Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hopweaver

Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by Hopweaver »

Until last week, the Coronavirus was just a story on the news for me. But now it has begun to impact my daily life. I was asked to work from home 50% of the time. And events I would normally attend are being cancelled. Most recently the Big Ten Basketball Tournament. I was really looking forward to going tonight.

Has the coronavirus impacted you in any way?

NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR POLITICS OR FEAR MONGERING. A previous thread on this forum was shut down due to those issues. You must keep your comments to your personal impact with the virus. Hopefully this skirts any offending dialog issues and can provide for some meaning exchange of information.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
prndltech

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by prndltech »

They’re canceling everything except work...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Not in any way (other than losing plenty of $$ in the markets).

Going about life the same way I did a month ago. The fish don’t seem to be worried.

Yesterday’s action...spot the Pacific Salt.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Nice catch! Other than the markets, I can't use my refill cup at the coffee shop.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Not yet, but I think we are heading towards a lock-down scenario in the U.K fairly soon, assuming they want to delay the spike and give the medical services a better chance.

Tbh, when I learned that kids & adolescents aren’t generally badly affected, I genuinely relaxed about it a bit. I don’t mind taking my chances with it so much, knowing my daughter, nieces & nephews etc are at low risk.

Panic buying/ stockpiling pixxes me off a bit, though. Food, medicines, ok - if you must ... but toilet paper? I was in one house where the chap had 14 giant multipacks that I could see, and maybe more in his cupboards!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm

Panic buying/ stockpiling pixxes me off a bit, though. Food, medicines, ok - if you must ... but toilet paper? I was in one house where the chap had 14 giant multipacks that I could see, and maybe more in his cupboards!
Yes that is silly. :rolleyes:

No, the virus has not affected me personally.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm
Not in any way (other than losing plenty of $$ in the markets).
That's called "stocks going on sale". :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

To “flatten the curve” (https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/fla ... ronavirus/), my wife and I are now self-isolating here in New Hampshire. I foresee both of us getting sick and infecting others, but want to postpone each event for as long as possible (I conclude from epidemiological facts on the ground that what is happening in Italy is headed our way).
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Delete
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My daughter's school just got shut down until the 30th. That's about it so far.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I moved back home after I had a heart attack in 2017. I'm 60 and have cardiovascular disease. I had a 3-way bypass and a new aortic valve put in. My mom is 80 years old.

We stocked up two wire Metro shelves. We keep buying small lots of things that we need to hunker down. Spent maybe $1,500 tops. We plan on self quarantining. Not sure it will work, but either one of us could die if this is as virulent as they say with older folks. I have 55 - 3M P100 filters, and the full face mask is supposed to show up within a week. I have 35 - N-95 masks from the H1N1 scare in 2009 (the masks are 10yrs old but still work) and I have to replace the rubber straps...which I'll be doing over the next few days.

Has it effected us? So far I'd say, I'll end up buying at least two fewer knives in 2020, but that is all. Look at it this way. If I'm alive for the next 30 years, I'm going to be buying quite a few more knives(maybe 100 more), whereas if I'm pushing up daisies, game over.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

On another note, many knife makers have cancelled their appearances at knife shows, or cancelled shows altogether. The other thread was not a problem. It was full of facts. Lets hope that this thread does not get shut down too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm
toilet paper?
https://youtu.be/ia0bfWbOLjY
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I work in the medical field. Nobody told me I could work from home or take a sick day. No, nothing's changed except the Bug Du Jour.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Not until today, school and daycares are closed until April 24th now. I’m really biting my tounge and going to leave it at this..
Josh
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The grocery stores are a bit crowded.

I'm raising share counts and lowering share price.

Other than that, nothing major.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pretty sure my husband has been close to tears all day since basketball is all canceled or postponed (including the game he was going to in Memphis next weekend). Oh yeah, and his mom canceled her trip to come see us this weekend. ;) My kids are off school next week for spring break, and it's looking pretty likely their break will be extended. Also if we run out of toilet paper any time soon we'll have to resort to using leaves...it's craziness out there. Not to make light of the situation, but humor seems like a good coping mechanism right now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Same symptoms as the flu, none worse. The flu kills hundreds of thousands here in the states per year and nothing’s ever been cancelled because of it, and theres no “cure” for either one of them. The bird flu, Ebola, nothing’s been shut down like this that I remember. I want to know what we’re not seeing or being told about while this is going on here in the states. “Hey everyone, look at the left hand over here... Nevermind what the right is doing”

All this goes to say that it has not effected me in any way shape or form. I still have to go to work and deal with people... I also have bidets at the house so... I don’t care about toilet paper. I personally know someone who had to stand in lines in Romania to get rotten bananas. I’m not sure what “they’re” up to... I’ll leave who “they” are up to your imagination and I don’t know how the whole toilet paper thing got started but this is utterly ridiculous. Just like the gas “shortage” not long ago. Freakin sheeple.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’ve had some difficulty obtaining toilet paper. I get my groceries delivered and they said none was left last time they tried a delivery. Meh.

My office is running out of hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes but again...meh.

Sports are being cancelled but I don’t watch those. So meh.

That’s not to say it’s not concerning. Events and things seem to be getting cancelled every hour. I’m sure I’ll be told to work from home soon.

Stay safe out there friends.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Yes, yes it did affect me.
I am a teacher (in US system on a high school) and all schools in my country are closed from 16th to 27th March. 2 weeks are going to ruin everything planning wise - I could send my students something to do via internet, but it is not the same as a regular lessons....
Also my sister is in Italy, and if she comes home, she is going to be in the quarantine for two weeks, including all the family members that live in the same house......so possibly another two weeks that I cant go to work....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45