Talk to me about Ferro Rods

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Re: Talk to me about Ferro Rods

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:00 am
That is pretty accurate!!! I have been a bit of a pyromaniac all my life. Luckily I burn about 5 cords of wood each year and that scratches the itch.
Ah, hahaha! :)

I’m fairly sure I’ve seen you post pics of a bow and drill set up too. Do you have much success with it?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I use the spine of the blade. Most of my fixed blades have squared spines for scraping. If a spine is too round, the problem is easily resolved with a sharpening stone or file.

You can also use the scraper that comes with the rod, or you can use a section of hacksaw blade as a scraper. However, I prefer to use a fixed blade. The size of the knife allows me to scrape off more material for improved fire starting. That's not important when lighting a fire on a hot summer day with dry material. But when I'm lighting a fire on a cold and damp winter day, the extra material and the heat that it produces makes a big difference.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:16 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:00 am
That is pretty accurate!!! I have been a bit of a pyromaniac all my life. Luckily I burn about 5 cords of wood each year and that scratches the itch.
Ah, hahaha! :)

I’m fairly sure I’ve seen you post pics of a bow and drill set up too. Do you have much success with it?
Yeah, it isn’t too hard once you figure it out. I did it for the first time as a kid so I have been playing with it for a long time. Once you have a feel for it then it is mostly about selecting the correct wood. When I lived in Colorado it was easy because aspen is everywhere and it works well and the climate is dry. Here in New England we have lots of hardwood and it is always wet. I have a lot of Hemlock around my property and it has worked well for me. I can usually break dead branches off of them that are dry enough.

Hand drills are a different story. I have only successfully done that once. I used the stalk from a plant called Mullen and a hearth board made from Red Maple that had maybe just started to get punky. I have been meaning to try again.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Ferro rods are my favourite way to start a fire. I usualy have box of matches/lighter with me, but the most of time I use ferro rod. I am using a scraper that comes with it.

Only thing that bugs me is that in my country I have not founf (yet) those reaaaaaaaaaaaly big and long ferro rods, so now I am using Light my fire rods.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bearfacedkiller

I am especially fond of using actual flint and steel. Quartz is easy to find around here and it works well too. I have a dedicated striker that I carry in my char cloth tin but I have also just struck flint or quartz off the spine of my beloved BK14. It beats the spine up and it is harder than using the striker but it is a fun challenge.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Has anyone here tried a fire piston? Since BFK mentioned his charcloth tin, a perfect tinder and easy to make, my piston came to mind. Ancient technology too.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Mike Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:14 pm
Has anyone here tried a fire piston? Since BFK mentioned his charcloth tin, a perfect tinder and easy to make, my piston came to mind. Ancient technology too.
I've seen it done on survival shows but haven't tried it. Several methods I'd like to give a try actually.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

Yes, fire pistons are cool and they work well.
-Darby
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:35 am
Yes, fire pistons are cool and they work well.
Hey Darby, never had any success with a bow drill with the few goes I’ve had and I’ve often thought about a fire piston even though I don’t even know how they work.

I might buy one anyhow and work it all out when I have it. :)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:44 am
I’ve often thought about a fire piston even though I don’t even know how they work.

They work based on compression, just like diesel engine. If you compress air quickly enough it would create heat and light the fluffy material inside.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:00 am
...They work based on compression, just like diesel engine. If you compress air quickly enough it would create heat and light the fluffy material inside.
This is where dry charcloth comes into it's strength. Fire pistons won't light anything green or moist.

I tried the "new" thing called fire rolling the other day. A couple pieces of wood and some tinder (jute fluffed out) and a bit of fire ash and rust scraped off some outdoor iron mixed together between the wood and rolled back and forth. Dang that nearly burnt me when it took off.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Fire pistons are nice, I made one or two for my own use, long time ago, but they are not for "instant fire people" ... ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Funny this subject came up. I'm going with my son to a Scout meeting tonight where we're doing a fire starting class with Flint strikers, ferro rods, pistons...all the fun stuff!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:00 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:44 am
I’ve often thought about a fire piston even though I don’t even know how they work.

They work based on compression, just like diesel engine. If you compress air quickly enough it would create heat and light the fluffy material inside.
Thanks Pan, though it does sound like hard work. :p
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:23 pm
Funny this subject came up. I'm going with my son to a Scout meeting tonight where we're doing a fire starting class with Flint strikers, ferro rods, pistons...all the fun stuff!
How'd the little scouts do? About the only thing I remember from scouts is poison ivy and Calamine lotion :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😁 Me too Larry! Actually really well. That firemaking is the fun stuff. My buddy that taught it has all kinds of goodies, from fire pistons to charcloth.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032