The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manixguy@1994

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:36 am

Had an itch and in a moment of weakness picked up a Sig M18. Have had many questions as to why I went with the 18 and not 17. Well, I have an Arex Delta L (4.5" barrel) so I have that covered, and my Beretta APX A1 is 4.25. Only fitting I have a 4", plus I think the 18 looks more balanced!

Took her to the range yesterday and only got about 100 rounds down the pipe (Palmetto aac 9mm was NOT cooperating, lots of duds and even a blown primer, Norma 9mm ran fine in both the sig and arex so, going to say it's the ammo).

Gotta say, I'm a fan. Accurate, easy to shoot. Have a holster coming and just ordered 2 more 21 round mags. Lol
Good choice , I like mine a lot . I had the X Compact and kept the X Carry . Switched out to Graygun module for better grip . Congrats on your buy ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:00 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:36 am

Had an itch and in a moment of weakness picked up a Sig M18. Have had many questions as to why I went with the 18 and not 17. Well, I have an Arex Delta L (4.5" barrel) so I have that covered, and my Beretta APX A1 is 4.25. Only fitting I have a 4", plus I think the 18 looks more balanced!

Took her to the range yesterday and only got about 100 rounds down the pipe (Palmetto aac 9mm was NOT cooperating, lots of duds and even a blown primer, Norma 9mm ran fine in both the sig and arex so, going to say it's the ammo).

Gotta say, I'm a fan. Accurate, easy to shoot. Have a holster coming and just ordered 2 more 21 round mags. Lol
Good choice , I like mine a lot . I had the X Compact and kept the X Carry . Switched out to Graygun module for better grip . Congrats on your buy ? MG2
Very nice! Haven't decided on if I'm going to do a grip swap. I thought I may have had traction problems initially but I found that to not be the case. It was very controllable. If anything the stock grip (medium) may be a little fat! Especially compared to my Arex. But it is comfortable and easy to use, so I'll probably stick with it for a while.

Can't wait to go shooting again... Really upped my game lately doing a ton of dry fire. Noticed one time when clearing at the range that I dipped the muzzle when the chamber was empty and made a mental note to work on that. Didn't drop it a single time when I had a round not go off (and there were many...). So, mission accomplished! Groups are getting better too, but suffered when I was getting frustrated with the ammo. 25 yard shots much better as well. 20 shots, all hit with a couple fliers (and one no bang). 10 yard shots were a piece of cake.

Also found out we have competitions locally... Might start getting into that.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Ordered a Sig P365 from Rural King for $399 . waiting to pick it up
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm going holster shopping today, both physically and if necessary online. I got a Stealth Gear IWB for my SP101 but I don't love it, I think I'd rather go OWB with a revolver and carry it under a shirt/jacket. It may also just be the holster itself...I love my Stealth Gear holsters, they're the only holster I actually carry but I think kydex just isn't right for a revolver/cylinder so I may also consider a full leather IWB holster. I'm not at all an appendix carry guy so that's absolutely not an option, and it's a bit too heavy for pocket carry and would print like a mofo in jeans anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:07 am
I'm going holster shopping today, both physically and if necessary online. I got a Stealth Gear IWB for my SP101 but I don't love it, I think I'd rather go OWB with a revolver and carry it under a shirt/jacket. It may also just be the holster itself...I love my Stealth Gear holsters, they're the only holster I actually carry but I think kydex just isn't right for a revolver/cylinder so I may also consider a full leather IWB holster. I'm not at all an appendix carry guy so that's absolutely not an option, and it's a bit too heavy for pocket carry and would print like a mofo in jeans anyway.
I’m not sure but have you looked at de Santis holsters ? Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Holster huntin can be fun, David.
Lot of good options. Like Dan mentioned, DeSantis - I like their Speed Scabbard. I also love the holster Simply Rugged did for me. They're out of Prescott, Arizona. There's also Triple K out of San Diego, Ca
I have one of their holsters for my Model 19-3
But, I will say this. Neither the DeSantis or Triple K hold a candle to the Simply Rugged I had made for my 27-2. Don't get me wrong, both the DeSantis & Triple K are fine holsters. It's just that Triple K has a better fit and fit and finish. But, it's more expensive as well. The next holster I'll get will be a Tucker Leather holster. They are very nice...
Here's some pics of what I have -
Simply Rugged Hand Carved Celtic Knot w/Basketweave & Border Stamping - David, I also have their Chesty Puller Suspension System & its just super nice - if your gonna be in the woods and even when way out there fishin- it's a superb option imo- it rides on your chest and supremely comfy- if ya wanna know more just lemme knkw and I'll post up more pics and go into greater detail. For a Pancake Holster this things is superb- he also stamped my initials & model # of my revolver- & I didn't even ask Rob to do that. Great people at Simply Rugged.
Here's my Triple K holster. Not as good a fit as the Simply Rugged but, nonetheless a very good fit and good leather. Triple K Leather Speedloaders in particular are just super nice.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Urban Carry Lock Leather holster
has the comfort and beauty of leather
and the security of a kydex trigger guard lock
that can be tuned to suit your draw preference.
I bought one for a Kel-Tec PF-9,
a Springfield XDs and a Kimber Micro 9.
https://urbancarryholsters.com/order-ne ... lster.html

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice Mac!
That looks like a winner -
Especially and as the name indicates urban/city area. Yeah, that looks like a winner
Living out in the country like I do, I tend forget the security aspect of a holster and the need for it
That holster really checks all the boxes
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Any luck today, David?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:35 pm
Any luck today, David?

No I got caught up doing stuff around the house, didn't get to do much more than window shopping online.

This whole thing (as I'm sure you all know all too well) is akin to boot shopping, you really need to try them on to know if you'll like them. I keep thinking about Hickok45's "holster drawer" he always talks about.

My issue/concern is basically just trying to conceal this SP101 as well as I can other semi autos, but I'm thinking that may just not be realistic and I may be looking for a holster to solve a problem that is more of a gun problem and not a holster problem.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great added suggestions Paul . All systems are top notch , Simply Rugged attention to small details makes them a winner . A local gun / knife show make be helpful for a hands on Dave . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Some beautiful leather there. Sadly I've gone to pretty much all kydex or hybrids. Comptac CTAC for my EDC HK45C has held up great in our hot humid summers.

Have a guy doing custom kydex for my guns setup for night time with retention on the IR lights. They're not pretty but they're functional and when they get muddy or sweated up clean up easily.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bought a CZ 457 Varmint in .22 LR.
I keep hearing these are very nice 22 rifles.
We shall see how she does against my 1968 Remington Matchmaster.
The main reason I bought it is because I wanna start teaching my daughter to shoot. I have the Matchmaster, sure. But, it has a 26" barrel and its heavy. Although, it's has the finest trigger you'll ever feel on any rifle, period. Remington, like Smith & Wesson in their hey day were unbeatable imo.
At any rate, this will be a better rifle to teach her with because it'll be much easier for her to handle.
I'll post up some pics when it arrives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ok so my holster purchase adventure took an odd twist and out of curiosity I ordered a Sticky Holster for the SP101.

*Extremely skeptical*

But it was pretty cheap as far as holsters go so I figured I'd try it just out of curiosity.

I gotta say, it stays out a lot better than I expected, but also nowhere near as secure as a clipped or belt looped holster. I'm going to wear it around the house a while and see how I feel about it.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Excuse my ignorance, David. But what is a sticky holster? Would you mind posting up a pic, please?
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:13 pm
Ok so my holster purchase adventure took an odd twist and out of curiosity I ordered a Sticky Holster for the SP101.

*Extremely skeptical*

But it was pretty cheap as far as holsters go so I figured I'd try it just out of curiosity.

I gotta say, it stays out a lot better than I expected, but also nowhere near as secure as a clipped or belt looped holster. I'm going to wear it around the house a while and see how I feel about it.
Keep us posted on it, I've seen those things all over. I have a 2.25" sp101 that I love.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:06 am
Great added suggestions Paul . All systems are top notch , Simply Rugged attention to small details makes them a winner . A local gun / knife show make be helpful for a hands on Dave . Dan
Sorry for the late reply but, thanks Dan! 😊
I really love the Simply Rugged Leather.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oops!! Wrong thread!
Last edited by MacLaren on Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:21 pm
Excuse my ignorance, David. But what is a sticky holster? Would you mind posting up a pic, please?

It's a simple pouch holster but the material on the outside is really grippy, not literally sticky like tape but grippy enough that when sandwiched between your hip and pants it makes enough friction to hold the holster where you put it.

I've been poking around the house with my SP101 loaded down with .357 and I've got this thing in some fleece PJ pants and it hasn't fell out yet lol.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:34 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:21 pm

It's a simple pouch holster but the material on the outside is really grippy, not literally sticky like tape but grippy enough that when sandwiched between your hip and pants it makes enough friction to hold the holster where you put it.

I've been poking around the house with my SP101 loaded down with .357 and I've got this thing in some fleece PJ pants and it hasn't fell out yet lol.
Oh yeah! I remember those now.
Hey, if it works and you like it, that's all that matters.
Seems pretty dang neat to me.