Microtech Socoms

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

Microtech Socoms

Post by Knivesinedc »

Hey all! Looking for objective opinions on the Microtech Socom. I have fallen in love with the looks of the Apocalypse finished models and am heavily considering purchasing one soon. Anyone own a Socom or a couple of them and want to throw their opinions into the ring? No bashing the knife or the company who makes it, just looking for real, first hand experience opinions on the knives. How do they cut, hows the heat treat, hand comfort during long periods of use, prone to blade play, etc? Input is much appreciated!
Naperville

Re: Microtech Socoms

Post by Naperville »

I don't own any, but they are on my short list!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I own one and consider it on par with the big three. CRK, Hinderer, and Strider. Very smart engineering, material design and excellent blade grinds. Built deceptively strong for weight.
Would be one of the last knives I would ever sell.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

One of my good friends swears by them. He also says they are on par and just as good as the big three. I have yet to pick one up, I was waiting for the return of the Mini Socom but it appears that idea might have been cancelled for now..
Josh
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:29 am
One of my good friends swears by them. He also says they are on par and just as good as the big three. I have yet to pick one up, I was waiting for the return of the Mini Socom but it appears that idea might have been cancelled for now..
I too wish they would do a small version but the full size is surprisingly svelte given its specs. The tapered handle and offset pocket clip really make it comfortable both in hand and pocket. Also, it is very thin behind the edge so cuts well despite the blade stock thickness.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

If the picture (1,000 words) don’t say it all.... I will!

If I could only have 4.

The quality is impeccable. It’s a solid beast. Get em while you can. You WILL NOT regret it. If I worked construction, was going to remodel my house and/or anything like that...I would choose this knife or the xm18. It’s light for its size, carries well for its size, the tapered handle is excellent. The blade FLIES out with authority (mines a manual). My only complaint is not having one sooner. It gets thin behind the edge for how thick the blade stock is. As thin or thinner in some places than the military actually. It can handle some prying. The thumb studs of the manual version, like the xm18 are blade stops. Zero blade play, locks up solid. I’ve beat on mine some. Like the xm18, the Socom is a knife you don’t think about. Just do whatever you need to do and it’ll take it in strides.

After all that.... you looking to buy an auto or a manual Socom ? I kinda want an auto to go with it...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:21 am

If the picture (1,000 words) don’t say it all.... I will!

If I could only have 4.

The quality is impeccable. It’s a solid beast. Get em while you can. You WILL NOT regret it. If I worked construction, was going to remodel my house and/or anything like that...I would choose this knife or the xm18. It’s light for its size, carries well for its size, the tapered handle is excellent. The blade FLIES out with authority (mines a manual). My only complaint is not having one sooner. It gets thin behind the edge for how thick the blade stock is. As thin or thinner in some places than the military actually. It can handle some prying. The thumb studs of the manual version, like the xm18 are blade stops. Zero blade play, locks up solid. I’ve beat on mine some. Like the xm18, the Socom is a knife you don’t think about. Just do whatever you need to do and it’ll take it in strides.

After all that.... you looking to buy an auto or a manual Socom ? I kinda want an auto to go with it...
Great breakdown, thank you! I am looking at a manual as I live in CA and want to be able to carry it freely haha. I absolutely adore the look of the apocalyptic blade finish with the black handles but will probably settle for another model on the secondary market to get some savings on it. Its rare that I see a knife I absolutely feel the need to buy nowadays but the Socom is definitely one of them. I love larger folders, especially medium-heavy duty blades. The Socom seems to be a better option than some cheaper knives in that class as its not super heavy or chunky, but can handle some serious use.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Knivesinedc wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:31 pm
Great breakdown, thank you! I am looking at a manual as I live in CA and want to be able to carry it freely haha. I absolutely adore the look of the apocalyptic blade finish with the black handles but will probably settle for another model on the secondary market to get some savings on it. Its rare that I see a knife I absolutely feel the need to buy nowadays but the Socom is definitely one of them. I love larger folders, especially medium-heavy duty blades. The Socom seems to be a better option than some cheaper knives in that class as its not super heavy or chunky, but can handle some serious use.
Yeah.... I’ll aid in depleating your wallet... get one! :cool:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:28 am
Knivesinedc wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:31 pm
Yeah.... I’ll aid in depleating your wallet... get one! :cool:
Well, thanks to you, my bank account is a bit lighter haha. I ended up finding a plain edge, clip point, stonewash Socom, almost brand new with a little roll on the edge for $190 on FB. Should be here Wednesday!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats on your new Socom, OP! I have a feeling you’ll love it. I have one in the Apocalyptic finish and I absolutely love it. It reminds me somewhat of a beefed up Millie; very sturdy, but lightweight. It is also buttery smooth and opens like a dream. I’ll try to post a pic.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:51 am
Congrats on your new Socom, OP! I have a feeling you’ll love it. I have one in the Apocalyptic finish and I absolutely love it. It reminds me somewhat of a beefed up Millie; very sturdy, but lightweight. It is also buttery smooth and opens like a dream. I’ll try to post a pic.
Thanks, SN! Id love to see a pic! I love the apocalyptic finish. Its probably my favorite finish on the microtech knives. Second favorite would be the stonewash which is what I ended up purchasing because it was such a good price. I just really prefer pre worn/non polished finishes because I feel a lot better about using them right off the bat.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Nice! And I agree with the beefed up military comment...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Totally agree on the Mille on steroids! When going light I carry my 204p Mille, heavy, the SOCOM gets the nod.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Knivesinedc wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:42 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Thanks, SN! Id love to see a pic! I love the apocalyptic finish. Its probably my favorite finish on the microtech knives. Second favorite would be the stonewash which is what I ended up purchasing because it was such a good price. I just really prefer pre worn/non polished finishes because I feel a lot better about using them right off the bat.
I agree with you totally. It’s a large reason why I prefer the Apocalyptic finish too. :) Here are a few really quick shots during my lunch break today. Pardon the dust, lol:

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:33 pm
Knivesinedc wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:42 am
SpyderNut wrote:
I agree with you totally. It’s a large reason why I prefer the Apocalyptic finish too. :) Here are a few really quick shots during my lunch break today. Pardon the dust, lol:

Ugh. Gorgeous blade man. Mine comes tomorrow and I cant wait!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks man! I have a feeling you’re going to really like yours too. Please post some pics when you get a chance. Welcome to the Socom club! 👍

Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:28 pm
Thanks man! I have a feeling you’re going to really like yours too. Please post some pics when you get a chance. Welcome to the Socom club! 👍
I usually post from my phone here and its a pain to upload pics, but I'll be throwing a fresh pic up on my instagram if you have it! @knivesinedc is my username on there.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I am having a minor issue with sharpening if anyone has any suggestions. I have 95% of the blade hair popping sharp, but for whatever reason, no matter what angle i try, the last 5% of the edge near the tip will not get sharp. I will carefully and slowly adjust angles and I just cant seem to hit it for whatever reason. I have a few other ideas to try but input is appreciated.