The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rgc

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by rgc »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:27 pm
Well went by the gun/pawn store today & paid off my new pistol - Springfield Hellcat Pro. Decided to step into the new world of compact handguns with full size capacity that can mount red dot sights. My old go-to handgun has been a Sig P225. This almost doubles the capacity & a red dot sight should be nice for my aging eyes. Now I just need to decided what red dot & get a holster.
But nothing can compare to the feel of a P225 in hand, at least for me. It is the one gun I wish I would have jumped on when I had my chance at one at a great price.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

rgc wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:39 pm
But nothing can compare to the feel of a P225 in hand, at least for me. It is the one gun I wish I would have jumped on when I had my chance at one at a great price.
I'm on my second one. Bought my 1st around 1992. Sold it around 1992 to fund a custom Beretta Elite II. Around 1994 I traded into another P225 that I have had since. It feels great in-hand and has an excellent DA/SA trigger. Probably the handgun I shoot the best. BUT, the Hellcat Pro is around the same size with a lot of modern advancements - ones that should make it a better handgun for my needs. While the trigger could use some work, I'll see how it breaks in. Of course I'm also looking at sending it to Ernest Langdon for a trigger job.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I still have not gotten around to shooting my new R7 Mako,
but here is yet another effusive Youtube video,
this one by Colion Noir.

Last edited by Mad Mac on Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I don't have a dog in this fight,
but I would be remiss if I did not mention
buy an R7 Mako OI by Monday
and get a $100 Kimber store credit.
https://www.r7mako.com/
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Really loving these older Smith's!!
rgc

Post by rgc »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:00 am
Wow, she is stunning!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
My favorite on the thread . 😀 Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanks guys!
I gotta say, these older Smiths are just incredibly nice. They are just so fun to handle and look at.
Smith & Wesson really had it goin on back then!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:52 pm
Thanks guys!
I gotta say, these older Smiths are just incredibly nice. They are just so fun to handle and look at.
The older S&W bluing is just as nice as older Colts . So deep and rich in color . Always liked the chamfered cylinders too . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:22 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thanks guys!
The older S&W bluing is just as nice as older Colts . So deep and rich in color . Always liked the chamfered cylinders too . Dan
Oh wow. That's huge Dan. That's really saying something man. Those older Colts were awesome from what I gather.
Dan, I just wish these revolvers weren't so darn expensive.....but, they really should be. They can't be made like that anymore. I actually have my eye on another one just like the one pictured. But, it's a 1950 model and it's incredibly beautiful! I really don't think I'll be able to afford it though.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Sig P238 rosewood...... These lil gems are hard to find lately.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:43 am
Sig P238 rosewood...... These lil gems are hard to find lately.
Would love to see it, if ya get a chance.
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Man that is quite beautiful! I think I've said this here before but I can almost hear and feel that single action, bet it brings a smile to your face!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Thanks guys!
Do you subscribe to G&A magazine ? Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Finally got around to trying out my new Kimber R7 Mako.
Walked to my range, about half a mile from the house.
It was near sunset and a beautiful day.

Shooting offhand standing, not from a rest.
13 +1 at the 12 inch plate from 13 yards.
The red dot takes some getting used to.
Had to settle down then started hitting better.
Hit 10 out of 14 for 71% hit factor.

Turned to the USPSA torso at 40 yards,
my Eli Dicken challenge.
11+1, hit 8 times for a 67% hit factor.
Eli had 8 out of 10 for an 80% hit factor.
I need to keep working at it.

Nothing to brag about
but for a 75 year old man,
first time out with the new Mako,
I'm pleased.
And I will use my shot timer next time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:36 am
MacLaren wrote:
Man that is quite beautiful! I think I've said this here before but I can almost hear and feel that single action, bet it brings a smile to your face!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Great shootin, Mac!!
& Dan, that last post of mine left out the commentary, lol......I'll have to write it again, 😠
But, to answer your question regarding G&A Magazine, I do not. What is it actually?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:44 pm
Great shootin, Mac!!
& Dan, that last post of mine left out the commentary, lol......I'll have to write it again, 😠
But, to answer your question regarding G&A Magazine, I do not. What is it actually?
Sorry , I was referring to Guns & Ammo magazine . They have a column by Garry James who answers questions about all types of firearms and values if he has enough information. It one of my first reads when I get a new issue . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:33 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:44 pm
Great shootin, Mac!!
Sorry , I was referring to Guns & Ammo magazine . They have a column by Garry James who answers questions about all types of firearms and values if he has enough information. It one of my first reads when I get a new issue . Dan
Oh, cool 😎
Yeah, that sounds fun to read.
Dan, I was able to buy the Smith & Wesson 4th Edition - it's a hardback book that has every model of a S&W & their values. But, those values change every darn day almost ( the older revolvers especially ) - its a cool book to have though. I was able to get it on special for $20 - they are usually $60 I think.
Dan, I'm gonna check that out....re: Guns & Ammo!
That sounds like some fun & interesting reading.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Btw, I think I scored pretty dang good on some .22LR ammo yesterday.
I was coming back home from Asheville yesterday & noticed that I had some extra time, so I stopped off at a Gun Shop my brother in law goes to. After browsing a little while, I noticed some Magtech .22LR ammo, a 500 round count (in a big pill bottle) for $20 otd - no tax either! Reg price was $49 - so, I bought 4,000 rounds - came to $160
That's. 04 cents per round. I'm kind wishing I had bought 10,000 rounds. But, I've got plenty of .22LR ammo already. & it would've cost me $400 for 10k rounds. It was a Black Friday deal the owner said.
So, keep your eyes peeled - you may find a great bargain.