The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25423
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Deacon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:13 am

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 am
When I bought the AR15 pistol and added the pistol brace in 2016, it was an ATF approved pistol.
Now, according to the ATF, as of this week I am the proud owner of an SBR (a Short Barreled Rifle)
which makes it the last gun I bought.

At the moment, it's more like owning something the ATF might rule to be an SBR. So far, they've only gone after the Honey Badger, not any of Q's other brace equipped AR platform pistols, not any brace equipped AR platform pistol offered by any other manufacturer. I strongly believe that, depending on how the election goes, this stupid decision will either be reversed and those responsible for it canned or, it will be the least of any gun owning American's worries.

As for yours, since you added the brace you could simply remove it till this nonsense gets sorted out. Unless the ATF has changed that rule too, neither a handgun with provision for mounting a shoulder stock or a shoulder stock for that handgun was considered an NFA item. They only became one if you attached the stock to the handgun.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

OrangeShoes
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby OrangeShoes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 am

I havent bought any gun yet. Any decent recommendation?

OldHoosier62
Member
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby OldHoosier62 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 am

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:13 am
Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 am
When I bought the AR15 pistol and added the pistol brace in 2016, it was an ATF approved pistol.
Now, according to the ATF, as of this week I am the proud owner of an SBR (a Short Barreled Rifle)
which makes it the last gun I bought.

At the moment, it's more like owning something the ATF might rule to be an SBR. So far, they've only gone after the Honey Badger, not any of Q's other brace equipped AR platform pistols, not any brace equipped AR platform pistol offered by any other manufacturer. I strongly believe that, depending on how the election goes, this stupid decision will either be reversed and those responsible for it canned or, it will be the least of any gun owning American's worries.

As for yours, since you added the brace you could simply remove it till this nonsense gets sorted out. Unless the ATF has changed that rule too, neither a handgun with provision for mounting a shoulder stock or a shoulder stock for that handgun was considered an NFA item. They only became one if you attached the stock to the handgun.
Your assessment is pretty much dead on according to my sources Deacon. An upper echelon ATF staffer made the blanket decision allegedly to see what kind off opposition blowback came of it. Seems like it ruffled more feathers than they expected and the actual worker bees there are even calling hypocritical...plus a few congress critters are now involved. It's an election year (LOL...and 2020) so chaos will be the order of the day.

OldHoosier62
Member
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby OldHoosier62 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:57 am

OrangeShoes wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 am
I havent bought any gun yet. Any decent recommendation?
What do you want the firearm for...hunting?? personal defense?? home defense?? sport shooting?? a combination of these??

Let us know and then the folks can make recommendations.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25423
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Deacon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:25 am

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:57 am
OrangeShoes wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 am
I havent bought any gun yet. Any decent recommendation?
What do you want the firearm for...hunting?? personal defense?? home defense?? sport shooting?? a combination of these??

Let us know and then the folks can make recommendations.

Might help to know what state you live in as well, some things are not legal in some of the "blue" states, some are just more hassle than others to purchase there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 6117
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby Sharp Guy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:08 am

I didn't actually buy it but a friend just sent me a LNIB Anschutz 22 rifle. Should be an excellent shooter
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Mad Mac
Member
Posts: 1409
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby Mad Mac » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:18 am

ATF quizzlers give Honey Badger pistol a reprieve for 60 days.
Length of pull exceeding 13.5 inches by a sixteenth of an inch may be the issue.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/hone ... ification/
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, two Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Sharpmaker, Police SE, Small SpyderPac, Ultra-Fine Stones, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, two Large Lum Pink G10, Rubicon. 2017: Battlestation, Orange Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: EuroEdge, ClipiTool Standard, 2019 Calendar Contest Rhino CF PLN.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:05 am

If you look close, you can see the fall foliage reflected in the model 27-2
Image

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25423
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Deacon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 am

Latest addition to the toy box. It's a Kel-Tec CP33 that I bought last week on GunBroker from a dealer in another state and picked up a my local's shop yesterday. .22LR, 33 round magazine :eek: :D , a threaded barrel, and the best factory sights of any handgun I own.

Image
Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:18 am

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 am
Latest addition to the toy box. It's a Kel-Tec CP33 that I bought last week on GunBroker from a dealer in another state and picked up a my local's shop yesterday. .22LR, 33 round magazine :eek: :D , a threaded barrel, and the best factory sights of any handgun I own.

Image
Image
That looks like a lot of fun!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:31 pm

I've never saw the beat on Gun and Ammo availability.
My goodness.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am

So, I was finally able to get some original stocks for my model 19-3 (1977) and, it feels very nice in hand now!
I mean, it was just fine with the rubber grips, but these original stocks are awesome!
Image

User avatar
M Sea
Member
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 am
Location: Margaritaville

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby M Sea » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:37 am

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am
So, I was finally able to get some original stocks for my model 19-3 (1977) and, it feels very nice in hand now!
I mean, it was just fine with the rubber grips, but these original stocks are awesome!
Image
So cool👌
:spyder:
Instagram @island_style_knives

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:12 am

M Sea wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:37 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am
So, I was finally able to get some original stocks for my model 19-3 (1977) and, it feels very nice in hand now!
I mean, it was just fine with the rubber grips, but these original stocks are awesome!
Image
So cool👌
Thank you.
Yeah, I just really prefer the natural look as well.

User avatar
Mad Mac
Member
Posts: 1409
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby Mad Mac » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:59 am

On a side note, here in Texas some gun shows have been canceled due to Covid 19. But a couple of hours away is the Premier gun show in Mesquite this weekend which is in full swing. I considered taking one of my "insurance policies" to sell at the show, an AR-15 pistol. In the run up to the election, supply is down and demand is up and I figured I could make a few hundred bucks on it.

For three reasons, I decided not to go. First, how foolish would it be after months of living as a recluse to attend a superspreader event. Secondly, I have a new dog that gets carsick and I don't want to leave her behind that long. Finally, after the election it may be worth a lot more, a double or nothing proposition, and I could sell it online which would be easier on me and Ginger.

Stay well my friends.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, two Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Sharpmaker, Police SE, Small SpyderPac, Ultra-Fine Stones, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, two Large Lum Pink G10, Rubicon. 2017: Battlestation, Orange Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: EuroEdge, ClipiTool Standard, 2019 Calendar Contest Rhino CF PLN.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:01 am

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:59 am
On a side note, here in Texas some gun shows have been canceled due to Covid 19. But a couple of hours away is the Premier gun show in Mesquite this weekend which is in full swing. I considered taking one of my "insurance policies" to sell at the show, an AR-15 pistol. In the run up to the election, supply is down and demand is up and I figured I could make a few hundred bucks on it.

For three reasons, I decided not to go. First, how foolish would it be after months of living as a recluse to attend a superspreader event. Secondly, I have a new dog that gets carsick and I don't want to leave her behind that long. Finally, after the election it may be worth a lot more, a double or nothing proposition, and I could sell it online which would be easier on me and Ginger.

Stay well my friends.
Good choice!

User avatar
toxophilus
Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Colorado; Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby toxophilus » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am

I've been looking at a SS Ruger Single Six lately... it's been about 4 years since my last purchase; the 5" GP-100 gets fed regularly.

About the only thing I've done to it is switch out that front sight with a fiber optic which I can see much better.

Image

Image

Image

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:15 pm

toxophilus wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am
I've been looking at a SS Ruger Single Six lately... it's been about 4 years since my last purchase; the 5" GP-100 gets fed regularly.

About the only thing I've done to it is switch out that front sight with a fiber optic which I can see much better.

Image

Image

Image
Nice rig too. Diamond D?

User avatar
toxophilus
Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Colorado; Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby toxophilus » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:31 pm

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:15 pm
toxophilus wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am
I've been looking at a SS Ruger Single Six lately... it's been about 4 years since my last purchase; the 5" GP-100 gets fed regularly.

About the only thing I've done to it is switch out that front sight with a fiber optic which I can see much better.
Nice rig too. Diamond D?
That would be correct, I usually carry this during the Archery season here in Colorado, gotta hit those dusky grouse just right to avoid too much damage + it beats chasing an arrow down the mountain side if I blow right through them (or pin them with an arrow in the tree) ;)

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:33 pm

toxophilus wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:31 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:15 pm
toxophilus wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am
I've been looking at a SS Ruger Single Six lately... it's been about 4 years since my last purchase; the 5" GP-100 gets fed regularly.

About the only thing I've done to it is switch out that front sight with a fiber optic which I can see much better.
Nice rig too. Diamond D?
That would be correct, I usually carry this during the Archery season here in Colorado, gotta hit those dusky grouse just right to avoid too much damage + it beats chasing an arrow down the mountain side if I blow right through them (or pin them with an arrow in the tree) ;)
Haha! No doubt man. No doubt.
My Diamond D holster just came in today for my 629 PC Competitor. I really like it. And, Diamond D is the only place I know of that actually makes a holster just for the Competitor (.44 Magnum)
Image
Image


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests