Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by Knivesinedc »

Not significantly. There's more people out and about which means it takes a minute or two extra to get where I'm going. It also means I'm avoiding Walmart and Costco as much as possible. I am a hospital security guard and the hospital does not close of course, so even if there is an outbreak in my area, I will be here. At work. Securing the hospital and making sure the psych patients don't punch an RN or try to urinate on a phlebotomist :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:42 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm
toilet paper?
https://youtu.be/ia0bfWbOLjY
Absolutely priceless!!! I’m sitting here, folding up my last sheet, with tears running down my cheeks!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Here in Tulsa people are worried but not much change yet. I work in education and spring break has been elongated by a week. We'll see if we make it even longer. Not too worried either way. Toilet paper hunting is an annoying hobby. Things keep getting cancelled and the bars aren't as busy. Otherwise, all good.

Some good news though, our first COVID patient recovered. https://www.newson6.com/story/41889339/ ... tment-says
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nothing noticeably, so far, at least nothing of long term impact. Am sure my IRA has taken a hit, but am equally sure it will bounce back once the panic is over. Walmart seemed more crowded than usual the other day. Always keep at least a 6 month supply of TP on hand, so no problem there. Probably a good thing, since my preferred brand seems to have become the darling of the hoarders.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I’m in Melbourne, and I worked from home the second half of this week. Our offices in the US, UK and AU were officially closed on Thursday, with everyone working from home until further notice. Public and sport events are being canceled left right and center (F1 GP etc. etc. etc.), and I suspect schools might be closed from Mon onwards...

Our Hone Affairs Minister was diagnosed earlier today. Things are moving fast.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

They just closed my children's school 2 days early for spring break. And said it will likely be extended with some e-learning days at home. They skirt the annual attendance requirement of 180 days by giving students computers and calling it e-learning when they work from home.

Pretty disappointed they cancelled March Madness basketball tournament. We get together with friends to watch the games. I'm also worried about the Indianapolis 500 being cancelled in May. It gets 300,000+ fans and is the best event here in Indy by far. We go every year.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My work has regularly always had Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer readily available for our employees. The past couple weeks we haven't been able to get as much. We have vending machines here where you can use your employee ID number to withdraw items, this includes the wipes and sanitizer. We have an employee who MAY be losing his job (making close to $100,000/year) because he's signed out over a dozen of the wipes the past week and only 2 of the containers are accounted for. Sad thing is my good friend is in security here, and the employee is his cousin who's been here 17 years.

Our GM has canceled all meetings, safety training, etc. We don't have any cases in our area, but he wants to play it safe. We have 228 employees.

The photo below I took just yesterday after work at Wegmans. I ran in for a few things...this is the paper products aisle. INSANE!!!

Resized_20200312_191241 (002).jpeg

It was very eerie at the store. It was packed, but there was hardly anybody talking. Very surreal and uncomfortable feeling. I'm in that store usually twice a week and I've never seen it so packed, yet so quiet.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Meh, lots of little inconveniences. Sports cancelled and my sons school is about to close.

Thank goodness I have a ways to go before retirement. I have lost a good chunk of change. I’ll bounce back from that though.

It has mostly affected me by further eroding my faith in humanity. I am unsure how we can be so smart individually yet so stupid collectively.

On the upside I can fly my family of three to Florida for $196 total, direct flights both ways. Time for a little vacation!!! :D That leaves a lot of extra funds for seafood and alcohol. :p

After that I am ready for it all to be over though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Should have listened to Sumdumguy when he recommended getting a Bidet! :eek:

:D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:31 am
Should have listened to Sumdumguy when he recommended getting a Bidet! :eek:

:D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! You couldn't possibly be any more correct!!!!

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

My youngest daughter is a HS senior and is worried about missing Prom and Graduation. She's been cheering for the HS for 7 years(since 6th grade) and while at Rupp Arena immediately after the girls game, they announced that all games would be canceled. The basketball team and cheerleaders were celebrating the win and missed what was said overhead. Today will be the last school day for a few weeks.

My oldest daughter is at Disney-world and they were told after Saturday or Sunday they would be closing :( I'm scared for her.

Hospitals are not allowing visitors and neither are nursing homes :(
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My work sends out constant emails about covid19... This morning's email is about how not to get scammed by covid19 email scams...nothing like a pandemic to bring out the good in humanity :rolleyes:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
benben

Post by benben »

My daughter is a freshman, she plays softball at a D2 university, and I coach baseball, both of our seasons were cancelled yesterday, effective immediately! Years of hard work put her there, she's a freshman, she'll live but it still sucks, I feels terrible for the seniors on her team, and across the country!

I know it's a sport and most will say what's the big deal, but.........
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Covid19, Friday the 13th... said screw it, time to order some fresh, hot cookies! Tiffs Treats is on the way.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Not really yet. Other than being told there can't be more than 10 people in the switchouse at one time (tva taking precautions) I still have to work. Stuff in the yard has to be upgraded, or added, or torn out. Can't turn off the power, so I am here. I'm just with a contractor though, so things could change and we could be put on hiatus.

I could use a break, but I'd rather make the money! Haha! I just hope Memphis doesn't get covered in Corona virus... I like being relatively close to home (within 2 hours). Mississippi just got its first cases, hopefully they can keep it somewhat contained.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Only a matter of time before proving how low humanity can go...my wife took a half day at work today and was doing some running around. She saw some police talking to a man at the back of his suv at the grocery store. She heard from another woman parked near where she was, that this guy had a sign up selling toilet paper/paper towels out of the back of his suv at a marked up price when that woman was going into the store. (knowing that the store is out of stock of both) Sounds like police got there pretty quickly.

Talking to some of the guys at work today, one of them went to the store last night because he just wanted to get a simple 3 pack of toilet paper because he lives by himself and lasts him a bit. None in sight, and he apparently doesn't have much left at home. Meanwhile someone has a year supply stocked up in their basement and this poor guy can't even find 3 rolls for himself. This kind of stuff is irritating me.

-Rick
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Lol, I keep hearing this over and over and I don’t get it. What’s the obsession with toilet paper???
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I had a friend who apparently got attacked (physically) in the water aisle at the grocery store (in Los Angeles) while putting bottled water in her cart.

I'm a lot more worried about the human hysteria than the actual virus. If we all just stay calm and take a couple weeks off, things are going to go a lot better.

We've pulled our kids out of activities, but not yet out of school. We cancelled our spring break trip (it involved travel that won't be possible now). But we're not running around getting in fights in the toilet paper aisle.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

It's like when it snows here in the south. Got to get your bread, milk, and eggs! Seriously, people go nuts and buy the most outrageous stuff for no reason...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This our local grocery store chain that does the most business in our area. They are normally open 24 hours. For them to have to do this, over a flu...that there isn't a single person in our county that's been infected...blows my mind.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/20 ... pping.html

-Rick