pill. Evidence: anyone watching late night TV is bombarded by advertising for medications that are grossly overpriced (the latest greatest new med!) to correct issues that could have been addressed calmly and patiently by lifestyle changes. Secondary evidence: the number of advertisements for lawyers seeking to help you with claims about side effects or consequences of some of those convenience decisions. The second reason is that hospital administrators buy one kind of every toy but then when it's not used as much as they hoped it gets wrapped in plastic and shoved in a closet storage. The staff who were trained to use the toy become incompetent in its use by neglect, lack of experience low numbers of patients etc. Then you must rely on a higher level center where the number of cases helps the staff maintain training and the equipment. Yes, better care exists higher up the pyramid, but when their equipment is filled, they will turn you away. This is also a form of triage. Triage is based on resource availability.
...That means the doctors will have to do battlefield triage, and essentially give up on the people who are least likely to recover and abandon their care. That's a really hard position to put a doctor in, making them choose who to let die.
Doctors are human beings, some better some worse at that characteristic. It is unfortunate to think that one of my colleagues would "give up" on a patient despite the absence of needed resources. Patient abandonment is a despicable practice. This is not a war. Triage takes a psychological toll on everyone involved. Remember doctors will be given encouragement to think in ways they would not by people who are neither prepared for, nor willing to accept responsibility for, that encouragement.

There are any number of acceptable alternatives. But doctors are not trained to think in alternatives. There is a cookbook called the standard of care they are encouraged to operate from. This means we all practice generally the same and is intended to protect us from lawsuits by not deviating from that standard.

So, when there is no ventilator, improvise. That means a bag/mask system and another volunteer to squeeze it. If you have anemia, drink brown beer instead of pale (true, and a true story). That doctor was very popular in his third world clinic. The community had a brown beer factory but no iron pills in any pharmacy. If there are no oxygen bottles what then? Well, there are oxygen bottles in welding shops, go find some. There are workable solutions and there will be creative heroes. They will also get the label of being "risky," by their less courageous and inflexible colleagues and administrators when all is said and done.
...If we're all locked down for a month, then people who have inadequate food supplies are going to need help from their neighbors. Fortunately, I live in an area where the dominant religious group requires their members to stockpile a year of food, and most of them are willing to share with their neighbors, so I think that here (rural Idaho, one of the latest points on the curve, and also a place with a lot of normal personal space and a low population density), we are unlikely to see panic.
There are people exactly as you describe. I think your neighbors have practices that date back to the 1919 Flu pandemic when scarcity in rural areas was common. They learned from history. Even then, neighbors would not stop at a neighboring farm (distance, non urban open spaces) to ask to, or for, help. Even this in areas where the flu was uncommon. They had the additional reason for storing food in that they were of a group of people who were shunned for what they believed and could not expect help from the others in their community. Panic magnifies all sorts of negative human responses.
...I definitely think that panic is the real enemy here. Stay calm, take reasonable precautions, and don't lose touch with your own humanity when others are in need. :)
I agree wholeheartedly. The best medicine is education. If you're not at risk, help those who are. Bring food and supplies to the shut ins. Care for each other. Do not give up or abandon anyone.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 pm
Be aware: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/marty-ma ... ame=iossmf

The Doctor is right, people do really need to start taking this thing seriously.

Not panic, but they do need to start grasping reality about what this is and what steps are coming.

This thing is not a joke nor something to be ignored or blown off as nothing.

Getting or being prepared while keeping a level head is a good thing.

Time to really start paying attention as things can change very quickly as this progresses.

Staying informed is very important now to what is happening in your local areas.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I guess this thread is gonna go off topic and start fear mongering again.

Even with all the hysteria, at least we havent lost our sense of humor. This madness has been a source of comedy gold. My daily life has been affected by a flood of high quality memes. :)
C64E19A6-CA27-435F-913D-20225C4CA031.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

BF55E312-7757-429E-904F-B19FEFE7000B.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha, some of these memes are gold!

I haven't been to the store since I posted that pic on Thursday. We're going to the grocery store in an hour or two. All we want are the regular things, to feed our modest family of 3 for the week...who knows what we'll end up with :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:35 am
Hahaha, some of these memes are gold!

I haven't been to the store since I posted that pic on Thursday. We're going to the grocery store in an hour or two. All we want are the regular things, to feed our modest family of 3 for the week...who knows what we'll end up with :confused:

Yeah, I have to get a few things today too so I will be hitting the store later today.

Minor stuff though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:39 am
I guess this thread is gonna go off topic and start fear mongering again.

Even with all the hysteria, at least we havent lost our sense of humor. This madness has been a source of comedy gold. My daily life has been affected by a flood of high quality memes. :)

C64E19A6-CA27-435F-913D-20225C4CA031.jpeg

I just don't understand the TP thing at all... You can't eat TP..... :confused:

What people are doing now is no different than what I have seen them do everytime when they call for snow.

The real problem is MOST people just don't have enough things to last for more than a few days to a week on hand.

So they have to go out and buy things. (Things to always have on hand could have a whole thread all on it's own.)

I think the panic comes in when things run out and they can't get them.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We just got back from the store, and surprisingly it wasn't much busier than a typical Sunday. We were able to get a bulk pack of chicken, some sausage and a couple steaks. There was no bread, paper products or dog and cat food. Supplies weren't too bad of canned good and frozen veggies were quite stocked.

The biggest surprise to us was that ALL the shredded cheeses were totally wiped out. Not a single bag.

I'm hoping this is a sign that the panic and hysteria may be dieing down a bit.

-Rick
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

This is probably futile, but in an attempt to get this back on topic:
Hopweaver wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38 pm
NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR POLITICS OR FEAR MONGERING. A previous thread on this forum was shut down due to those issues. You must keep your comments to your personal impact with the virus. Hopefully this skirts any offending dialog issues and can provide for some meaning exchange of information.

Not much has changed for me. I've always avoided crowds (AKA "social distancing"). The only thing that changed is it used to be considered anti-social behavior, and now it's socially responsible!

And I've always worked from home whenever I could, so being told to do it every day is (for me) a good thing. Maybe in a few years when the studies are done about how this spread, the reports will condemn the "open office" plans that cram as many people as possible into a workspace and software companies will go back to cubes and offices. (I hate hate hate open office plans.)

And I've always been a "buy in bulk and save" shopper, so I rarely have less than 2-3 months of stuff in the pantry. I've gone to the store for fresh stuff (bread, eggs, etc.) but I don't need to stock up on TP or pasta sauce or similar stuff. I've also got a well-stocked liquor cabinet. :) So if I need to self-quarantine I'm pretty well set.

The areas it has affected me:

* I own stocks (and have 401K and IRA that are invested in stocks), so the last few weeks have been pretty interesting. But I'm old enough that I was following the stock market when the 1987 crash happened, so I've BTDT. I'm a "buy and hold" investor, so even multi-year downturns don't really bother me.

* Even though I had about a month's supply left, I did a 90-day refill on a prescription. When I got it filled in January (long before the panic buying started) it took a week because the local distributor was out, so I had some reason to be concerned about getting this filled. This time it was filled quickly (two days), but who knows if they'd be able to fill it a month from now.

* I'm watching the car makers to see if they're going to do some big incentives to get people into dealerships. I'd like to get a new truck, and if I could get a really good deal because no one is buying right now, I might do it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:26 am
We just got back from the store, and surprisingly it wasn't much busier than a typical Sunday. We were able to get a bulk pack of chicken, some sausage and a couple steaks. There was no bread, paper products or dog and cat food. Supplies weren't too bad of canned good and frozen veggies were quite stocked.

The biggest surprise to us was that ALL the shredded cheeses were totally wiped out. Not a single bag.

I'm hoping this is a sign that the panic and hysteria may be dieing down a bit.

Yeah, I just got back just now...

Wasn't too busy when I was there, but the shevels were wiped out... :eek:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Maybe we just got lucky with timing. There were a lot of kids working there and the carts they use to stack all the boxes on were all over the store. Encouraging though, to say the least.

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:08 pm
Maybe we just got lucky with timing. There were a lot of kids working there and the carts they use to stack all the boxes on were all over the store. Encouraging though, to say the least.

I think so, one of the people told me I just missed it today.

She said it has been unreal how busy it has been lately.

Everything for the most part was blown out or almost empty... And there was a lot of bare shelves all over the store.

People are buying everything in sight...
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

This is by far the best quote of the day: https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... -doing-the

His words are worth hearing.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mike Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:23 pm
This is by far the best quote of the day: https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... -doing-the

His words are worth hearing.

Dr. Anthony Fauci is one of, if not the the smartest person on the planet when it comes to Viruses and how to deal with them.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Okay, I've been digesting this question ... edited to not derail the OP.
Last edited by Mike Blue on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Annnnd back off topic we go.

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mike Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:44 pm
Post was edited....

Edited post....
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.