Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by The Deacon »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 pm
Naturally at this time of year everything outside gets a free layer of green dust from the huge blossoms of pollen . :)

That's for sure, Joe. All those oversexed trees have my allergies in overdrive. No fever, so I know I'm not sick, but between the coughing, sneezing, and nose honking when I'm outdoors for more than five minutes my neighbors are giving me a wide berth when I walk Romeo. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 pm
Naturally at this time of year everything outside gets a free layer of green dust from the huge blossoms of pollen . :)

That's for sure, Joe. All those oversexed trees have my allergies in overdrive. No fever, so I know I'm not sick, but between the coughing, sneezing, and nose honking when I'm outdoors for more than five minutes my neighbors are giving me a wide berth when I walk Romeo. :D
My seasonal allergies are set to kick off in a couple weeks, I was worried about how that would be perceived here at work (thankfully my job is considered essential) We employ around 230 employees, though more than half are able to work from home now. But, if anybody has more than the occasional sniffle or cough, they are ordered to leave the mill or are not even permitted. Knowing I'll soon be sneezing and nose running down my face, definitely had me a bit worried...until an email from our GM came out last night that starting next week, we will all have our temperatures taken in the parking lot before entering the mill.

Kind of freaky, but it's a smart thing to do. Really makes me wonder, after all this is said and done...will ever be the same again, as a society as a whole. This is going to have a major impact on life in general going forward.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

How has this affected my daily life?

Well, my liver hurts. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:29 am

Hahaha mine too!
Josh
bearfacedkiller

57E800E5-42EA-474D-81B7-CB78C21A292E.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

5D815734-DFCE-40F5-A39B-A38C0232944C.jpeg
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:22 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Hahaha mine too!
1F1C1C6F-6537-4BF3-9F45-B77C51A104CE.jpeg
-Darby
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

I should def get an early afternoon buzz on here soon. I have some Capt Morgan "special order" here but I need to go buy a 6 pack of coke...and when I'm there I should buy some beer too.

Sitting here watching this every day... it's just astounding! There are no words.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Where I'm at we're supposedly drinking 42% more alcohol while sheltering..
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not to put a damper on all the additional boozing, but I had a random thought...do you guys think domestic violence will intensify with couples being cooped up and drinking more now than usual, stuck together 24/7?? I think this is going to be a true test for relationships and marriages... I hope the best in everyone shows face.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Not to put a damper on all the additional boozing, but I had a random thought...do you guys think domestic violence will intensify with couples being cooped up and drinking more now than usual, stuck together 24/7?? I think this is going to be a true test for relationships and marriages... I hope the best in everyone shows face.
I'd put my money on not. There will be some to be sure but IME people react to catastrophes and difficulties the opposite of the stereotypes and usually become more supportive of each other and helpful. I've seen it in every bad hurricane and snowstorms/blizzards I've been around. Largely people pull together in crisis situations.

Joe
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've definitely added some pandemic pounds at this point. Not being able to get as much exercise, plus being stuck at home with my wife, who is an amazing cook, putting together three meals a day. She's gone to 100% remote work (our area isn't calling in off-specialty doctors for Covid units yet, so she actually had in-patient work cancelled because her unit was converted to take Covid patients). I've more or less shut down my business for the duration of this, so I'm only doing a couple hours of admin work each day (all computer stuff). We've done a lot of house cleaning, reorganization and home improvement, though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 am
at home with my wife
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 am
I've definitely added some pandemic pounds at this point. Not being able to get as much exercise, plus being stuck at home with my wife, who is an amazing cook, putting together three meals a day. She's gone to 100% remote work (our area isn't calling in off-specialty doctors for Covid units yet, so she actually had in-patient work cancelled because her unit was converted to take Covid patients). I've more or less shut down my business for the duration of this, so I'm only doing a couple hours of admin work each day (all computer stuff). We've done a lot of house cleaning, reorganization and home improvement, though.
I’ve actually started losing a few pounds and getting in better shape since this whole lockdown thing. Living alone, I do my own cooking, and I’ve become more frugal with the amount I eat, due to not wanting to shop more than once a week. I’ve always been in good shape, but being so busy and stressed over the past year, had gained some pounds not being able, or motivated, to train as much as I used to. And the routines can all be done on my own. This, in addition to the typical chores around the home/yard.

Jim
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

In the midst of the pestilence one of the pshrinkologists wandered through the team areas the other day reminding us of the Four to One rule. She thought it useful enough to remind us that most of what we do is not medicine but human behavior.

The idea is that it takes four good things to offset a bad thing. Apply this to any area you can imagine. If we can't treat this with a shot or a pill at least give them this to work on and the social improvement will supplement all the things we can or can't do.

James Y, your post above illustrates that more than 4:1.
bearfacedkiller

8A3A69A8-F784-42B9-A003-47DDB164BE96.jpeg
I am actually at work. I could use a little quarantine at this point. :D
-Darby
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I lost my bartending position due to restaurants ordered to only serve take out food. Waiting for unemployment. Selling off my knives to make ends meet. If you still have a job then please realize how lucky you are right now. Millions of others are in the same boat as me.
bearfacedkiller

Dubs, sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to get by and hopefully this turns around soon. I don’t want it to seem like I don’t have sympathy because I do. This is a time when those of us who are weathering the storm better need to support those who are struggling. I know a lot of folks in the service industry. The main industry here is tourism so people are hurting around here.

I am grateful to be still working and my wife is as well. I don’t like to call it luck though. One of the reasons I decided to pursue this career was job security and opportunity. If I get laid off the world is truly coming to an end.

Of course I could not have predicted this but I did know I was getting into an industry that isn’t really effected by the economy and that had to be done 365 days a year.
-Darby
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Bdubs, I feel you. I have a restaurant job, and a hospitality/event center/wedding venue job. No income from either since March 15. I'm waiting for unemployment too. I can only hope we have jobs to go back to when this settles down.
Last edited by cabfrank on Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

3377805B-DF71-47D2-B096-C229CC49B069.jpeg
F2FB8857-7E64-4D36-B210-408F45E4A308.jpeg
-Darby