The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RexGig0

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by RexGig0 »

My most-recent firearms addition is a Glock G26, Gen3. I had sold my previous G26, a Gen4, to one of my former rookies, before I retired, as compact nines had become too much for my aging, aching right wrist. (I also traded-away my three G19 pistols, only keeping full-sized Glocks.) Well, I soon realized that a G26 is just too useful, to be without one, even if I will only ever shoot it with my healthier left hand. As the panic-demic shortages of Glocks started being mitigated, a local dealer got a shipment of Gen3 Glocks, and I bought the G26.

I was on the look-out for pre-Gen5, as I still had some excellent holsters, that would not accommodate the “ambidextrous” slide manipulation lever.
benben

Post by benben »

RexGig0 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:47 pm
My most-recent firearms addition is a Glock G26, Gen3. I had sold my previous G26, a Gen4, to one of my former rookies, before I retired, as compact nines had become too much for my aging, aching right wrist. (I also traded-away my three G19 pistols, only keeping full-sized Glocks.) Well, I soon realized that a G26 is just too useful, to be without one, even if I will only ever shoot it with my healthier left hand. As the panic-demic shortages of Glocks started being mitigated, a local dealer got a shipment of Gen3 Glocks, and I bought the G26.

I was on the look-out for pre-Gen5, as I still had some excellent holsters, that would not accommodate the “ambidextrous” slide manipulation lever.
The Gen3 Glock 26 is a phenomenal pistol, shoots way above it’s small size! My current daily carry is a HK P2000sk after carrying a G26 since 2005, it has many thousands of rounds through it!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Finally put the Gucci on my latest rifle.
Here is the rundown.

6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator
Magpul American Hunter Stock and three five-round magazines
Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50 scope with BDC reticle
Vortex Hunter medium height rings
Ruger Super Duty Tactical OP1 QD Bipod TL-BP78Q
(Aka China UTG Tactical Op Picatinny Mount Bipod.
Those 12-year old Chinese girls do good work.)
Olight rechargeable, rail mounted Tactical Light and remote switch
Pecawen plastic picatinny rail set
Norma 140 grain ammo to follow

If one of my cows dies,
I plan to move it with my tractor to a convenient distance
from the shooting bench on my terrace
and use the Olight at night to dispatch coyotes.
That is known as hunting over a deadpile.
Not very sporting, but not meant to be.

The shooting bench is 270 yards from my steel targets in the clay pit.

Formerly a lean 6.5 pounds, fully accessorized the Predator now tilts the scale at 11.5 pounds.
That extra five pounds makes it rival a chunky M1 Garand in weight.

Full disclosure: The 10-round magazine in the picture is there for visual impact.
The Magpul 10 rounder is not optimized for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
I use them on my .243 Ruger American Compact customized with the AI-style Predator stock.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just ordered a Holosun HE510C Green Dot for my Bren. Will be my first reflex sight.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Anyone looking for a good Holographic Reflex Sight consider the Holosun Elite Green Dot (HE510c) and, the Holosun x3 Magnifier.
I just got both in yesterday and I love em.
The window is huge, the glass clear, 3 sights to choose from, 50,000 hours of battery life ( has solar panels that helps ) shake awake feature- actually touch awake. It's just a really nice tandem imo.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:47 am
Smith and Wesson Model 27-2
Somehow, Mr. MacLaren's gorgeous 27-2 posted a month ago slipped by without comment.
Notice the price tag. To buy one today on Gunbroker.com, a person would have to add $1000+.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:29 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Somehow, Mr. MacLaren's gorgeous 27-2 posted a month ago slipped by without comment.
Notice the price tag. To buy one today on Gunbroker.com, a person would have to add $1000+.
Yeah, one just like mine would fetch at the very least $1,700 - $2k or more actually. They are going for a lot these days.
Especially the 3.5" versions.
I tell ya bro, there's nothing those Model 27's imo.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Ammo is so expensive, in order to squeeze the most out of it
I decided to buy a for real shooting rest.
These bags on Amazon only set me back $8
and so far they seem to be very well made.
But it took 10 pounds of beans to fill them up,
about $12 worth, so I'm down for $20.
Still less than one box of ammo.
Shown cradling a '50s vintage Winchester Model 70 in .220 Swift.

One might ask, why beans, Mad Mac, when you have all that free sand at your place.
Tried that once. Made a sandbag out of a bank coin bag. Left it out on the porch.
After a while it set up like concrete. Pounding it into shape produced a lot of dust through the cloth.

Well then, what about rice, one might ask. Tried that too using a discarded faux leather purse.
Left it out on the porch. By and by, the rice "bloomed" or puffed up.
Had to dump some out to soften up the purse again. Anyway, it didn't match my shoes.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Now that I have a for-real shooting rest, I figured I needed some for-real targets.
(See where this is going.) The t-posts were extra ones I had lying around.
Suspended from them are steel plates from ShootingTargets7.com.

Four-inch, 8-inch, 12-inch and 16-inch plates at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards.
Now I'm running out of excuses not to shoot.

Full disclosure. The 100-yard target in the picture is a six-inch plate.
Subsequently, I replaced it with a four-inch plate.
That way, it is four minutes-of-angle all the way front to back.
But I only need minute-of-coyote accuracy.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gosh Mac, I wish I could see your pics!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:25 pm
Darn Google Photos. Try these links.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8JgDdKVGaGLrhaot5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JDu1qRYnzuToTNTa6
Nice! Awesome set up man.
I would love to have 400+ yards at my disposal.
Most I can squeeze out is 300 yards.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:35 pm
Mad Mac wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Yeah, one just like mine would fetch at the very least $1,700 - $2k or more actually. They are going for a lot these days.
While the N frame is the original .357 magnum, It never fit my hand. I like K’s the best but acknowledge L seems to be the sweet spot between portability and durability. My first handgun was a 66 in 4” trim and I loved it. I have really changed tastes though and consider .357 too loud these days. Last purchase was either a Glock 42 or Glock 48, don’t remember which was last. The G42 gets carried a lot and the G48 was super accurate and reliable but I haven’t done much with it with ammo availability.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:44 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
While the N frame is the original .357 magnum, It never fit my hand. I like K’s the best but acknowledge L seems to be the sweet spot between portability and durability. My first handgun was a 66 in 4” trim and I loved it. I have really changed tastes though and consider .357 too loud these days. Last purchase was either a Glock 42 or Glock 48, don’t remember which was last. The G42 gets carried a lot and the G48 was super accurate and reliable but I haven’t done much with it with ammo availability.
I hear ya bro. I love a K frame. I have a 19-3 that I will never part with. It was my dad's service revolver that he retired with. It's a 2.5" barrel.
OTOH, I have to say that I have never ever had a gun feel as good in the hand as my 27-2 does bro.
There's never been a semi automatic come close to matching the ergos of the model 27-2 with the 3 T's
(1) Target Hammer, (2) Target Trigger, (3) Target Grips.
It just melts into my hand. Double action and cocking to single action is just so natural. I love it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:

I hear ya bro. I love a K frame. I have a 19-3 that I will never part with. It was my dad's service revolver that he retired with. It's a 2.5" barrel.
OTOH, I have to say that I have never ever had a gun feel as good in the hand as my 27-2 does bro.
There's never been a semi automatic come close to matching the ergos of the model 27-2 with the 3 T's
It just melts into my hand. Double action and cocking to single action is just so natural. I love it.
Probably should have added I have very medium sized hands…I’m sure that’s the issue for me!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:36 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

Probably should have added I have very medium sized hands…I’m sure that’s the issue for me!
Well, it's not that I have extra large hands. I forgot to ask, did that model 27 you held, did it have target grips? Mine has target grips as mentioned before and that why I think I love mine so much. Now, my model 19-3 does not have target grips, and I wish it did.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Precision sized pistoleros may also be interested in the Ruger Security-Six, a small framed .357 from the '60s.
I found one in stainless steel at a gun show for my petite daughter when she went away to college in '88.
She took it with her to the gun range on a first date. He was a cop. They are still married.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:22 am
Precision sized pistoleros may also be interested in the Ruger Security-Six, a small framed .357 from the '60s.
I found one in stainless steel at a gun show for my petite daughter when she went away to college in '88.
She took it with her to the gun range on a first date. He was a cop. They are still married.
That's AWESOME bro. I love to hear stuff like that.
Congratulations Mac.
Ya know, my daughter will inherit my firearms.
One in particular, I think is just so right for her is my 1944 M1. A little paratrooper rifle in .30 cal that will just eat somethins arse up!! They handle so well. Perfect for her imo. That being said, she will also inherit a couple CZ Bren 805 SBR's.
But, I'm wandering what carry pistol would be best for her. If I do one thing in life, it will be getting her squared away on firearms - how to shoot, clean and store - at the very least. I dunno, maybe it's just me but, I want her to be not only armed but, to really know how to use a variety or firearms.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I really like the Rugers. I have a Speed Six 2 3/4th inch Blue I bought in Colorado the day I turned 21. I was in the army at Ft. Carson then and got a military discount and it cost me something like $170. I went back a few days later and bought a 6 inch bbl. Security Six also. I sold the 6 inch long ago but I'd never sell the short barrel . I have wanted a stainless 4 inch for a long time but it never seems to work out. They never seem to wear out or loosen up. I have shot almost all hot loads including some home loads and have never had trouble.

Working as an armorer at my state job I have seem S&W's and Colts have timing issues with less rounds that I've put through my Ruger(s). Mostly 125 grain stuff ran hot.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I could have and should have bought a short barreled speed six about 12 years ago when someone offered one to me for $300. I have regretted that one for a long time.

I like Rugers. I have thousands of very hot handloads through a GP100 and it is still in great shape. Mostly 158 gr SWC with a substantial charge of 2400. They are moving! That gun is a tank!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?