Apple Watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cao87

Apple Watch

Post by Cao87 »

Hi I am looking at getting the new Apple Watch I have a couple of questions
1. Is it worth getting (like is it worth the money)
(a) should I get the older version or the newer version
(b) how useful is the cellular version
2. are third party accessories (like bands and cases worth it)
3. What material is the toughest
TomAiello

Re: Apple Watch

Post by TomAiello »

I have a basic Apple Watch with no third party accessories and no cellular.

I wear it every day, and mostly use it as a fitness tracker. I've been very happy with it in this use.

What's your intended use?

I know people who use it to replace their cell phone when they want to force themselves to not do a lot of texting (because texting is really hard on the watch). Personally, I don't have that issue, but I can see where they're coming from.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mrs. Iron and I have had the Apple Watch 5, with cellular, for a few months. I REALLY like it. I'll run down a few thoughts.

1. I've haven't worn a watch in decades, and I've found that it's actually very handy to be able to see the time without getting out my phone.

2. With the cellular feature, sometimes I don't even need to carry a phone. This is a HUGE... YUGE... convenience.

3. Doing simple text messages on the watch is also very convenient.

4. Calendars, reminders, alarms, etc. can all be handled through he watch. Again, it's very convenient.

5. I really like the Activity Monitor (fitness tracking). I'm active, but if I'm being a lazy slob, the watch tells me. If I'm being a rock star, it just tells me what I already know. I ride a mountain bike, and use a service (Strava) that tracks my speed, distance, location, altitude, work, etc. The GPS feature of the Apple Watch integrates just fine with that. It would also work for hiking, running, etc. It's very cool to do all this through he watch and not need a dedicated GPS or iPhone.

You asked if it's worth it. It's a big chunk of change, for sure. But if I didn't spend it on watches, I'd just blow it on other silly things like knives, guns, and Bourbon.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the feedback on the Apple Watch. I too have been thinking about getting one, but I figured I might as well wait for the 6th generation as I’ve heard that Apple might upgrade the battery life and also add a sleep tracking feature.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:12 pm
I’ve heard that Apple might upgrade the battery life and also add a sleep tracking feature.
Sleep tracking is super important for me, and I was put off the Apple Watch because it didn't have it.

However, wearing something on my wrist to sleep, especially something as large as a standard watch, isn't super comfortable either, so I eventually went with a different sleep tracking system (https://www.sleepscore.com/sleepscore-m ... p-tracker/) and the Apple Watch during the day.

I've had absolutely zero issues with battery life in the past 14 months (how long I've had the Apple Watch). I charge it every night while I sleep and I've never had it even get down to half battery before I charged it again.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I suppose you're a iPhone user?
I have a Samsung Gear S3 /Samsung Galkaxy S10, got tired of iPhoneOS after iPhone 5S, up until and including that one i had every iPhone model, but again got fed up with Apples walled garden iPhone OS.
So i guess - if you use iPhone, the iWatch is probably the best suited, if not, i'd look at other alternatives.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Sleep tracking is super important for me, and I was put off the Apple Watch because it didn't have it.
???

It's just a function of the motion, sound, and heart rate, which the Apple Watch does.

On the watch, I run an app called Autosleep. It knows when I go to sleep, it knows when I get up to pee, it knows when I'm restless, it knows when I'm in a deep sleep. In the morning, I can look at all sorts of charts and graphs. It's pretty good.

The sister app is Autowake. I tell it when I need to wake up, and then it monitors my sleep and will wake me up within a pre-specified window of when I'm in a light sleep. If you're in a deep sleep and it's almost time to wake up, it will lightly tap your wrist, bringing you into a light sleep. It's pretty cool, too.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

When I went to the store last year I tried the watch on and it was itchy and I think it was burning no rash then it went away is that weird or was just a weird thing that happened or you just get used to wearing it
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:52 am
I have a basic Apple Watch
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Larry_Mott wrote: I suppose you're a iPhone user?
I have a Samsung Gear S3 /Samsung Galkaxy S10, got tired of iPhoneOS after iPhone 5S, up until and including that one i had every iPhone model, but again got fed up with Apples walled garden iPhone OS.
So i guess - if you use iPhone, the iWatch is probably the best suited, if not, i'd look at other alternatives.
I never understood the appeal of a closed eco system.

My wife fought with the printer for an hour, crying about needing a new printer because she couldn't "airdrop" to ours.

I made her email it to me, on my Samsung S8 and I had it printed in seconds.

HUZZAH! The magic of an phone OS that can communicate with ALL things around it!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:12 pm
I’ve heard that Apple might upgrade the battery life and also add a sleep tracking feature.

However, wearing something on my wrist to sleep, especially something as large as a standard watch, isn't super comfortable either, so I eventually went with a different sleep tracking system (https://www.sleepscore.com/sleepscore-m ... p-tracker/) and the Apple Watch during the day.

I've had absolutely zero issues with battery life in the past 14 months (how long I've had the Apple Watch). I charge it every night while I sleep and I've never had it even get down to half battery before I charged it again.
Thank you, Tom, that is good information. I guess I never considered loading an app for sleep, but that makes a lot of sense. I’m also relieved to hear about the battery life. Do you have to plug it in via a Lightening port?

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:14 pm

My wife fought with the printer for an hour, crying about needing a new printer because she couldn't "airdrop" to ours.

HUZZAH! The magic of an phone OS that can communicate with ALL things around it!
Lol, I hear you. I had two Samsung Galaxies before my current iPhone. (I was press-ganged into getting an iPhone because everyone in my family had one, ha!) 😜

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:08 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Lol, I hear you. I had two Samsung Galaxies before my current iPhone. (I was press-ganged into getting an iPhone because everyone in my family had one, ha!) 😜
Haha, my wife tried to goad me into getting one when she did.
No thank you!

It's so funny, she tries to tell me how good her phone is. Like recently, her phone updated and added swipe text. She was bragging about it, so I pulled out mine and said "oh, like this?" I've had that feature for like six years...

I call it blind consumerism. They believe their product to be the best, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:15 pm
TomAiello wrote:

???

It's just a function of the motion, sound, and heart rate, which the Apple Watch does.

On the watch, I run an app called Autosleep. It knows when I go to sleep, it knows when I get up to pee, it knows when I'm restless, it knows when I'm in a deep sleep. In the morning, I can look at all sorts of charts and graphs. It's pretty good.

The sister app is Autowake. I tell it when I need to wake up, and then it monitors my sleep and will wake me up within a pre-specified window of when I'm in a light sleep. If you're in a deep sleep and it's almost time to wake up, it will lightly tap your wrist, bringing you into a light sleep. It's pretty cool, too.
Cool. I'll look at those apps. Do they break out REM and Deep sleep separately? I used to have a Jawbone fitness tracker that did that really well, and then I went to a Nokia that didn't, and it made it challenging for me to optimize my sleep.

When do you charge your watch?
Last edited by TomAiello on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:42 pm
Do you have to plug it in via a Lightening port?
It's an induction (magnetic) charging pad.

I have one I leave on my bedside table and one I take when I travel.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:15 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:08 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Haha, my wife tried to goad me into getting one when she did.
No thank you!

It's so funny, she tries to tell me how good her phone is. Like recently, her phone updated and added swipe text. She was bragging about it, so I pulled out mine and said "oh, like this?" I've had that feature for like six years...

I call it blind consumerism. They believe their product to be the best, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Sounds so familiar, lol. :D I used to be the same way when I had my Galaxy. My wife and family would be talking about a new feature on their iPhones and I’d be like, “Um, I’ve had that feature for a few years now.” That always seemed to get their goat, so I had to stop. :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:01 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:42 pm
Do you have to plug it in via a Lightening port?
It's an induction (magnetic) charging pad.

I have one I leave on my bedside table and one I take when I travel.
That is good to know. Thanks again for the info, Tom.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I tried out the app that Rusty recommended for sleep last night, and it's pretty good. At home it won't replace my stand alone sensor (which gives me better details and doesn't require me to wear a device), but it'll probably be my go-to on the road (I've been using one that works from my phone's microphone and doesn't seem to give very good data). Thanks Rusty!
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

When I tried the watch on in the store last year my wrist was burning and itchy when I took it off but I had no rash or blistering then it went away after a while Is that normal or was it on too tight
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Some folks
Cao87 wrote: When I tried the watch on in the store last year my wrist was burning and itchy when I took it off but I had no rash or blistering then it went away after a while Is that normal or was it on too tight
Some folks are sensitive to certain metals touching their skin. I once had a co-worker who couldn’t wear her wedding ring because it caused a bad rash on her finger. She also couldn’t wear any metal necklaces or bracelets. I’m guessing this may have been what you experienced when you tried on the watch. They do make plastic cases for the Apple Watch that could solve the issue.