Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 3999
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:07 am

Masks are hard to find. I say leave them to all the people working in hospitals, dr offices, the actual sick people, etc. Chances are you're supposed to be social distancing and pretty much locked down anyways. Stay home and you won't need a mask.
Currently have 18 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels. Constantly adding and purging!

-Rick

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby wrdwrght » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:38 am

I thought this thread was about our daily life.

I get that some here have preconditions and at-risk dependents. That is a terrible worry I wish on no one.

But advice springing from such worry changes this thread’s intent and puts it on boil. Other threads on this virus boiled and got turned off.

Back on topic, my days of self-isolation have begun to suffer from sameness, in spite of (or perhaps because of) my dogs, my binge-watching, my reading, and my wife’s spectacular cooking.

My highlight of the past week was taking my failed snow-thrower in for service, then puzzling how to decontaminate my venture into the real world. And over the weekend, we took our first Instacart delivery and puzzled how to decontaminate the real world’s entry into our house.

Judging by the news, decontamination is a practice many do not, cannot, or care not to understand. This judgment sees me spend a lot of my COVID-19 news-gathering time grinding my teeth over the utter inadequacy of America’s schooling.
Marc <— a mere data-point, not an Influencer.

INCOMING: 52100 Military Model. ON RADAR: SwayBack; SE Pacific Salt2; S90V Chief sprint-run; Z-Wear PM Shaman sprint-run. IN DREAMS: Elmax Military Model; Lil’ Native slipjoint; 52100 Shaman; Vanax Chief.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby Ankerson » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:50 am

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:38 am
I thought this thread was about our daily life.

I get that some here have preconditions and at-risk dependents. That is a terrible worry I wish on no one.

But advice springing from such worry changes this thread’s intent and puts it on boil. Other threads on this virus boiled and got turned off.

Back on topic, my days of self-isolation have begun to suffer from sameness, in spite of (or perhaps because of) my dogs, my binge-watching, my reading, and my wife’s spectacular cooking.

My highlight of the past week was taking my failed snow-thrower in for service, then puzzling how to decontaminate my venture into the real world. And over the weekend, we took our first Instacart delivery and puzzled how to decontaminate the real world’s entry into our house.

Judging by the news, decontamination is a practice many do not, cannot, or care not to understand. This judgment sees me spend a lot of my COVID-19 news-gathering time grinding my teeth over the utter inadequacy of America’s schooling.

Get a spray bottle if you don't have one, a good one that will last with chemicals in it.

Mix 4:1 water and bleach in the bottle, that's 4 parts water to one part bleach.

Just use that to spray down the outside of the door and walkway etc.


Image

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby wrdwrght » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 am

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:50 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:38 am
I thought this thread was about our daily life.

I get that some here have preconditions and at-risk dependents. That is a terrible worry I wish on no one.

But advice springing from such worry changes this thread’s intent and puts it on boil. Other threads on this virus boiled and got turned off.

Back on topic, my days of self-isolation have begun to suffer from sameness, in spite of (or perhaps because of) my dogs, my binge-watching, my reading, and my wife’s spectacular cooking.

My highlight of the past week was taking my failed snow-thrower in for service, then puzzling how to decontaminate my venture into the real world. And over the weekend, we took our first Instacart delivery and puzzled how to decontaminate the real world’s entry into our house.

Judging by the news, decontamination is a practice many do not, cannot, or care not to understand. This judgment sees me spend a lot of my COVID-19 news-gathering time grinding my teeth over the utter inadequacy of America’s schooling.

Get a spray bottle if you don't have one, a good one that will last with chemicals in it.

Mix 4:1 water and bleach in the bottle, that's 4 parts water to one part bleach.

Just use that to spray down the outside of the door and walkway etc.


Image
I was being rhetorical.

STOP IT with the advice.

This thread isn’t asking you for it.
Marc <— a mere data-point, not an Influencer.

INCOMING: 52100 Military Model. ON RADAR: SwayBack; SE Pacific Salt2; S90V Chief sprint-run; Z-Wear PM Shaman sprint-run. IN DREAMS: Elmax Military Model; Lil’ Native slipjoint; 52100 Shaman; Vanax Chief.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby Ankerson » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:18 am

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:50 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:38 am
I thought this thread was about our daily life.

I get that some here have preconditions and at-risk dependents. That is a terrible worry I wish on no one.

But advice springing from such worry changes this thread’s intent and puts it on boil. Other threads on this virus boiled and got turned off.

Back on topic, my days of self-isolation have begun to suffer from sameness, in spite of (or perhaps because of) my dogs, my binge-watching, my reading, and my wife’s spectacular cooking.

My highlight of the past week was taking my failed snow-thrower in for service, then puzzling how to decontaminate my venture into the real world. And over the weekend, we took our first Instacart delivery and puzzled how to decontaminate the real world’s entry into our house.

Judging by the news, decontamination is a practice many do not, cannot, or care not to understand. This judgment sees me spend a lot of my COVID-19 news-gathering time grinding my teeth over the utter inadequacy of America’s schooling.

Get a spray bottle if you don't have one, a good one that will last with chemicals in it.

Mix 4:1 water and bleach in the bottle, that's 4 parts water to one part bleach.

Just use that to spray down the outside of the door and walkway etc.


Image
I was being rhetorical.

STOP IT with the advice.

This thread isn’t asking you for it.


Then don't ask a question then.... :rolleyes:

*EDITED* - TazKristi

We are all in the same boat.....

And I will post what I want as long as it's within the forum rules.

Mike Blue
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 6:52 pm
Location: up the Okanogan river WA

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby Mike Blue » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:59 am

*EDITED - Funny, but not family-friendly.* - TazKristi

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby wrdwrght » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:22 am

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:18 am
Then don't ask a question then.... :rolleyes:

**EDITED* - TazKristi

We are all in the same boat.....

And I will post what I want as long as it's within the forum rules.
Interesting response. Let’s discuss privately.
Marc <— a mere data-point, not an Influencer.

INCOMING: 52100 Military Model. ON RADAR: SwayBack; SE Pacific Salt2; S90V Chief sprint-run; Z-Wear PM Shaman sprint-run. IN DREAMS: Elmax Military Model; Lil’ Native slipjoint; 52100 Shaman; Vanax Chief.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby Ankerson » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:25 am

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:22 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:18 am
Then don't ask a question then.... :rolleyes:

*EDITED* - TazKristi

We are all in the same boat.....

And I will post what I want as long as it's within the forum rules.
Interesting response. Let’s discuss privately.

No need....

User avatar
demoncase
Member
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am
Location: England- Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby demoncase » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm working 100% from home at the moment- whole of the UK is in lockdown.

It's like New Year's Day every day out there at the moment- very few people moving about and everyone keeping their distance
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3941
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby TomAiello » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

In an effort to lighten the mood:

The current pandemic has given me this joke to share (not original--but shared with permission):


We all have Schrodinger's Virus now.
Because we cannot get tested, we don't know whether we have it or not.
We have to act as if we have the virus so we don't give it to others.
We have to act as if we've never had the virus because if we didn't have it we're not immune.
Therefore; we both have and do not have the virus. Thus, Schrodinger's Virus.
Last edited by TomAiello on Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby cabfrank » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:59 pm

Let's not get another thread closed, okay?

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3941
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby TomAiello » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:19 pm

I actually have a friend who is "quarantining" his groceries. He goes shopping for his family, then leaves all the groceries in a special box in his garage for three days before he unloads them, so that if they picked up any virus at the store, the virus dies off before he brings them in the house.

We're not going that far, but I am leaving our Amazon packages alone for a day or two before opening them. And we're always washing hands every time we come into the house--even if we just stepped onto the porch to grab the mail.

Other than that, the kids are adjusting pretty well to remote schooling, and my wife is going crazy thinking up lots of home improvement projects for us all. My kids have also gotten their friends to play board games and such via internet video chat connections, which is pretty cool.

This is actually a whole lot easier now than it would have been even 20 years ago. Technology means that being physically isolated no longer means being totally isolated.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby Ankerson » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:25 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:19 pm
I actually have a friend who is "quarantining" his groceries. He goes shopping for his family, then leaves all the groceries in a special box in his garage for three days before he unloads them, so that if they picked up any virus at the store, the virus dies off before he brings them in the house.

We're not going that far, but I am leaving our Amazon packages alone for a day or two before opening them. And we're always washing hands every time we come into the house--even if we just stepped onto the porch to grab the mail.

Other than that, the kids are adjusting pretty well to remote schooling, and my wife is going crazy thinking up lots of home improvement projects for us all. My kids have also gotten their friends to play board games and such via internet video chat connections, which is pretty cool.

This is actually a whole lot easier now than it would have been even 20 years ago. Technology means that being physically isolated no longer means being totally isolated.

Might not be a bad idea, I dunno.


Maybe unpack them and just wipe them down with alcohol just to be sure?


When I get them I use hand sanitizer before I take them out of the bags and then wash my hands really well before I put them away.


I have been seeing people lately in the stores shopping with masks and gloves on.

So I just dunno. Might be a good idea or not yet? :confused:

I try and go out as little as possible to the store and don't spend much time in the store when I do go.

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby The Meat man » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Other than church services being cancelled for the foreseeable future, not much so far.
- Connor

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby The Meat man » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm
In an effort to lighten the mood:

The current pandemic has given me this joke to share (not original--but shared with permission):


We all have Schrodinger's Virus now.
Because we cannot get tested, we don't know whether we have it or not.
We have to act as if we have the virus so we don't give it to others.
We have to act as if we've never had the virus because if we didn't have it we're not immune.
Therefore; we both have and do not have the virus. Thus, Schrodinger's Virus.
Ha ha! :D :D
- Connor

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

James Y
Member
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby James Y » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:13 pm

I’ve been going shopping about one day a week lately. I go right around opening time (there are a couple good stores here that open at 7:00 AM). There aren’t many people there yet, and the stores are probably as clean as they’ll ever be for the day. I wear vinyl gloves when I go shopping. I make it quick, and even if I need to go to that second store, I’m usually home before 8:30 AM. Then I’m done shopping for the day and don’t need to think about it again for a week or so.

I always use a produce brush to scrub produce while I’m washing it, including things like oranges, etc. I’ve thought about the disinfecting groceries thing, and usually wipe off bottles, plastic packaging, etc., with disinfectant when I get home. Even before all of this, I’ve already had mild OCD around hand washing and basic hygiene since I was a kid. IMO, it pays to be mindful, especially at this time, BUT if you’re not careful you can also drive yourself crazy. So I’m taking this seriously, exercising caution, doing the best that I can and taking steps to avoid getting this thing, but I’m not buying into the fear.

As far as being secluded, TBH it really doesn’t bother me. I have no wife or kids, so there are no worries about how to keep others in the household from going stir crazy. I know some people who can’t tolerate a single day of solitude. Do I want this to last forever? Heck no! I love my freedom to come and go as I please without over-worrying, and I like working. I hope that someday (before too long) this thing becomes a memory...a cautionary memory, but something in the past nonetheless.

I wonder if some people will be affected emotionally for life, developing OCD around obsessively cleaning everything (and other things), even long after this virus has been dealt with. Then they/we will be called “the generation that lived through the COVID-19 pandemic,” perhaps similar to the way people refer to those who were extra-frugal because they lived through the Great Depression.

Jim

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby Ankerson » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm

James Y wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:13 pm
I’ve been going shopping about one day a week lately. I go right around opening time (there are a couple good stores here that open at 7:00 AM). There aren’t many people there yet, and the stores are probably as clean as they’ll ever be for the day. I wear vinyl gloves when I go shopping. I make it quick, and even if I need to go to that second store, I’m usually home before 8:30 AM. Then I’m done shopping for the day and don’t need to think about it again for a week or so.

I always use a produce brush to scrub produce while I’m washing it, including things like oranges, etc. I’ve thought about the disinfecting groceries thing, and usually wipe off bottles, plastic packaging, etc., with disinfectant when I get home. Even before all of this, I’ve already had mild OCD around hand washing and basic hygiene since I was a kid. IMO, it pays to be mindful, especially at this time, BUT if you’re not careful you can also drive yourself crazy. So I’m taking this seriously, exercising caution, doing the best that I can and taking steps to avoid getting this thing, but I’m not buying into the fear.

As far as being secluded, TBH it really doesn’t bother me. I have no wife or kids, so there are no worries about how to keep others in the household from going stir crazy. I know some people who can’t tolerate a single day of solitude. Do I want this to last forever? Heck no! I love my freedom to come and go as I please without over-worrying, and I like working. I hope that someday (before too long) this thing becomes a memory...a cautionary memory, but something in the past nonetheless.

I wonder if some people will be affected emotionally for life, developing OCD around obsessively cleaning everything (and other things), even long after this virus has been dealt with. Then they/we will be called “the generation that lived through the COVID-19 pandemic,” perhaps similar to the way people refer to those who lived through the Great Depression.

Jim

Jim,


Doing the same thing, once a week at most here too. :(

Was used to going out every other day to the store, but I don't have to do that anymore.

But it was nice in some ways and I do try to get outside with my camera to the park some.

But that's getting iffy now too. :(

Now that I really can be away from the house for the 1st time in over 5 years..... But with this going on now I really can't and that's sad for me. :(

This thng can end anytime, sooner the better IMO as long as it's done and safe for everyone.

Being a good citizen and doing what I am told and that's all anyone can do at this point I suppose.


Jim

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby SF Native » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:25 pm

I have been seeing people lately in the stores shopping with masks and gloves on.

So I just dunno. Might be a good idea or not yet? :confused:
Just went to the store and a work meeting. I’m finally used to wearing a mask when I’m out. I really don’t think I need to filter, but it sure keeps me from touching my face. Wash hands when I get home and remove mask.

The darn vinyl gloves I bought have no stretch and I can’t get my hands in then. I might just get some cloth ones from the hardware store and use those. Then right into the washing machine.

The store is doing things right. They have a bouncer at the door. No outside bags allowed. He wipes down the cart for you. I saw another store had one of those portable hand washing stations like you see at the port-a-johns. Right in front before coming in. And a line. Only so many people can come in. It’s a weird way to pull together as Americans, but it should help save lives.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby Ankerson » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:55 pm

SF Native wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:39 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:25 pm

I have been seeing people lately in the stores shopping with masks and gloves on.

So I just dunno. Might be a good idea or not yet? :confused:
Just went to the store and a work meeting. I’m finally used to wearing a mask when I’m out. I really don’t think I need to filter, but it sure keeps me from touching my face. Wash hands when I get home and remove mask.

The darn vinyl gloves I bought have no stretch and I can’t get my hands in then. I might just get some cloth ones from the hardware store and use those. Then right into the washing machine.

The store is doing things right. They have a bouncer at the door. No outside bags allowed. He wipes down the cart for you. I saw another store had one of those portable hand washing stations like you see at the port-a-johns. Right in front before coming in. And a line. Only so many people can come in. It’s a weird way to pull together as Americans, but it should help save lives.

Try and get some exam gloves, they work very well, I have boxes of them that I used anyway.

Still not sure about the mask thing myself, I have one with filters, but I just dunno yet.

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5279
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Postby The Mastiff » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 pm

The sun is almost strong enough here to decontaminate packages on my front porch. I have never yet had one stolen and I've lived here since the middle 90's.

The ultraviolet rays are one of the best decon tools around when the sun is out and strong enough. As those of us that have seen plenty of sunburns on cloudy days know it shows those rays are always present to a degree as long as the sun is up even on overcast days. Ultraviolet rays are what sterilizes laundry on clotheslines. Recall they used to bring patients outside to help heal wounds as well as helping them get over the flu and other maladies back before antibiotics. Naturally at this time of year everything outside gets a free layer of green dust from the huge blossoms of pollen . :)


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bloke, The Meat man and 11 guests