The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by Mad Mac »

Yours are bigger than mine.
Not a new pistol but a new holster rig I'm trying out.

After reading this article by Daniel McElrath,
shootingillustrated.com/ankle-holsters
I decided to give one a try.

The author was enthusiastic about
the boned leather Ritchie holster.

Being that I am a cheap old man,
an inexpensive, ambidextrous, handgun fluid
Comfortac ankle holster was my choice
before dropping $150 on a model specific Ritchie

It allows one to try out any number of handguns
before spending big bucks on a single make and model
molded kydex or boned leather ankle holster.
In my case a Kel-tec P3AT, a Kel-tec PF9 and a .45 XDs.

Admittedly, the draw is not at once endearing,
but in my everyday attire, blue jeans and a T-shirt,
The PF9 quickly became unobtrusive and invisible.
There seemed no need to even try the diminutive P-3AT.

Comfortac sent me a discount code
good for another 20% off the already discounted price.
I used it to buy a different ankle holster.
The Ultimate Ankle Holster,
one without the over the calf garter strap.
Contrary to the picture on their website,
it has no magazine pouch.

It is possible to carry an XDs
but my slim, light PF9 rides better in the Comfortac spandex.
The heavier XDs bobs around a little.
That probably would not be a problem with a leather Ritchie.

(I have no association with Comfortac or Ritchie Holsters.)

It only took a few days to receive my Ultimate Ankle Holster.
I promptly strapped on my .45 XDs
and wore it the rest of the day running errands and working on my truck.
Basically forgot that I had it on.

Also I opted not to use the tie down strap.
It holds down the grip safety on an XDs.
The pistol felt secure without the tie down. I may cut it off.

For my lifestyle, this is working well.
I wear jeans every day, and they are a bit long.
They provide ample coverage even when sitting,
cuffs breaking at the instep,
a custom I carried over from my motorcycle days.
A rider does not look cool rolling down the highway
with socks showing.
Relaxed fit or boot jeans would be a good choice.

Boot socks add a layer of comfort between the rig and the leg.
Boots or shoes that cover the ankle would be preferable as
the muzzle ends up resting on the collar of the boot.

Concealed carry has compromises.
This may be one of the better ones.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice Mac. I could be wrong but, I believe Ritchie learned from Lou Alessi and Tom Kulwicki of Alessi Leather.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

benben wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:55 am
and they function 100%! I think I'm still going to order this Solum Tool extension, I've been carrying a Glock 26 since 2005, daily, but I'm pretty committed to carrying this P2000sk right now!
If you haven't already explored this option, you might like the LEM trigger. My P2000SK came this way from the factory, and I like it so much that I converted my other HK's.
benben

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:51 pm
benben wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:55 am
and they function 100%! I think I'm still going to order this Solum Tool extension, I've been carrying a Glock 26 since 2005, daily, but I'm pretty committed to carrying this P2000sk right now!
If you haven't already explored this option, you might like the LEM trigger. My P2000SK came this way from the factory, and I like it so much that I converted my other HK's.
I have four LEM’s, in fact my only non LEM HK is my USP Custom Combat which is a DA/SA.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:19 pm
Nice Mac. I could be wrong but, I believe Ritchie learned from Lou Alessi and Tom Kulwicki of Alessi Leather.

You are correct, Sir. McElrath touts the Alessi design in his article.

"The best ankle holster design I’ve found was made by a guy named Lou Alessi and offered by his eponymous company. The bad news? Both he and his successor passed away and the business went with them. The good news? Alessi’s protégé, Skip Ritchie, has his own company (ritchieholsters.com) now and offers the same high-quality, felt-backed, vegetable-tanned leather holster (among others). "
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
benben

Post by benben »

CF212074-9D79-4BA2-8276-BDB895F778D3.jpeg
78CC66B3-81D5-4900-A00E-7663C35A95B1.jpeg
5F4C4F01-7430-44EF-B56A-9A3BB708F0C6.jpeg
Rusty, a couple of factory mag options for my P2000sk.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:17 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:19 pm

You are correct, Sir. McElrath touts the Alessi design in his article.

"The best ankle holster design I’ve found was made by a guy named Lou Alessi and offered by his eponymous company. The bad news? Both he and his successor passed away and the business went with them. The good news? Alessi’s protégé, Skip Ritchie, has his own company (ritchieholsters.com) now and offers the same high-quality, felt-backed, vegetable-tanned leather holster (among others). "
Awesome. Very nice.
I really need to get a Ritchie holster. I've got an Alessi Shoulder Rig. Super nice & comfy.
benben

Post by benben »

6252E890-57C8-4310-A6BE-84009B05567D.jpeg
A9CDB10F-B263-4087-A631-962465919DB0.jpeg
25274B6F-4E33-4FC9-978B-6C7B622B861C.jpeg
Still think I’m going to order the Solum Tool extension! But the bottom line is I’m going to start looking for a standard 9mm P2000 V2, that’s the next pistol I’m buying!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, the little Bren, finally came in.
I think the weather out west may have been the reason it took about 9 days to get to my lgs
I've never saw a pistol take over 3 days to get to my lgs
At any rate, I love it so far. I already have 2 805 Bren ps1 guns (the original 11.5") and, I didn't really know whether I would like the 2Ms version or not. Actually, I never really intended on buying a new Bren 2 Ms
I wanted to wait and the the Bren BR (7.62x51) but, it doesn't look like they'll be released any time soon (now that I just said that, watch them become available next month, lol) - but, again I still had no intention of buying a Bren 2 Ms. They usually go for right at $2k before taxes, cc fee and shipping cost. (About $2,200 all in)
But, a few days before Christmas I was pursuing Gun Broker and saw that this 8" version was up for auction with no reserve. The auction had about 3 days to go and the bid was about $800? At any rate, I thought what the heck, let's try. The 8" version is my favorite of the new Brens anyways. I think it looks the best too.
So, I thought let's take a shot and I set my max bid to $1,350 knowing full well I wouldn't get it. I just knew that it would go for at the very least $1,600 - well, so I just went ahead and actually forgot about the auction. It was a day after the auction ended when I finally thought to look. I wanted to see how much it went for. And, when I looked, I was shocked. I had won it for $1,302.00 - Lol, it was bittersweet because it's an unheard of price for a new Bren 2 Ms but, also I really didn't think I would like the Bren 2 Ms that much.
Well, after having her in hand I can say I love it so far. The trigger is excellent imo. Very light and fairly crisp.
But, ya know the real reason that I made a bid was because I played a hunch. I wandered if it being sold close to Christmas if everyone like me was either broke already or not even thinking about gun auctions.
Ya know, I may be on to something as I looked around a few days after my auction was over and I saw another one just like mine go up for auction and it went for $1,237.00! And, I also saw where a new 6" Colt Python went for $1,478.00!! However these dealers have prolly learned a valuable lesson as well. We shall see next Christmas lol.....anyways, here's some pics and thanks for letting me share gang.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

She's pretty hot off the press too. According to the test target she was test fired October 26, 2021
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

No new guns, but I did buy a new holster from Alabama Holster (https://alabamaholster.com). I've been running one of their kydex holsters for EDC for 7 or 8 years and I managed to crack the thumb catch off, so I re-ordered the same one.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Haven’t bought a new gun in a little bit. Been buying lots of ammo and a safe. I think my next gun purchase will be a S&W M&P 10mm. Almost pulled the trigger, no pun intended, the other night. I’ll wait until my safe gets here and I can finally organize all my stuff.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'll be curious what you think of the M&P 10mm. I own the 10mm Glock as well as a .460 rowland conversion from .45. I prefer the versatility of the 460 rowland, but you have to be loading for yourself to really take advantage of it. 10mm seems to be enjoying a renaissance and hopefully that will generate a wider 10mm ammo selection.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:30 am
Well, the little Bren, finally came in. (7.62x51) ...no intention of buying a Bren 2 Ms.
8" version is my favorite of the new Brens anyways. I think it looks the best too.
Outstanding, MacLaren. That is an awesome pistol.
Is this a great country or what.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:19 pm
I'll be curious what you think of the M&P 10mm. I own the 10mm Glock as well as a .460 rowland conversion from .45. I prefer the versatility of the 460 rowland, but you have to be loading for yourself to really take advantage of it. 10mm seems to be enjoying a renaissance and hopefully that will generate a wider 10mm ammo selection.
I have a Glock model 40 MOS. I like the fact that’s it’s a full size 10mm, but Glocks just don’t fit my hand well. I’m thinking the M&P will be more like my H&K VP9 in terms of ergos.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:29 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Well, the little Bren, finally came in. (7.62x51) ...no intention of buying a Bren 2 Ms.
8" version is my favorite of the new Brens anyways. I think it looks the best too.
Outstanding, MacLaren. That is an awesome pistol.
Is this a great country or what.
Thanks Mac! & amen. It sure is!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Bloody clever how the flash arrestor/muzzle brake doubles as a hole saw, ay Paul?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:39 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Bloody clever how the flash arrestor/muzzle brake doubles as a hole saw, ay Paul?
Well, I'm afraid I must take the credit for that one old chap, that's exactly how the doctor ordered her up :winking-tongue
sok

Post by sok »

Beautiful gun.

I have more guns than I want to mention, but I still consider myself a bit of a novice. My dad taught me to shoot when I was a kid. Then at around ten years old, I took some gun safety classes and my parents set me loose to the New Mexico irrigation channels with a .22 and single shot .410. As obsessed as I have been over knives and flashlights, it never carried over to guns. I have a few slots that I keep filled with different types. I never was a hunter in particular or in law enforcement, so maybe that is it.

Anyways, I feel safer knowing that people like you guys carry. An armed society is a polite society.

My most recent purchase was a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 and Juliet 3 Micro. I have them mounted on my latest gun purchase S&W 15-22. i can't wait to go out and sight them in.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That flaming tornado Gucci muzzle brake
really looks cool MacLaren, but it reminded me.
I put a muzzle brake on my new 6.5 Creedmoor.
Without bothering to shoot it, I took it off again
because I read that they make a rifle louder
and stuff may blow back in your face.
Anyone have any experience in that regard?
Still have not gotten around to shooting the 6.5CM.