The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by Mad Mac »

That's a fine collection. Love the Dan Wesson Pistol Pak.

A friend of mine had one but no feeler gauge.
Exploring possibilities with my micrometer I made one for him.
Who knew that a Keystone Light can was .006 of an inch thick.
Or at least it was around 1990.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

got me a Grand Power K22 X-Trim .22lr for competition use.. shoots straight and got a very nice trigger from the factory. I was gunna get one of those ruger mk4s but i prefer the controls on the grand power over the ruger. having used both i find it easier and faster to clear any jams, mag swaps, saftey on/off for holster use ect on the grand power than the ruger.

that was the last gun i got, but might get myself a new hunting rifle soon tho...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

NorWest_05 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:50 pm
got me a Grand Power K22 X-Trim .22lr for competition use.. shoots straight and got a very nice trigger from the factory. I was gunna get one of those ruger mk4s but i prefer the controls on the grand power over the ruger. having used both i find it easier and faster to clear any jams, mag swaps, saftey on/off for holster use ect on the grand power than the ruger.

that was the last gun i got, but might get myself a new hunting rifle soon tho...
Let's see it. Post up q pic, please.
I would like to see what it looks like. I'm unfamiliar with that brand and model.
And, congratulations!
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

@MacLaren here she is..
its quite interesting, it has a fixed barrel. and some of their other 9mm pistols have rotating barrels which apparently helps a lot with recoil, havent shot one of those yet though,,
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Pretty boring to some but I bought my first Glock ever. In my state, Glocks are off limits to civilians. Always wanted to check one out, so the day I graduated from the academy I went to shop and used my credentials on a new Blue label G19.5! A week later I had to go back to buy the G45 sitting in the case too! 2 Glocks in one week!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

NorWest_05 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:07 pm
@MacLaren here she is..
its quite interesting, it has a fixed barrel. and some of their other 9mm pistols have rotating barrels which apparently helps a lot with recoil, havent shot one of those yet though,,
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'll bet she's shoots great!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:27 am
Pretty boring to some but I bought my first Glock ever. In my state, Glocks are off limits to civilians. Always wanted to check one out, so the day I graduated from the academy I went to shop and used my credentials on a new Blue label G19.5! A week later I had to go back to buy the G45 sitting in the case too! 2 Glocks in one week!
Awesome! Glocks will never be boring to me....
Post up some pics!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
I graduated from the academy
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
glocks arent boring to me! some photos would be awesome as well,, ;)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Here is my daughter a few weeks ago with the Glock 19 issued to her Special Agent husband by the Secret Service to replace his Sig Sauer P229 double-action 357 SIG. She got bored, not with the striker fired Glock but with my pistol range, and stepped over to the rifle range. This is a 12 inch steel plate she was ringing from 100 yards.

After I fired a few rounds, at the very close range pistol target, I had to confess that in spite of my hide bound bias in favor of the single action 1911 and against striker fired pistols the Glock 19 was friendly and intuitive to shoot well with a nice trigger pull. But wait. There's more.

My hired hand brought his new striker fired Ruger EC9s to work yesterday. That is a sweet little pistol. Now my disdain for striker fired pistols is only exceeded by my dislike for double action pistols such as my own Kel-Tec PF9. The trigger pull is pull, pull some more, almost there, bang. It isn't easy trying to keep up with you youngsters.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:04 am
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
I graduated from the academy
Ha!! I LOVED watching that movie when I was a kid!!
Tackleberry!!!!!!!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The children and grandchildren had such a good time shooting
that I splurged and added a USPSA style torso steel plate from shootingtargets7.
This one omits the D ring but has the A, B and C rings.
A homemade magnetic stencil will be used to define them in the future.

Notice the black 6-inch plate half visible. Back in the '80s when I was shooting,
some stages would have a cardboard torso turned over to the white side
and laid on top of another torso target concealing most of it.

Two hits were required on a cardboard torso.
A head shot could earn 4 or 5 points each, maximum 10 points.
Failing to put two in the target was minus 10 points for each miss.
Hitting the "hostage" was minus 20 points.
The loss of points was nothing compared to the shame
of a bullet hole appearing in the pristine white torso
as 20 to 50 other shooters watched.

The same daughter previously pictured shot a match with me.
There was no need for me to try and help her.
There were plenty of volunteers for that.

Shooting USPSA matches was a lot of fun. Now that ammo is reasonably priced,
if you can find one near you, give it a try. https://uspsa.org/matches
Shoot what you brung.

In the club I was with, it was wise to bring about 120 rounds to a match.
That got me into reloading .45 ACP. One 8-round magazine in the pistol,
four on the belt and one in my pocket was my usual set up.
You wonder nines may only need two extra magazines,
but I don't know what all the rules are now.
benben

Post by benben »

F9B2580C-1E9C-429D-AF1C-B72A333F270B.jpeg
Not my HK, belongs to my boss. Me and him went to a fairly local gun show, he said he wasn’t leaving there without buying a new pistol, and I was picking it out for him! :astonished

It came down to this OD Green HK VP9 and a Shadow Systems MR920, both great but it came down to the ergonomics of the VP9, he said it fit his hand like it was made for him.

I kept it, cleaned out the factory grease and lubed it up and got it ready to shoot. Me, my daughter and her BF took it to the range and put 250 rounds through it. Used 124gr. S&B ammo, it ran perfect and was very accurate. The boyfriend said a VP9 will absolutely be his first handgun purchase!

I’ve resisted even looking at one, I’m old school and believe HK’s are supposed to be hammer guns even though HK introduced the striker fired VP70 in 1970.

Right outta the box the trigger was very nice, much easier pistol to shoot than my USP’s, there’s a reason it’s a striker fired World these days! I’ve got several ahead of the VP9 in the queue but I’ll eventually own one! Very impressive pistol.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

benben wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:34 pm
F9B2580C-1E9C-429D-AF1C-B72A333F270B.jpegNot my HK, belongs to my boss. Me and him went to a fairly local gun show, he said he wasn’t leaving there without buying a new pistol, and I was picking it out for him! :astonished

It came down to this OD Green HK VP9 and a Shadow Systems MR920, both great but it came down to the ergonomics of the VP9, he said it fit his hand like it was made for him.

I kept it, cleaned out the factory grease and lubed it up and got it ready to shoot. Me, my daughter and her BF took it to the range and put 250 rounds through it. Used 124gr. S&B ammo, it ran perfect and was very accurate. The boyfriend said a VP9 will absolutely be his first handgun purchase!

I’ve resisted even looking at one, I’m old school and believe HK’s are supposed to be hammer guns even though HK introduced the striker fired VP70 in 1970.

Right outta the box the trigger was very nice, much easier pistol to shoot than my USP’s, there’s a reason it’s a striker fired World these days! I’ve got several ahead of the VP9 in the queue but I’ll eventually own one! Very impressive pistol.
No other pistol fits my hand like my VP9. It’s almost as if it was made just for me.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Now that is a righteous "Green New Deal".
benben

Post by benben »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Now that is a righteous "Green New Deal".
Ha…I’m a sucker for OD Green!
470840A3-B29B-4E0F-B5E7-51792FFC901D.jpeg
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

She's a slick side now. Aero had a March madness sale, and I've been wanting to ditch the forward assist (as Daddy Stoner intended) and I couldn't pass up $60 for a new upper receiver. Swapped everything over and she works great! H2 buffer smooths out the recoil (carbine buffer and gas system is WAY overgassed). Still overgassed, but not too excessive and helps reliability.

Pew pew!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:28 am

She's a slick side now. Aero had a March madness sale, and I've been wanting to ditch the forward assist (as Daddy Stoner intended) and I couldn't pass up $60 for a new upper receiver. Swapped everything over and she works great! H2 buffer smooths out the recoil (carbine buffer and gas system is WAY overgassed). Still overgassed, but not too excessive and helps reliability.

Pew pew!
Now that is sweet!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

T.J. wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:49 am
soc_monki wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:28 am

Pew pew!
Now that is sweet!
Thanks! I need to put more rounds down range, it's so addictive... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Technically, this is not a new gun. It's an old gun with a makeover. The new grip module is from Wilson Combat, and the trigger is Armory Craft. I was a little concerned about taking apart the Fire Control Unit, but there were a couple YouTube videos. I'm really glad I watched them. A relatively simple parts swap could have turned into quite the debacle had I just jumped right in.

Before:
IMG_5808.jpeg

Mid-Project:
IMG_5830.jpeg

After:
IMG_5833.jpeg