Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sure but I also worry that I am gonna get sent home from work because it is allergy season. I am afraid to cough or sniffle around the wrong person.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:32 pm
Sure but I also worry that I am gonna get sent home from work because it is allergy season. I am afraid to cough or sniffle around the wrong person.
Same here. I know of a few friends, myself included here that allergies kick our butts for a few weeks. We've all been here a long time now, but you never know how people will react right now. My work is being extra cautious, starting late this week they are providing facemasks and making it a mandatory piece of PPE. The following week in the parking lot before entering work, we have to have our temperature taken with some infrared device before we can enter the mill. Bizarro world just keeps getting more bizarre.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:38 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:32 pm
Same here. I know of a few friends, myself included here that allergies kick our butts for a few weeks. We've all been here a long time now, but you never know how people will react right now. My work is being extra cautious, starting late this week they are providing facemasks and making it a mandatory piece of PPE. The following week in the parking lot before entering work, we have to have our temperature taken with some infrared device before we can enter the mill. Bizarro world just keeps getting more bizarre.

Same here, every year..

I do think about now also....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ya know, COVID-19 has got me to actually have my groceries delivered to my house, for the 1st time ever.
I was super suprised to even learn that was possible up here.
But, I got on Instacart, and by George, I'll have some groceries delivered on my front porch before 2pm today.
I think the fees and suggested tip added up close to $20
But ****, that's well worth it imo.
I might get used to this groceries delivered to the house deal :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I was generally house bound anyway what with my mobility issues and the frequent snow and ice about. So, in that regard I’m not being effected so much. I am enjoying increased time with my wife and daughter. I am writing more, reading more, learning more.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
attila

Post by attila »

(Since I posted this in the wrong thread, you may be seeing this post for a second time. Sorry.)

I’ve been single parenting a toddler in potty training and a 4 month old for all but the last 1-2 hours of every day since this situation started.

As tiresome as my lot seems at times, my wife has worked from home 10-14 hours EVERY DAY for the last 3 weeks. Her company is working like crazy to adapt to no in-person sales. People are getting furloughed left and right these days, and she is wondering how long she’ll have a paycheck and how her colleagues are probably struggling without paychecks. It’s a really emotional time for her and her colleagues.

In addition to the above, I received an email yesterday from my work that some of us will be getting remote access and will be expected to do work work. I no longer have 8 hours per day to do work work, so it’s gonna get interesting soon. At least I won’t have to commute, so there’s that positive note...

To sum it up, projects are all on hold, and pretty much nothing besides chores are getting done.

What I’m very glad for is getting to experience my kids grow and develop instead of seeing them only a little bit before or after my shift at work.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

attila wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm
(Since I posted this in the wrong thread, you may be seeing this post for a second time. Sorry.)

I’ve been single parenting a toddler in potty training and a 4 month old for all but the last 1-2 hours of every day since this situation started.

As tiresome as my lot seems at times, my wife has worked from home 10-14 hours EVERY DAY for the last 3 weeks. Her company is working like crazy to adapt to no in-person sales. People are getting furloughed left and right these days, and she is wondering how long she’ll have a paycheck and how her colleagues are probably struggling without paychecks. It’s a really emotional time for her and her colleagues.

In addition to the above, I received an email yesterday from my work that some of us will be getting remote access and will be expected to do work work. I no longer have 8 hours per day to do work work, so it’s gonna get interesting soon. At least I won’t have to commute, so there’s that positive note...

To sum it up, projects are all on hold, and pretty much nothing besides chores are getting done.

What I’m very glad for is getting to experience my kids grow and develop instead of seeing them only a little bit before or after my shift at work.
You nailed it. This time home with the kids is priceless.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Everyone approaches this challenge from a different perspective. Let’s face facts, we can survive or face the alternative. Let’s survive and come out a stronger people. Besides I have a few more knives to collect.🔪
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

My company is considered "essential business" but everyone has been working from home as much as possible. They started enforcing a mask policy this week. We're doing our part :D :
98788498.jpg
Stay safe everyone. I hope we all weather this situation and make it out stronger and better for it collectively.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha, love it!! That's some good humor right there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It has affected me in many ways. I miss meeting friends, going to church, and much more. Like others here, I’m getting groceries only once a week. I’m not working much (solo construction work) but I’m slowly prepping a project in my shop for a pergola rebuild. I need to protect my wife, who is much older and gets out of breath easily even when well. So we are isolating pretty severely. It has been a very wet spring here, which is great for the plants but adds to our cabin fever. We don’t fancy being out in the rain, and there’s nowhere to go, really. We aren’t spending much money, and I refuse to look at my 201K. We are eating healthy home-cooked meals every day! I’m grateful for a safe home, a loving wife, and the financial stability to ride this out.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I work for an online dealer that sells restaurant equipment and supplies, basically everything you'd need to run a restaurant besides the food. We've been seeing a pretty sharp decline in sales since all of the shelter in place orders across the nation. We furloughed 40 workers three weeks ago and just this week we furloughed another 60 and I was one of those 60 furloughed workers.

Right now I'm just kind of figuring out what to do. I've got to file for unemployment on Monday, I've heard filling has been a nightmare, but here's hoping it wont be. We took our daughter out of daycare March 16th and just because of the way it works we've been having to pay this whole time to keep her spot, it was a one year waiting list to get her in there so we've been trying to keep the spot for her in hopes everything returns to normal after the shelter in place order is lifted. It probably makes sense to take her out and save the money at this point though.

I guess on a positive note, I'll be cleaning up the garage and hopefully making a knife or two during this downtime. Maybe we should start a hobby thread to show what we've been working on during the covid outbreak?

And on a very positive note me and my family are safe and healthy.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ughh... We just extended our lockdown to May 15th! Ughh..
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
James Y

Post by James Y »

I wonder how many people will come out of this after it’s over with varying types of OCD around constantly disinfecting everything. And I wonder how many “super viruses” will evolve from people over-sanitizing things that might already be sanitary enough.

I can also imagine that, even after this is over, any cough or sneeze in a public place might cause a minor panic, like a smaller-scale version of when a gunshot is heard in a mall or somewhere. Even if the cough or sneeze is due to allergies, or drinking water too fast that “goes down the wrong pipe”.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 am
I wonder how many people will come out of this after it’s over with varying types of OCD around constantly disinfecting everything. And I wonder how many “super viruses” will evolve from people over-sanitizing things that might already be sanitary enough.

I can also imagine that, even after this is over, any cough or sneeze in a public place might cause a minor panic, like a smaller-scale version of when a gunshot is heard in a mall or somewhere. Even if the cough or sneeze is due to allergies, or drinking water too fast that “goes down the wrong pipe”.

Jim
Think I mightta already had a dose of OCD before this happened.
No matter where I go, I always wash my hands when I get home
Also, everyone that knows me ( and my little family ) knows not to come over if they have even a slight cold or just getting over a cold. Is that OCD?
I came by it honest. I was raised that way.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:

Jim

I always washed my hands when coming back from the store or public places.

So that part didn't change for me anyway.
James Y

Post by James Y »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:05 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Think I mightta already had a dose of OCD before this happened.
No matter where I go, I always wash my hands when I get home
Also, everyone that knows me ( and my little family ) knows not to come over if they have even a slight cold or just getting over a cold. Is that OCD?
I came by it honest. I was raised that way.
I know that I’ve had OCD around certain things since I was a kid, way before I had any idea what OCD was, including hand washing and being around sick people. Not as bad as some people have OCD, but decades before this COVID-19 thing, I’ve averaged washing my hands around 20 to 30 times a day, on a normal day.

But I can foresee some people coming out of this pandemic permanently OCD about certain things to another level, whereas they might never have had OCD around anything before, and therefore probably experiencing more stress around it.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:10 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

I always washed my hands when coming back from the store or public places.

So that part didn't change for me anyway.
Same here. Only now I’m disinfecting the surfaces of some of my groceries when I get home. Although I can’t go crazy about it, because it’s hard to find cleaning supplies at the stores now, so I have to conserve the disinfecting supplies that I do have.

But I’m not constantly disinfecting every surface I touch, unless I touched something dirty first.

Jim
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I wash my hands a little more these days but I haven’t changed much. I still live pretty carefree. I lick my fingers when I eat, I eat food after the expiration date, I eat chunks of raw fish off my dirty cleaning table, and if I drop food on the ground I pick it up and eat it. I think it’s good to keep your immune system trained and ready. My theory is that our overly sterilized lives are making the human species weaker not stronger. But what do I know.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am
I wash my hands a little more these days but I haven’t changed much. I still live pretty carefree. I lick my fingers when I eat, I eat food after the expiration date, I eat chunks of raw fish off my dirty cleaning table, and if I drop food on the ground I pick it up and eat it. I think it’s good to keep your immune system trained and ready. My theory is that our overly sterilized lives are making the human species weaker not stronger. But what do I know.
I know an immunologist who agrees with you.

But at the moment, I'm still trying not to pick up the virus and become a (healthy, strong immune system) asymptomatic carrier. I'd hate to pass it to my parents without even knowing I had it, which is definitely a possibility with this one.