Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SF Native

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by SF Native »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:27 pm
My doctor is following the state dept of health’s guidelines. The state won’t test me without a doctor referral. Sure, I could fight with them or doctor shop until I get tested. Not gonna do either. If they were as worried about this as they claim they would test anybody who is very sick.

Still missing my point. I am not looking for advice. My point is that they are causing hysteria but in practice they are falling short on their end. It isn’t about controlling this, it is about looking like they are trying to control it. Plain and simple. That is my point.

Likely looking at the old guidelines... ;)

There have been people who have tested positive and quite a few of them that don't have all the symptoms.... Or none of them and still come up positive.

Like I said call the CDC or the Health Dept.

They are supposed to be testing anybody who is very sick.
I’m thinking that they are not testing people. I hate to say it but we are on our own. Take care of yourself. But this is a dilemma that many face. Rest now and use pto or save it for the real covid 19 infection. Do you have it now and want to rest? Who knows. A mild case would be a blessing.testing would be real nice about now. I don’t think you want a cold and covid 19 at the same time. It’s really frustrating.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I assume testing will become much more available. Who knows how far out of the barn the horse will be by then?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm
I assume testing will become much more available. Who knows how far out of the barn the horse will be by then?

Down the road, over the hill and into the next town... LOL
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nothing more relaxing than driving home on a nearly empty highway that's usually very busy at 5:30...then to see the flashing signs on the road, usually used for lane closures, accidents, etc....flashing "stay home" "save lives" "stop the spread"

This is getting more and more surreal by the day, and to think they are expecting the peak of this to be in another month. Scary to think how we as a society will change over this period of time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm
Nothing more relaxing than driving home on a nearly empty highway that's usually very busy at 5:30...then to see the flashing signs on the road, usually used for lane closures, accidents, etc....flashing "stay home" "save lives" "stop the spread"

This is getting more and more surreal by the day, and to think they are expecting the peak of this to be in another month. Scary to think how we as a society will change over this period of time.

It won't be forever.

Things will get back to normal.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:06 pm
My point was just the hypocrisy of all this fear mongering if they won’t test sick people who want to be tested. What a joke!
Given the current number of available tests, it would be impossible to test everyone who is sick. There are probably _a lot_ more cases than we have "confirmed" for this reason.

The problem is that employers (and that includes government employers and also apparently proposals to have the government pick up the sick leave tab) are all requiring "confirmed COVID-19" to cover sick leave. Which is crazy because there is actually no way we could confirm all the cases in the country. There are simply not enough test kits. And if there were, there isn't enough lab time to process them.

It's a big mess, for sure.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I realize there are a shortage of test kits. Considering how sick I am I was still surprised they didn’t test me. Treating it as bronchitis for now.

It is a mess. They say they will cover the cost of the test but you still need to go to the doctor for a referral. You gotta pay for that. For one reason or another lots of folks aren’t gonna go. All this hoopla and in the end this thing might still just run it’s normal course. We’ll see.

It will be interesting to see what they do to make financial compensation. I work in the ski industry and we were forced to close a month early. Disney? Skiing? Music? Sports? Travel and lodging? Restaurants and bars? The average joe? The list goes on. They ain’t bailing everybody out.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wishing you a full recovery Darby... I rely on you to enable my Bark River addiction lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:27 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm

It won't be forever.
Things will get back to normal.
Now that I’ve been watching more TV, it’s a little bizarre to see commercials advertising vacation destinations, restaurants, etc., etc. I know it’s silly to say that, because things WILL eventually return to normal.

For me, though, this whole thing really isn’t all that surprising. It seems that since 2K, things seem to be happening more and more, on a bigger and bigger scale. What I find annoying in recent years is when government and news people use the term “It’s the new normal”. Like they’re saying, “Things are getting worse, so we’d all just better get used to it, ‘cause that’s the way it’s going to be from here on out.” It’s always used in the negative and never applied to anything positive.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 pm
I realize there are a shortage of test kits. Considering how sick I am I was still surprised they didn’t test me. Treating it as bronchitis for now.

It is a mess. They say they will cover the cost of the test but you still need to go to the doctor for a referral. You gotta pay for that. For one reason or another lots of folks aren’t gonna go. All this hoopla and in the end this thing might still just run it’s normal course. We’ll see.

It will be interesting to see what they do to make financial compensation. I work in the ski industry and we were forced to close a month early. Disney? Skiing? Music? Sports? Travel and lodging? Restaurants and bars? The average joe? The list goes on. They ain’t bailing everybody out.
Hoping you get well soon.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

How did I double post?
Last edited by James Y on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Oops, triple post... :o

Jim
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wife and I are working from home now. And yes, now that the border is shut I won’t be picking up any knives to bring home to Canada anytime soon.

Stay safe friends.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 pm
I know of one ER where (I'm not making this up) they stopped testing people because they were all coming back positive. I feel like the insanity is setting in.
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

Today I was laid off over the phone after 23 years of service. I plan on celebrating tomorrow with a local spyderco purchase. Hang in there everyone! It will get better.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

There's a lot less traffic out on the roads...Feels like it did before the city got large in the late 90's with the last boom.. Had to get bloodwork done for my annual. went to the lab, only two people in the waiting room..
The city feels like it did during the 2013 flooding. People are being careful about distancing, but I have not seen any fights or altercations in the grocery stores. Even saw one lady who was going to take the last 2 five pound bags of flour offer one to the woman behind her who also wanted some. Same with hand sanitizer and TP - Were chatting to one young man as we wheeled our carts to the parking lot, told him looked like they were out, he said he got some and did we need one badly? Also lots of folks offering to pick up stuff for those self-isolating, we did a grocery run for a neighbour who just returned from Mexico and was locking himself in for two weeks.. Our neighbour next door brought us some stuff after we mentioned we would have to try to make another run (she works in a small town north of us and their stores are not as affected by the run on goods. Yesterday the grocery store had all of what we wanted, cashiers were masked and gloved...
Very quiet in the city, but so far, relatively calm. Everyone seems to be taking things well and pulling together.
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Today headed out to the local registry office to get the plate sticker for the car - figured we'd get it a bit ahead of time, as when we called they said they might be closing up shop for some time... No traffic, empty parking lots.. stopped in at the supermarket in the same mall. They had a good bit of stock. but were rationing TP purchase - one per customer.. Picked up the essentials - kitty litter and cat food, then off to the liquor store across the mall - and got a few boxes of JT chardonnay - they were running low on stock :)
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Currently working from home. Croatia did a 30-day lockdown, starting from yesterday.
People can still go out on the street, but maintain 6 feet distance.
Only food and medical companies work.
Expecting complete lockdown in the next 3 weeks.
Will definitely have to find some exercises for home (if anyone has any program, please do share).
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

DRs have found that hydroxychloroquine works to defeat the virus. We need to manufacture this ASAP until we find a vaccine.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

DO NOT go out and get the virus!!!! A vaccine is no where in sight.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/