Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
legOFwhat?

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by legOFwhat? »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:06 am
I have been cutting my own hair for many years as well. Gave it a number 3 about a week ago and gave my son a number 2. It is tick season here so I gotta keep it short. Already pulled four of those evil things off me this month. Probably about due for my annual blood test and month of antibiotics. :( :mad:

So how has Coronavirus affected me? Well, I am still WAY more freaked out about tick born illnesses than Coronavirus. There was a vaccine for Lyme years ago but it got pulled from the market for some complicated reasons. I wish we were as focused on finding a vaccine or cure for Lyme as we are for Covid.
I'm with you Darby! Pulled two of the smallest ticks I've ever seen this weekend, the smallest not much bigger than the leg hair it was beside of :eek:
Evil, evil, creepy, evil things :mad:

Neighbor, last year had one removed from a place on the human body that shouldn't see daylight :eek:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:41 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:06 am
I have been cutting my own hair for many years as well. Gave it a number 3 about a week ago and gave my son a number 2. It is tick season here so I gotta keep it short. Already pulled four of those evil things off me this month. Probably about due for my annual blood test and month of antibiotics. :( :mad:

So how has Coronavirus affected me? Well, I am still WAY more freaked out about tick born illnesses than Coronavirus. There was a vaccine for Lyme years ago but it got pulled from the market for some complicated reasons. I wish we were as focused on finding a vaccine or cure for Lyme as we are for Covid.
I'm with you Darby! Pulled two of the smallest ticks I've ever seen this weekend, the smallest not much bigger than the leg hair it was beside of :eek:
Evil, evil, creepy, evil things :mad:

Neighbor, last year had one removed from a place on the human body that shouldn't see daylight :eek:
I had one dug into my favorite body part. I’ll leave it at that. I think that one gave me Ehrlichiosis. That was an unpleasant 4 weeks of doxycycline. Week one and two were fine. Week three was getting unpleasant. No amount of probiotics could keep my digestive tract happy through week four. Ughh...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:29 am
I had one dug into my favorite body part. I’ll leave it at that. I think that one gave me Ehrlichiosis. That was an unpleasant 4 weeks of doxycycline. Week one and two were fine. Week three was getting unpleasant. No amount of probiotics could keep my digestive tract happy through week four. Ughh...
:eek: I can't even....

I was going to try and crack a joke but since today is your Birthday I'll leave it be :p BTW Happy Birthday Darby!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Oh snap!!! Joe missed a big bday today!!

Happy Birthday Darby!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Looks like NC is going into a scaled back Phase 2 starting Friday so we will see what that looks like.

Might be able to get a haircut. :cool:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Haircuts became available here on Monday. I'm really surprised that there aren't more lines. It's like people are still worried enough that they aren't rushing out to get their haircut, which is weird because I see some pretty shaggy folks at this point.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Haircuts became available here on Monday. I'm really surprised that there aren't more lines. It's like people are still worried enough that they aren't rushing out to get their haircut, which is weird because I see some pretty shaggy folks at this point.

Getting mine next week. :D

Had to make an appointment.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I have long hair and haven't even had a trim in years. No rush for me!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
James Y

Post by James Y »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am
I have long hair and haven't even had a trim in years. No rush for me!
My older brother (he’s 66 years old) has kept his hair long and a full beard since the late 1960s/early ‘70s. It’s more gray now than black, and he only trims now and then to keep it manageable.

Although I prefer to have the opposite look from my brother (IMO, short hair is more comfortable), I have grown my hair long before, so I’m not in a hurry, either. Not to mention that for hair to actually become ‘long’ takes awhile, even if your hair grows fast, like mine does.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I've worked from home for 15+ years, so day to day has been mostly the same. Just cannot get to the range when I want, or wander the isles at HD or Lowes.

For those worried about haircuts, self-inflicted buzzcuts for the win! Freedom!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 pm
For those worried about haircuts, self-inflicted buzzcuts for the win! Freedom!
My wife has been cutting my hair in the back yard. She doesn't trust me to cut her hair, though, so our 11 year old daughter is doing that.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t trust myself enough to even buzzcut my own hair. I’m living alone, and if I screw something up, I’m stuck with it.

Jim
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I remain honestly amazed at how little it has negatively affected mine. I know that being retired with Social Security and a decent, dependable, pension is one of the main things that make that possible. Living alone and being relatively asocial certainly doesn't hurt, and may even help, as it minimizes exposure. As does the fact that, aside from groceries and guns, I've done most of my shopping online for years so no major change in that aspect of my life was needed. Living where I've lived for nearly nine years certainly hasn't hurt either as the government here has not used the fear of COVID-19 as an excuse to violate the rights of its citizens anywhere near as egregiously as New York has done.

One of the gun shops I visit asks that you use hand sanitizer when you enter, but other than that, no real change to shopping there. Ranges are leaving alternate lanes open, but I normally shoot when they're fairly empty, so haven't had to wait for a lane yet.

Do get amused when I seeing someone driving alone or walking a dog while wearing a mask in my community. Depending on the car or dog, I either chalk those up to virtue signalling or to paranoia.

As for grocery shopping, I'm not sure what to think when I see someone wearing a mask and glove while going the wrong way in one of the new "one way" aisles in the supermarket. If they're worried enough to wear the garb, or even just virtue signalling, you'd think they'd also obey the signs. :rolleyes: On the plus side, haven't had my ankles bumped by a shopping cart lately. :)

Also on the plus side, the only time my doorbell as rung in the last two months has been when a package was delivered. Not a single solicitor of any kind. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

05/22/2020 - Visit to Loyola Hospital

I'm just back from the Loyola hospital in Maywood, Illinois, where I had to see a heart Dr. They are not allowing anyone who is not a patient at the hospital in to the hospital.  There are a number of very large signs outside the hospital (4ft x 8ft) and inside warning people that they will not be allowed in.  The hospital was very empty.

About midway in to the hospital at the main entrance to the building I was in, they had a soft barricade set up.  They had a security guard and at least 5 staff there waiting to take my temperature with a hand held laser and gave me a shirt sticker with the date just below the word "SCREENED" to show I had tested negative for a fever. There were a number of questions regarding where I had been, and whether or not I thought that I potentially had the virus. For contact tracing, I had to give my name, address, phone number, the name of the Dr I was seeing, and tell them where I was headed.  I was very early as there was no traffic on the way in to Chicago.  They took me immediately once I got to the Heart Hospital.

One Dr asked me where I bought my mask at(3M FF Fx 402 Elastomeric Full Face Mask with P-100 filters), and I told them when I saw the pandemic taking off in China, and I ordered from Amazon back in January.

Once in the Dr's office, they wanted to know many things related to the virus and went down a list of factors that would identify me as a COVID-19 carrier.  They asked who in my family was going to the supermarket.  The Dr knew of my mother from prior visits and asked how she was.  Upon leaving he said to call immediately if either one of us developed a fever or cough.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

45A39193-6451-41DB-B6DC-8C6BCED9C2AA.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

The pandemic & the restrictions put in place to control its spread has affected my daily life in a lot of ways big & small, although I am very fortunate that I remain employed through the declared state of medical emergency. The restrictions have introduced some difficulties & inconveniences in my routines, but it's nothing like the hardships being faced by those who have lost their jobs, those who have lost loved ones to the disease & its complications, or those who have had problems accessing health services because of the prioritization of COVID-related cases. I try to keep things in perspective & endeavour to be grateful everyday.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Right now my wife and I are actually enjoying our first meal in public since this all began! At one of our favorite restaurants that reopened outside seating with full service just yesterday. Tables are 6 feet apart. It's a beautiful day and a **** good feeling to feel normal right now :D
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Here in Raleigh, NC they just passed that they will require masks to be worn.

Don't know when it will start, but it will be soon.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

We have to wear masks on every job site nowadays. I don’t mind it other then the fact that I wear glasses and it fogs them up and I can’t see ****! Not sure how I’m going to get around this yet...
Josh
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too Josh! It's been really humid here, which makes it worse.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032