The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by MacLaren »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:51 pm
I was asking my dad about what .22 LR pistol I should buy and he said “Don’t buy one just take this.” What a generous man!

1873E70E-B95D-4500-8283-50BC12ACCF84.jpeg

S&W Performance Center Model 41

Can’t wait to shoot it.
Wow! That's a PC gun too!
That's super nice bro.
Such a generous offer by your dad.
I have my dad's 1968 Remington Match Master
It has a 26" barrel and a truly unbelievable trigger.
I knew right then why Remington had such a legendary rep back in the day.
Anyways let us know how she shoots.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

He's a good man. I have my grandfather's S&W Masterpiece K22 revolver
that he taught me to shoot with when I was a youth.

Firearms can provide a durable, tactile connection
with our loved ones who have passed away.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
benben

Post by benben »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
I was asking my dad about what .22 LR pistol I should buy and he said “Don’t buy one just take this.” What a generous man!

Can’t wait to shoot it.
Wow! Something tells me that’s a tack driver!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:10 pm
He's a good man. I have my grandfather's S&W Masterpiece K22 revolver
that he taught me to shoot with when I was a youth.

Firearms can provide a durable, tactile connection
with our loved ones who have passed away.
+1
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:

Can’t wait to shoot it.
Beautiful pistol your Dad is a Number 1 . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
remnar

Post by remnar »

BLUETYPEII wrote:

Can’t wait to shoot it.
Sounds like a great dad and looks like a great pistol. :bug-red-white
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Thank you all very much for your kind replies.

I wanted to share 1 more.
CD6D29F3-2E28-459D-AD14-63FE5E564EBA.jpeg
This is a Winchester Model 94 30/30. As best as I can tell by serial number; it was manufactured in 1927 or 1928.
This was my father’s gun, his stepfather bought it for him when he was 16. This is also the first firearm I ever shot. My father passed this down to me when I was in my mid-20s and I’ve cherished it ever since. The gun has had a bit of a rough history. He lent it to someone and they took poor care of it to say the least. We were recently talking about getting it restored. The guy that quoted me said he would charge about $450/$500 to disassemble it completely, check for any issues, do one small repair and Ceracoat it. Y’all think that’s worth $450/$500? (I would be refinishing the furniture my self)
Attachments
14533661-5776-4F41-B88E-0E54B7FC55A1.jpeg
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:19 pm

This is a Winchester Model 94 30/30. As best as I can tell by serial number; it was manufactured in 1927 or 1928.
This was my father’s gun, his stepfather bought it for him when he was 16. This is also the first firearm I ever shot. My father passed this down to me when I was in my mid-20s and I’ve cherished it ever since. The gun has had a bit of a rough history. He lent it to someone and they took poor care of it to say the least. We were recently talking about getting it restored. The guy that quoted me said he would charge about $450/$500 to disassemble it completely, check for any issues, do one small repair and Ceracoat it. Y’all think that’s worth $450/$500? (I would be refinishing the furniture my self)
Shoot OldHoosier62 (Jim) a pm
He can tell you what she's worth.
Jim does Estate firearms auctions. He walking Encyclopedia for firearms.
He's currently restoring my late Uncles Colt 1911 Black Army.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:

Shoot OldHoosier62 (Jim) a pm
He can tell you what she's worth.
Jim does Estate firearms auctions. He walking Encyclopedia for firearms.
He's currently restoring my late Uncles Colt 1911 Black Army.
Thanks
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:

DO NOT CERACOAT THAT WINCHESTER

That is a classic Winchester and as much as I dislike them (Marlin fan) it is an iconic firearm...and a family heirloom. Leave it alone, do not "touch it up"...do not have it re-blued....don't mess with the wood..AND..definitely do not have it coated. In its current condition it is worth approximately $900 +/- to a collector from what I can see. Coated it is a $300 rifle...period. And your coating guy is definitely overcharging you @ $500 for the job....

Opinion bonafides...40+ years in the gun business...gunsmith/FFL/competitive shooter. I do know what i'm talking about.

Have a nice day and Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the heads up Paul....I hopefully prevented a horrible tradgedy.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm thinkin you did Jim
This post ain't that old.
Thanks Jim.
benben

Post by benben »

I absolutely wouldn’t touch that Winchester other than keeping it oiled and stored properly! That was my first thought when I read that post, just kept my mouth shut.

Just glad Jim said what he said! Enjoy that old Lever exactly the way it is!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wear on a lever action is like beauty marks on a fashion model. Don’t change a thing.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:29 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:

That is a classic Winchester and as much as I dislike them (Marlin fan) it is an iconic firearm...and a family heirloom. Leave it alone, do not "touch it up"...do not have it re-blued....don't mess with the wood..AND..definitely do not have it coated. In its current condition it is worth approximately $900 +/- to a collector from what I can see. Coated it is a $300 rifle...period. And your coating guy is definitely overcharging you @ $500 for the job....

Opinion bonafides...40+ years in the gun business...gunsmith/FFL/competitive shooter. I do know what i'm talking about.

Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate your response.

The thing with this Winchester is… it’s already been refinished. In the mid 80s my father lent it to his idiot boss; he let it get wet and left it in a soft gun case. Needless to say it rusted. My father refinished it I don’t know if he did it himself or not but, it’s not the greatest refinish job.

So I’m really curious to know if you stand by your original statement due to the rifles condition.

I won’t do anything till I hear back from you. I don’t want to make a stupid mistake!

Also: The rifle still functions properly as far as I know.

It has some surface pitting.

The bluing is almost worn off in some spots.

I anxiously await your response.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think If you decide to rework the Winchester , Cerecoat would not be my choice . Since the rifle has already gone through modifications it is a toss up . If it was mine I would have a professional repair the mechanical issues and keep as is . If you do decide to do a restoration I definitely would take the rifle to more than one expert to discuss what you would like to do . If you decide to restore spend your money wisely one time . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:41 pm
OldHoosier62 wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:

The thing with this Winchester is… it’s already been refinished. In the mid 80s my father lent it to his idiot boss; he let it get wet and left it in a soft gun case. Needless to say it rusted. My father refinished it I don’t know if he did it himself or not but, it’s not the greatest refinish job.

So I’m really curious to know if you stand by your original statement due to the rifles condition.

I won’t do anything till I hear back from you. I don’t want to make a stupid mistake!

Sold a moderately worn, spot cold-blued and slightly pitted 94 from 1934 last auction....good pictures and full disclosure and it still brought $750+ tax, transfer and shipping. If it has a mechanical problem, have it fixed...otherwise let it be what it is. A nice classic old rifle with lots of family history. You can pick up a modern beater Winchester/ USRAC Model 94 for $350-$400 to modify to your hearts content. You'll thank me later.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:32 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:41 pm
OldHoosier62 wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:

Sold a moderately worn, spot cold-blued and slightly pitted 94 from 1934 last auction....good pictures and full disclosure and it still brought $750+ tax, transfer and shipping. If it has a mechanical problem, have it fixed...otherwise let it be what it is. A nice classic old rifle with lots of family history. You can pick up a modern beater Winchester/ USRAC Model 94 for $350-$400 to modify to your hearts content. You'll thank me later.
Nope I’ll thank you now. I really appreciate you stopping me from doing something stupid. I’m definitely going to leave it as it is.

Happy Thanksgiving
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
davecleghan

Post by davecleghan »

GLOCK 20 Gen4
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Last piece I bought was back in March, SW shield .45 2.0. I wanted a lightweight concealable single stack .45 not many options in my state unless you're a LEO.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:21 pm
I need a short barrel 357 wheel gun, help me out Paul!
Sp101 is a nice gun
Gp100 is bigger, keep an eye out for a Wiley clapp edition--love mine
SW 686/586
SW 360 airweight...kicks hard so beware

Can't go wrong with either a smith or ruger....no need to look anywhere else.