What's your worst "bite"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: What's your worst "bite"

Post by benben »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:56 pm
carelessly file sharpening my ontario cutlass machete...
I bet that got your attention real quick! Awesome thumb pic, big ole oh **** moment!
alnico357

Post by alnico357 »

Nothing like the above for for me! Years ago my pocket knife failed to close due to pocket lint in the mechanism. My finger was sliced. Since then I always clean the lint out after washing the jeans.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Just stabbed myself accidentally with an RMJ Tactical Raider Dagger. Bled like a stuck pig! :o This is my new carry knife, and it bit me while I was mocking up the draw from the sheath where it will be with my BRT Carry Rig.

The knife really sticks hard in the sheath. Going to have to look at the draw. I messed up. The draw has to be one continuous motion away from the body with a sticky sheath.

The tip on this knife is excellent! Penetrates like a Star Wars Laser. Highly recommended. Stabbed myself in the outside of the left pinky. Cut is approx 1 inch long and who knows how deep and the bleeding was profuse! Hahahahahaha....have to laugh because the blood was everywhere in less than 2 seconds! :D

Is that Palmolive dish washing soap? Nope, but I'm soaking in it....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Not my worst Spyderbite, just a nick really, but it happened last night so...

I was sitting on the couch half dozing after some long and very busy lockdown weeks at work.

I was thinking I should go to bed, when I put my hand part way down between the cushions without really thinking.

I felt something that shouldn’t be there. I was sleepily thinking of those stories of people getting sliced up by an old razor blade when sliding their hands down between couch cushions.

I smiled to myself and thought ‘Lucky I don’t use those old skool razor blades’.

‘But what is that thing?’

I lightly put my hand down between the cushions, then felt something sharp slicing easily into my pinky finger, whipping my hand out, wide awake now.

Let’s just say there are far worse things than a razor blade!

It was an opened SE Emerson Matriarch 2 sitting blade edge up between the cushions! :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Don’t ask me how it got there - probably from the previous night after work when I had been looking it over, and must have fallen asleep.

As soon as my fingertips realised that it was cold sharp steel, the serration scallop that my pinky contacted was already biting in deep.

First no blood, just a clean cut. Then the claret started gushing. :eek: The upside to clean cuts from sharp blades is they heal and knit up very fast.

When I went to wash and change the dressings this morning, the cut was so seamless, I had to look twice to recall which finger it was on.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my worst bite is already posted above, but this is my worst spyder bite.

i'm a little embarrassed to admit that this cut came from my chicago. i was fidgeting with it and i closed it on my thumb. it wasn't a bad cut at all, but i could not get it to stop bleeding. i kept pressure on it for over 30 minutes before i could even get a bandage on it. so ridiculous that i did this with a tiny knife that i bought mostly as a joke in silent protest of tyrannical knife rules at work that were meant to keep people safe from larger blades.
🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My really shameful cut goes back to 2006>> needless to say it was a careless boo boo :o . I was working for a Doctor who owned some clinics and was doing a lot of maintenance jobs on his properties. It was actually one of the better jobs I ever had. One day I was opening a package at his home and the knife slipped and cut my index finger literally to the bone :eek:

At the time I was EDCing my Burgundy Caly Jr with ZDP-189 steel and that was the blade that opened me up. That Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly Jr was Spyderco's very first folder with ZDP-189 ( Circa 2005).

Well it was good that I had a medical Doctor right there when it happened. He immediately got the bleeding stopped and he worked really fast to dress it and bandage it up. A day later he looked at the wound and he was surprised at how clean and precise the cut was. I used to keep that ZDP-189 Caly Jr sharp enough to use a razor if I wanted to. Also because the wound was literally surgically precise it healed at a very rapid rate ( without stitches no less).

Even the Doctor himself was intrigued with how sharp I kept that knife. He compared it to one of his old surgical scalpels. I've been extremely careful with all of my Spyderco blades ever since. The potential danger that our hobby can have is not to be taken lightly. These Spyderco knives are not toys>> they are serious and potentially dangerous tools and must be respected always.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mine came in 2015. Cold Steel Code 4 drop point. Triad Lock was super-stiff, so I left the knife sitting half-open on the dresser overnight. Next morning I stupidly attempted to test if it had loosened at all by one-hand closing it, and the blade swung shut like a guillotine right on the last joint (the one nearest the fingernail) of my right index finger. It bled like crazy, but I was eerily calm about it (as I usually am about such things).

Called the hospital and went to urgent care (it was a Sunday). Doctor X-rayed it and said I cut the tendon. Advised me not to get surgery or stitches but to keep it immobilized so the fibers can reattach themselves, and NOT bend my finger AT ALL. Had to have my finger splinted for 2 months, losing a total of 4 months of work (I am a massage therapist). After removing the splint, needed 2 more months of physical therapy to get the strength and range of motion back in my finger. It works normally now, but the end of my right index finger doesn’t straighten completely like it used to, but it’s subtle to most people unless I point it out to them (pun intended).

I will not use another Cold Steel Triad Lock knife. I don’t trust them. Sure, my accident was user error on my part. I should have known it wasn’t designed for one-hand closing (for me). It should only be closed two-handed. Even if the knife has “the strongest, safest lock” when in the open position, it’s a freaking guillotine when closing if you’re not extra careful. There’s much more to blade lock safety than open and locked.

Jim