Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderNut

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by SpyderNut »

Other than having to cancel a few medical appointments and a surgery, it hasn’t bothered me too much. Not yet, anyway. What does bother me is that our local authorities decided to close all of our restaurants today—until early/mid-April. I love my food, so this was definitely a setback. At least we have plenty of toilet paper, lol.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Being old, my lifestyle isn't too different than sheltering in place except for no target practice, no sit down restaurants, and empty shelves at the supermarkets.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 pm
Other than having to cancel a few medical appointments and a surgery, it hasn’t bothered me too much. Not yet, anyway. What does bother me is that our local authorities decided to close all of our restaurants today—until early/mid-April. I love my food, so this was definitely a setback. At least we have plenty of toilet paper, lol.
I hear you "SpyderNut". I love my weekly trips to CULVERS and to Popeye's Chicken stand. But I decided the other day that restaurants and particularly fast food joints are off my itinerary completely until something gets resolved concerning this public health threat.

I'm going to restrict my grocery shopping to Hy Vee and Aldi. Both stores seem to be cleaner than most of the others. I don't think I'll even do carry out Chinese or any Sushi either>> and I do like my weekly Sushi. But I have no idea if these people in these types of restaurants practice good sanitation. I even refused an invitation to go to a St. Patrick's Day dinner of Corned Beef & Cabbage>> and that's one of my very favorites. But caution needs to be taken.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Well, we are on mandatory lockdown for 3 weeks in sf Bay Area. I’m not essential enough to go to the office for work. Working from home. Still have enough work to keep me busy. I’m more worried about what happens after the 3 weeks. 3 more weeks? They going to starve me to death and kill the business I have spent 20 years building up? And I consider myself luckier than most. No idea how people living paycheck to paycheck will make it through this.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Still only 2 people reported infected in my county from yesterday (elderly husband and wife) Though NY state as a whole had the cases jump over 400 from yesterday alone. Like elsewhere, pretty much everything is shut down. My job at the papermill is still up and running. We're such a cash cow for this area and all the charity work and recycling efforts. If Trump or Cuomo don't shut us down, I see us working through this. We have 3 paper machines in the mill. When up and running with no issues, each machine makes $10,000/hr worth of profits...the big wigs are far too greedy to pull the plug.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:45 am
Well, we are on mandatory lockdown for 3 weeks in sf Bay Area. I’m not essential enough to go to the office for work. Working from home. Still have enough work to keep me busy. I’m more worried about what happens after the 3 weeks. 3 more weeks? They going to starve me to death and kill the business I have spent 20 years building up? And I consider myself luckier than most. No idea how people living paycheck to paycheck will make it through this.
Great to hear from you SF Native :) I've heard that mayor of Frisco i.e. London Breed has made quite a few enemies in the past 10 days or so with her curfews and other crazy mandates :confused: . I've also heard that governor Gavin Newsome is becoming kind of a dictator himself :rolleyes:

Here in Missouri it hasn't got anywhere near that bad but it is not safe to go to the stores alone. We are having fights break out over TOILET PAPER and other not so important items. Well I guess people will quit giving these "preppers" and survivalists a hard time anymore. One big problem you guys have in California is the huge population>> it's going to make it very difficult to get medical help if things get out of hand. Keep us informed and I'll sure keep you and your's in my prayers.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:19 pm
SF Native wrote:
Great to hear from you SF Native :) I've heard that mayor of Frisco i.e. London Breed has made quite a few enemies in the past 10 days or so with her curfews and other crazy mandates :confused: . I've also heard that governor Gavin Newsome is becoming kind of a dictator himself :rolleyes:

Here in Missouri it hasn't got anywhere near that bad but it is not safe to go to the stores alone. We are having fights break out over TOILET PAPER and other not so important items. Well I guess people will quit giving these "preppers" and survivalists a hard time anymore. One big problem you guys have in California is the huge population>> it's going to make it very difficult to get medical help if things get out of hand. Keep us informed and I'll sure keep you and your's in my prayers.
Thanks JD. I actually like London. She and her predecessor, the late Ed Lee, are really just citizens of the city and not “get the cameras on me” like Gavin newsome and his wife at the time, Kim Gylfoile. She is now with the president’s son. See how those two just want to keep moving up in the world in their respective professions.
You are 100% correct on the big population. Our metro area is 7 million people. That a million more than your state of Missouri. It’s hard to estimate the death rate of this thing. I think China was near 2%. If 50% get infected, we are talking about 70,000 deaths. That’s a lot. If we slow it down, we can save more. If all these measures save my parents or my boss or family friends, my neighbor who is doing chemo right now, then Maybe it will be worth it.
Someone recently said “we won’t know if we overreact, but will if we underreact.”
Be safe friends.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:19 pm
SF Native wrote:

Thanks JD. I actually like London. She and her predecessor, the late Ed Lee, are really just citizens of the city and not “get the cameras on me” like Gavin newsome and his wife at the time, Kim Gylfoile. She is now with the president’s son. See how those two just want to keep moving up in the world in their respective professions.
You are 100% correct on the big population. Our metro area is 7 million people. That a million more than your state of Missouri. It’s hard to estimate the death rate of this thing. I think China was near 2%. If 50% get infected, we are talking about 70,000 deaths. That’s a lot. If we slow it down, we can save more. If all these measures save my parents or my boss or family friends, my neighbor who is doing chemo right now, then Maybe it will be worth it.
Someone recently said “we won’t know if we overreact, but will if we underreact.”
Be safe friends.
Thanks for the input SF :) and do keep us posted because I'm not sure we are getting really reliable information as of yet from the corporately controlled mainstream news media. I think the truth being told is that maybe they really don't know as much as they would like us all to believe. I think this one really caught most everyone off guard.

We have a little over 2 million in the Kansas City Metro area which now makes us the biggest metro area in the state of Missouri>> I say that because I tend to believe we might be in the nucleus of the whole thing before it's brought under some type of control. We have a lot of international business travel here in this area which might make us vulnerable. Like I said earlier we have had one death over on the Kansas side of the city. And they aren't releasing much info about it for some strange reason other than the guy did expire from the virus.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Well NC has closed all the bars, restaurants...

So we will see how that goes now...
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Seattle is a ghost town. I can park my service van anywhere I want! My local and only bar in my small town closed last night at midnight for two weeks. Not sure what I’m going to do now...
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:23 pm

We are starting to see the same protocol here in Kansas City, MO too. There are many small businesses operating on a very slim margin to begin with. We are going to see a literal tsunami of bankruptcies if this continues. I know so many good, decent people who are financially stressed as it is and missing two paychecks could conceivably sink their ship.

Yeah on the other thread we had we really never talked much about the financial fallout that is going to take place in pretty short order.

If any of you have investments in the stock market you better bail out while you still got some funds left.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:

City of Greenville's mayor has ordered all restaurants and bars to limit service to drive-thru or curbside pickup. Might help the restaurants, but no news on whether he has the power to suspend the state's open container law, so not sure how that's going to work out for the bars. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:29 pm
Ankerson wrote:

City of Greenville's mayor has ordered all restaurants and bars to limit service to drive-thru or curbside pickup. Might help the restaurants, but no news on whether he has the power to suspend the state's open container law, so not sure how that's going to work out for the bars. ;)
Bars and restaurants are a huge part of Kansas City's business economy. These types of mandates could crush a lot of people's livelihoods.

Even the local hospital here in Blue Springs where I live I've heard has been super crowded for over a week now from what I've been told. And it's probably people with the regular flu virus that believe they have the Corona Virus. It's going to stress the health care systems all over the USA. I'm so afraid of burnout for Doctors and other health care professionals.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

On Monday, Jay Inslee (WA governor) ordered the same thing in WA state. Any place that has any kind of food service is closed until the end of March. Restaurants can still do to-go and delivery, but no dine-in customers. This is state-wide, not just Seattle or King County.

The order also closed most recreation/entertainment (theaters, museums, salons, sporting events, gyms, etc.) and banned gatherings of more than 50 people. And the retail stores that are still open are supposed to have someone manage a "social distancing plan" to keep customers and employees separated.

I expect these restrictions will be extended past the end of the month. K-12 schools had already been ordered closed through April, and this new order will probably be extended to match.

And yes, these closures (on top of weeks of light customer traffic) are going to kill a lot of businesses.

Full details here:

https://medium.com/wagovernor/inslee-an ... 19095b2251

On a more positive note, also on Monday the first human trials of a coronavirus vaccine started in Seattle:

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/c ... s-1st-shot

But as the article notes, even if everything goes well, the vaccine won't be available for widespread use for 12-18 months.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:43 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 pm
I hear you "SpyderNut". I love my weekly trips to CULVERS and to Popeye's Chicken stand. But I decided the other day that restaurants and particularly fast food joints are off my itinerary completely until something gets resolved concerning this public health threat.

I'm going to restrict my grocery shopping to Hy Vee and Aldi. Both stores seem to be cleaner than most of the others. I don't think I'll even do carry out Chinese or any Sushi either>> and I do like my weekly Sushi. But I have no idea if these people in these types of restaurants practice good sanitation. I even refused an invitation to go to a St. Patrick's Day dinner of Corned Beef & Cabbage>> and that's one of my very favorites. But caution needs to be taken.
I agree with you about taking some precautions—especially when it comes to public eateries. For the time being, we’ve been eating a lot of pizza (usually Domino’s).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

As of 3 hours ago it looks like I might be out of work for 2 months.
Might have to go back to painting houses for awhile.
Damnit.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 pm
Damnit.
Man my heart goes out to you Brother. I just heard on an internet radio show ( republicbroadcasing.org) that the anticipated unemployment numbers are going to escalate to about 23% unemployment>> they say that's the worst since 1932 (Great Depression). And now would be a good time to drum up some painting jobs. I did some of those last summer and it caught me up on some medical bills.

I just hope that they can get a handle on this problem in 2 to 3 months hopefullly. We are having stores shut down by the dozens in this area. When you got fights at the local grocery and big box stores like Rip-Mart you know it's getting mean out there. Right now I won't go into any store alone with all the fights that have been occurring here locally.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JD Spydo wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Damnit.
Man my heart goes out to you Brother. I just heard on an internet radio show ( republicbroadcasing.org) that the anticipated unemployment numbers are going to escalate to about 23% unemployment>> they say that's the worst since 1932 (Great Depression). And now would be a good time to drum up some painting jobs. I did some of those last summer and it caught me up on some medical bills.

I just hope that they can get a handle on this problem in 2 to 3 months hopefullly. We are having stores shut down by the dozens in this area. When you got fights at the local grocery and big box stores like Rip-Mart you know it's getting mean out there. Right now I won't go into any store alone with all the fights that have been occurring here locally.
Eh... Its still not a big deal in my area. I will also gladly go back to painting houses.
But... I do worry about my mom in the next city over.
As far as craziness goes I worry about that as well. But in my area we can make it happen, hopefully. And if not?... well thats just life.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

VooDooChild wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Damnit.

Eh... Its still not a big deal in my area. I will also gladly go back to painting houses.
But... I do worry about my mom in the next city over.
As far as craziness goes I worry about that as well. But in my area we can make it happen, hopefully. And if not?... well thats just life.
Not to undermine anything you said... Already in my low key area stuff is getting weird. Might just have to dip out and live on the beach fishing for dinner lol.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Went to 2 different grocery stores tonight, still crazy out there, out of all the essentials. The stark contrast of the decimated shelves where food once sat next to the untouched Easter bunnies/candy/baskets was kind of haunting
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb