The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm another Underwood fan. I recently changed over to the 38 sp 150 grain non +P wadcutter load in my titanium 5 shot 38 sp . I had been carrying Federal 130 grain HST +P which is a good load too but I haven't seen any new stuff in a while. Mine are about 3 years old and needed to be cycled so the underwood is what I came up with.

I carry Underwood 158 +P grain hard cast Keith loads in my full size 4 inch 38 sp revolver. I wouldn't recommend them for a lightweight 1-7/8th barrel 38 due to the possibility of setback.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:08 pm
ImageMerry Christmas buddy . I made a better different one for you in General . Dan
I just saw this, this morning!
Thanks so much, Dan! & Merry Christmas!!
rgc

Post by rgc »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:52 am
I'm another Underwood fan. I recently changed over to the 38 sp 150 grain non +P wadcutter load in my titanium 5 shot 38 sp . I had been carrying Federal 130 grain HST +P which is a good load too but I haven't seen any new stuff in a while. Mine are about 3 years old and needed to be cycled so the underwood is what I came up with.

I carry Underwood 158 +P grain hard cast Keith loads in my full size 4 inch 38 sp revolver. I wouldn't recommend them for a lightweight 1-7/8th barrel 38 due to the possibility of setback.
Haven't seen those but I use the Buffalo Bore version of the 158 L.S.W.C.H.P. in my LCR. Sometimes the old school loads and bullets worked and still work as well as anything these days.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Haven't seen those but I use the Buffalo Bore version of the 158 L.S.W.C.H.P. in my LCR. Sometimes the old school loads and bullets worked and still work as well as anything these days.
Yep, I keep it simple. Not many loads will expand reliably out of the short bbl. so I go a different way with those. The 4 inch 38 sp. is different and with good loads they can be counted on to open but even if it doesn't it will do a good job. The Buffalo bore you are using is about as good as it gets without going up to 357 with 4 inch or longer barrels.

I use the old Keith loading but can and have used the one you are using now and felt about as confident with it as I can be with a 38 revolver.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Fellas, they ain't nothin works as good as those Xtreme Defenders. They are something else
Joe makes a good point about a hollow point expanding out of a snubby. But, with these it's a moot point. The wound cavity they make is double any hollow point on the market.
Those are 100gr xtreme Defenders- they also make a +P version
But, those hardcast bullets are mean too. They'll penetrate.
Last edited by MacLaren on Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Honestly fellas, there's absolutely nothing wring with using .38 spc +P loads. It's a great round imo
Just like those 130gr +P hst rounds you mentioned, Joe.
I especially like the 125gr jhp +P in .38spc
It's very accurate round with good power.
Not nearly as harsh as a .357 magnum
I reckon what I'm tryin to say, is that the .38spc is a great round. A lot of people overlook it. I reckon I've & probably you too, Joe have carried more .38 spc in our lifetime than any other hand gun ammo
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:32 am
Honestly fellas, there's absolutely nothing wring with using .38 spc +P loads. It's a great round imo
I reckon what I'm tryin to say, is that the .38spc is a great round. A lot of people overlook it. I reckon I've & probably you too, Joe have carried more .38 spc in our lifetime than any other hand gun ammo
With sooo many new modern hunting and defensive cartridges / bullet designs now, it's easy to forget the old, very effective rounds of yesteryear!

How could you possibly put a number on the amount of Deer that's been taken with a 30/30 lever rifle over the years just in North America, you can't! Same with a .38 / .357 revolver, how many men were removed from this earth because of those two rounds and a wheel gun??
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Well said guys ! I can tell you from first hand experience a 38 Special will do the job in defense . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:42 am
MacLaren wrote:
With sooo many new modern hunting and defensive cartridges / bullet designs now, it's easy to forget the old, very effective rounds of yesteryear!

How could you possibly put a number on the amount of Deer that's been taken with a 30/30 lever rifle over the years just in North America, you can't! Same with a .38 / .357 revolver, how many men were removed from this earth because of those two rounds and a wheel gun??
Thanks benben
I sure hope I didn't come across as a know it all
It's just those Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Defenders are just like nothin else man. Those imo, are the beat self defense rounds
But, as to what you said, your spit on imo
30-30 has killed more deer than any other rifle round.
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:00 am
benben wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:42 am
MacLaren wrote:

Thanks benben
I sure hope I didn't come across as a know it all
It's just those Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Defenders are just like nothin else man. Those imo, are the beat self defense rounds
But, as to what you said, your spit on imo
30-30 has killed more deer than any other rifle round.
No, I didn’t think that at all, in fact I’ve now jumped on the Underwood bandwagon!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yeah, I had a career of carrying first 110 then 125 grain jhp rounds from all the big manufacturers and I never wasn't confident in them with a good hit. The PERT team could carry 357 125 grain jhp when deployed but most of the time it was 38 sp. I still carry it for self defense because around the house a 357 can temporarily deafen and blind me in a dark small bedroom at night here. My carrying a medium frame S&W 4 inch for a career means I'm about as comfortable carrying it as I can be and I can point shoot, use left or right hand as well as all the other things we trained at for 30 years. Same thing as the muscle memory carrying my Endura since 1992. That muscle memory helps in stressful and less than ideal conditions.

I haven't bought any Lehigh Xtreme Defenders yet but I have seen gel tests on Youtube. They look good but until I have put some through my revolvers I won't carry anything for defense. I will get around to them eventually.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya Joe. A good K frame S&W is so hard to beat. My dad favored a model 19 over the 27 - they handle much better. (at least he thought )
He shot a lot of competition & taught combat firearms to law enforcement as well.
But, yeah man, the K frame whether a model 19, 66, 64, 65 and however many there are, are just really nice.
On a side note, I saw where ya mentioned the PERT Team. They were initially gonna name it the Fast Action Rspsonse Team - but, those initials didn't turn out to well, lol....hence the Prison Emergency Response Team was born (PERT)
Those men were ready to freakin rock rocknroll
Heck, they had to be. I'm sure you know.
Well, it's gonna be -35° in the morning- with the wind chill factored in.
I'm gonna make sure everything here is gtg
rgc

Post by rgc »

Decent 9mm self defense ammo at a good price point . . .
https://palmettostatearmory.com/norma-a ... 40020.html
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

rgc wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:14 am
Thats a super good deal. I really like Norma.
rgc

Post by rgc »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:46 pm
rgc wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:14 am
Thats a super good deal. I really like Norma.
Yeah, I saw some tests Kentucky Ballistics did on it and through a hoody and t-shirt every bullet expanded. Both myself and a buddy I have went ahead and ordered some. Did I "need" more 9mm? Probably not but then again I have more Spyderco's right now than I have pockets in my jeans.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Most recent, a nice used S&W 19-5 at a price too good to pass on:

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

z1r wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:28 pm
Most recent, a nice used S&W 19-5 at a price too good to pass on:

Congratulations!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just recently re-finished the Goncalo Alves Target Stocks for my 27-2 3.5" gun. This is the first time I've ever done this. So, if they don't look right, just be easy on me lol..
Now, to be sure, this '68 model 27-2 3.5" came with Magna Stocks, not the Goncalo Alves Target Stocks that I just refinished. A lot of S&W people would frown on re-finishing anything. But, I thought, what the heck. It's not like I'll ever sell this one anyways, plus the stocks that came with it are all original anyways. I just really like the look & feel of the Goncalo Alves Target Stocks better.
Well, here goes....a before & after pic
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Love those things Z1r! I even got to go to armorers school for the K frame S&W's. I carried various model 10, 15, and 65's over my career and there is not much I can't do with them. If something wears out it can be fixed but that is rare. The only guy I know that did used them in competition and shot thousands per week for a several years that I knew him. The trigger kept getting smoother.

I have seen Colt revolvers go out of time long before I thought they should but S&W and yes, Rugers will last. I even give the edge to Rugers if full power loads by the thousands are going through them but who can afford that now?

I have seen a lot of stuff on those Norma Monolithic 9mm loads and they seem to be a really good load. In the past not much research money was spent in Europe for JHP ammo just because. Things have changed.

Mac, those Goncalo Alves stocks probably look better than they did new. You did good work. Keep doing them like that every few hundred years and they should be fine. :) That is some tough, dense wood.

Joe
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

No proper handguns for us in the UK >:[ so hopefully a rifle counts:

Marlin 1895 GSBL in 45-70, which I've cursed by bolting on tacticool trinkets:

The large meplat, 460gr Mjöllnir bullet knocks things over pretty well: